Lilo and Stitch coming to Disneylands small world. Are we next?

Lee

Adventurer
Good lord....
All this fuss over a few new dolls in Small World?:brick::
Please. It's meaningless.
Look at the model in the photo. Those two time figures on the right? Cinderella and Prince Charming. Wow. How intrusive and wrong.:rolleyes:
db_2006_1214_HKDL_SmallWorld211.jpg

Personally, I think anything they do to Small World is bound to improve it. Heck, it might make me get on it for the first time in years. Actually, I think I have only ridden it once in the past 10 years, and that was just to see the results of the long refurb. New dolls...bring 'em on.:shrug:

DisneyAnole

If this is so false, find me one change/upgrade/whatever that these forums are for. You can't.

Anything that gets done gets complained about. A lot.

Which is why I don't take it seriously when stories come out that Disney checks forums for reactions. No matter what they do, everything is so negative, they can't possibly know if the idea is good or not.

Now, is everyone that way? No. But you will find a good number of members to complain about ANYTHING that gets done.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Haunted Mansion upgrade was revered.

WDWmagic people don't usually object when changes are made that are faithful to the spirit of the original.

InfernalPenguin

It's like Lucas said about the prequels: "You're never going to please the die-hard fans. They make their own little movie in their head, and if you didn't make their movie, they'll start writing letters and boycotts"

...and I'm one of those sort of Die Hard fans so I totally GET where everyone is coming with all the criticism, but really, it's a little much for something so innocent.

If they switch out Carousel of Progress for "Ham & Rex's Carousell of Toy-gress, sponsored by Mattel all rights reserved", THEN go ahead and talk all you want about a character invasion.

DisneyAnole

Good lord....
Look at the model in the photo. Those two time figures on the right? Cinderella and Prince Charming. Wow. How intrusive and wrong.:rolleyes:

Personally, I think anything they do to Small World is bound to improve it. Heck, it might make me get on it for the first time in years. Actually, I think I have only ridden it once in the past 10 years, and that was just to see the results of the long refurb. New dolls...bring 'em on.:shrug:

Doesn't matter what dolls they add, people are always going to about the song. So they might as well leave the ride alone.

Maybe they can update the song by having an American Idol winner sing it...

Ehhh...better not give 'em any ideas.

DisneyAnole

It's like Lucas said about the prequels: "You're never going to please the die-hard fans. They make their own little movie in their head, and if you didn't make their movie, they'll start writing letters and boycotts"

...and I'm one of those sort of Die Hard fans so I totally GET where everyone is coming with all the criticism, but really, it's a little much for something so innocent.

If they switch out Carousel of Progress for "Ham & Rex's Carousell of Toy-gress, sponsored by Mattel all rights reserved", THEN go ahead and talk all you want about a character invasion.

Good point. Why don't they add Woody and Jessie to Big Thunder Mountain? That ride is BEGGING for a character overlay!! And it'd be Pixar to boot!

InfernalPenguin

Good point. Why don't they add Woody and Jessie to Big Thunder Mountain? That ride is BEGGING for a character overlay!! And it'd be Pixar to boot!

Is that a hint of sarcasm I detect?

You're taking it too far, even with the term "overlay". You make it sound like Small World will suddenly turn into a montage of disney movies.

There's a big difference between that and what is being hinted at. Remember, it's only just imagineers messing around after all.

Would it be terrible if they put woody or such into BTMRR? Well, if they suddenly themed the ride after it, yeah, it would! It'd be horrible. They might as well make Space Mountain Buzz themed while they're at it.

But I'll give you an example: Suppose they DID put a character into Mountain.... say The Prospector from the second movie, and it just so happened that his shadow was cast against a cave wall very subtly... or you saw some sort of reference to him in the town scene (dunno if that has some sort of official term). Would it change the "experience" all that much?

Now you might say to yourself "Well, even a subtle thing could alter something too much", and I can see what you mean. Imagine if you will if they sort of snuck in a Shere Khan somewhere in the bushes in Jungle Cruise. Subtle right? But hey, it's a cartoon figure in a "realistic" environment, and that means it pretty much "breaks" the experience. They could try to make him realistic.... but then he'd look like a normal tiger! So it doesn't work. Can't be done then.

With Small World your talking about a childish, cartoon environment, and as far as the characters, well they ARE cartoons and when morphed to fit whatever motif is being used they are still recognizable whilst keeping with the theme (look at those "cute" pins with mickey and pooh and donald. They look very hello-kitty ish... but you can still tell it's them).

Picture it. You're going through the polynesian section of IASW. Look at the hula girls.

Hula girl -> Hula girl - Hula girl -> Hey, that one sorta looks like Lilo. Look closer and somewhere in the background you spy a suspicious looking hawaiian "dog"... who's apparently blue. Small giggle. You point it out to your kids. They giggle.

The ride continues. The rest of it looks EXACTLY as it always has.

In the words of every single doctor everywhere: "There, now that wasn't so bad, now was it?"

Heck, I'm probably exaggerating. I bet it'll be even more subtle.

In fact, worse things have been done as far as "overlay". Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a disney park knowledge database) but Countdown to Extinction as it once was before was not Dinosaur (the movie) themed, was it? Now that might not matter because it's not "defacing" some sort of classic ride, but I've actually been a bit upset I never got to ride the original version. We're talking about taking an original disney experience and pretty much making it the movie's ride, like that joke I said earlier about making Space Mountain Buzz-themed. "Buzz's Rocket Tour" or something.

PotC now houses a movie-related storyline... and THAT'S a big classic. In my personal opinion the changes did little to tarnish the original ride. I think it was a pretty clever yet not too intrusive way to tie them both together. But if you wanna talk about "overlays".... I don't even wanna know what sort of riots ensued around here about that.

Like I said before, it seems like such a big fuss over something so small that may or may not be done.

Call me when they add "Tim Burton's" to The Haunted Mansion and then I'll sign the petition, join the picket line, et cetera.

JimboJones123

Good lord....

Lee once again points out how pety this board can be sometimes.

Usually these arguements are good for a good 20 minutes of chuckles, but this one wasn't. I really stopped reading and skimming after 4 pages. I'm actually disappointed in you members this time around. We don't need to throw words like "nazi" in and "majority" anymore. Come up with new and creative insults.

First of all -- none of our opinions can be concidered the MAJORITY. So quite claiming to know what that is.

Looking at this and thinking about the concept, it WILL change the "tone" of the attraction. Maybe not a lot. But it will change. Now this "tone" change could go many different ways.

It could turn into another Disney Commercial. Oversynergy at it's finest.

It could be non-intrusive and if done in the spirit of MB, it could be really cute to pull things together. No it would no longer have it's unique quality of seperation from "Mainstream Disney". That is one of the cool things about many of these E-ticket attractions. They actually take you to an even deeper level of escapism. It's like the reverse of the Allegory of the Cave. Where pressing yet another level away from reality is actually the goal. It's something that Disney Parks have been forgetting. That an Escape from Disney at Disney is a great balance from being constantly Mousercized.

But in some cases, the experience can be tweeked and made to work. I haven't been on Nemo or Mexico rides, but I can't envision a situation where the overall experience isn't at least enhanced for a visitor that's been on the attractions before. I don't know what % of Disney guests have been to a park before on any given day. I don't know if there is a stat for that. But if this does translate into a whimisical very minor subtle addition.... this could be a HUGE transition to advancing the attraction.

It will be interesting if things move forward, what way to go. I could see if being something really neat and bring smiles to faces, but I could see much more charm lost than gained as well.

But if you are going to be disrespectful to your fellow poster, be more creative and fun. Saying that your opinions are more better than the other person and vice versa for 5 pages is kinda pointless. I bet neither side will budge by the time it is done.

DisneyAnole

With Small World your talking about a childish, cartoon environment, and as far as the characters, well they ARE cartoons and when morphed to fit whatever motif is being used they are still recognizable whilst keeping with the theme (look at those "cute" pins with mickey and pooh and donald. They look very hello-kitty ish... but you can still tell it's them).

Picture it. You're going through the polynesian section of IASW. Look at the hula girls.

Hula girl -> Hula girl - Hula girl -> Hey, that one sorta looks like Lilo. Look closer and somewhere in the background you spy a suspicious looking hawaiian "dog"... who's apparently blue. Small giggle. You point it out to your kids. They giggle.

The ride continues. The rest of it looks EXACTLY as it always has.

I guess one principal objection would be that these characters will look incongruous in the Mary Blair atmosphere.

The dolls in IASW are very stylized (as are the backgrounds and all the art design in the attraction). Maybe they'll present stylized versions of the Disney characters. That would help to integrate them into the surroundings, but I guess the other thing I find interesting about this is how we have yet another attraction that is currently un-characterized, and Disney feels the need to brand it with the characters.

How many attractions at MK don't have a film connection?

Jungle Cruise
Big Thunder
Small World
Space Mtn
TTA
COP
Those horrible space-wasting kiddie cars in TL

COP's on the cutting block. Is a Jungle Cruise movie still in the works? They might decide to put the characters in IASW (a big if I realize).

Don't look now, but Big Thunder and Space could soon be the only major attractions that are independent of movie tie-ins.

JimboJones123

I would like to see in the French section, an Archdeacon attempting to rape a gypsy. That would be fun.

Or maybe add the famous stampede scene to the Africa part.

SDav10495

After much careful review of the Miceage article and this thread, a few thoughts came to mind.

a) Disney characters are really cute!
b) Disney characters are really not real.
c) They're not real.
d) No, I'm pretty positive they're not real.

So how on earth does the addition of characters from Disney movies, however unobtrusive, strengthen a ride dedicated to the real children of the world? Aesthetically, I understand that characters like Cinderella and her Prince wouldn't get in the way of the rest of the ride--hell, they're all from the hand of Mary Blair, and I think she's one of the most fantastic things ever to happen to WED. I even understand that modern characters like *shudder* Stitch could be rendered in such a way that they'd blend in with their surroundings.

But I'm sorry, I've gotta say...even if it's visually subtle and tasteful, this looks like a pretty big blow to the ride conceptually.

Yes, I know that the children portrayed in IASW are almost all postcard-perfect stereotypes of their countries. But they all represent the actual children of those countries, and those countries' cultures. Face it, even if a Disney character has its origin in a certain country, we associate them too much with their fantastical stories for them to actually stand for a foreign culture as well as the current dolls do. Whether it's Aladdin in the Middle East or Lilo in Hawaii, we see the characters and recognize that they're from a made-up story--and suddenly they've distracted us from the ride's theme of celebrating actual cultures (cultures from Earth and not from Magic Happy Land). The characters might be jaw-droppingly beautiful, they might elicit precious smiles, but I maintain that they will do nothing to strengthen the ride. The addition might be cute, but it would dilute the point of the ride and is totally lazy Imagineering.

And about those precious smiles--please, enough with "it's what the children want". Obviously they'd love the characters, but this is not a change that needs to be made for the poor children's sake. Kids enjoy IASW quite enough without the Disney characters, thank you very much, and the last I checked there was no shortage of characters in the rides immediately surrounding the Small World building. Let them get their character fix where it's more appropriate.

dxwwf3

My first reaction to this was complete shock and disappointment, BUT if the characters added are the same type design as the other dolls and do not really stick out, it might not be that bad. Still, what is wrong with some original attractions every now and then? It's frustrating for sure.

But I do wish they would leave the Disneyland version character free. They've got the Storybook Land Canal Boats right across the way and do not really need the additions. I know there are no "characters" in that attraction, but it would still be overkill, IMO. Since we don't have that ride and there's not a whole lot at the MK that is sacred, it wouldn't really bother me if they do it here or not.

DisneyAnole

So how on earth does the addition of characters from Disney movies, however unobtrusive, strengthen a ride dedicated to the real children of the world? Aesthetically, I understand that characters like Cinderella and her Prince wouldn't get in the way of the rest of the ride--hell, they're all from the hand of Mary Blair, and I think she's one of the most fantastic things ever to happen to WED. I even understand that modern characters like *shudder* Stitch could be rendered in such a way that they'd blend in with their surroundings.

Just to be clear, did Mary Blair do character design on Cinderella? According to imdb, she was credited with "color styling" and I believe she may have produced some conceptual art for a few of the animated features from the 1950's. But the characters as we know them today are not, as you say, "from the hand of Mary Blair." Right?

InfernalPenguin

I keep hearing Small World referred to in terms of "appropriateness" like it's some sort of holy shrine.

It's a RIDE folks.

...and honestly, I can't really remember the last time I went on it thinking "Ah, look at all the various children representing their fantastic cultures! Look! It's the mexican children all happy celebrating the day of the dead! And look over there! (insert region of the world)!"

No. Mostly I'm going "It's a smaaaaall wooooorld aaaaaafter all. It's a smaaaall wooooowlrd aaaaaafter all. It's a smaaaall wooooorld aaaaafter all. It's a smaaaaall, smaaaaall wooooooooorld!"... and then it takes a good 2 to 3 hours to get it outta my head.

I don't really think the kids in England are going to be writing angry, insulted letters because someone put Peter Pan's shadow on the wall... or god forbid made a little cute peter pan doll somewhere in the corner of the room. I don't think arab kids are shedding a tear of injury because Aladdin got snuck into the middle-eastern portion.

I mean, really? Really? You're making a big deal about this? The most this is going to change is someone is going to take pictures of the ride while singing the song and looking at the pretty dolls... then they'll notice a character, and go "HEY LOOK IT'S (character name here) OVER THERE!" Take a picture and moooooove on down the line. Very...very....very distracting.

We wouldn't want stupid, harmless, innocent fun getting in the way of the education and spirit of unity involved in It's a Small World, would we? Not at DISNEY WORLD! No stupid, pointless fun at disney world!

If you care about the kids THIS much, and they go through with these HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE, DECIETFUL AND DISGRACEFUL additions to such a proper and graceful ride such as IASW, then send them letters by all means. Petition they add a Unicef collection thingie at the end of the ride, on top of donating the coins in the water. That'd be a good one.

Well, I mean, people will be too busy ranting and raving about how they saw Stitch in the ride to care at all about Unicef... or children... or their cultures... to donate, but every little bit helps. Right?

Oh, just to break my mean streak, I think it'd be AWESOME if Stitch was in the ride somewhere. I was thinking about it, and given the fact that the mischeif-factor for him is being played up so much (especially with the pins) I think it'd be hilarious if they snuck him in somehow.

In fact, I propose a new trend: Hidden Stitches. It's even a clever play on words!

I'd look for 'em.

dxwwf3

Oh, just to break my mean streak, I think it'd be AWESOME if Stitch was in the ride somewhere. I was thinking about it, and given the fact that the mischeif-factor for him is being played up so much (especially with the pins) I think it'd be hilarious if they snuck him in somehow.

While I'm not completely against any possible change, enough is enough. I'd rather see Hannah Montana in there :ROFLOL:

InfernalPenguin

Well, you better get used to Wall-E being everywhere at least.... when that movie comes out his cuteness will bring down barriers and open doors.

Just imagine: He rolls into WDI offices.....asks if he can be in the last scene for IASW....

You think you could say no? Stare into those big, googly sad eyes and say it to his faceplate! And while you're at it you might wanna go to work on those baby seals...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom