Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

RiversideBunny

This is overly aggessive cost costing, pure and simple.
Nothing political about it.

Pack them in, take their money, give them less and hope they don't notice.

:xmas::mad::xmas:

jt04

If this were THE reason for elimination, then they would also cut the rest of the Christmas events...and they haven't.

This reasoning = crazy theory.

In case you haven't noticed, the offerings are being eliminated incrementally and have been for several years now. To have done otherwise would have exposed their intentions. You don't see it because you don't want to see it or you are a happy these offerings are slowly being taken away.

If it was a crazy theory you could just ignore it but you won't because it has truth to it. And being dismissive doesn't change the facts of the situation.

jt04

Ever heard the phrase, "correlation does not equal causation"?

What has notbeen eliminated disproves your theory. I know your retort will probably be that any remaining vestiges of Christmas are around because they are highly profitable. My response: 1) What about the Christmas music at DHS, MK, & EPCOT? What about marketing? That would be the easiest thing to change, and yet there is marketing all over the place referencing Christmas. Finally, and most persuasive, what about the new show, A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas? If being PC is so high on the agenda, why offer a new show with Christmas in the title? 2) Why not sanitize the remaining offerings to make them more PC? (I would argue that Candlelight Processional would still sell all of its dinner packages as a generic performance by a choir with a guest host. other offerings could be similarly altered).

See my post above. The word "Christmas" sells merchandise and tickets and that is what it is being used for in the parks. But the meaning of the Holiday is being sanitized. So, as long as "Christmas" moves merchandise it's tolerated but insomuch as it offends the perpetually offended, it is being eliminated. Slowly but surely.

EpcoTim

Ever heard the phrase, "correlation does not equal causation"?

What has notbeen eliminated disproves your theory. I know your retort will probably be that any remaining vestiges of Christmas are around because they are highly profitable. My response: 1) What about the Christmas music at DHS, MK, & EPCOT? What about marketing? That would be the easiest thing to change, and yet there is marketing all over the place referencing Christmas. Finally, and most persuasive, what about the new show, A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas? If being PC is so high on the agenda, why offer a new show with Christmas in the title? 2) Why not sanitize the remaining offerings to make them more PC? (I would argue that Candlelight Processional would still sell all of its dinner packages as a generic performance by a choir with a guest host. other offerings could be similarly altered).

Seriously, or what about the entire store dedicated to Christmas at Downtown?

WDWFigment

See my post above. The word "Christmas" sells merchandise and tickets and that is what it is being used for in the parks. But the meaning of the Holiday is being sanitized. So, as long as "Christmas" moves merchandise it's tolerated but insomuch as it offends the perpetually offended, it is being eliminated. Slowly but surely.

What about the Totally Tomorrowland Christmas show? How does that move merchandise? The Christmas area music?

Many things could be sanitized and just as easily sell (as much) as they do currently, but changes have not been made.

Personally, I think you're only saying this because it fits your agenda better. If you concede that this might be a cost-cutting move, you are, to an extent, defeating your own arguments that WDW had turned a corner when it comes to the quality of its product, and that cutting costs were no longer priority number one.

Pioneer Hall

I don't have the time (or the patience really) to read through this whole thread to see if this was mentioned...if it was just ignore.

Today the Orlando Sentinel put out a guide to the holiday season for the area. A character tree lighting ceremony is planned nightly for Epcot. Now, this could be an error but who knows...maybe something is being added since the Lights of Winter won't be shown this year.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...lidays-at-orlando-attractions,0,3633698.story

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
In case you haven't noticed, the offerings are being eliminated incrementally and have been for several years now. To have done otherwise would have exposed their intentions. You don't see it because you don't want to see it or you are a happy these offerings are slowly being taken away.

If it was a crazy theory you could just ignore it but you won't because it has truth to it. And being dismissive doesn't change the facts of the situation.

JT - let's keep this thread about LoW and not conspiracy theories. If you want to discuss your theory, start a new thread with it. I don't want this thread to get sidetracked. Thanks.

jt04

What about the Totally Tomorrowland Christmas show? How does that move merchandise? The Christmas area music?

Many things could be sanitized and just as easily sell (as much) as they do currently, but changes have not been made.

Personally, I think you're only saying this because it fits your agenda better. If you concede that this might be a cost-cutting move, you are, to an extent, defeating your own arguments that WDW had turned a corner when it comes to the quality of its product, and that cutting costs were no longer priority number one.

The new TTC show is a perfect example. I guarantee to you there won't be any references to the meaning of Christmas. Just as the AK parade has done. The meaning of the Holiday is being eliminated. And as it is, the new offerings are really just secularized shows with tinsel and blinking lights.

Renditions of Silent Night or O Holy Night etc. are now exceedingly rare.

Stitch probably sings a mean Jingle Bells however. :rolleyes:

gbruenin

I can't imagine there will be an $$$ savings by doing this....especially after they find the need to install FastPass machines at Guest Relations to handle the 120min wait lines of complaints. I'll be in that line every day.

I recall a few years ago when they didn't run Osborne lights due to construction. I wonder how that affected attendance numbers (and subsequently revenue) at the Studios.

Gary

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I can't imagine there will be an $$$ savings by doing this....especially after they find the need to install FastPass machines at Guest Relations to handle the 120min wait lines of complaints. I'll be in that line every day.

I recall a few years ago when they didn't run Osborne lights due to construction. I wonder how that affected attendance numbers (and subsequently revenue) at the Studios.

Gary

The big difference with the Osbornes was that like you say, it was due to construction, and they did make it clear it would return. If the Lights of Winter aren't shown it is going to be very difficult to explain.

Main Street USA

You are wrong. ;)

Main Street USA

The big difference with the Osbornes was that like you say, it was due to construction, and they did make it clear it would return. If the Lights of Winter aren't shown it is going to be very difficult to explain.
I guess what I really want is a solid reason...like they're broken and they've been trying hard to fix them, but have been unsuccessful. Now, we know that isn't true being that they sit where they do, but still...I want a good reason.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Lights of Winter is the soul of the holidays at Epcot. It isn't just the lights, but the music and the grandness that it gives to Epcot. If it turns out to be the case that they will not be shown, it's an incredibly poor management decision. Does Epcot have anything worth doing at the Holidays anymore? Candelight has basically become a dinner show and is not affordable for my family, the tree lighting has been removed, and now it looks like Lights of Winter are gone. The only thing left is the special edition of the fireworks. However, as others have said, a few minutes of fireworks is not the same as hours of Lights of Winter. Fireworks do not create an atmosphere that sets the mood for the whole night, the Lights of Winter do.

If they don't go ahead, add me to the list who will be writing and heading right into guest relations.

donaldfan

I don't have the time (or the patience really) to read through this whole thread to see if this was mentioned...if it was just ignore.

Today the Orlando Sentinel put out a guide to the holiday season for the area. A character tree lighting ceremony is planned nightly for Epcot. Now, this could be an error but who knows...maybe something is being added since the Lights of Winter won't be shown this year.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...lidays-at-orlando-attractions,0,3633698.story

the article also said that there will be a light display

Epcot, Walt Disney World -- Holidays Around The World add international flavor to the season Nov. 27-Dec. 30. This cherished Epcot tradition presents costumed storytellers like Los Tres Reyes Magos (the three Magi) in the Mexico pavilion and Pere Noel in France. Other festivities include a daily character tree-lighting ceremony, a light display and the Candlelight Processional presented at the park's America Gardens Theatre with celebrity narrators, massed choir and 50-piece orchestra retelling the Christmas story in words and music. Admission is $79 for adults, $68 for children. Visit www.disneyworld.com

EPCOT Explorer

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr. Robert Iger
Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meg Crofton[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
President
The Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These are universal addresses, they are going to all go through guest relations. So if you want to contact Dan Cockrel, you would use[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr Dan Cockrell[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]V.P. Epcot [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Walt Disney World Resort[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PO Box 10040[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lake Buena Vista Fl 32830
[/FONT]
:king:

Thank you.....
Do people think that a phone call to guest relations is as effective as a letter? I'd like to call them.
I'm doing it all....I just need the number.
My first comment didn't make the cut, but my second did. Hope people continue to post on there. So far, Lights of Winter comments are beating on topic comments 18-0. Good work, guys! Hopefully people are seeing these comments who otherwise aren't geeks, are searching the topic, coming here, and learning more. I see a couple "1" post members, so I'm thinking that's the case.

I really don't think this is a cut stemming from anything but laziness. The PC argument has been sufficiently refuted (to my satisfaction, at least), so here's the argument against it being a money cut (at least one grounded in logic): the Lights of Winter have installation/removal, maintenance, and electricity costs. However, Disney directly profits off of their existence. As noted, several PhotoPass photographers are stationed in the area. Additionally, the lights are a huge holiday draw to Walt Disney World. While you'll find few people who will cancel their trip this year because they won't be up, you will see a minute decrease in bookings next year. The reason for that is two-fold: disappointed guests who remember them from the past, but feel 'cheated' that the holiday offerings are being reduced, and new guests who the parks fail to capture (these guests would be 'captured' after seeing pictures of the lights on Facebook, Flickr, etc., and reading/hearing accounts of the gorgeous display--if said lights are not displayed, these new guests cannot be captured). Additionally, there is a loss in goodwill that is nearly irreparable.

I'm sure there are other arguments, but I'm already stealing time from things on which I'm supposed to be working for class... :lookaroun

In closing, I'll share a couple more shots of the Lights of Winter for those unfamiliar with the display:

From World Showcase:
DSC_2125.jpg

With Monorail Passing Through It:
DSC_2124.jpg
Can you post your first reply if you still have it? :lol: How did they deny you?

I agree in full with you take on this..and those pics are fantastic!

Slightly hopeful...:eek:

It IS plausible that they just think that we think that it's a given thus thinking that we expect it, they just don't advertise it, but it will be there.

Just a thought...

techgeek

the article also said that there will be a light display

Epcot, Walt Disney World -- Holidays Around The World add international flavor to the season Nov. 27-Dec. 30. This cherished Epcot tradition presents costumed storytellers like Los Tres Reyes Magos (the three Magi) in the Mexico pavilion and Pere Noel in France. Other festivities include a daily character tree-lighting ceremony, a light display and the Candlelight Processional presented at the park's America Gardens Theatre with celebrity narrators, massed choir and 50-piece orchestra retelling the Christmas story in words and music. Admission is $79 for adults, $68 for children. Visit www.disneyworld.com

Considering the non-existant tree lighting ceremony is highlighted, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is a 'copy and paste' error from previous years of the holiday guide. I'm guessing someone didn't take the time to write fresh copy based on this years press release, or just assumed things would be as they should be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom