Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

jakeman

IMHO, I'd remove the Annual Passholder slant.
I disagree. By saying that he is an Annual Passholder and considering not renewing for his family, Disney is now not only potentially losing out on several hunderds of dollars on initial admission, but a years worth of food, beverage, rooms, and merchandise.

I'm sure Disney know exactly how much an annual passholder spends on average, so they know exactly how much they would be losing if he did not review.

RiversideBunny

I think what's needed is a more sentimental letter.
Like this:

Dear Mr. or Mrs. Disney Manager,

Hi.
You don't know me because a lot of people go to Walt Disney World and I'm only one of them.
I'm writing to you because I heard some news today that directly affects my family in very bad way.

You see, this year, we are taking my Grandmother Nana.
She went once before but it's been a few years.
The problem is that Grandmother Nana keeps talking about the thing the she enjoyed the most on her last visit.
It was the lights in EPCOT over the bridge that are called the Lights of Winter.
She enjoyed them so much and, as she is now 94 and has terminal linguine, this will probably be her last visit.
We heard today, though, that the lights won't be there this year?
Is that true? Why?

I don't want to tell Grandmother Nana that they won't be there until I hear it officially from you.
Please reply and let me know and, if they truly won't be there this year like in the years before, then tell me why so I can try to console her.
I know she will cry.

Thank you very much. I know you are busy.
I just wanted to write to you because Grandmother Nana is going with us in December, maybe for the last time.

Sincerely yours,

Billy Jones
Age 10
:xmas:

CrashNet

Is it possible they are just understaffed this year and can't do everything at once? WDW made a large sweep of layoffs earlier this year. Also, is the Epcot Christmas tree backstage yet? That would be an indication that they are even working on Epcot decoration placement.

raven

Is it possible they are just understaffed this year and can't do everything at once? WDW made a large sweep of layoffs earlier this year. Also, is the Epcot Christmas tree backstage yet? That would be an indication that they are even working on Epcot decoration placement.

Yes. Both are in the CM parking lot.

Main Street USA

I still think it has something to do with the teardown of the F&W festival. Time will tell.
I think I'm going to send off a letter anyway. Even if they end up putting them up (hoping beyond hope), it will still be good for Disney to hear from concerned guests.

hpyhnt 1000

I still think it has something to do with the teardown of the F&W festival. Time will tell.

Hopefully. Thats why I'm holding on the letter for a few days still. By the first part of next week, we should have a pretty definitive answer on whether or not the LoW are going up.

tirian

The LoW are still listed on the Portal as a holiday event, so I agree that it's too early to confirm or deny this.

However...

I think I'm going to send off a letter anyway. Even if they end up putting them up (hoping beyond hope), it will still be good for Disney to hear from concerned guests.

...I think that well-written letters should be sent, because even if the LoW concern is unfounded, Disney needs to hear from WDW APs. The DL APs have a very strong voice; those from WDW do not.

jt04

They arent being PC - that's a crazy theory.

Uh-huh :rolleyes:

1. CBJ Christmas overlay
2. Epcot's nightly Christmas Tree lighting
3. Twas the Night Before Christmas at MVMCP
4. Lights of Winter and associated Christmas music
5. Christmas Carolers at Camp Minnie Mickey

All eliminated at last word.

Pure PC :zipit:

Main Street USA

1. CBJ Christmas overlay

If this were THE reason for elimination, then they would also cut the rest of the Christmas events...and they haven't.

This reasoning = crazy theory.

WDWFigment

1. CBJ Christmas overlay

Ever heard the phrase, "correlation does not equal causation"?

What has notbeen eliminated disproves your theory. I know your retort will probably be that any remaining vestiges of Christmas are around because they are highly profitable. My response: 1) What about the Christmas music at DHS, MK, & EPCOT? What about marketing? That would be the easiest thing to change, and yet there is marketing all over the place referencing Christmas. Finally, and most persuasive, what about the new show, A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas? If being PC is so high on the agenda, why offer a new show with Christmas in the title? 2) Why not sanitize the remaining offerings to make them more PC? (I would argue that Candlelight Processional would still sell all of its dinner packages as a generic performance by a choir with a guest host. other offerings could be similarly altered).

WDW Vacationer

For what it's worth, here's my letter....

To whom it may concern,

My name is xxxxxxxxxxxx and I’ve been a satisfied Disney World Premium Annual Passholder off and on for the last 10 years.__ Currently, I’m a passholder wondering if I should renew again this Thanksgiving when my anniversary rolls around.__ While there are great benefits and advantages to holding this annual pass, there have been several changes at WDW that are beginning to make the experience less than “Disney-like,” and to that point, I’m not really sure what I’m paying for anymore.

As an avid Disney fan, not just of the parks, but all things Disney, I try keep in touch with Disney’s progress and what they are doing in the present, and near future.__ I love coming to the parks to experience new attractions, revisit the classics, take advantage of the countless dining options, and am always looking to spot and experience things I may have missed during my last trip.__

On the other hand, I make sure that I make a trip down at the times of year that bring the most joy and excitement to my life, that remind me just how spectacular and superior Disney theme parks are over the thrill ride parks like Universal.__ WDW during the Holidays is that time for me.__ However, over the last few years it seems as though Disney has been taking to cost-cutting measures that effect the very things that separate it from the rest of the wannabes.__ A few years ago the Country Bear Jamboree Christmas overlay was scrapped. __Last year the Epcot tree lighting ceremony disappeared. __The classic 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' show in Tomorrowland is now gone, and the Christmas Carolers over in Camp Minnie-Mickey have left, too. And now today, I was reading about the Lights of Winter at Epcot and how they may not be coming back.__ This made my heart sink into my stomach as one of my Disney holiday rituals of sitting under the arches and enjoying the relaxing music and lights, something that represents true Disney holiday magic, will be gone forever.

My wife and I are about to have our first child and plan to make these annual trips to Disney each year, just as I did with my parents, but the cutting of all of these small, special, Disney details are making me wonder if these trips are going to be worth the money. If Disney keeps at this rate, when my kids are teenagers and want to go to Universal because the “rides are so much better”, I won’t be able to convince them otherwise.__ In today’s world, and even more so in years past, I’d be able to point out all of the history, the creative__Imagineering, and__the unwillingness to stop at “good enough”.__ All of which are character traits I’d like to instill in my children.__ I’d like to teach them that the little things matter, that the time and money spent on the extra detail__or going the extra mile to make someone’s experience great is worth more than a few thousand dollars.__ In the short term, that money might be great, but taking away that detail could cost you more in the long run than the money you save today.__

I think Disney is the place where you get to recognize possibilities, appreciate art, admire architecture, and experience the brilliance and compassion of some of the greatest minds of our world. __To those people who think the Lights of Winter are insignificant to a great Disney holiday experience, I say they really haven’t had a chance to understand the emotional side of Disney, instead they’ve been focusing on the bottom line.__ Unfortunately, that’s not how Disney got to be what it is today, and I sincerely hope Disney doesn’t forget that, otherwise they will soon have to answer the question "why would I choose to go to Disney over ____."

Please reconsider this decision, and if costs must be cut, consider other possibilities that are less significant.__
__
Kindest regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fantastic! Thank you!

I may write a letter and if they are not up by my EPCOT day,I may pay a visit to GR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom