Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

raven

Rather than everybody getting all up in arms, why don't we just wait to see if there's any truth in the matter. No one knows for sure it isn't happening. :rolleyes:

EPCOT Explorer

^^^ Our Moderator seems to, for one. :eek:

I know! Without The Lights, Epcot has no competition against Studios...And if those two aren't dukeing it out for yuletide joy, what becomes of the natural order? Will Magic Kingdom still be the last one in the race simply because they charge people to come in after hours to get practically nothing? And what of Animal Kingdom, who doesn't get alot of decoration, but excels simply because it's even awesomer when the weather is cool? Dogs and Cats, living together! Mass Hysteria!
Yep. This upsets a lot of the balance that was had....I wonder what they could be possibly thinking.
I just wonder if they're LED-ing them... they'd look IMMENSELY better in LED.
Earlier someone talked about them being painted.:shrug:

EpcotServo

Rather than everybody getting all up in arms, why don't we just wait to see if there's any truth in the matter. No one knows for sure it isn't happening. :rolleyes:

That's true, but when you live in the Disney World 365 days a year, when something doesn't happen down here on schedule, it's understandably under threat. May seem like Magic to the rest of the country, but down here we set our watches by Magic...That's why they are'a Panicking.
:lol:

raven

That's true, but when you live in the Disney World 365 days a year, when something doesn't happen down here on schedule, it's understandably under threat. May seem like Magic to the rest of the country, but down here we set our watches by Magic...That's why they are'a Panicking.

I work in the World, live 2 miles north of Cindy's place but am also in touch with reality as well. :animwink:

EPCOT Explorer

So simple, and so true.:lol:

Don't screw with my escapism!:eek::lol:

EpcotServo

I work in the World, live 2 miles north of Cindy's place but am also in touch with reality as well. :animwink:

C'mon, nobody is in touch with reality anywhere these days.

Anyways, to quote Toy Story 3,

Buzz: "Now's not the time to be Hysterical."

Hamm:"It's the perfect time to be Hysterical!"

WDW1974

Wow. Everyone all foamed up on a lazy NFL Sunday about some lights ...

I have no idea whether or not they're coming back, this is first I've heard about it. But, if not, I'll be very disappointed when I visit for the holidays. They are beautiful, and I can't picture the holidays at EPCOT without them.

But, if indeed they're gone, it's for one reason only: MONEY.

The same reason things have been cut left and right, sliced and diced, for years.

And that is why the Christmas tree lighting was killed as well. Nothing about religion. If that were an issue, rest assured, you wouldn't have the Candlelight Procession because it IS the story of Jesus and Christianity and, rest assured, plenty of visitors don't find it enjoyable. I know it offends some and have even heard people say it.

But it stays, and it should. I don't ascribe to the religious beliefs ascribed to the show, but it is a beautiful pageant and one isn't forced to subject themselves to it.

Oh, and before some buffoon here suggests that it's OK to kill The Lights of Winter at EPCOT since MK added Castle Dreamlights two years ago, I'd suggest they not waste their time and realize they are two different parks and, shocking as it might be everyone doesn't visit both and lowering the quality at one isn't justified by adding something at another.

Funny and sad how this type of thing keeps happening at WDW, yet other Disney parks/resorts keep getting stuff added.

Couldn't be a mixture of awful management, many guests who don't know any better and fanbois who will defend da man at every step, could it?

EPCOT Explorer

Wow. Everyone all foamed up on a lazy NFL Sunday about some lights ...

I have no idea whether or not they're coming back, this is first I've heard about it. But, if not, I'll be very disappointed when I visit for the holidays. They are beautiful, and I can't picture the holidays at EPCOT without them.

But, if indeed they're gone, it's for one reason only: MONEY.

The same reason things have been cut left and right, sliced and diced, for years.

And that is why the Christmas tree lighting was killed as well. Nothing about religion. If that were an issue, rest assured, you wouldn't have the Candlelight Procession because it IS the story of Jesus and Christianity and, rest assured, plenty of visitors don't find it enjoyable. I know it offends some and have even heard people say it.

But it stays, and it should. I don't ascribe to the religious beliefs ascribed to the show, but it is a beautiful pageant and one isn't forced to subject themselves to it.

Oh, and before some buffoon here suggests that it's OK to kill The Lights of Winter at EPCOT since MK added Castle Dreamlights two years ago, I'd suggest they not waste their time and realize they are two different parks and, shocking as it might be everyone doesn't visit both and lowering the quality at one isn't justified by adding something at another.

Funny and sad how this type of thing keeps happening at WDW, yet other Disney parks/resorts keep getting stuff added.

Couldn't be a mixture of awful management, many guests who don't know any better and fanbois who will defend da man at every step, could it?
We certainly are not now....:wave:

WDWFigment

Not to be redundant, but I agree with the others who have lamented the loss (if they're gone) of the Lights of Winter, especially given the cut of Country Bear Christmas. Not cool.

Glad I got some good pictures of the Lights of Winter last year. I was hoping to get some more shots next year; maybe they'll be on hiatus for just a year. Wishful thinking, I'm sure, but if enough people complain, maybe not.

Mystic

Maybe they're waiting to put them up since the Epcot celebrations don't start until after Thanksgiving? Only the Osborne Lights and MVMCP start early in November this year.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Maybe they're waiting to put them up since the Epcot celebrations don't start until after Thanksgiving? Only the Osborne Lights and MVMCP start early in November this year.

Epcot don't install their decorations until after Food and Wine - that isn't what is causing the concern. It's the fact I've been told a decision was made months ago to cut them, the fact that they aren't listed in any marketing materials, the cast have been told they are cut, and finally they arent in their usual "pre-installation" location in the parking lot (every year previously they have been there by mid October).

EPCOTPluto

Epcot don't install their decorations until after Food and Wine - that isn't what is causing the concern. It's the fact I've been told a decision was made months ago to cut them, the fact that they aren't listed in any marketing materials, the cast have been told they are cut, and finally they aren't in their usual "pre-installation" location in the parking lot (every year previously they have been there by mid October).
Oh. :(

Of course, things can go either way. But that's my wishful thinking...

Unless they pull a LwtL technique on us. :lookaroun

brkgnews

Granted this is only a rumor, and I realize that. But, if it IS true...

This is beyond lame. And I don't mean that as a throwaway slang term... I mean it really is a lame excuse. Granted, I don't pretend to be able to understand the dynamics of running a single theme park, much less the largest themed entertainment complex on the face of the planet; but still, if we're able to keep the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights, then why the heck can't we keep the handful of lighted arches that make up Lights of Winter? Osborne uses something to the effect of ten miles of rope lighting (according to figures released by Disney). Cinderella's Castle is covered in 200,000 "ice" lights. We're even sinking money into humans and characters for "Totally Tomorrowland Christmas" (*shudder*), yet we can't have a dozen or so lighted arches at Epcot? I'm not a fan of this idea in the least.

Now, having said all that. I *will* concede that if it came down to budget, and the decision on the table was to either cut the lighted arches, or cut the Candlelight Processional; then the arches gotta die. But if they're spending the dough on new live shows in order to give that immediately-abandoned stage in Tomorrowland a raison-d'etre, then there's gotta be some money floating around somewhere. Sylvania/Siemens - I'm looking at you guys.

Biff215

It's all well and good to say maybe they'll be back next year (assuming they don't show up this year), but how often does something like that happen in Disney? Once the CBJ overlay was skipped one year, that was it. The Osbourne lights did take a year off due to LMA construction, but that wasn't hidden the way this appears to be.

The way I look at it is Disney makes the decision, stays mum about it and then deals with the few guests who will actually make their way into Guest Relations to complain. Then the holidays end, the complaining goes away, and next year (almost) all will be forgotten. If this was a cost-based decision, I don't think it will be easily reversed.

I typically defend Disney's decisions 99.9% of the time, but I'm dead against them this time. It's a month's worth of lights lit for only a few hours a day, and it will be replaced by NOTHING. Totally unacceptable IMHO.

CBOMB

Difficulty and expense don't apply to Disney. When you've been doing something like this for tens of years, it doesn't just suddenly become a problem.

If you can dream it, you can do it.

And isn't Disney about doing the things that most people find too difficult or expensive?
It use to be that way
Over 50 posts of diatribe on political correctness and finances of Disney based on arches not being in their previously used staging area in a parking lot?

:brick:
Up to well over a hundred now. Did you expect less? Afterall, we have a thread speculating on whether a new structue is a planter or a fountain. I think it was several hundred strong, and still going last time I checked.

I've found out in the past how good Steve's sources are. This does not bode well if you were looking forward to LoW at Epcot. They could possibly change their mind however.

I've already winged off an e-mail to WDW to see what they have to say about the matter. With a response time of 10 days I'm sure the matter will already be decided in this forum by then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom