Latest look at the Beauty and the Beast area construction in the new Fantasyland

Prototype82

is it just me or is the castle missing some details and structures? :shrug: Maybe they will add some of the things later. Look at this picture of it in the movie...
castle.jpg

Now look at one of the pictures of the castle from the link...
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Fantasyland/News/09Apr2011-PHOTOS---Beast's-Castle-rises-in-the-new-Fantasyland-expansion.htm
Keep in mind, it's a theme park version. Compare pictures of Hogwarts from the Harry Potter films 3-6 compared to the Wizarding World's. Scaling and simplifying are going to take place. Some elements might be changed or excluded. It's going to be a faithful representation. Just wait 'til they add that final tower on top. It'll look like the real thing. :)

ob1thx1138

Keep in mind, it's a theme park version. Compare pictures of Hogwarts from the Harry Potter films 3-6 compared to the Wizarding World's. Scaling and simplifying are going to take place. Some elements might be changed or excluded. It's going to be a faithful representation. Just wait 'til they add that final tower on top. It'll look like the real thing. :)

Actually I think the Disney Land Paris, the concept art on the wall and the castle as it sits now are all more visually interesting than the image from the film that was posted.

RSoxNo1

I enjoy reading his site, but I think a lot of it boils down to the fact that he gets a lot of information that is blue sky and takes it and runs with it as fact before it is even green-lighted.

That's a fair criticism. When I started listening to/reading it was a game to determine what he was judging as blue sky vs. green lit. This is part of the reason why I set up the Rumors thread with Blue/Red/Green classifications.

I know I'm one of the few Jim Hill apologists on this site, but he has excellent sources and doesn't simply make stuff up as others have speculated. We had him on our show this week and he mentioned a few things that differ from what others on here have said, namely about World of Color. I'm paraphrasing, but this is what he said, "It won't fit in the Animal Kingdom, so down the road it will be replacing Fantasmic, but that's 5+ years away."

mrksmpsn

Perception of Perspective

I am anxious to see the New Fantasyland open and look forward to all of the attractions and new opportunities Disney is planning for us to have fun there. As we see photos and illustrations of the size and perspectives of the buildings going up, it is going to be interesting to see if the finished product feels "heavy." By this I mean will all of the large forced scale structures so close together only make you feel like you are packed into a small space instead of in a larger open area?

I am not sure how to describe this, and its not intended as a complaint about what is coming. I'm just wondering if one's perception of space in the New Fantasyland will feel sort of oppressed and packed. (Kind of like the heavy feeling some report about walking between the tombstones in the front of Epcot, until you realize they are hollow and not solid granite.)

DrummerAlly

The progress they made quickly was incredible. We were there on April 5 and I didn't see any sign of Beast's Castle outside of the steel work. Wow.

On a side note, I went to Universal and I just don't think WDW can make anything that compares to Harry Potter and Hogsmead. On the other hand, the rest of universal was disorganized chaos to the point where I won't be going back.

Rob562

My question is: Why is one of the windows missing?

Most likely it's for access during installation. When they craned it in, they needed to be able to access the bolt-down points inside the structure. Not big enough for a person, but big enough for an arm.

-Rob

JustInTime

Gotta say it is already looking better. it seems like a couple of details have been added since yesterday...but it seems like the castle is missing a couple of towers based on the concept art. And without the extra height, it looks kinda squatty. I hope they add the taller tower that is suppose to be there. And perhaps add a real roof to it as well. It is very much a work in progress but right now it looks like a high school project.

Has most of this work been going on during the day or overnight? I could picture myself parked on my balcony at BLT with binoculars into the wee hours to watch.

If it's daytime, what's the noise like over by that area now?

jt04

Has most of this work been going on during the day or overnight? I could picture myself parked on my balcony at BLT with binoculars into the wee hours to watch.

Perhaps they don't want any pics of people with the structure that would forever taint the illusion. I once saw a worker emerge from a door about half way up the castle and it is rather amazing how small the upper 'floors' actually are.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Is it possible that Disney could move the BatB show from HS to the Fantasyland expansion part? Perhaps located somewhere in the Castle depending on how big it is?

RAXIP

Based on this photo, yes during the daytime.

And this tweet too
@BenTollin
"OMG OMG OMG! THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING ON BEAST'S CASTLE ALL DAY TODAY AND ITS ABOUT 75% BUILT! IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!! AHHH THIS IS SO EXCITING!"

Is it possible that Disney could move the BatB show from HS to the Fantasyland expansion part? Perhaps located somewhere in the Castle depending on how big it is?
Not likely, since the building is designed specifically to hold the Be Our Guest restaurant.

Perhaps they don't want any pics of people with the structure that would forever taint the illusion. I once saw a worker emerge from a door about half way up the castle and it is rather amazing how small the upper 'floors' actually are.

Well there was that youtube link to video posted earlier - a bird flies seemingly just behind the castle. Funny how quickly the illusion of the forced perspective became confused - the castle really is quite small! That said, from what you I have seen so far from the different photos, the illusion will be pulled off beautifully.

KRAKENvsMANTA

Maybe I'm a little confused, but what, if anything is going into Beast's castle? I heard a restaraunt is supposed to be there. But based on the size of the thing, I don't see how. It looks quite small. Or is the castle just one big prop? It's coming along quick now, and looks good. But still not as good as Hogwart's. I still don't see the new Fantasyland surpassing the Wizarding World based on shear theme.

The Duck

Maybe I'm a little confused, but what, if anything is going into Beast's castle? I heard a restaraunt is supposed to be there. But based on the size of the thing, I don't see how. It looks quite small. Or is the castle just one big prop? It's coming along quick now, and looks good. But still not as good as Hogwart's. I still don't see the new Fantasyland surpassing the Wizarding World based on shear theme.

Beast's "Castle" is just a forced-perspective facade on top of forced-perspective hill. This is just to give the illusion of a large castle in the distance while the structure is really quite small (consider the Eiffel Tower in Epcot's France). The Be Our Guest restuarant is going to be in the near vicinity and it will give the illusion that you're "inside" the castle.

ob1thx1138

Beast's "Castle" is just a forced-perspective facade on top of forced-perspective hill. This is just to give the illusion of a large castle in the distance while the structure is really quite small (consider the Eiffel Tower in Epcot's France). The Be Our Guest restuarant is going to be in the near vicinity and it will give the illusion that you're "inside" the castle.

The castle is on the roof of the Be Our Guest Restaurant. So in a sense you will be the in very large basement of the very small castle. lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom