Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

hpyhnt 1000

I presumed the poster meant the nulti-color area lighting on the speaker poles that had been used during Tapestry... This would be separate from the the large Sychrolights on the rooftops, or the pop-up light poles for Illuminations (like the ones in Canada, France, Japan and Italy)

-Rob

Ah, possibly. Those haven't been used since, correct?

Curious.

Yes, I believe Exprcoofto was referring to the pathway light/speaker poles that have the blue WS banners on them. I have never seen those used since ToN/ToD was discontinued. I'm not exactly sure what he means by "pop up". I know in Canada, Japan, and a few other areas a few lights will pop up from the rocks, but those are for pavilion lighting during IllumiNations and, like Rob said, sperate from the former parade lights. The old parade lights have always been there clearly visible...

Basically, I don't know what to think and at this point, and I'm somewhat confused too... :lol::veryconfu

EPCOT Explorer

Yes, I believe Exprcoofto was referring to the pathway light/speaker poles that have the blue WS banners on them. I have never seen those used since ToN/ToD was discontinued. I'm not exactly sure what he means by "pop up". I know in Canada, Japan, and a few other areas a few lights will pop up from the rocks, but those are for pavilion lighting during IllumiNations and, like Rob said, sperate from the former parade lights. The old parade lights have always been there clearly visible...

Basically, I don't know what to think and at this point, and I'm somewhat confused too... :lol::veryconfu
No, he's referring to the MUCH larger "rigs" of lights that pop up from the roofs of the pavilions so as to light the promenade. :wave:

I have a inkling to what it's for, but meh.

hpyhnt 1000

No, he's referring to the MUCH larger "rigs" of lights that pop up from the roofs of the pavilions so as to light the promenade. :wave:

I have a inkling to what it's for, but meh.

Oh, those roof mounted ones? Well, that doesn't really surprise me to see those worked on; those are used every night for the assorted musical shows along WS Promenade. I know Morocco has some that pop up for when Mo'Rockin performs; the same for the drummers in Japan. I imagine they were probably working on the lighting for the holiday story tellers performances that will be starting. Nothing big there then. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

Oh, those roof mounted ones? Well, that doesn't really surprise me to see those worked on; those are used every night for the assorted musical shows along WS Promenade. I know Morocco has some that pop up for when Mo'Rockin performs; the same for the drummers in Japan. I imagine they were probably working on the lighting for the holiday story tellers performances that will be starting. Nothing big there then. :shrug:
Good, we are on the same page, then. :D:lol:

Though, I wonder if they'll need them in better working order for the Holidays...?:lookaroun

hpyhnt 1000

Good, we are on the same page, then. :D:lol:

Though, I wonder if they'll need them in better working order for the Holidays...?:lookaroun

Do you know something the rest of us don't? :lookaroun

The only reason I can see for working on them would be to light up the holiday storytelling areas in each pavilion. Apart from that, what else is there... :shrug:

MythBuster

Those are the same lights that they used for Food and Wine. They are just re-gelling the lights(changing the colors) and will be used for the storytellers.

Exprcoofto

I was talking about both actually. The ones on the roof were all up an some other ones that come up in Canada along the water, but at 4:00PM yesterday they had all the lights on (the ones with the the speakers and banners) and I saw technicians rewiring several of them, they were in Germany probably making their way around WS.

Exprcoofto

The only reason I can see for working on them would be to light up the holiday storytelling areas in each pavilion. Apart from that, what else is there... :shrug:
The lights I saw them working on, and most that were on was not near any of the storytelling locations, that's why I'm wondering what they are doing. It could simply be a maintence check.
can anyone report on the fountains dancing to the LoW track at night??

As of last night, it was still playing to it's normal tracks that it has been doing for years. They cut out the holiday music and then switch to the fountains music. I'll be there again tonight, I'll post if anything has changed.

Also, the stage was not lit up last night and the big sign displaying the and the show times was gone.

EPCOT Explorer

I might...:)

But I think it's been disproven already!:lol:
Those are the same lights that they used for Food and Wine. They are just re-gelling the lights(changing the colors) and will be used for the storytellers.
But why are they lighting the promenade? I thought that the storytellers are IN the pavilions?
I was talking about both actually. The ones on the roof were all up an some other ones that come up in Canada along the water, but at 4:00PM yesterday they had all the lights on (the ones with the the speakers and banners) and I saw technicians rewiring several of them, they were in Germany probably making their way around WS.
So the torches were not touched?

The lights I saw them working on, and most that were on was not near any of the storytelling locations, that's why I'm wondering what they are doing. It could simply be a maintence check.

As of last night, it was still playing to it's normal tracks that it has been doing for years. They cut out the holiday music and then switch to the fountains music. I'll be there again tonight, I'll post if anything has changed.

Also, the stage was not lit up last night and the big sign displaying the and the show times was gone.

Good....It looked tacky.:lol:

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I might...:)

But I think it's been disproven already!:lol:

But why are they lighting the promenade? I thought that the storytellers are IN the pavilions?
So the torches were not touched?

[/B]
Good....It looked tacky.:lol:

They tend to light the promenade when crowd levels in the World Showcase are high.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Prom lights... there are 4 groups:

The traditional original street lamps. Used every night.

The prom pop up ones hidden in the day - the poles that rise from the rocks in Canada, the pole from the French advertising cylinder and the like. Still used today.

The parcans on the PA towers, added for Tapestry. Still used today (events like F&W only?)

The hydraulic parcan rigs on the roofs added for IllumiNations where they also used to have neon signs and imagery; China (1 of 3 still used) Germany (not used) Italy (still used) America (1 remaining) Japan (1 remaining) France (2 still used) and UK (removed)

ttalovebug

:eek:

I haven't had the time to come to this site in a while, due to extensive studying, so I haven't known about what's going on at the World at all. I am absolutely shocked and so sad reading this news. I can't believe the LOW are gone, and I can't believe the excuse for them being gone is that they're "obsolete". I was just leaving in a few minutes for WDW and expecting to see them. At least this saved me the shock I would've felt if I'd have walked in to EPCOT today and seen the empty bridge without knowing. So sad. :cry:

donaldfan

fountain does with a light show. other than that not much my friend.

it WAS dancing to Christmas music?? i thought another had posted that it was still running the regular shows as of last night.

if it has switched over to the Christmas track that is great news!!! at this point, I'll take whatever I can get!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom