Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

jt04

The new Castle Lights are not really a Christmas celebration. They are rather un-Christmas-y. Don't get me wrong, it's a great show but it's not about Christmas.

That really just leaves the Studios and I absolutely expect it will turn into an un-Christmas display as the years pass. Christmas is being "sanitized" even at Disney. The CP would be gone but it makes the mouse big money.

Happy Holidays. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, I forgot one. The Christmas Carolers at CMM eliminated. So shall we start a list? Yes we shall.

1. CBJ Christmas overlay
2. Epcot's nightly Christmas Tree lighting
3. Twas the Night Before Christmas at MVMCP
4. Lights of Winter and associated Christmas music
5. Christmas Carolers at Camp Minnie Mickey

All eliminated at last word. :rolleyes:

Ho Ho Ho :brick:

EPCOT Explorer

The new Castle Lights are not really a Christmas celebration. They are rather un-Christmas-y. Don't get me wrong, it's a great show but it's not about Christmas.

That really just leaves the Studios and I absolutely expect it will turn into an un-Christmas display as the years pass. Christmas is being "sanitized" even at Disney. The CP would be gone but it makes the mouse big money.

Happy Holidays. :rolleyes:
It's obvious, though....Do they think we are stupid?

Wait....:lookaroun

@Explorer -- Let's hope. Because I'm totally writing in.

@Sparky-- Hey, Jen. It has been a while. I've been lurking for the past month or so.
As am I. Emails and calls, if I can manage, too.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong. However, I do see the irony in Disney remaking "A Christmas Carol" while treating the parks like scrooge.

And to all a goodnight. :xmas:
I would actually think that that disproves your theory...:shrug:
Here's the address I found on the boards:

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista , FL 32830-0040

I don't know if it's too late for this year, but if everyone writes maybe they'll bring it back next year.

I have a relative in WDI, the letters get taken seriously. E-mails are often dismissed as "heat of the moment frustration." Taking the time to send a letter signifies dissatisfaction. (The more detail the better when writing about attractions not operating.)

My hope is that they'll realize what a huge mistake this is....
Fantasmic. :D
Oh yes, I forgot one. The Christmas Carolers at CMM eliminated. So shall we start a list? Yes we shall.

1. CBJ Christmas overlay
2. Epcot's nightly Christmas Tree lighting
3. Twas the Night Before Christmas at MVMCP
4. Lights of Winter and associated Christmas music
5. Christmas Carolers at Camp Minnie Mickey

All eliminated at last word. :rolleyes:

Ho Ho Ho :brick:
The ones that actually say X-Mas, yes...IF this PC Crap is true.

LoW? No way. This is cost. I think I heard a Hanukkah song there, once, BTW...I remember being pleased. :lol:

jt04

It's obvious, though....Do they think we are stupid?

Wait....:lookaroun

As am I. Emails and calls, if I can manage, too.

I would actually think that that disproves your theory...:shrug:

Fantasmic. :D
The ones that actually say X-Mas, yes...IF this PC Crap is true.

LoW? No way. This is cost. I think I heard a Hanukkah song there, once, BTW...I remember being pleased. :lol:

I'd love to see a Hanukkah display and traditions at Epcot. It's the elimination of Christmas from Disney parks that is troubling. Especially when there are easy ways to work around the phony claims of the political correctness police.

But the reaction these days to complaints is censorship instead of finding valid work arounds and that is just lazy and stupid. It's not just Disney doing this. Submitting to the "offended" is a very slippery slope. I see the emergence of facism in the PC movement.

True facism.

EPCOT Explorer

I'd love to see a Hanukkah display and traditions at Epcot. It's the elimination of Christmas from Disney parks that is troubling. Especially when there are easy ways to work around the phony claims of the political correctness police.

But the reaction these days to complaints is censorship instead of finding valid work arounds and that is just lazy and stupid. It's not just Disney doing this. Submitting to the "offended" is a very slippery slope. I see the emergence of facism in the PC movement.

True facism.
Ummmm....It's there.:lookaroun They have one at the American Adventure. Didn't have time to see her in 2006, but she will be seen in Dec. I've heard she's great.

Won't disagree, though the word choice is dramatic. ;)

CrashNet

I'm usually not one to comment on what right now is a rumor, but this is possibly the most depressing thread I've ever seen on this forum, and I'm an oldster! :lol:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
And, WOW.....Our comments were approved on the Disney Parks Blog!!!:eek::ROFLOL:

That's a good sign, right? Hope they answer them....

I went to the parks blog and I couldn't find anything related to the LoW. Where did you see that?

I am sending out my letter to Disney today, I was mad last year when I returned for Xmas and there was no tree lighting. Now they are taking down the lights? It just seems like such a poorly thought out decision. My only thought is that they think it is not bringing people into the park, so why bother with them. It is not purely cost cutting, but if TDO thinks that they are just wasting time and money, and getting zero return on investment, then they would cut it.

The sad part is, they are right. I am sure that taking down the lights and canceling the tree lighting will have minimal impact on guest attendance. People will still go, they will get over the initial disappointment, and they will be back again.

This is a dangerous tact to take though for WDW. It becomes a slippery slope, they take and take and take, the attendance numbers do not decrease dramatically, so they think they are making the right decisions. Over time however, WDW will lose its appeal to the repeat visitor, attendance + spending will dip and Disney will be in a very tough spot. They will need to add and upgrade, and they will have less funds because of the years of neglect, which led to lower attendance, lower profits.

They seem to be testing us right now, first with PI, now with X-mas decorations, how much will we take and keep coming back?

EPCOT Explorer

I went to the parks blog and I couldn't find anything related to the LoW. Where did you see that?

I am sending out my letter to Disney today, I was mad last year when I returned for Xmas and there was no tree lighting. Now they are taking down the lights? It just seems like such a poorly thought out decision. My only thought is that they think it is not bringing people into the park, so why bother with them. It is not purely cost cutting, but if TDO thinks that they are just wasting time and money, and getting zero return on investment, then they would cut it.

The sad part is, they are right. I am sure that taking down the lights and canceling the tree lighting will have minimal impact on guest attendance. People will still go, they will get over the initial disappointment, and they will be back again.

This is a dangerous tact to take though for WDW. It becomes a slippery slope, they take and take and take, the attendance numbers do not decrease dramatically, so they think they are making the right decisions. Over time however, WDW will lose its appeal to the repeat visitor, attendance + spending will dip and Disney will be in a very tough spot. They will need to add and upgrade, and they will have less funds because of the years of neglect, which led to lower attendance, lower profits.

They seem to be testing us right now, first with PI, now with X-mas decorations, how much will we take and keep coming back?
We just posted it under the "Week in Review" section....There's about 5 comments. Hopefully more moderating.

I agree with you in full....but don't forget prices!!! That's the HUGE factor driving me away, I know that. We used to pop up there for a day or two ALL the time when I was younger. Now? Yearly trip, one day. This year is the first time since....1999?, I'm tempted to say where we do two days, two parks, and a second trip this year. Just got lucky, I guess, and we did have to cancel part of our Summer trip.:shrug:

Mr.EPCOT

Think it's quite a shock to the social media folks there at Disney when, instead of excitement over a new park, every single comment is angst over the potential loss of some Christmas lights?

Lights of Winter is wonderful as it is, but I could stand to see it upgraded a bit. Imagine a fiber optic net weaved through the length of it (think of the descent finale from Spaceship Earth 3.0), in such a pattern that it continues the snowflake motif.

RiversideBunny

They can't just cancel a major part of Christmas at EPCOT.

IMHO, EPCOT has the least Disney themeing of the parks already.
It should be decorated for Christmas as has been the practice for many years.

:xmas:

jakeman

And yeah, I think that those comments must be from this website...I posted this news to LP.com, and while they are incensed, the reaction is not nearly as strong as the one on here.
LP.com doesn't really concern themselves with actual in park issues. They seem to prefer to wax philiosophically about the parks in general.

Not that it's a bad thing, just different.

Main Street USA

They arent being PC - that's a crazy theory.
Yes, definitely a crazy theory. The idea that it's a PC move when they still offer Mickey's Very Merry CHRISTMAS Party, and then something even more Christmas related than that, the actual story of Jesus' birth over at the American Adventure in the form of the Candlelight Processional.

Crazy, indeed.

WDWFigment

I also posted my sentiments on the Disney Parks blog about the Lights of Winter. Hopefully it makes it past moderation. If not, I'll try again.

This blog may actually turn into something useful. Although we suspect the social media folks are reading this website, we know they're reading their own site. Nothing like mounting a 'friendly offensive' over there.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
And, WOW.....Our comments were approved on the Disney Parks Blog!!!:eek::ROFLOL:

That's a good sign, right? Hope they answer them....

I dont think you'll find anyone in Disney who actually wants to see Lights of Winter removed - which makes the idea of doing so even harder to comprehend. Unlike most things at the parks, LoW seems to be universally liked.

MousDad

LP.com doesn't really concern themselves with actual in park issues. They seem to prefer to wax philiosophically about the parks in general.

Not that it's a bad thing, just different.

Nah, just takes them a little while to get warmed up over there. They didn't even realize the Fantasy Land plans had been leaked for a few days. :lol:

nbodyhome

I don't think Disney is trying to be PC - they have quite a bit of Christmas around (the Osborne Lights, including a nativity - the Candlelight Processional, which is a telling of the Bible story).

I've heard theories of why the lights aren't running, but my #1 guess has to do with money. Perhaps those darned lights just got in the way of the Photopass photographers. :)

The Lights of Winter are one of the highlights of Christmas for me at the parks. I figured a lot of other people would miss them too, and hopefully Disney will take note of that. I just can't imagine walking from Future World to World Showcase without them during Christmastime.

Denise

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom