Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

jchargu3

JUST got home from EPCOT

I hadn't been to Epcot since April, other than that I've been to NO parks for over a year...

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in EPCOT this year for Holidays around the World... Theres an EXTREME lack of decorations, epcot looks so... destitute... The BOARDWALK and surrounding hotels/resorts are decorated FAR more..

A few christmas trees and garland, and some people telling stories, yipee Where is the rest of epcots diverse and awesome decorations?!!?

I do NOT like this at all, Epcot WAS my favorite destination during christmas.. :(:mad:

EPCOT Explorer

EPCOT is lacking decorations. All other parks looked great.

JUST got home from EPCOT

I hadn't been to Epcot since April, other than that I've been to NO parks for over a year...

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in EPCOT this year for Holidays around the World... Theres an EXTREME lack of decorations, epcot looks so... destitute... The BOARDWALK and surrounding hotels/resorts are decorated FAR more..

A few christmas trees and garland, and some people telling stories, yipee Where is the rest of epcots diverse and awesome decorations?!!?

I do NOT like this at all, Epcot WAS my favorite destination during christmas.. :(:mad:
This does not bode well, seeing that while FW might not do as much, WS could go NUTS. :(

jchargu3

Here is a photo I took last night

Hard to do fully hand held with a 12 pound camera and no tripod, holding a hot chocolate, but it shoudl work well enough to show how empty it looks

From Germany area

IMG_2520.jpg

From American Adventure area
IMG_2567.jpg

without the LOW it looks Dull, yes I love the christmas tree, however LOW and surrounding items really made things SNAP!

Also decorations around the world were FAR FAR FAR less

EVEN the christmas tree looks ABSOLUTELY DULL without all the presents/stage surrounding it

IMG_2445.jpg

EPCOT Explorer

Here is a photo I took last night

Hard to do fully hand held with a 12 pound camera and no tripod, holding a hot chocolate, but it shoudl work well enough to show how empty it looks

From Germany area

IMG_2520.jpg

From American Adventure area
IMG_2567.jpg

without the LOW it looks Dull, yes I love the christmas tree, however LOW and surrounding items really made things SNAP!

Also decorations around the world were FAR FAR FAR less

EVEN the christmas tree looks ABSOLUTELY DULL without all the presents/stage surrounding it

IMG_2445.jpg
Depressing....:(

It used to looks SO much more vibrant and festive with the lights.

Texas84

Go to Google Maps and zoom on Epcot. You can see LoW, the tree and the stage. So Google is at least a year behind at Epcot. :(

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
JUST got home from EPCOT

I was there as well. Found it extremely depressing that AK or DS (to say nothing of MK) were all more decked out for the holidays than EP was. And it really seemed that a conscious effort was being made to scale back the "Santa" areas in those nations with the tradition. The stages all seemed either cut back or purposely tucked away off to the side in each nation. Overall a bad show by Epcot when it comes to decorations. Of course, the rain didn't help, and the Fountain wasn't at 100% either.

TURKEY

JUST got home from EPCOT

Didn't like the gospel group and I tried. Couldn't get good sound without major screeching/mixing of voices/band, etc. No matter where I tried to stand.

The center tree is very blah to me. AA tree still has no train. Candlelight didn't even give me the wow feeling.

DHS had part of their tree not lit on the night I went. It was missing a big chunk.

After not being in a park for 6 months and my 1st trip as a non-CM in nearly 9 years, I can say that I was extremely disappointed in everything as a whole and can't believe that people would pay that much for what they are getting this year.

I don't plan on going back for at least 5 years.

TinkIce

In the HGTV Disney special that aired last night, they didn't focus on Epcot hardly at all. They mostly focused on the Magic Kingdom, but even the hotels got more attention than Epcot did. The only thing they talked about was the tree and the storytellers. And both of those together only took about 30 seconds of the entire one hour special. It's so disappointing :(

hpyhnt 1000

I was there as well. Found it extremely depressing that AK or DS (to say nothing of MK) were all more decked out for the holidays than EP was. And it really seemed that a conscious effort was being made to scale back the "Santa" areas in those nations with the tradition. The stages all seemed either cut back or purposely tucked away off to the side in each nation. Overall a bad show by Epcot when it comes to decorations. Of course, the rain didn't help, and the Fountain wasn't at 100% either.

To be fair, the stages for the WS storytellers have generally been off the the side, so thats nothing really new. Shame though about the decorations... i think it was almost confirmed somewhere in one of these threads that there won't be a train around the AA tree, though I could be mistaken. And the Fon is nothing new either... I don't think its ever been 100%; if you see it at 80%, consider yourself lucky. :(

hpyhnt 1000

In the HGTV Disney special that aired last night, they didn't focus on Epcot hardly at all. They mostly focused on the Magic Kingdom, but even the hotels got more attention than Epcot did. The only thing they talked about was the tree and the storytellers. And both of those together only took about 30 seconds of the entire one hour special. It's so disappointing :(

Not surprising. After all, what IS there to focus on? :veryconfu :brick:

Such a shame too. Epcot would be the perfect place to talk about the holiday season given the array of cultures represented in World Showcase; you'd think PR would want to hype how unique and special Epcot is during the holidays. But no, I guess not... :(

MythBuster

It was a busy holiday weekend for everywhere except Epcot. They had even CM block out dates for the weekend. MK and Studios were blocked for the holidays and even AK had a block out date, but none for Epcot.

I found out that the LOW cancellation was done by a Entertainment manager, he was responsible for prepping them, painting them, and getting them ready for use, but he came up with a way to cut costs and save money. In fact, I heard he was proud of it also. Maybe he will be expecting a Christmas bonus.

Also, all the years before, after ROE was finished and all the countries remained lit up and they are showing the different christmas wishes on SSE. They would play LOW music as everyone walked out, so now the cut the LOW music also. So now walk out music only lasts a couple of minutes then go to regular BGM. Entertaiment is definitely taking this cost cutting too far.

hpyhnt 1000

It was a busy holiday weekend for everywhere except Epcot. They had even CM block out dates for the weekend. MK and Studios were blocked for the holidays and even AK had a block out date, but none for Epcot.

I found out that the LOW cancellation was done by a Entertainment manager, he was responsible for prepping them, painting them, and getting them ready for use, but he came up with a way to cut costs and save money. In fact, I heard he was proud of it also. Maybe he will be expecting a Christmas bonus.

Also, all the years before, after ROE was finished and all the countries remained lit up and they are showing the different christmas wishes on SSE. They would play LOW music as everyone walked out, so now the cut the LOW music also. So now walk out music only lasts a couple of minutes then go to regular BGM. Entertaiment is definitely taking this cost cutting too far.

????!!!!! Are you serious??? Why on earth cut out the holiday music as you leave the park? :brick:Does it really cost that much extra to change the exit music playlist for the holidays? Do the pavilions still remain lit or do they go back to their regular ho-hum lighting too?

Unbelieveable. So Entertainment wastes hundreds of thousands of dollars on the stupid Tomorrowland Stitch Craptacular stage and I guess this is the result; they cut about half of Epcot's Holiday budget. And that manager guy - if its true he is responsible for the cutting of LoW, he needs to be fired ASAP. Gee, he came up with a way to cut cost and save money. Yep, getting rid of things completely with no replacement will tend to do that. Brillant guy... definitely the brightest bulb on the tree. :rolleyes:

EPCOT Explorer

Not surprising. After all, what IS there to focus on? :veryconfu :brick:

Such a shame too. Epcot would be the perfect place to talk about the holiday season given the array of cultures represented in World Showcase; you'd think PR would want to hype how unique and special Epcot is during the holidays. But no, I guess not... :(

UGHHHHHH....:fork::fork: That's nauseating. He cut lights and BGM, and expects a bonus!? He didn't even save money.....Just shows you how all the greed and corruption works in TDO.

I would love to have his name. Letters and emails en masse.

Sean23

I like those lights better than the Osbourne Lights because they would play to the music. The old Osbourne Lights setup was the best before the stunt show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom