Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

CBOMB

Whats the address I should send it to? And is there an e-mail link as well? The more ways I can send in my complaint the better. :drevil:

Yes, I too, need the address....:lookaroun

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walt Disney World Guest Relations
P.O. Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
[/FONT]

Disney Guest Relations - 407-824-4321

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

WDW Vacationer

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walt Disney World Guest Relations[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P.O. Box 10000[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walt Disney World Guest Communications[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PO Box 10040[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com[/FONT]
No,No! I want IGER!:lookaroun

Seriously,I have his Disney address.:lookaroun

popsicletrees

This was probably one of the things I was most looking forward to on my upcoming trip. I purposely made dinner reservations in Epcot on January 3 just in case they started taking this down on the 4th. Hopefully they will put them up this year.

CBOMB

LP.com doesn't really concern themselves with actual in park issues. They seem to prefer to wax philiosophically about the parks in general.

Not that it's a bad thing, just different.
A very accurate analysis.
Plus it has a much smaller base of WDW fans than here at wdwmagic.
Plus you can only say "THIS SUCKS" so many times.

EPCOT Explorer

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walt Disney World Guest Relations
P.O. Box 10000
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]
You, sir, are awesome. :D

Thanks!

And, I'm quite delighted to see that others are writing, too. We should do this more often!

CBOMB

Makes you wonder how in touch they really are...:lookaroun:lol:

I'm sure there will be several very long post about how these lights not showing up fit into some grand decline of the parks. Which right now, I would be hard pressed to disagree with.
Not some grand decline of the parks at all Jake. Just the slow diminishing of quality, and standards, and entertainment. It all starts to add up after a while Jake. The WoL issue just seems to be another example.

Main Street USA

For what it's worth, here's my letter....

To whom it may concern,

My name is xxxxxxxxxxxx and I’ve been a satisfied Disney World Premium Annual Passholder off and on for the last 10 years.__ Currently, I’m a passholder wondering if I should renew again this Thanksgiving when my anniversary rolls around.__ While there are great benefits and advantages to holding this annual pass, there have been several changes at WDW that are beginning to make the experience less than “Disney-like,” and to that point, I’m not really sure what I’m paying for anymore.

As an avid Disney fan, not just of the parks, but all things Disney, I try keep in touch with Disney’s progress and what they are doing in the present, and near future.__ I love coming to the parks to experience new attractions, revisit the classics, take advantage of the countless dining options, and am always looking to spot and experience things I may have missed during my last trip.__

On the other hand, I make sure that I make a trip down at the times of year that bring the most joy and excitement to my life, that remind me just how spectacular and superior Disney theme parks are over the thrill ride parks like Universal.__ WDW during the Holidays is that time for me.__ However, over the last few years it seems as though Disney has been taking to cost-cutting measures that effect the very things that separate it from the rest of the wannabes.__ A few years ago the Country Bear Jamboree Christmas overlay was scrapped. __Last year the Epcot tree lighting ceremony disappeared. __The classic 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' show in Tomorrowland is now gone, and the Christmas Carolers over in Camp Minnie-Mickey have left, too. And now today, I was reading about the Lights of Winter at Epcot and how they may not be coming back.__ This made my heart sink into my stomach as one of my Disney holiday rituals of sitting under the arches and enjoying the relaxing music and lights, something that represents true Disney holiday magic, will be gone forever.

My wife and I are about to have our first child and plan to make these annual trips to Disney each year, just as I did with my parents, but the cutting of all of these small, special, Disney details are making me wonder if these trips are going to be worth the money. If Disney keeps at this rate, when my kids are teenagers and want to go to Universal because the “rides are so much better”, I won’t be able to convince them otherwise.__ In today’s world, and even more so in years past, I’d be able to point out all of the history, the creative__Imagineering, and__the unwillingness to stop at “good enough”.__ All of which are character traits I’d like to instill in my children.__ I’d like to teach them that the little things matter, that the time and money spent on the extra detail__or going the extra mile to make someone’s experience great is worth more than a few thousand dollars.__ In the short term, that money might be great, but taking away that detail could cost you more in the long run than the money you save today.__

I think Disney is the place where you get to recognize possibilities, appreciate art, admire architecture, and experience the brilliance and compassion of some of the greatest minds of our world. __To those people who think the Lights of Winter are insignificant to a great Disney holiday experience, I say they really haven’t had a chance to understand the emotional side of Disney, instead they’ve been focusing on the bottom line.__ Unfortunately, that’s not how Disney got to be what it is today, and I sincerely hope Disney doesn’t forget that, otherwise they will soon have to answer the question "why would I choose to go to Disney over ____."

Please reconsider this decision, and if costs must be cut, consider other possibilities that are less significant.__
__
Kindest regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CBOMB

No,No! I want IGER!:lookaroun

Seriously,I have his Disney address.:lookaroun

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr. Robert Iger
Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meg Crofton[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
President
The Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10040
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These are universal addresses, they are going to all go through guest relations. So if you want to contact Dan Cockrel, you would use[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr Dan Cockrell[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]V.P. Epcot [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Walt Disney World Resort[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lake Buena Vista Fl 32830
[/FONT]

tirian

To whom it may concern,

My name is xxxxxxxxxxxx and I’ve been a satisfied Disney World Premium Annual Passholder off and on for the last 10 years.__ Currently, I’m a passholder wondering if I should renew again this Thanksgiving when my anniversary rolls around.__ While there are great benefits and advantages to holding this annual pass, there have been several changes at WDW that are beginning to make the experience less than “Disney-like,” and to that point, I’m not really sure what I’m paying for anymore.

As an avid Disney fan, not just of the parks, but all things Disney, I try keep in touch with Disney’s progress and what they are doing in the present, and near future.__ I love coming to the parks to experience new attractions, revisit the classics, take advantage of the countless dining options, and am always looking to spot and experience things I may have missed during my last trip.__

On the other hand, I make sure that I make a trip down at the times of year that bring the most joy and excitement to my life, that remind me just how spectacular and superior Disney theme parks are over the thrill ride parks like Universal.__ WDW during the Holidays is that time for me.__ However, over the last few years it seems as though Disney has been taking to cost-cutting measures that effect the very things that separate it from the rest of the wannabes.__ A few years ago the Country Bear Jamboree Christmas overlay was scrapped. __Last year the Epcot tree lighting ceremony disappeared. __The classic 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' show in Tomorrowland is now gone, and the Christmas Carolers over in Camp Minnie-Mickey have left, too. And now today, I was reading about the Lights of Winter at Epcot and how they may not be coming back.__ This made my heart sink into my stomach as one of my Disney holiday rituals of sitting under the arches and enjoying the relaxing music and lights, something that represents true Disney holiday magic, will be gone forever.

My wife and I are about to have our first child and plan to make these annual trips to Disney each year, just as I did with my parents, but the cutting of all of these small, special, Disney details are making me wonder if these trips are going to be worth the money. If Disney keeps at this rate, when my kids are teenagers and want to go to Universal because the “rides are so much better”, I won’t be able to convince them otherwise.__ In today’s world, and even more so in years past, I’d be able to point out all of the history, the creative__Imagineering, and__the unwillingness to stop at “good enough”.__ All of which are character traits I’d like to instill in my children.__ I’d like to teach them that the little things matter, that the time and money spent on the extra detail__or going the extra mile to make someone’s experience great is worth more than a few thousand dollars.__ In the short term, that money might be great, but taking away that detail could cost you more in the long run than the money you save today.__

I think Disney is the place where you get to recognize possibilities, appreciate art, admire architecture, and experience the brilliance and compassion of some of the greatest minds of our world. __To those people who think the Lights of Winter are insignificant to a great Disney holiday experience, I say they really haven’t had a chance to understand the emotional side of Disney, instead they’ve been focusing on the bottom line.__ Unfortunately, that’s not how Disney got to be what it is today, and I sincerely hope Disney doesn’t forget that, otherwise they will soon have to answer the question "why would I choose to go to Disney over ____."

Please reconsider this decision, and if costs must be cut, consider other possibilities that are less significant.__
__
Kindest regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You obviously put effort into this letter—that's when it's taken seriously.

Nice.

hpyhnt 1000

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr. Robert Iger[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chief Executive Officer [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Walt Disney Company [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]500 South Buena Vista Street [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Burbank, CA 91521-4873 [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meg Crofton[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]President [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Walt Disney World Resort [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PO Box 10040 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830 [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These are universal addresses, they are going to all go through guest relations. So if you want to contact Dan Cockrel, you would use[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr Dan Cockrel[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]V.P. Epcot [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Walt Disney World Resort[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lake Buena Vista Fl 32830[/FONT]

Most excellent! Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

CBOMB

To whom it may concern,

__
Kindest regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Now that's a letter that will actually get read.

jakeman

Not some grand decline of the parks at all Jake. Just the slow diminishing of quality, and standards, and entertainment. It all starts to add up after a while Jake. The WoL issue just seems to be another example.
I believe we just said the same thing, yours is just worded better. :wave:

It wouldn't be the internet if there wasn't a large dose of hyperbole going around.

With that said, I really can't find anything positive about this move.
Now that's a letter that will actually get read.
I agree completely. It is very well written and speaks the language of the mouse...$$$

WDWFigment

Yep....Communication on this, our Spaceship Earth, is good.:D

My first comment didn't make the cut, but my second did. Hope people continue to post on there. So far, Lights of Winter comments are beating on topic comments 18-0. Good work, guys! Hopefully people are seeing these comments who otherwise aren't geeks, are searching the topic, coming here, and learning more. I see a couple "1" post members, so I'm thinking that's the case.

I really don't think this is a cut stemming from anything but laziness. The PC argument has been sufficiently refuted (to my satisfaction, at least), so here's the argument against it being a money cut (at least one grounded in logic): the Lights of Winter have installation/removal, maintenance, and electricity costs. However, Disney directly profits off of their existence. As noted, several PhotoPass photographers are stationed in the area. Additionally, the lights are a huge holiday draw to Walt Disney World. While you'll find few people who will cancel their trip this year because they won't be up, you will see a minute decrease in bookings next year. The reason for that is two-fold: disappointed guests who remember them from the past, but feel 'cheated' that the holiday offerings are being reduced, and new guests who the parks fail to capture (these guests would be 'captured' after seeing pictures of the lights on Facebook, Flickr, etc., and reading/hearing accounts of the gorgeous display--if said lights are not displayed, these new guests cannot be captured). Additionally, there is a loss in goodwill that is nearly irreparable.

I'm sure there are other arguments, but I'm already stealing time from things on which I'm supposed to be working for class... :lookaroun

In closing, I'll share a couple more shots of the Lights of Winter for those unfamiliar with the display:

From World Showcase:
DSC_2125.jpg

With Monorail Passing Through It:
DSC_2124.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom