Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've found out in the past how good Steve's sources are. This does not bode well if you were looking forward to LoW at Epcot. They could possibly change their mind however.
And as soon as he indicated he had sources he couldn't quote, I agreed that it was a concern... :D

enoe01

Considering it is now getting to be the Holiday Season lets concentrate on what we still have to love and enjoy. I agree the loss of LoW is a shame. My family has never seen them and we were looking forward to them in DEC, we are not going to let the loss of LoW ruin our family holiday vacation, we shall adapt and overcome the loss, we will find extra joy in what WDW is offering us the season and be thankful that we could even be at the World to enjoy the season and family.

PalisadesPkteer

BAH HUMBUG!!!

I do try and not rip the Disney Co. for much of anything BUT-

This is UNACCEPTABLE

I missed the Tree lighting ceremony in 2006 and then it was gone when I got there again in 2008. Now THIS?

Well I AM going to Guest Relations and complain.

Hey EPCOT Explorer and hpyhnt1000, I will warm up Guest Relations for you guys.

I go to WDW on Dec 1 to Dec7. Maybe I will camp out there till you guys arrive.

I mean Really.. Couln't someone come up with some merchandise to go along with this so Disney could get their $ worth? That way we wouldn't be losing it?

Raven, Do you know someone who is involved in setting LoW up?

Do they tell your section anything in advance so they can get the LoW into the park?

jrashadb

I can't even begin to express how angry I will be if LoW isn't there this year. I'm an APer and I look forward to seeing LoW every year. I don't even acknowledge the Holiday season has started until I go to Epcot and watch the processional and stand under the LoW for a while.

I don't know... I might not even go this year.

EPCOT Explorer

Granted this is only a rumor, and I realize that. But, if it IS true...

This is beyond lame. And I don't mean that as a throwaway slang term... I mean it really is a lame excuse. Granted, I don't pretend to be able to understand the dynamics of running a single theme park, much less the largest themed entertainment complex on the face of the planet; but still, if we're able to keep the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights, then why the heck can't we keep the handful of lighted arches that make up Lights of Winter? Osborne uses something to the effect of ten miles of rope lighting (according to figures released by Disney). Cinderella's Castle is covered in 200,000 "ice" lights. We're even sinking money into humans and characters for "Totally Tomorrowland Christmas" (*shudder*), yet we can't have a dozen or so lighted arches at Epcot? I'm not a fan of this idea in the least.

Now, having said all that. I *will* concede that if it came down to budget, and the decision on the table was to either cut the lighted arches, or cut the Candlelight Processional; then the arches gotta die. But if they're spending the dough on new live shows in order to give that immediately-abandoned stage in Tomorrowland a raison-d'etre, then there's gotta be some money floating around somewhere. Sylvania/Siemens - I'm looking at you guys.
Well said, Mr. Steele. :D

And yes...with Seimens running TWO "E tics" at EPCOT...and seeing that they are a lighting company..HOW!? :lol: How are the lights of all things, cut? It just does not make sense, especially if they want to push EPCOT's holiday events.

Then again...look at how well SSE's finale is working out.:brick:

EPCOT Explorer

BAH HUMBUG!!!

I do try and not rip the Disney Co. for much of anything BUT-

This is UNACCEPTABLE

I missed the Tree lighting ceremony in 2006 and then it was gone when I got there again in 2008. Now THIS?

Well I AM going to Guest Relations and complain.

Hey EPCOT Explorer and hpyhnt1000, I will warm up Guest Relations for you guys.

I go to WDW on Dec 1 to Dec7. Maybe I will camp out there till you guys arrive.

I mean Really.. Couln't someone come up with some merchandise to go along with this so Disney could get their $ worth? That way we wouldn't be losing it?

Raven, Do you know someone who is involved in setting LoW up?

Do they tell your section anything in advance so they can get the LoW into the park?

I can't even begin to express how angry I will be if LoW isn't there this year. I'm an APer and I look forward to seeing LoW every year. I don't even acknowledge the Holiday season has started until I go to Epcot and watch the processional and stand under the LoW for a while.

I don't know... I might not even go this year.
Guys...we need to take these opinions, and WRITE. These exact words are the words that hit home for them.

hpyhnt 1000

Well said, Mr. Steele. :D

And yes...with Seimens running TWO "E tics" at EPCOT...and seeing that they are a lighting company..HOW!? :lol: How are the lights of all things, cut? It just does not make sense, especially if they want to push EPCOT's holiday events.

Then again...look at how well SSE's finale is working out.:brick:

Let us not forget that Sylvania is the current sponsor over at the Studios for the Osbourne Spectacle of Dancing Lights. I think we can see where their priorities (and money) are going. :(

brkgnews

For reference... here are the two primary pieces of holiday PR that Disney has put out thus far on their media site. No direct mention of LoW in either...

Christmas by the Numbers at Walt Disney World Resort

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Miles of garland, ribbon, twinkling lights and glitter transform Walt Disney World Resort into a winter wonderland during the holiday season. Here’s a sample of what guests will experience throughout the Vacation Kingdom:

737 decorated trees throughout property

A wreath 25 feet in diameter adorning the Cirque du Soleil building at Downtown Disney West Side

10 miles of twinkling rope lights in the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

150 tractor-trailer truckloads of decorations for 24 resorts, 4 theme parks, Downtown Disney and other locations

15 miles of garland strung and 1,314 wreaths hung throughout the Vacation Kingdom
300,000 yards of ribbon and bows draping over Christmas trees across property

8.5 million lights strung throughout Walt Disney World Resort

98 percent of the lighting used for holiday décor is LED

11 countries dressed for Holidays Around the World at Epcot World Showcase
A Christmas tree in Magic Kingdomwith a base 26 feet wide

One 70-foot-tall tree takes center stage in Disney’s Contemporary Resort entrance lobby featuring nearly 35,800 white LED lights

6 life-sized creations cooked up by Walt Disney World pastry chefs, including:

· One 16-foot-tall gingerbread house at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa baked with 1,050 pounds of honey and involving more than 160 hours of decorating

·Onelife-size gingerbread carousel at Disney’s Beach Club Resort featuring ponies made of chocolate and fondant, giant candy cane poles, handcrafted poinsettias and hand-paintedportraits of famous Disney characters

100 percent chance of snow flurries during Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, taking place on select holiday evenings in Magic Kingdom

365 days of the year that guests can shop for holiday merchandise at the Disney’s Days of Christmas shop in Downtown Disney Marketplace

-30-
J-NUMBERS/10-05-09:as

Walt Disney World Debuts Stage Show,
Showcases New Candlelight Processional Narrators

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Trees glisten and Cinderella Castle sparkles. “Snow” flurries flutter, adding a sprinkle of magic to the scene. The stage is set for the holidays at Walt Disney World Resort – complete with the debut of a “very merry” stage show and several new Candlelight Processional celebrity narrators, plus the return of grand seasonal traditions.

To welcome the winter wonderland season, Stitch, Buzz Lightyear and Mike Wazowski will host a rockin’ Christmas party in the new stage show “A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas!” as part of Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party on select evenings at Magic Kingdom. This interactive musical revue features “songs of the season” in the style of today’s hottest Radio Disney hits.

For a more traditional holiday celebration, guests can get in the spirit with the Candlelight Processional at Epcot where Vanessa Williams, Whoopi Goldberg, Anika Noni Rose and Isabella Rossellini will join the lineup of 12 celebrity narrators who will retell the joyous Christmas story on select nights.

By late November, themed décor will blanket the Vacation Kingdom as Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney and 24 resorts unwrap their sleighs full of yuletide gaiety. Here’s a closer look at the transformation into a winter wonderland ...

Castle Dreamlights! at Magic Kingdom – During this year’s “What Will You Celebrate?,” guests can behold twinkling lights of one of Disney’s newest holiday traditions – Castle Dreamlights! – beginning Nov. 10 at Magic Kingdom. Donning their holiday finest, Cinderella and friends take to the Cinderella Castle stage daily for a dream-come-true, light-the-night moment. With 200,000 sparkling, jewel-like crystals adorning the iconic castle, the glistening light-show spectacular signals the beginning of Disney’s seasonal merriment.

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party at Magic Kingdom – Nov. 10 marks the first of 19 select evenings when the theme park hosts the long-running Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. During this popular special-ticket event, guests are treated to the new stage show “A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas!,” “Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade,” “Holiday Wishes-Celebrate the Spirit of the Season” fireworks spectacular, plus special shows featuring Disney characters decked out in their holiday finest, carolers, festive tree lightings and more.

Magic Kingdom’s newest stage show, “A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas!,” features Stitch, Buzz Lightyear, Mike Wazowski and a jubilant cast of party-goers who discover the true meaning of the season during their annual Christmas party.

The “Once Upon a Christmastime Parade” celebrates the festivities with dancing snowflakes, marching toy soldiers, a horse-drawn sleigh, enchanting floats and spirited characters all proceeding through the streets of the theme park in a merry and melodic cavalcade.

During “Holiday Wishes-Celebrate the Spirit of the Season,” Cinderella Castle beams brightly as the evening is capped with eye-popping fireworks orchestrated to classic holiday tunes.

Select attractions also are open throughout the evening. And while forecasters predict the first snowfall of the season will swirl a winter-like effect down Main Street, U.S.A, guests can take heart: there’s hot cocoa and cookies to add a warm spirit, plus apple slices and apple juice as the perfect trimmings for a not-to-miss outing for the whole family.

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party dates are: Nov. 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 29 and Dec. 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18. Advance tickets are suggested as some nights are expected to sell out. Advance tickets and information for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party are available now by visiting disneyworld.com/christmasparty or by calling 407/W-DISNEY.

The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s Hollywood Studios – Bathed in bulbs of brilliance, the Streets of America glow with millions of dancing lights and animated displays Nov. 10 through Jan. 4, 2010. Amid gently falling snow, guests will bask in the glow as twirling carousels, melodic angels, colorful wreaths, marching toy soldiers and Santa and his reindeer move to high-energy music and 3-D effects, creating a dazzling symphony for the senses. The spectacle actually starts behind the scenes while the summer temperatures are still on the rise in Florida as dozens of Disney “elves” begin their meticulous work on more than 10 miles of rope lights, 130 angels, 44 snow machines and more.

Festival of the Seasons at Downtown Disney – There are enough toys to fill up Santa’s sleigh at stores such as Once Upon a Toy, the World of Disney store, Team Mickey Athletic Club and LEGO Imagination Center. Guests can finish their holiday shopping at this one-stop mecca featuring something for everyone on their list – Tren-D, the newest designer boutique; Basin bath and body shop; Arribas Brothers; Disney’s Days of Christmas holiday shop; Fuego by Sosa Cigars and more– and enjoy the dazzling light display and holiday décor that adorns the Downtown Disney streets Nov. 17-Dec. 24. And at Downtown Disney Marketplace, guests can meet Santa himself Nov. 17-26 from 5 to 10 p.m. and Nov. 27-Dec. 24 from noon to 10 p.m. (subject to change).

Christmas Confections Sweeten Vacation Kingdom – Each holiday season, Disney chefs deck the halls in fanciful fashion, creating larger-than-life displays from edible ingredients all across Walt Disney World Resort. The sweet scent of gingerbread fills the lobby of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, where a life-sized Victorian gingerbread house is constructed for the holidays. To create the 16-foot-high dream house, Walt Disney World pastry chefs use 1,050 pounds of honey, 600 pounds of powdered sugar, 800 pounds of flour, 140 pints of egg whites and 180 pounds of apricot glaze. Meanwhile, at Disney’s Beach Club Resort, a life-size carousel silently spins in the lobby, featuring ponies made of chocolate and fondant, giant candy cane poles, handcrafted poinsettias and hand-painted portraits of famous Disney characters.

Sail Away to a Magical Winter Holiday with Disney Cruise Line – For a gift that’s both nautical and nice, Santa’s wish list could include a cruise on the Disney Magic or the Disney Wonder, both decked “to the rafters” with holiday cheer. From Thanksgiving through New Year’s, Disney Cruise Line adds sparkle to both ships, with traditional “turkey day” fare to Christmas feasts, “snow flurries” and New Year’s Eve galas. Beginning Nov. 21, special stem-to-stern events on both ships include: nightly King Triton’s Tree Lighting of a glittering, three-deck-tall tree; family crafts such as decorating stockings, making holiday cards and creating animation cels; storytellers sharing tales of diverse holiday traditions; feasts in Disney’s three themed dining rooms; and “Til We Meet Again,” a special seasonal edition of Disney Cruise Line’s cheerful farewell on the final night of each cruise.

Epcot Presents Holidays Around the World – International holiday traditions unfold throughout World Showcase Nov. 27-Dec. 30 when storytellers such as Pere Noel in France, La Befana in Italy and Santa Claus in The American Adventure share the traditions of the season and spread the message of goodwill. As a “nightcap” to each day, “IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth” – a kaleidoscope of lasers, lights, fireworks and music – takes on a spirited holiday finale.

Candlelight Processional at Epcot – A heartfelt holiday tradition led by a mass choir and 50-piece live orchestra showcases the reason for the season Nov. 27-Dec. 30. Presented at America Gardens Theatre at 5, 6:45 and 8:15 p.m. nightly, Candlelight Processional features celebrity narrators who retell the joyous Christmas story. The narration is interspersed with memorable music.
Scheduled celebrity narrators include (subject to change):

Nov. 27-29 Isabella Rossellini
Nov. 30 & Dec. 1-2 John O’Hurley
Dec. 3-5 Steven Curtis Chapman
Dec. 6-8 Anika Noni Rose
Dec. 9-11 Andy Garcia
Dec. 12-14 Vanessa Williams
Dec. 15-17 Abigail Breslin
Dec. 18-20 Whoopi Goldberg
Dec. 21-23 Brian Dennehy
Dec. 24-26 Edward James Olmos
Dec. 27-30 Angela Bassett / Courtney B. Vance

Performances are included with Epcot admission and guests are advised to arrive early. Entertainment is subject to change without notice. Special dining packages that include guaranteed seating for this beloved event and reserved fireworks viewing are available for booking by calling 407/WDW-DINE.

Holiday Happenings at Disney’s Animal Kingdom – “Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade” gets a holiday makeover Nov. 27 through Jan. 3, 2010, when it is magically transformed into “Mickey’s Jingle Jungle Parade.” This whimsical spectacle is a theatrical showcase of characters, floats and puppetry with a holiday world-beat twist. Guests can meet Disney characters decked out in their holiday best at Camp Minnie-Mickey, which also features live seasonal entertainment, holiday photo opportunities and decorative Christmas trees.

To make arrangements for a holiday vacation at Walt Disney World Resort, guests can visit disneyworld.com/holidays, call the Disney Reservation Center at 407/W-DISNEY, or consult with a local travel agent.
-30-

J-HOLIDAYSEASON/10-12-09:as

20009551sc

Loss of the Lights

We have been going to Disney World for years. Especially at Christmas time it is a chance to forget my real life and just enjoy the sights and sounds. Yes, there is much to see and do at this time of year but that was always part of our trips. The Lights of Winter set the tone for the evening at EPCOT. Every thing these days revolves around the mighty buck. I know that tough choices will be made from time to time. I also know that sentiment does not pay the bills, but good will can go along way. Hopefully the arches will go up and the lights will go on and people will be happy even if it is for a little while. Ive been to the Osborne light .....crowded and Boring; and that comes from a Christmas light-aholic!:xmas:

brkgnews

Now... If you wanna go all conspiracy-theorist... take a look at that first thing I posted... "By the numbers"... and note that 98% of their holiday lighting is LED. That could bump up to 100% and look all eco-snazzy if they bumped off all the incandescents. :lookaroun

WDW Vacationer

Now... If you wanna go all conspiracy-theorist... take a look at that first thing I posted... "By the numbers"... and note that 98% of their holiday lighting is LED. That could bump up to 100% and look all eco-snazzy if they bumped off all the incandescents. :lookaroun
With no more LoW,I fear we are at 100%:(

EPCOT Explorer

Well,guest relations will be getting a little "Hey howdy hey!" from me.:)
Bueno.:D

Let us not forget that Sylvania is the current sponsor over at the Studios for the Osbourne Spectacle of Dancing Lights. I think we can see where their priorities (and money) are going. :(
Seems a little silly, here. It's basically the same thing, just in a different thread. What's stopping them?!

For reference... here are the two primary pieces of holiday PR that Disney has put out thus far on their media site. No direct mention of LoW in either...

That's really low of them, if that's a factor in pulling them. Why not just convert and sponsor?

Also...this is a half baked theory...but...what happens if they just don't think of LoW as a attraction or draw, anymore, but just a given for EPCOT?:shrug: If they think that we expect the lights to be there anyway, they would remove them from the adverts, right?

:eek: trying to be hopeful....I am really gonna miss these come DEC.

WDW Vacationer

Bueno.:D

Seems a little silly, here. It's basically the same thing, just in a different thread. What's stopping them?!

That's really low of them, if that's a factor in pulling them. Why not just convert and sponsor?

Also...this is a half baked theory...but...what happens if they just don't think of LoW as a attraction or draw, anymore, but just a given for EPCOT?:shrug: If they think that we expect the lights to be there anyway, they would remove them from the adverts, right?

:eek: trying to be hopeful....I am really gonna miss these come DEC.
Then we loose another GREAT show.

Figment1986

I cannot believe they are not doing it this year, they fir that long empty walkway nicely and brought a ncie holiday kenetic movement for the area and giving guests something to do between dusk and illuminiations peace on earth finale.

mickeysaver

Does anyone else find it sadly ironic that in the year that they have most likely potentially killed off the LoW, that they offer a new backstage tour about lights?

Disney's Holiday D-Lights Tour

Disney's Holiday D-Lights Tour will show how the twinkle of holiday magic is created for the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights, the transformation of Cinderella Castle, and the Candlelight Processional. The tour will only be offered on the following 2009 dates: Mondays November 30, and December 7 and 14; and Wednesdays December 2, 9 and 16. Tours will begin at 5 p.m. outside of Epcot. This tour is for guests 16 years of age and older. The cost is $179 per person. Theme park admission is NOT required. Make your reservation by calling 407-WDW-TOUR.

Mr.EPCOT

This is from this afternoon. Glean from it what you can, I'm not quite sure what to look for...
4086584103_7b62d5f99f_b.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom