Least Favorite Urban Legend (Have Fun)

RiversideBunny

As a matter of fact you have no right to shoot someone in your own home unless they are physically threatening you with a weapon. Even if they are walking out with your television and money you aren't allowed to shoot them.

Move to Texas.

Horse thieves, in particular, are usually shot on site.

:animwink:

Eyorefan

For one a company can not dictate anything to a paramedic. It has nothing to do with liability as you'd still be liable if it was your fault despite where they were declared. This is just like the urban legend that really drives me nuts: If you shoot someone on your property just drag them into your house and you won't be liable. Absolutely NOT true. As a matter of fact you have no right to shoot someone in your own home unless they are physically threatening you with a weapon. Even if they are walking out with your television and money you aren't allowed to shoot them.

You obviously aren't from Texas. I think you could probably shot someone for ringing your doorbell in a threating manner. :rolleyes:
Seriously though, I know for a fact that in Texas that if a robber is running out of your house you can chase them down a sidewalk, shoot them in the back and not be charged with a crime.

JML42691

Not really sure that it would go down as a legend, but my least favorite has to be the "Disney is opening a 5th Gate," and the weekly thread about it. Sure, they will do it sometime, but sometime could even be 30-40 years from now.

sarabi

Originally Posted by Pumbas Nakasak
That if you look at the floor near the entrance you will see the haunted mansion brides ring.

I am always so amused by you, Pumbas, but I have to disagree on this one. A cast member actually showed it to me at MNSSHP. Though, without saying too much by way of spoiler, it does require some stretch of the imagination. Is that what you mean when you call it an urban legend? It is there... it's just not what is expected.

Phonedave

For one a company can not dictate anything to a paramedic. It has nothing to do with liability as you'd still be liable if it was your fault despite where they were declared. This is just like the urban legend that really drives me nuts: If you shoot someone on your property just drag them into your house and you won't be liable. Absolutely NOT true. As a matter of fact you have no right to shoot someone in your own home unless they are physically threatening you with a weapon. Even if they are walking out with your television and money you aren't allowed to shoot them.

Actualy it is more strigent that that around here. You have to beleve your life is in danger (as you said ) AND you cannot have a means of escape. If you are in your kitchen by the back door, then you have a way out, and even if you believe they are violent people, you have a way out. Also, if they try to run, you cannot plug them in the back.

-dave

Buried20KLeague

[/i]

I am always so amused by you, Pumbas, but I have to disagree on this one. A cast member actually showed it to me at MNSSHP. Though, without saying too much by way of spoiler, it does require some stretch of the imagination. Is that what you mean when you call it an urban legend? It is there... it's just not what is expected.

The urban legend is that that piece of metal in the ground was intended by design to be the bride's wedding ring. It wasn't, isn't, and never will be. It was part of a gate that's long been removed. Cast members and other fanboy types made up the ring story. They even went so far as to uncover it once a couple years ago when it got a little patch of concrete put over it.

That's why it's an urban legend, and incorrect. And annoying. :lol:

Thankfully the whole thing was finally put to bed when it was completely removed during the last huge refurb of the HM. Nothing left to debate.

Timmay

The urban legend is that that piece of metal in the ground was intended by design to be the bride's wedding ring. It wasn't, isn't, and never will be. It was part of a gate that's long been removed. Cast members and other fanboy types made up the ring story. They even went so far as to uncover it once a couple years ago when it got a little patch of concrete put over it.

That's why it's an urban legend, and incorrect. And annoying. :lol:

Most annoying of all were the people that still insisted it was a wedding ring and part of the back story of HM even after it was proven the "ring" was only a latch mechanism for a gate.:brick:

TigerLily_CM

There are a million college program urban legends that drive me nuts. Everyone who was a part of any program swears that there was a whole building that got busted for prositution and that they witnessed a Hong Kong hot tub orgy during their program. It's amazing to me that these events seemed to happen at least once every year between about 1994 and 2008. Oddly enough I did two college programs and never saw either, guess it was a fluke.

i heard that one, too. I was told it happened the year before I got there which would have been 1995 and a friend who worked there said she heard it was the year before she got there which would have been 1990 :shrug:

I also heard that Vista Way was in a medical study for the highest rate of sexually transmitted diseases in one complex...of course no on e has actually read the study...just heard from a friends friend :rolleyes:

Katherine

Most annoying of all were the people that still insisted it was a wedding ring and part of the back story of HM even after it was proven the "ring" was only a latch mechanism for a gate.:brick:

Even though it's not true... it's probably the best unintentional show piece.

No legends are coming to mind at the moment so I'll leave it at that.

TigerLily_CM

You obviously aren't from Texas. I think you could probably shot someone for ringing your doorbell in a threating manner. :rolleyes:
Seriously though, I know for a fact that in Texas that if a robber is running out of your house you can chase them down a sidewalk, shoot them in the back and not be charged with a crime.

Sounds like you're referring to the "Castle Doctrine" aka the "Make my Day" law but you have to realize that one (sometimes more) of a variety of conditions must be met before a person can legally use the Castle Doctrine:
  • An intruder must be making (or have made) an attempt to forcibly enter a premises uninvited
  • The intruder must be acting illegally -- e.g. the Castle Doctrine does not give the right to shoot officers of the law acting in the course of their legal duties
  • The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to inflict serious bodily harm, or death, upon an occupant of the home
  • The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to commit some other felony, such as arson or burglary
  • The occupant(s) of the home must not have provoked or instigated an intrusion, or provoked or instigated an intruder to threaten or use deadly force
In all cases, the occupant(s) of the home must be there legally, must not be fugitives from the law, must not be using the Castle Doctrine to aid or abet another person in being a fugitive from the law, and must not use deadly force upon an officer of the law or an officer of the peace while they are performing or attempting to perform their legal duties.

Texas also has a "Stand your ground" clause which expressly relieves the home's occupants of any duty to retreat or announce their intent to use deadly force before they can be legally justified in doing so to defend themselves

I studied this a bit during a research project of Canadian vs US gun laws and I'm sure most people from Texas don't think twice about the law since it has kind of always been there but this girl up in Canada was SHOCKED :eek: I guess that's where the "shoot first ask questions later" rep came from :lol:

Sorry for the long thread but I figured I'd cut all those (that can't be true!) posts off at the pass...now my experience of a home break in happened when i was 13...a man came into our house, ate all the KFC in the fridge and passed out next to our pool...we recognized him so we called his dad(who was a cop) to come get him :lol: (no shots were fired):lookaroun

Jerm

I've been there. It's actually quite hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for. He's entombed with his wife Lillian in a brick wall behind some trees/bushes, from what I recall. I visited him in 2005.

They actually cut back the area and it looks really nice now. I was just out there a few weeks ago. They added some nice flowers and cleaned it up very nice.

RiversideBunny

...a man came into our house, ate all the KFC in the fridge and passed out next to our pool...

In Canada?
You would think that he would eat the doughnuts and drink the beer and then fall asleep during a hockey game.

Sorry - I have 'Strange Brew' on DVD.
Go McKenzie brothers !

Actually my big dream, when I win the lottery, and after I then go to WDW and stay at the Grand Floridian in a concierge room, is to go to Banff and stay at the Banff Springs Lodge.

:):)

Eyorefan

Sounds like you're referring to the "Castle Doctrine" aka the "Make my Day" law but you have to realize that one (sometimes more) of a variety of conditions must be met before a person can legally use the Castle Doctrine:
  • An intruder must be making (or have made) an attempt to forcibly enter a premises uninvited
  • The intruder must be acting illegally -- e.g. the Castle Doctrine does not give the right to shoot officers of the law acting in the course of their legal duties
  • The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to inflict serious bodily harm, or death, upon an occupant of the home
  • The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe that the intruder intends to commit some other felony, such as arson or burglary
  • The occupant(s) of the home must not have provoked or instigated an intrusion, or provoked or instigated an intruder to threaten or use deadly force
In all cases, the occupant(s) of the home must be there legally, must not be fugitives from the law, must not be using the Castle Doctrine to aid or abet another person in being a fugitive from the law, and must not use deadly force upon an officer of the law or an officer of the peace while they are performing or attempting to perform their legal duties.

Texas also has a "Stand your ground" clause which expressly relieves the home's occupants of any duty to retreat or announce their intent to use deadly force before they can be legally justified in doing so to defend themselves

I studied this a bit during a research project of Canadian vs US gun laws and I'm sure most people from Texas don't think twice about the law since it has kind of always been there but this girl up in Canada was SHOCKED :eek: I guess that's where the "shoot first ask questions later" rep came from :lol:

Sorry for the long thread but I figured I'd cut all those (that can't be true!) posts off at the pass...now my experience of a home break in happened when i was 13...a man came into our house, ate all the KFC in the fridge and passed out next to our pool...we recognized him so we called his dad(who was a cop) to come get him :lol: (no shots were fired):lookaroun

The law that allows you to shot someone as the flee your property was only passed a few years ago. In fact, the first case where a homeowner shot an unarmed robber in the back as he ran away with nothing in his hands made big news when the DA refused to charge the homeowner with murder, sighting the new law.

Okay end of thread drift! :lol:

Elonwy

The law that allows you to shot someone as the flee your property was only passed a few years ago. In fact, the first case where a homeowner shot an unarmed robber in the back as he ran away with nothing in his hands made big news when the DA refused to charge the homeowner with murder, sighting the new law.

Okay end of thread drift! :lol:

I guess the old "flaming bag of dog ________" thing doesn't end well in texas :ROFLOL:

sublimesting

Actualy it is more strigent that that around here. You have to beleve your life is in danger (as you said ) AND you cannot have a means of escape. If you are in your kitchen by the back door, then you have a way out, and even if you believe they are violent people, you have a way out. Also, if they try to run, you cannot plug them in the back.

-dave

That's how it is in the rest of the country. Actually Texns are abusing their law, and it wasn't intended to gun down someone from behind as they flee your front porch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom