Lighthouse Point to welcome guests in Summer 2024

Vegas Disney Fan

Just one last thought. Considering the design limitations of the pier, isn't that exactly the scenario for why the PeopleMover was invented? Kinda makes you wonder . . .
I had a similar thought, not necessarily a peoplemover but a small tram with an engine on both ends so it wouldn’t need space to turn around, just a very basic means of transport.

TrainsOfDisney

Plenty of other piers have a similar set up.
Can you provide some examples?

I haven’t cruised much but the closest example I can think of is Virgin, the tran picks you up right on the pier and that’s for a pier that is only .2 miles long - so it’s certainly not an unheard of concept for the trams to pick you up on the pier and not make you walk the length before boarding the tram.

TrainsOfDisney

The one at coco cay isn’t exactly short. But I can’t recall whether they have a tram.
The walk to the tram is about .14 miles according to google maps.
220F3AE2-3984-4FDE-8303-1A323699D7F5.png
14478EC5-6F67-4E45-8782-24A6A64B052B.jpeg

TrainsOfDisney

@Andrew C was talking about Coco Cay -- Royal Caribbean's island -- but you posted maps of Castaway Cay. Not criticizing, just pointing out you may have misunderstood him.
Ohhhhh indeed I did! Classic Cay mix up! Haha.

But for Coco the walk is .25 miles (so half) - they have shade structures up, and there is no tram ride after the .25 mile walk - you are there!

D6987878-23AD-4D8F-97F6-EF571708754D.jpeg

DisneyHead123

Seconding what others have said, it looks cheap and barren. Landscaping leaves a tremendous amount to be desired, really disappointed compared to my expectations, since Rhode was leading the charge.

Maybe landscape will improve/these early days won’t be reflective of the experience 5 years, a year, or even 6 months from now, but regardless.

Buildings look serviceable but it all almost looks like a cheap imitation of Castaway. At the end of the day, it’s still in paradise, so it’s not like it’ll be bad, but regardless.
What do you think it needs to look more filled in and complete? I kind of agree with you that it feels like something is missing, but can’t totally put my finger on what.

Maybe it’s that the theme of this cay seems to be Caribbean culture. So while Castaway should be more about nature - the idea is that you’re literally castaways, after all - this one should have more of the vibrancy of the Caribbean. Wandering performers… mini parades of musicians… a marketplace full of neat eclectic stuff to explore… small surprises to discover like a hut with traditional Caribbean games (Oware is one, I think,)… touch tanks with Caribbean themed ocean life for the kids, etc. Maybe just more decor in general with bright jewel tones.

I don’t think it needs to be a mini theme park like Coco Cay. But it seems like maybe they wanted both a super natural look here as well as a Caribbean culture theme, when maybe they should have gone all in on the “vibrant Caribbean festival” theme. The beaches will be gorgeous regardless so I don’t know that they needed to go minimalist on the rest of the decor to highlight the natural beauty of the area.

DisneyHead123

Also, just a random thought but… how long until we have a movie set in the Caribbean for associated Caribbean IP? I feel like that totally has to be coming.

Vegas Disney Fan

Doesn’t a golf cart fall under that?
It does but it doesn’t have much capacity, if a rainstorm blows in a couple golf carts carrying a half dozen people each aren’t going to make a dent in 1,000 guests trying to cover a half mile to get back onboard.

In ideal conditions 99% of the guests will be fine with it but if the wind picks up, it starts raining, a child is sleeping and is being carried, you’re carrying heavy bags full of souvenirs, etc it’s going to feel a lot longer than half a mile.

DisneyHead123

It does but it doesn’t have much capacity, if a rainstorm blows in a couple golf carts carrying a half dozen people each aren’t going to make a dent in 1,000 guests trying to cover a half mile to get back onboard.

In ideal conditions 99% of the guests will be fine with it but if the wind picks up, it starts raining, a child is sleeping and is being carried, you’re carrying heavy bags full of souvenirs, etc it’s going to feel a lot longer than half a mile.
I feel like I can’t complain because the width and length of that bridge is all for environmental protection. Given the number of cruises in the Caribbean and the environmental impact, cruise lines have to get better about that type of thing.

That said I think it is just a given that the bridge will become a nightmare traffic jam of EVCs, strollers and wagons. I mean the parks are like that so it is what it is I guess, I don’t see any way around it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom