Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Mr.EPCOT

Another angle...
4086584127_f98a0a1c9f_b.jpg

EpcotServo

This is from this afternoon. Glean from it what you can, I'm not quite sure what to look for...

Ah yes, the Disney World Tradition of "Putting Cool Stuff in storage on back roads or inside attractions in dark corners".

:lol:

I see weeds growing around them....

If it makes you feel better, that's where they always go ever year and where they end up once they are done with them. And backstage Epcot is full of weeds.
:lookaroun :lol:

surfsupdon

Well I am happy to see them. Hopefully they will be put up!

I won't even be at Disney for the Christmas season, but understand how integral the Lights are as a type of Christmas season celebration at Epcot.

vintageepcot

The parking might just not be the choice of place to keep them before the christmas season simply do to maybe kids found a way to the lights and started climbing them. Lets just hope thats the case. Not hearing them being mentioned is something else. This might be my first christmas trip to WDW they better be up. I complain about everything, They will not make me miss the Lights of winter. But then they could be just simply changing the display. I want them to light up all the creases on the sphere that would be insane.

EPCOT Explorer

Ah yes, the Disney World Tradition of "Putting Cool Stuff in storage on back roads or inside attractions in dark corners".

:lol:

If it makes you feel better, that's where they always go ever year and where they end up once they are done with them. And backstage Epcot is full of weeds.
:lookaroun :lol:
True.

Weeds can grow in 2 weeks. They've been sitting there since last Christmas.

:xmas::xmas:
More true.

Start writing those letters!
Truth.

We shouldn't have to do this...:fork:

hpyhnt 1000

Hm... I think one of the arch segments is missing because I'm only counting eight segments and there should be nine. Don't know on this one... but its not encouraging to still see them there sitting there. :(

techgeek

Does anyone have any history on the LoW? Just curious, but they never struck me as something built specifically 'for Epcot', or by Disney. What was the first year of the display, and did it come from somewhere else before that?

When you get right down to it, the display itself is actually pretty low-tech with a fairly limited number of different circuits and colors. What's amazing is how well it works in the space, and how tight the programming is. It really comes off looking much more then the sum of its parts - and Epcot in December would definitely not be the same without it.

Biff215

Doesn't look good. I mean I don't know about Disney, but I have around 50,000 lights on my house, and I have started testing already. I'm sure they can get it done if they want to, but I'm not encouraged considering they have around two weeks to get them ready.

And stored outdoors? You would think that would really have a negative effect on them!

Disney - If you're listening and need a bulb tester, I can be on a plane tonight! :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Does anyone have any history on the LoW? Just curious, but they never struck me as something built specifically 'for Epcot', or by Disney. What was the first year of the display, and did it come from somewhere else before that?

When you get right down to it, the display itself is actually pretty low-tech with a fairly limited number of different circuits and colors. What's amazing is how well it works in the space, and how tight the programming is. It really comes off looking much more then the sum of its parts - and Epcot in December would definitely not be the same without it.
I've been looking for good info on it all day....nothing.:lol: Everyone seems to have taken it for granted.:(

mrksmpsn

What a Loss

If it's true the LoW will not be displayed, Epcot will have lost something very unique and special about celebrating the holidays. The lights and the fountain and the Christmas music always made a great festive holiday atmosphere at Epcot. World Showcase is great during the day, but the LoW really made the park look special at night. While we were not overly impressed with the tree lighting ceremony, its absence last year was noticeable--you kind of felt something was missing. Now with the loss of LoW, it will really seem bare and empty.

We love the CP and will be going twice (dining option) in early December because we love the music. But if the LoW are gone permanently, Epcot just won't be the same. I guess we can only hope Disney will come up with something just as special (but singing groups on the fountain stage just don't seem to be equivalent to the LoW).

luckyeye13

Maybe they decided that the new Pleasure Island was such a success that they will now also replace the Lights of Winter with the "bold, new vision" of shopping and dining. :brick:

vintageepcot

You may disagree but it seems like Epcot is always having some setbacks and ushrually they will attack on the most popular attractions (wow I just reposted all my threads on one, the manatees are still there LOL).

nbodyhome

I heard about this a couple of days ago, that they may not be used this year (I am NOT happy about that). I rarely write to Disney about things I am displeased about, but I LOVE the Lights of Winter.

Denise

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom