Lighthouse Point to welcome guests in Summer 2024

Chip Chipperson

They probably had to have the dock be that long due to the depth of the seabed. The farther you go, the less dredging is required, and the less impact on nature. So, I get it. I just assumed that they would provide trams. I am sure we would just walk, but I've also never gone with kids and their beach-gear.
Yeah, I get the length but not the lack of trams.

Vegas Disney Fan

So exciting finally seeing YouTube videos of this, loving the water color, missing the lagoon, love the long beaches, missing the more natural feel of Castaway cay… can’t wait to experience this for myself.

It has a very different feel from Castaway Cay so it’s sure to get a lot of pro/con comparions but I think that’ll make them both more appealing for return trips in the long run, a carbon copy would have been boring.

jme

I, personally, do not mind the 10-15 minute walk to the trams.
My tired young kids will mind it after a full day at the beach. Which means I will have to carry them. Which means I, then, will mind it.

Also, I'm sure people with mobility issues will be accommodated with a golf cart or something, but why not make the pier a little wider to give that space allowance?

And yes, they built the dock farther out because of the reef there, to limit damage to the ecosystem, reduce dredging and its environmental impacts. I'm totally cool with all of that. Build a half-mile pier - sure no problem.

But they built one and made a design choice to not include benches for people who may need a break, and without shade structures. Those were choices they made. Those were poor choices.

jme

Negativity about the pier aside - the island looks gorgeous! I am very excited to see some footage of the cultural center, shopping, and other non-beach activities at Lookout Cay

ToTBellHop

This looks stunningly beautiful. Especially if you head down the beach near the rocky cliffs or take the nature hike.

And that splash pad is a big upgrade over the saltwater floating slide platform at Castaway. I think these destinations complement each other well. Excited to visit both next summer.

And yes, there are golf carts for those requiring assistance to the trams.

Disney Analyst

This looks stunningly beautiful. Especially if you head down the beach near the rocky cliffs or take the nature hike.

And that splash pad is a big upgrade over the saltwater floating slide platform at Castaway. I think these destinations complement each other well. Excited to visit both next summer.

And yes, there are golf carts for those requiring assistance to the trams.

It really does look like a stunning location!! Much nicer beaches in fact than Castaway. Glad they have two, very different options now!

KeithVH

The trams will never go out there, Not enough room for them to reverse. How many golf carts do they have? How many people over 70+ in a sailing can't make it that far in the heat of the day? Betcha more than they can accommodate. A lot of us have no personal problem but that's such a minority of people, especially those who, in this day and age, just love to complain about something. Feel bad for the CMs the most, I think, who will have to del with the fallout.

ToTBellHop

An interesting map showing planned expansions (whether they will actually get built is another matter).
1717858322619.png

castlecake2.0

First thoughts:

pier needs shade and visual interest to break up the walk.

All the buildings look cheap? Almost like strip mall esque. Wish there was more to transport you to different time/place, or if it’s supposed to be modern Bahamas give it more depth like Aulani.

I like the cultural inclusion of the area

Vegas Disney Fan

Castaway Cay seems like much better in setup, theming and vibe.
I watched a few more videos this morning and I have a similar feeling, I’m getting Disney Wish vibes, it’s nice and I’m sure I’ll enjoy it but given a choice I suspect we’ll likely choose to go to Castaway, just like we choose to book on the older ships over the Wish.

Seems like everything Disney does now leaves me preferring their older offerings, the new stuff isn’t bad, it’s just not quite as good as the old stuff. Still excited to try it though.

Last edited:

Maelstrom Troll

First thoughts:

pier needs shade and visual interest to break up the walk.

All the buildings look cheap? Almost like strip mall esque. Wish there was more to transport you to different time/place, or if it’s supposed to be modern Bahamas give it more depth like Aulani.

I like the cultural inclusion of the area
How will you shade a half mile in an area plagued by tropical storms?

Maelstrom Troll

Honestly the about of talk about the pier on reddit has me cracking up. Plenty of other piers have a similar set up. If it’s that big of a hardship stay on the ship.

SplashJacket

I will walk for fun if there’s a tram that’s faster and more convenient.

That said, it’s inexcusable the tram doesn’t pick you up immediately beside the ship.

A long hot, shadeless, walk in flip flops does not sound fun in the slightest. It’s a big misfire. They already have trams, just make them more useful.

Seconding what others have said, it looks cheap and barren. Landscaping leaves a tremendous amount to be desired, really disappointed compared to my expectations, since Rhode was leading the charge.

Maybe landscape will improve/these early days won’t be reflective of the experience 5 years, a year, or even 6 months from now, but regardless.

Buildings look serviceable but it all almost looks like a cheap imitation of Castaway. At the end of the day, it’s still in paradise, so it’s not like it’ll be bad, but regardless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom