Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Disneyfanman

I come from a family of journalists who worked for major newspapers. The newspapers were always looking for ways to cut costs without impacting popularity.

They had lots of ways to judge popularity, but a very common one would be to drop an expensive feature with little or no explanation. They saved money for a little while, but their real intention was to judge the furor of the customers. If people were mildly upset they would hear from a few folks. But if people were really POd they would get phone calls, letters, and complaints in person.

100 pages of complaints on the Lights? Disney is probably counting emails and phone calls as well. Then there will be a meeting and if the stink is sour enough the lights will be back better than ever. They are not stupid, and take all of this very seriously. Christmas Season is one of the biggest draws to the resort. They are NOT going to ignore guests who complain.

EPCOT Explorer

I come from a family of journalists who worked for major newspapers. The newspapers were always looking for ways to cut costs without impacting popularity.

They had lots of ways to judge popularity, but a very common one would be to drop an expensive feature with little or no explanation. They saved money for a little while, but their real intention was to judge the furor of the customers. If people were mildly upset they would hear from a few folks. But if people were really POd they would get phone calls, letters, and complaints in person.

100 pages of complaints on the Lights? Disney is probably counting emails and phone calls as well. Then there will be a meeting and if the stink is sour enough the lights will be back better than ever. They are not stupid, and take all of this very seriously. Christmas Season is one of the biggest draws to the resort. They are NOT going to ignore guests who complain.

I would certainly hope so, but when have they done this in the past? :(

Things do change, though, and maybe this would show them.

Ashitaka

Well said, and I have to agree with most of it, though I do doubt that I could ever NOT get excited to go. :eek:
Yeah, frankly I was highly shocked when I realized that I no longer was that excited about the trip to WDW. I almost wondered if something was medically wrong. :lol:

But now Vegas, Baby! Vegas! and I'm excited for my vacation again.

So I guess it was just the pixie dust wearing off.

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, frankly I was highly shocked when I realized that I no longer was that excited about the trip to WDW. I almost wondered if something was medically wrong. :lol:

But now Vegas, Baby! Vegas! and I'm excited for my vacation again.

So I guess it was just the pixie dust wearing off.

How often did you go prior? Maybe you just need a break.

Thurp

I really cannot think of a single letter/email/call campaign that has worked in order to bring something back to WDW.

Ashitaka

How often did you go prior? Maybe you just need a break.
Not too often these past few years. The last time was October '08 which was different than prior trips as it was the first time we took a child (my girlfriend's niece).

Before that it was December '07. But then it goes back to a couple of trips around 2003/4. I used to go a lot more often in the '90s.

EPCOT Explorer

Not too often these past few years. The last time was October '08 which was different than prior trips as it was the first time we took a child (my girlfriend's niece).

Before that it was December '07. But then it goes back to a couple of trips around 2003/4. I used to go a lot more often in the '90s.

Ah, OK. I thought it would be a constant thing for you.

I'm on the same schedule, roughly.

TONS of trips in the 90's. Maybe 5 one day trips in the past 7 years....This upcoming one will actually be the first multiday trip since 2000. And the first one to go to THREE parks. :lol:

EPCOTPluto

No...:lookarounI'm a tad claustrophobic, if anything.

And I prefer to keep my stomach in it's place and not in my throat. :wave:
Go alone or with a companion who isn't terrified of claustrophobia at night. That's what I did on Halloween night this year. :D

But that's the delight of TOT! Your organs can go in places where they never have gone before! :lookaroun:zipit:

DisneyNut2007

Let's hope that they're doing that very same thing in regards to the equal amounts of complaints that they've been recieving regarding the removals of the Country Bear Xmas show, Mickey's Tree-Lighting Treat, Mickey's 'Twas the Night Before Xmas, etc.

EPCOT Explorer

^ Nah, I'm fine with heights.Empire State Building, WTC, Grand Canyon, I was fine. :king:
Go alone or with a companion who isn't terrified of claustrophobia at night. That's what I did on Halloween night this year. :D

But that's the delight of TOT! Your organs can go in places where they never have gone before! :lookaroun:zipit:

That would be Krankenstein. I shall be breaking his arm on multiple times this trip.:):lookaroun

harryk

There are reasons.

As Lee said, patience.

Yup, patience -- soon it will be Jan 6th, the last day of the Christmas Season and the lights will not be necessary and a total afterthought.

-- Wait until next year .... the old slogan of the Boston Red Sox.... that took over 80 years...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom