Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

EPCOT Explorer

I’m about to do something I would have never believed I would ever do barring, God forbid, some sort of family medical emergency.

I’m canceling a trip to Disney World.

My girlfriend and I were all booked at the Yacht Club for the first week of March, taking advantage of the buy 4, get 3 deal. We had some dining reservations all made (Flying Fish Café, Brown Derby, Yak & Yeti) and had the Around the World Segway tour booked.

So, you ask, what does a March trip have to do with this thread on LoW? It is not like I would have been seeing, or not seeing and missing as the case may be, these holiday decorations.

And yet, TDO’s decision to deem the LoW obsolete (yeah, right) is what caused my decision. I had booked the trip and made a couple payments on it in the couple of weeks before the LoW news broke. I was in that excited period of rereading guidebooks, researching things, planning our days and looking at the picture of the day threads. It was to be our first time at an EPCOT area resort and I was looking forward to being able to relax at the pool and when we got hungry, just walking over to World Showcase for some food and drinks.

But then Disney’s lousy decision to cut back on holiday decorations at EPCOT really bummed me out. And it just became…that proverbial final straw. My excitement dissipated. I wondered what more they might cut back at the Flower & Garden Festival while we would be there. That Disney magic…went poof. No longer was I eager to get there.

Then came the holiday expenses and started to mount. And there are still many things we need to buy for the apartment we moved into back in August. Wow, we have to have that package all paid off 45 days before arrival? Mid-January? And still raise enough spending cash to cover our expenses while there? Now, we could have covered all this. I would not have booked it if we couldn’t. But it would have taken cuts elsewhere and done some work to manage it. If I were still excited for the trip, no problem. But now…I’m just not feeling that magic. Disney decided to say “Bah Humbug.” Am I really willing to make those sacrifices and spend all that money to go somewhere I’ve been to a dozen times or more over the past 20 years?

I finally dared raising the issue with my girlfriend over the weekend, knowing what her answer would be once I opened that door. She enjoys Disney and has gone a couple of times with me in the past three years. But I am the fanatic here. She would rather go somewhere new, but was willing to go Disney World again if that made me happy. Upon hearing my suggestion that maybe we rethink our trip and possibly go somewhere both new and cheaper, she hesitated just a bit then completely went for it. We spent a day and a half doing some research as to what location would work for that week of vacation (we both already had that time approved off). Then we decided.

Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Neither of us has ever been and her favorite cousin lives there. We’ll see the sites, I’ll play some poker, and we’ll make a few day trips such as to Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. It will be fun and a whole lot cheaper than staying at the Yacht Club.

So maybe TDO needs to start realizing a decision like saving a few bucks by not putting up some well-loved holiday decorations can have lasting impacts. My trip wasn’t even scheduled for the holidays, and yet this foolish decision and the disrespect of their “obsolete” excuse cost them about $5,000 of my money. And very possibly more of my money in the future.
Fantastic. Tell them...Call, write, email, anything. This is what they need to hear.

s8film40

Then we decided.

Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

A very good choice. With the slow economy Vegas instead of raising prices like Disney is doing they have been putting out some great deals. You'll have a much better vacation and save money as well.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I’m about to do something I would have never believed I would ever do barring, God forbid, some sort of family medical emergency.

My girlfriend and I were all booked at the Yacht Club for the first week of March, taking advantage of the buy 4, get 3 deal. We had some dining reservations all made (Flying Fish Café, Brown Derby, Yak & Yeti) and had the Around the World Segway tour booked.

So, you ask, what does a March trip have to do with this thread on LoW? It is not like I would have been seeing, or not seeing and missing as the case may be, these holiday decorations.

And yet, TDO’s decision to deem the LoW obsolete (yeah, right) is what caused my decision. I had booked the trip and made a couple payments on it in the couple of weeks before the LoW news broke. I was in that excited period of rereading guidebooks, researching things, planning our days and looking at the picture of the day threads. It was to be our first time at an EPCOT area resort and I was looking forward to being able to relax at the pool and when we got hungry, just walking over to World Showcase for some food and drinks.

But then Disney’s lousy decision to cut back on holiday decorations at EPCOT really bummed me out. And it just became…that proverbial final straw. My excitement dissipated. I wondered what more they might cut back at the Flower & Garden Festival while we would be there. That Disney magic…went poof. No longer was I eager to get there.

Then came the holiday expenses and started to mount. And there are still many things we need to buy for the apartment we moved into back in August. Wow, we have to have that package all paid off 45 days before arrival? Mid-January? And still raise enough spending cash to cover our expenses while there? Now, we could have covered all this. I would not have booked it if we couldn’t. But it would have taken cuts elsewhere and done some work to manage it. If I were still excited for the trip, no problem. But now…I’m just not feeling that magic. Disney decided to say “Bah Humbug.” Am I really willing to make those sacrifices and spend all that money to go somewhere I’ve been to a dozen times or more over the past 20 years?

I finally dared raising the issue with my girlfriend over the weekend, knowing what her answer would be once I opened that door. She enjoys Disney and has gone a couple of times with me in the past three years. But I am the fanatic here. She would rather go somewhere new, but was willing to go Disney World again if that made me happy. Upon hearing my suggestion that maybe we rethink our trip and possibly go somewhere both new and cheaper, she hesitated just a bit then completely went for it. We spent a day and a half doing some research as to what location would work for that week of vacation (we both already had that time approved off). Then we decided.

Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Neither of us has ever been and her favorite cousin lives there. We’ll see the sites, I’ll play some poker, and we’ll make a few day trips such as to Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. It will be fun and a whole lot cheaper than staying at the Yacht Club.

So maybe TDO needs to start realizing a decision like saving a few bucks by not putting up some well-loved holiday decorations can have lasting impacts. My trip wasn’t even scheduled for the holidays, and yet this foolish decision and the disrespect of their “obsolete” excuse cost them about $5,000 of my money. And very possibly more of my money in the future.

Wow, great stand by you and the absolute best way for WDW to understand their decisions have real consequences. Enjoy your trip to Vegas. I've got to get out there myself some day....:rolleyes:

Lee

Adventurer
Jeez.....lot of grief over some christmas lights.:shrug:
Cancelling trips? Seriously?:hammer:

Settle down folks. Give it some time. You'll feel better.;)

EPCOT Explorer

^ I view it as the straw that broke the camel's back. It's one cut that impacts a lot, and is also on top of all the other cuts and price increases that we have seen. Individually, no...It's not THAT bad, but still. :lol:

AAKA, great job.

I wish we would never have bought into the vacation club. I would be going elsewhere as well. :mad:

TELL. THEM. THAT. DVC is the basis for a lot of these "travel company" issues.

cdunbar

Hmm...I smell good info...I know you can't share but can you give perhaps a one word clue????:lol:

DisneyNut2007

Well, I'll feel even better when the MK decides to resume offering the Country Bear Xmas show and also when they decide to add the Haunted Mansion and Small World holiday overlays to their holiday offering line-up.

Hope you can say something positive regarding those as well, Mr. Smarty-Pants.

KRangerfan

I would hope that they are planning something to replace it. I was there this past weekend and it was depressing. It didnt feel like Christmas at all in the park. It also didnt help that half the lights on the EPCOT tree were out.

My question is, if they are planning on replacing the Lights, why not put them up this year until the replacement is ready?? Its not like the lights would interfere with next years decorations?? They didnt even have the large crystal snow balls (not sure what they are offically called) around the fountain.

Christi22222

Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Impressive post. I understand your decision completely. I have been in that space myself. The decision isn't final, but our Jan/Feb winter trip is likely to be to a new destination as well. Same sorts of reasons, but my straw was not LOW. Hopefully Disney "hears" you, but otherwise you have certainly empowered yourself. Kudos!

P.S. I agree with others....please send this post to the powers that be and get your message heard by Disney.

EPCOT Explorer

I would hope that they are planning something to replace it. I was there this past weekend and it was depressing. It didnt feel like Christmas at all in the park. It also didnt help that half the lights on the EPCOT tree were out.

My question is, if they are planning on replacing the Lights, why not put them up this year until the replacement is ready?? Its not like the lights would interfere with next years decorations?? They didnt even have the large crystal snow balls (not sure what they are offically called) around the fountain.

STILL!? Various members have talked about that, and Disney seems to do NOTHING about it! Such bad show.:mad::rolleyes:

It's one thing if it keeps breaking, and they keep fixing it, short of replacing it, but seriously?! It's EPCOT....Fix the lights?!!!:brick:

Ashitaka

^ I view it as the straw that broke the camel's back. It's one cut that impacts a lot, and is also on top of all the other cuts and price increases that we have seen. Individually, no...It's not THAT bad, but still. :lol:
That's what I feel. The excitment to cost ratio is currently out of whack, at least for me personally. I have never been one of the doom and gloom brigade, always complaining about what Disney is or isn't doing. And it is not like I'm raising my fist in outrage. It's just become, "meh...I've seen it all already, why bother?"

I'm just having trouble caring for a trip when Disney doesn't seem to think we will notice or care about some of these decisions they have been making: "Hey, no one is going to care if we close the Adventurers Club and pretty much all of Pleasure Island." "Hey, let's only have Fantasmic show two nights a week, people can still see if they get there really early or pay for a dinner package." "Bah, let's save some money by retiring LoW and not replacing it with anything. Who's even going to notice?"

I have only a limited amount of vacation time and money each year. I don't want to use it up in March by going to Disney and be disappointed to find that some other unannounced cutback that "no one will notice" has happened. So this year I'm chosing to go elsewhere.

At some point a trip to Disney World will excite me again. Perhaps when the FL expansion is done or some other major upgrade is completed. Until then, there are plenty of other places in the world to see.

Thanks to those of you who have applauded my move. Yes, I will be sending a letter to Disney about this.

EPCOT Explorer

That's what I feel. The excitment to cost ratio is currently out of whack, at least for me personally. I have never been one of the doom and gloom brigade, always complaining about what Disney is or isn't doing. And it is not like I'm raising my fist in outrage. It's just become, "meh...I've seen it all already, why bother?"

I'm just having trouble caring for a trip when Disney doesn't seem to think we will notice or care about some of these decisions they have been making: "Hey, no one is going to care if we close the Adventurers Club and pretty much all of Pleasure Island." "Hey, let's only have Fantasmic show two nights a week, people can still see if they get there really early or pay for a dinner package." "Bah, let's save some money by retiring LoW and not replacing it with anything. Who's even going to notice?"

I have only a limited amount of vacation time and money each year. I don't want to use it up in March by going to Disney and be disappointed to find that some other unannounced cutback that "no one will notice" has happened. So this year I'm chosing to go elsewhere.

At some point a trip to Disney World will excite me again. Perhaps when the FL expansion is done or some other major upgrade is completed. Until then, there are plenty of other places in the world to see.

Thanks to those of you who have applauded my move. Yes, I will be sending a letter to Disney about this.
Well said, and I have to agree with most of it, though I do doubt that I could ever NOT get excited to go. :eek:

I do feel akin to you about the cuts, though. There is too much of that detail, those little perks, and that uniqueness gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom