Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

BroganMc

No kidding its pure BS. Give me a break; "obsolete" technology? Hey, idiots over at WDI: its called UPGRADING!:fork:

Agreed. Complete and total BS used as lamo excuses to cover some exec's poor decision-making ability.

Granted those lights are expensive to run. They are incandescent bulbs in a series IIRC. But they had a whole year to plan and build an updated replacement with cheaper LEDs.

Methinks management is showing more of its poor skills this year. I've been hearing a lot of grumbling from CMs about the poor managers over there. I'm beginning to believe we have a serious problem.

Disney Corp needs to restructure their management team at WDW. The bean counters will drive away an already dwindling crowd by killing the show.

TimNRA757

I think this is the first time in my life when I've been truly upset with Disney enough to question their way of thinking. No, I take that back, this is the second time, meaning Disney has two strikes against them from me now (the first time was the death of 2D animation).

My mom's already considering going in January instead of December from now on. And I REALLY want my Christmas fix of Disney :fork:
Now that I think about it, this is more upsetting than 20K. I was only in kindergarten when 20K closed and that's easy to just blame on Eisner screwing things up as usual. For this to happen now with him gone is most upsetting.

TURKEY

Although I agree about the obsolete technology quote, blaming WDI here is not right, it's not their choice to make these cuts.

I don't know that anyone has blamed WDI other than somehow not coming up with tech that would work. I think everyone is readily admitting this is cutting costs and coming from TDO, not WDI.

Now I see someone quote and and edit. I think it was WDI at first and then changed to TDO maybe.

raven

Last year I didn't notice many decorations in the Land pavilion, yet I know 4-5 years ago there were plenty of decorations in there, too.

And the tree will be nice, I'm sure, but I doubt it will compare to the tree and the corridor of lights leading up to it.

There is a tree at the entrance of Garden Grill as well as a small tree by the payphones near the exit of Circle of Life on the lower level. These were there on Monday night but more decorations may have been added now.

EPCOT Explorer

twin, they are not...:(

@DisneyParks You regard, or lack there of, for your consumers is dastardly, too. Confirming something on Twitter? At least be professional

:lookaroun

EPCOTExplorer on Twitter, BTW, if you want to join in on the Tweeting/Retweeting fun.:lookaroun

hpyhnt 1000

Although I agree about the obsolete technology quote, blaming WDI here is not right, it's not their choice to make these cuts.

I think I edited that quote just as you posted... (look at what you quoted) :lookaroun

Originally I did have WDI, but then realized right after I posted that they are not to blame here. :eek:

TDO is definitely responsible. :mad:

hpyhnt 1000

I don't know that anyone has blamed WDI other than somehow not coming up with tech that would work. I think everyone is readily admitting this is cutting costs and coming from TDO, not WDI.

Now I see someone quote and and edit. I think it was WDI at first and then changed to TDO maybe.

Yeah, sorry about that! :eek: I realized right after I posted I was blaming the wrong people. I tried to be quick about editing but I wasn't fast enough. :lol:

sspritexx

Hmm....

Hi!

I'm new here and just wanted to pose a couple of questions. Don't the Lights of Winter utilize exactly the same technology as the Osborne Lights? And if so, what are the implications?

TURKEY

Hi!

I'm new here and just wanted to pose a couple of questions. Don't the Lights of Winter utilize exactly the same technology as the Osborne Lights? And if so, what are the implications?

No, they upgraded the Osborne lights a year or so ago because they have a sponsor and without the lights there wouldn't be much reason to go to the Studios during the holidays.

EPCOT Explorer

My favorite Tweet thus far from our own SweetMagic :D :

RT @Sweetrock5: @DisneyParks So, wait... outdated technology... AT EPCOT CENTER?!? Oh my.

:lol::sohappy:

nbodyhome

How do you find that?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-blog-weekly-recap-3/comment-page-4/#comments

The posts are climbing too, I am glad about that. For some reason, this has hit me harder than anything Disney has done - and it bothers me that they weren't even going to say anything, like the Lights of Winter had never even happened. You can't pull people in emotionally (which is how Disney has built it's business) and then expect them not to notice when you remove something that has special meaning to so many. Epcot will never be the same for me without the lovely canopy of lights that connects Future World and World Showcase. And it really has made me think about how much has been taken away over the years (even though Disney has added some things as well, more has disappeared).

PalisadesPkteer

Just joined Twitter and put in 2 tweets about not having LoW.

Without LoW I think I will go to Sea World or Uni on this upcoming trip.

Not going to let them get away with this one...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi!

Yes basically they do. Both the Lights of Winter and the Osbornes are a series of light bulbs (either regular bulbs or LED), connected in groups (channels) to a controller. The controller then uses timecode (like a musical score) to turn on and off (or dim), the channels at specific times. This gives the moving light effect.

If they had a desire to do so, running the Lights of Winter would not be an issue.

TalkingHead

There is a tree at the entrance of Garden Grill as well as a small tree by the payphones near the exit of Circle of Life on the lower level. These were there on Monday night but more decorations may have been added now.

Seems they also used to have garland/wreaths around the inside. I realize garland is probalby harder to install than a tree. You can set a tree up and you're good to go. Garland requires a little more effort. Perhaps that's why they no longer do it (or didn't last year IIRC).

Point is, the loss of LoW is a big blow to the festive atmosphere that Disney used to excel at creating. It used to be when you went to WDW at Xmas you knew you were going to see the parks in a "special" mode. The lights on the Castle are obviously a great "plus", but look at what's been lost, too. Country Bears Xmas Show, MK's Xmas Parade, LoW, decorations, etc.

It just seems like for the average day guest who isn't willing to shell out extra money for MVMCP and reserved seating for CP, the offerings are becoming more and more limited, and that makes the parks during the Xmas season seem less and less special.

EPCOT Explorer

Yes basically they do. Both the Lights of Winter and the Osbornes are a series of light bulbs (either regular bulbs or LED), connected in groups (channels) to a controller. The controller then uses timecode (like a musical score) to turn on and off (or dim), the channels at specific times. This gives the moving light effect.

If they had a desire to do so, running the Lights of Winter would not be an issue.
Can I just go up there and assemble them myself?:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom