Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

That has got to be the most hard to comprehend post that I've read in a while.

I don't expect perfect grammar and spelling, but to have almost every other word be a typo, spelling error, or grammatical error is simply lazy and caused by either ignorance or not proof-reading. I hope it's the latter.

You have been accused of being a different poster because of this very similar posting "STYLE". So....either admit you are the same person or straighten up your act.

LOL its karma for ganging up on Vintage Epcot with a few other people. I never seen so many legit looking posts; I was expecting AIM type spelling allong with the initials for everything. I do see them for the attractions. So sorry for going off topic LOL... Now what about those Lights of Winter that will be celebrating this season alone in a lot?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
LOL its karma for ganging up on Vintage Epcot with a few other people. I never seen so many legit looking posts; I was expecting AIM type spelling allong with the initials for everything. I do see them for the attractions.

I never ganged up with anyone against vintagepcot.

And by-the-way...pioneer is spelled with two E's otherwise it is just "one who pion's" :lol:

Thurp

Completely off topic. I had an account in another forum called "The Spelling Fairy" and I'd hit people with my wand when they made awful spelling errors.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I never ganged up with anyone against vintagepcot.

And by-the-way...pioneer is spelled with two E's otherwise it is just "one who pion's" :lol:
Yeah I know but I had to ignore one letter. Your good for not ganging up. I felt so bad I wrote a personal apology note LOL.

Completely off topic. I had an account in another forum called "The Spelling Fairy" and I'd hit people with my wand when they made awful spelling errors.

My bad LOL. I doubt it but... Is there anything new about the lights of? Lets keep this thread going till christmas :).

Ps... Make those trees on the hideous fountain stage go off to music.

PhotoDave219

Can You guys take your personal beef's elsewhere? K Thx. :lookaroun

Has anyone heard of any internal Disney reaction to the backlash about the 'Lights of Winter' fiasco? Can any of our spies shed any light on whats being said to that money-saving Epcot manager?

JimboJones123

Glad to get my Celebrations mag in today with the article about the guy walking throught the Lights of Winter at Epcot. Do they not edit these articles an pass them through operations before print.

Or were they just pretending like it was this year?

Jacka$$es.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Glad to get my Celebrations mag in today with the article about the guy walking throught the Lights of Winter at Epcot. Do they not edit these articles an pass them through operations before print.

Jacka$$es.

If you're talking about the magazine I think you're talking about and I'm understanding you, its not an official publication. Disney has nothing to do with its production.

Figment1986

Jacka$$es.

Celebrations is a 3rd party magazine and thus may not be 100% accurate since articles are written ahead of time before changes are announced last minute.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Can You guys take your personal beef's elsewhere? K Thx. :lookaroun

Has anyone heard of any internal Disney reaction to the backlash about the 'Lights of Winter' fiasco? Can any of our spies shed any light on whats being said to that money-saving Epcot manager?

I was willing to say in a post a couple of days ago that they were doing cutbacks so the recession doesn't kill the parks. But then that would be their main excuse for the Lights of Winter.

Jacka$$es.

They do egzadurate things a bit but this has crossed the line. Remember the Reflections of earth commercial with the fireworks shooting over the audience and coming out of the American adventure building and the guys playing the giant drums to the show. They even showed the holograms which are long gone.

PhotoDave219

I was willing to say in a post a couple of days ago that they were doing cutbacks so the recession doesn't kill the parks. But then that would be their main excuse for the Lights of Winter.

No, I'm looking for people who have posted in this thread who are slightly closer to the situation and the decision markers.

We have Bothan Spies. I just wanna hear what they have to say.

PhotoDave219

Just remember what happened to those Bothans . . .

Probably why they're being quiet..... I'm just extremely curious as to whats being said internally.

.... as well as whats going to happen to Mister Money Saving manager. 110+ pages of negative comments from guest relations might play an impact come bonus time.

myawn

If not Disney, then who ....

Disney seems really uninterested in responding to customer feedback on this. I've written snail-mail letters to four executives, emails to two others, made phone calls to Guest Services, and plan to appear in person at Guest Services when I visit EPCOT this Friday. So far I've received one form letter in response, with no new information. Nearly 300 comments on the DisneyParks blog received no response other than a repost of the Twitter announcement.

Maybe we should be bringing this outcry to the attention of Universal instead? Since Disney engineers are incapable of fixing/updating Lights of Winter*, maybe Universal could construct a similar display to have in their parks next Christmas?

I for one would love the opportunity to vote with my travel dollars for the park most willing to provide the type of holiday experience I'm looking for; if Disney isn't willing to provide that, then my business is up for grabs.

(* yeah, I don't for a minute think this is a technology issue, but since that's the story they're giving us, I'll play along and believe that either their engineers are incompetent, or their management believes them to be).

EPCOT Explorer

Jacka$$es.
That would be a one Lou Mongello who never finds ANY fault with WDW or anything Disney.

I strongly suspect that he works for them in PR.

No, I'm looking for people who have posted in this thread who are slightly closer to the situation and the decision markers.

We have Bothan Spies. I just wanna hear what they have to say.
I do too....Keep us posted!

Ashitaka

I’m about to do something I would have never believed I would ever do barring, God forbid, some sort of family medical emergency.

I’m canceling a trip to Disney World.

My girlfriend and I were all booked at the Yacht Club for the first week of March, taking advantage of the buy 4, get 3 deal. We had some dining reservations all made (Flying Fish Café, Brown Derby, Yak & Yeti) and had the Around the World Segway tour booked.

So, you ask, what does a March trip have to do with this thread on LoW? It is not like I would have been seeing, or not seeing and missing as the case may be, these holiday decorations.

And yet, TDO’s decision to deem the LoW obsolete (yeah, right) is what caused my decision. I had booked the trip and made a couple payments on it in the couple of weeks before the LoW news broke. I was in that excited period of rereading guidebooks, researching things, planning our days and looking at the picture of the day threads. It was to be our first time at an EPCOT area resort and I was looking forward to being able to relax at the pool and when we got hungry, just walking over to World Showcase for some food and drinks.

But then Disney’s lousy decision to cut back on holiday decorations at EPCOT really bummed me out. And it just became…that proverbial final straw. My excitement dissipated. I wondered what more they might cut back at the Flower & Garden Festival while we would be there. That Disney magic…went poof. No longer was I eager to get there.

Then came the holiday expenses and started to mount. And there are still many things we need to buy for the apartment we moved into back in August. Wow, we have to have that package all paid off 45 days before arrival? Mid-January? And still raise enough spending cash to cover our expenses while there? Now, we could have covered all this. I would not have booked it if we couldn’t. But it would have taken cuts elsewhere and done some work to manage it. If I were still excited for the trip, no problem. But now…I’m just not feeling that magic. Disney decided to say “Bah Humbug.” Am I really willing to make those sacrifices and spend all that money to go somewhere I’ve been to a dozen times or more over the past 20 years?

I finally dared raising the issue with my girlfriend over the weekend, knowing what her answer would be once I opened that door. She enjoys Disney and has gone a couple of times with me in the past three years. But I am the fanatic here. She would rather go somewhere new, but was willing to go Disney World again if that made me happy. Upon hearing my suggestion that maybe we rethink our trip and possibly go somewhere both new and cheaper, she hesitated just a bit then completely went for it. We spent a day and a half doing some research as to what location would work for that week of vacation (we both already had that time approved off). Then we decided.

Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Neither of us has ever been and her favorite cousin lives there. We’ll see the sites, I’ll play some poker, and we’ll make a few day trips such as to Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. It will be fun and a whole lot cheaper than staying at the Yacht Club.

So maybe TDO needs to start realizing a decision like saving a few bucks by not putting up some well-loved holiday decorations can have lasting impacts. My trip wasn’t even scheduled for the holidays, and yet this foolish decision and the disrespect of their “obsolete” excuse cost them about $5,000 of my money. And very possibly more of my money in the future.

WDWGoof07

I’m about to do something I would have never believed I would ever do barring, God forbid, some sort of family medical emergency.

My girlfriend and I were all booked at the Yacht Club for the first week of March, taking advantage of the buy 4, get 3 deal. We had some dining reservations all made (Flying Fish Café, Brown Derby, Yak & Yeti) and had the Around the World Segway tour booked.

So, you ask, what does a March trip have to do with this thread on LoW? It is not like I would have been seeing, or not seeing and missing as the case may be, these holiday decorations.

And yet, TDO’s decision to deem the LoW obsolete (yeah, right) is what caused my decision. I had booked the trip and made a couple payments on it in the couple of weeks before the LoW news broke. I was in that excited period of rereading guidebooks, researching things, planning our days and looking at the picture of the day threads. It was to be our first time at an EPCOT area resort and I was looking forward to being able to relax at the pool and when we got hungry, just walking over to World Showcase for some food and drinks.

But then Disney’s lousy decision to cut back on holiday decorations at EPCOT really bummed me out. And it just became…that proverbial final straw. My excitement dissipated. I wondered what more they might cut back at the Flower & Garden Festival while we would be there. That Disney magic…went poof. No longer was I eager to get there.

Then came the holiday expenses and started to mount. And there are still many things we need to buy for the apartment we moved into back in August. Wow, we have to have that package all paid off 45 days before arrival? Mid-January? And still raise enough spending cash to cover our expenses while there? Now, we could have covered all this. I would not have booked it if we couldn’t. But it would have taken cuts elsewhere and done some work to manage it. If I were still excited for the trip, no problem. But now…I’m just not feeling that magic. Disney decided to say “Bah Humbug.” Am I really willing to make those sacrifices and spend all that money to go somewhere I’ve been to a dozen times or more over the past 20 years?

I finally dared raising the issue with my girlfriend over the weekend, knowing what her answer would be once I opened that door. She enjoys Disney and has gone a couple of times with me in the past three years. But I am the fanatic here. She would rather go somewhere new, but was willing to go Disney World again if that made me happy. Upon hearing my suggestion that maybe we rethink our trip and possibly go somewhere both new and cheaper, she hesitated just a bit then completely went for it. We spent a day and a half doing some research as to what location would work for that week of vacation (we both already had that time approved off). Then we decided.

Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Neither of us has ever been and her favorite cousin lives there. We’ll see the sites, I’ll play some poker, and we’ll make a few day trips such as to Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. It will be fun and a whole lot cheaper than staying at the Yacht Club.

So maybe TDO needs to start realizing a decision like saving a few bucks by not putting up some well-loved holiday decorations can have lasting impacts. My trip wasn’t even scheduled for the holidays, and yet this foolish decision and the disrespect of their “obsolete” excuse cost them about $5,000 of my money. And very possibly more of my money in the future.
I wouldn't cancel a trip for the reasons you give personally (nor do I think that WDW has reached that kind of low point, but I digress), but I do want to commend you for your post. Bravo! :sohappy: If WDW doesn't excite you anymore, why bother? I hope you have fun in Vegas.

If the rest of the fanboys that think WDW is stale and/or headed down the wrong path would do the same, you'd get the change and improvements you want a heck of a lot faster than by just griping on a message board between your biannual trips.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Be sure to let them know what and why you are doing this. Let your voice be heard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom