Least Favorite Urban Legend (Have Fun)

sublimesting

That simply isn't true. All you have to do is show you felt you or a third persons life might be in danger. No weapon or physical threat need be involved.

Actually you don't have to retreat fro your home, car or office, BUT a physical threat DOES have to be involved, although that threat need not be via a weapon but physical force. The law actually states attempted murder, rape or other violent crime or forcinly removing you from premises. The courts are ruling very leniently but that leniency is NOT the way the law was intended or written according to those who wrote it.

MKCP 1985

"Every night at the Magic Kingdom, all the benches and lightposts are completely repainted."

:eek:

:brick:

How long has that one been around? I think I may have read it in my weekly reader over 30 years ago. :lookaroun

A complete new paint job would do more harm than good as the paint would build up and make a globby mess. If one tried to sand down the paint on every bench etc. every night . . . there isn't time, not to mention people would quit before doing that tedious job every single night. :hammer:

Timmay

Actually you don't have to retreat fro your home, car or office, BUT a physical threat DOES have to be involved, although that threat need not be via a weapon but physical force..

It only has to be perceived, it doesn't actually have to take place.

Example:

It is 2:30 am and you are in your computer room. You hear a noise at the front door. There have been three burglaries on your block in the past year, and in one case a homeowner was shot and killed.

You grab the pistol you keep locked in the closet and get between your child’s room and the front door. You see a figure dressed in dark clothes enter your home through the front door and you point your gun at him and tell him to stop. The figure pulls a shiny object out of his front pant pocket and you shoot, killing the person.

The police discover the person that broke into your home was not pulling a gun out of his pocket, but still had a hold of the small crowbar he used to pop your front door open.

There was no actual threat to you or your family at that time, but given the history of the neighborhood and what you saw, there was a perceived threat and you took action to eliminate that perceived threat.

And I am sorry, I will get back on topic.

Now, about those missles.

TigerLily_CM

I've heard a lot of myths or "urban legends" just from people asking me questions at the Canadian Pavilion so here's a few of my favorites...

***The castle basement is where the Disney family lives (this also goes for the apartment above the castle and someone thought they lived in Big Thunder Mountain...I would think that train zipping past every few seconds would get annoying)

***People from each pavilion were flown in every day for work

***You have to get your American dollars changed for each country you visit because you're not in the US anymore

***Everyone at the pavilions is actually American they just pretend to be from other countries

***Epcot is a secret code word from the Illuminati (or shriners or masons or templars) and we close the park one day a year and only allow secret societies to enter

***The "gay days" at Disney are sponsored by the KKK so they can get them all in the same place on the same day for a mass...well, lets just say, unpleasant event.

***The Haunted Mansion has it's own club similar to the mile high club and people get kicked out every day trying to "join"

***The tunnels under the Magic Kingdom actually lead to all the other parks and include living quarters so the behind the scenes staff are never seen in public

I could go on and on and on and on......:rolleyes:

tirian

Original Poster
***The tunnels under the Magic Kingdom actually lead to all the other parks and include living quarters so the behind the scenes staff are never seen in public

That sounds like the Oompa-Loompas working at Willie Wonka's chocolate factory.

Here are a few more:
• The Empress Lilly riverboat at DTD was built as a house for Lillian Disney.

• Only the MK is WDW.

• Universal Studios is part of WDW.

• Everyone who works for Disney is a Republican. (This is only mostly true. :lol:)

• The Grand Floridian is a 5-star hotel.

• The Chinese Theatre had to be covered due to legal issues.

• MGM's contract might expire in the Great Movie Ride. (Funny because none of the MGM films featured in the attraction are still owned by the studio.)

• The HM uses holograms.

DivineMadness7

To the poster who mentioned one of the busts in HM being modeled after Walt, let me mention that the photo on snopes.com gave me nightmares for a while....it's so creepy! I know it isn't really supposed to be Walt, but I can't look at the busts when I ride HM now. It just freaks me out!

agent86

"Least Favorite Urban Legend" was intended to be sarcastic. That's why I added "(Have Fun)."

Yeah, I don't think everyone is having "fun" with it. :lol: Observe....

This isn't an urban legend, just a misconception..... but I hate when people think that SSE is supposed to be a giant golf ball.

Probably the old "WDW is for kids" legend is the worst (alight, not really a legend but a lot of people believe it and it bugs me)

A crazy myth I quite like is the one about if ToT and RnRC launch at exactly the same time the whole of DHS will loose power

I agree that one totally gets me angry I tell my friends its a myth and they never believe me......my friends dont even like Disney World....i know....how are they even my friends!

i cant stand that one,and the two that started the thread. i also cant stand the whole disney is frozen and burried in pirates of the caribbean

And not a moment too soon. Such a pesky rumor (and that blasted sign they put up on the refurb wall for a day or two didn't help. :lol:)

My most grating urban legend is the removable castle spires one.

The number one for me is that the Tinkerbell that flies from the castle is really a very small african-american man. There has never been a male Tinkerbell. I've gotten into a million arguements with other CM's who swear they've seen this black man Tinkerbell in question but they're clearly delusional and color-blind.

There are a million college program urban legends that drive me nuts. Everyone who was a part of any program swears that there was a whole building that got busted for prositution and that they witnessed a Hong Kong hot tub orgy during their program. It's amazing to me that these events seemed to happen at least once every year between about 1994 and 2008. Oddly enough I did two college programs and never saw either, guess it was a fluke.

The urban legend is that that piece of metal in the ground was intended by design to be the bride's wedding ring. It wasn't, isn't, and never will be. It was part of a gate that's long been removed. Cast members and other fanboy types made up the ring story. They even went so far as to uncover it once a couple years ago when it got a little patch of concrete put over it.

That's why it's an urban legend, and incorrect. And annoying. :lol:

Thankfully the whole thing was finally put to bed when it was completely removed during the last huge refurb of the HM. Nothing left to debate.

Relax everyone. They're just misconceptions. No harm done. :hammer:

Phonedave

"Every night at the Magic Kingdom, all the benches and lightposts are completely repainted."

:eek:

:brick:

How long has that one been around? I think I may have read it in my weekly reader over 30 years ago. :lookaroun

A complete new paint job would do more harm than good as the paint would build up and make a globby mess. If one tried to sand down the paint on every bench etc. every night . . . there isn't time, not to mention people would quit before doing that tedious job every single night. :hammer:

Someone on another site (yes, I know, shocking) wanted to know about this for some sort of management paper or something they were doing. I went out and took photos of the same hitching post two days in a row. It looked a lot WORSE the second day :)

-dave

Phonedave

***Epcot is a secret code word from the Illuminati (or shriners or masons or templars) and we close the park one day a year and only allow secret societies to enter

Never heard that one :)

Now if only it were true.

Walt Disney also was never a Mason. Or if he was, nobody ever recorded it, and he never spoke of it. He was DeMolay, which are sort of like the "Masonic youth group".

-dave

Yeah, I don't think everyone is having "fun" with it. :lol: Observe....

Relax everyone. They're just misconceptions. No harm done. :hammer:

No one is saying that these urban myths are ruining their lives or anything just that they're annoying and bug them. There's a big difference.

cdunbar

The number one for me is that the Tinkerbell that flies from the castle is really a very small african-american man. There has never been a male Tinkerbell. I've gotten into a million arguements with other CM's who swear they've seen this black man Tinkerbell in question but they're clearly delusional and color-blind.

There are a million college program urban legends that drive me nuts. Everyone who was a part of any program swears that there was a whole building that got busted for prositution and that they witnessed a Hong Kong hot tub orgy during their program. It's amazing to me that these events seemed to happen at least once every year between about 1994 and 2008. Oddly enough I did two college programs and never saw either, guess it was a fluke.

Huh? You never saw that shocking! Well you must of been at work the days that the prostitution ring and the hot tub orgy partook! Darn, aren't you sad you missed that! LOL :ROFLOL:

bogey33

For one a company can not dictate anything to a paramedic. It has nothing to do with liability as you'd still be liable if it was your fault despite where they were declared. This is just like the urban legend that really drives me nuts: If you shoot someone on your property just drag them into your house and you won't be liable. Absolutely NOT true. As a matter of fact you have no right to shoot someone in your own home unless they are physically threatening you with a weapon. Even if they are walking out with your television and money you aren't allowed to shoot them.

You definately can in the State of Florida. Sorry to make this a grim subject on this forum.

DznyChick

-Walt Disney is an illegitimate child...
-There's a club near Pirates of the Carribean.

So many urban legends....the best part is the people who swear by them. :lol:

agent86

No one is saying that these urban myths are ruining their lives or anything just that they're annoying and bug them. There's a big difference.

You say "there's a big difference", but you're including something in the comparison that I never said (i.e. When did I state that people are "saying that these urban myths are ruining their lives"?). You're basically quoting me as making an argument that I didn't make.

My point was to comment on the fact that people are annoyed and/or bugged by them. So there is no "difference" at all in what we are talking about. I just find it silly and ridiculous that people are even bugged or annoyed by them. Read people's comments. Things like:

"that one totally gets me angry"
"I can't stand that one"
"most grating urban legend"
"I've gotten into a million arguments"
"such a pesky rumor"
"drive me nuts"
"an urban legend. And incorrect. And annoying."

These really get to some people in a big way. I thought the point of this thread was to "have fun" with them. I was simply pointing out that I think a lot of people don't think of these as "fun". But life is too short to get annoyed or bugged by such things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom