Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

jakeman

Nah, just takes them a little while to get warmed up over there. They didn't even realize the Fantasy Land plans had been leaked for a few days. :lol:
Makes you wonder how in touch they really are...:lookaroun:lol:

I'm sure there will be several very long post about how these lights not showing up fit into some grand decline of the parks. Which right now, I would be hard pressed to disagree with.

tirian

You bring up a great point, this could really kill PhotoPass sales for the season.

I don't think that has anything to do with the LoW issue; last year, Photopass simply shot in front the tree with a wide-angle lens. I know, because I had my picture taken.

RiversideBunny

I don't think that has anything to do with the LoW issue; last year, Photopass simply shot in front the tree with a wide-angle lens. I know, because I had my picture taken.

There seemed to be a couple of photographers in that area last year with each using a different background.
Most guests were doing the Christmas tree background.

:xmas:

tirian

They arent being PC - that's a crazy theory.

Not for the LoW.

The only seasonal event that feels ridiculously PC is Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade, which goes out of its way to avoid saying "Christmas." As the soundtrack clearly plays "Jingle Bells," "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town," and other Christmas favorites, the characters refer to "holiday" this and "season's" that. It's insulting to anybody who knows how to read a calendar, regardless of whether or not you celebrate Christmas. Whatever exec thinks this makes the parade inclusive is delusional, because it clearly has Christmas trees, wreaths, Santa hats, and other decorations in the festive colors of red and green. :lol: :xmas:

tirian

I don't think Disney is trying to be PC - they have quite a bit of Christmas around (the Osborne Lights, including a nativity - the Candlelight Processional, which is a telling of the Bible story).

I've heard theories of why the lights aren't running, but my #1 guess has to do with money. Perhaps those darned lights just got in the way of the Photopass photographers. :)

The Lights of Winter are one of the highlights of Christmas for me at the parks. I figured a lot of other people would miss them too, and hopefully Disney will take note of that. I just can't imagine walking from Future World to World Showcase without them during Christmastime.

Denise

Neither can I. :(

nbodyhome

This is only November 9.
Is it certain that they won't be up this year?
Maybe a new version using newer props?

They aren't mentioned in any literature and they aren't on any schedule to be put up.

If Disney was going to do something new with the lights this year - including changing over to LED'S, I expect they'd make a HUGE mention of it ("Lights of Winter, Better than Ever!")

And I was kidding about the Photopass - sort of.

Denise

hpyhnt 1000

This is only November 9.
Is it certain that they won't be up this year?
Maybe a new version using newer props?

As much as I hope thats the case, if that were true, I'm fairly certain Disney would be hyping it up as much as possible. If there were improvements coming, guarentee you it would be in the press releases as something along the lines of, "This year, the Lights of Winter return to Epcot, and with the help of 30,000 new LEDs, this Epcot tradiiton is bigger and brighter than ever before!"

I know when the Osbourne Lights went into dancing mode, there was non stop press about it and making sure word got out that it was now different and better. There has been nothing regarding the LoW, not even a mention in any press release...

mickeysaver

You bring up a great point, this could really kill PhotoPass sales for the season.

I am on the fence about pre-purchasing a PhotoPass cd as it is. I had not even factored in the loss of the LoW photos, which are some of our favorite of all of our holiday PhotoPass pics from previous trips. :(

We booked our stay at the YC, giving up the Poly because we love Epcot at the holidays, mostly for the LoW at night. With that gone, I wish we were staying at the Poly, but it's far too late to make that happen. :(

In just 4 short weeks, I will be at DHS. I had planned to end our day at Epcot with a stroll through the LoW. :cry:

mickeysaver

There seemed to be a couple of photographers in that area last year with each using a different background.
Most guests were doing the Christmas tree background.

We have photos taken various points outside of and within the LoW. Yes, they are shot towards the tree, but it's the LoW that made the photos special and not just another tree shot.

RiversideBunny

They can't just suddenly stop doing this:

The Lights of Winter
This is a series of huge lighted arches that cover the bridge connecting Future World to World Showcase. These arches are covered with thousands of lights that are beautifully choreographed to holiday music. They are lit each night as part of the tree-lighting ceremony, and continue to dance until long after the park closes.
If the wind is cooperating, the Fountain of Nations in Future World also dances to the same music at the same time as the lights.
<Tks, allearsnet>

DecWDW

Not for the LoW.

The only seasonal event that feels ridiculously PC is Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade, which goes out of its way to avoid saying "Christmas." As the soundtrack clearly plays "Jingle Bells," "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town," and other Christmas favorites, the characters refer to "holiday" this and "season's" that. It's insulting to anybody who knows how to read a calendar, regardless of whether or not you celebrate Christmas. Whatever exec thinks this makes the parade inclusive is delusional, because it clearly has Christmas trees, wreaths, Santa hats, and other decorations in the festive colors of red and green. :lol: :xmas:

Why is this "ridiculously PC"? Does everything have to have Christmas in it? I think it's colorful and fun. I can read a calender, I don't celebrate Christmas per se, but I don't feel insulted.

Anyway, I'll miss the LoW also, if this turns out to be true. I travel to WDW every December with a group of friends and I always compile a list of "what's new". I'll be sad to have to add this news.

tirian

Why is this "ridiculously PC"? Does everything have to have Christmas in it? I think it's colorful and fun. I can read a calender, I don't celebrate Christmas per se, but I don't feel insulted.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. It's insulting because it is specifically Christmas music, decorations, and such. For example, the parade references "holiday carols." Santa Claus Goofy says he's bringing "holiday presents." Those are blatant substitutions. The word "Christmas" is never used throughout the entire Christmas-themed parade. There are no dancing dreidels, menorahs, or Kwanzaa celebrants. In the context of the parade itself, wording has been obviously chosen to be PC. Even if you aren't personally insulted, the PC craziness is both silly and insulting to many people.

I'm not trying to derail this thread with my personal opinion, and I'm not asking for the word "Christmas" to be plastered on everything. Some people had suggested that the LoW move may have been done for PC reasons, and I was simply pointing out that the only obviously PC event at WDW for the holidays is the Jingle-Jungle parade at DAK. :wave:

Hewlett13

Lights

I hope the lights are there, I have been going and taking friends to see all the lights for many years. It will be a disappointment not to have them.:shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

They arent being PC - that's a crazy theory.
Makes sense...:lookaroun:lol:
Think it's quite a shock to the social media folks there at Disney when, instead of excitement over a new park, every single comment is angst over the potential loss of some Christmas lights?

Lights of Winter is wonderful as it is, but I could stand to see it upgraded a bit. Imagine a fiber optic net weaved through the length of it (think of the descent finale from Spaceship Earth 3.0), in such a pattern that it continues the snowflake motif.
I think it should get some wheels turning....hopefully.

And yeah, everything could be upgraded. Let's get them back, first, though.
LP.com doesn't really concern themselves with actual in park issues. They seem to prefer to wax philiosophically about the parks in general.

Not that it's a bad thing, just different.
True, but wouldn't they want to get philosophical on a major loss?:lookaroun:lookaroun:lol:
I also posted my sentiments on the Disney Parks blog about the Lights of Winter. Hopefully it makes it past moderation. If not, I'll try again.

This blog may actually turn into something useful. Although we suspect the social media folks are reading this website, we know they're reading their own site. Nothing like mounting a 'friendly offensive' over there.
Yep....Communication on this, our Spaceship Earth, is good.:D

That, and it goes DIRECTLY to their people.
I dont think you'll find anyone in Disney who actually wants to see Lights of Winter removed - which makes the idea of doing so even harder to comprehend. Unlike most things at the parks, LoW seems to be universally liked.
Hence, the stupidity of this move! :lol:

Honestly, they could have cut the equivilant in Osborne lights, and no one would have noticed. What's 9 Miles instead of 10?:lookaroun

Foolish Mortal

Just in case Disney does not do them this year, here's a little taste of what we'll be missing. Might have to be a seperate lights of winter thread if it's made official :shrug:

img0140xh.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom