Last Year For Fantasmic?

RSoxNo1

A loss? No way.... have you heard the launch? The announcement screams 3...2...1..., the tracks shake and people are screaming.

That is a huge distraction

I'm not suggesting that they run the coaster during the show. I'm saying that it was cool riding the coaster at night.

pax_65

If they keep Fantasmic, they should at least update it to remove all (or at least most) of the obscure characters from films like Pocohontas which were new releases when the show was created but are unknown to most children today.

JustInTime

If they keep Fantasmic, they should at least update it to remove all (or at least most) of the obscure characters from films like Pocohontas which were new releases when the show was created but are unknown to most children today.

NO WAY! One of the most special things about Fantasmic is the wide variety of movies and characters that are represented in the show! You get to see characters you can't see anywhere else in the parks. Plus, I think Pocahontas is just as well known as any of the other older classics. I think the kinds of updates needed to the show are not character updates. I think we need updates to the technology that is used. We could use a new Dragon, water features with better projection and perhaps even a talking Mickey.

_Scar

P.S, you can't be "above" WoC, that destroys the illusion, so the amphitheater wouldn't work.

It also SEVERELY limits the children's views. I can't even imagine how many adults, probably right now as we speak, are fending off children to get a better view for themselves. They really didn't think of everyone when setting up this show, and maybe if another WoC is created then they can capitalize on this mistake and have you be "above" :lol:

NO WAY! One of the most special things about Fantasmic is the wide variety of movies and characters that are represented in the show! You get to see characters you can't see anywhere else in the parks. Plus, I think Pocahontas is just as well known as any of the other older classics. I think the kinds of updates needed to the show are not character updates. I think we need updates to the technology that is used. We could use a new Dragon, water features with better projection and perhaps even a talking Mickey.

I totally agree. TBQH, I had no idea who Maleficent was from before I became hooked wit anything Disney. I thought it was just... well... a dragon. A random dragon made up of all the villains. I knew Pocahontas however :lol:

TP2000

Interesting quote from Steve Davision at D23 that applies to this discussion;

While they may both be nighttime extravaganzas on the water, don't compare World of Color to Fantasmic! "They are just two different worlds," says World of Color creator Steve Davison. "World of Color is triple the size of Fantasmic! It's a massive show compared to Fantasmic! We both project on water, but we wanted to do different things with it — multi-plane effects. To go digital in ways that are ever-flexible. And we didn't want any performers [in World of Color] because the minute you put any performer in that water, you have this massive surface and this tiny, little person. People have asked if Mickey was going to bring in the show and conduct and I have said, 'You will never see Mickey.'"

So, there you go. If World of Color arrives at WDW, it's going to need a much, much larger venue than the Fantasmic! arena is or ever could be.

Bay Lake, anyone?

MarkTwain

So, there you go. If World of Color arrives at WDW, it's going to need a much, much larger venue than the Fantasmic! arena is or ever could be.

Bay Lake, anyone?

I don't think we'll ever see WoC at any place in WDW that you don't have to pay to get in, meaning no Bay Lake, 7 Seas Lagoon or Downtown Disney. The show cost north of $100,000,000 to install at DCA, and Disney's not gonna get that money back if guests can see it for free.

If WoC were to ever to come to WDW, the only place I could see it actually happening would be Animal Kingdom, seeing the park's already existing water features and desperate need for some nighttime entertainment. But I wouldn't even bet on that... I'm thinking this show's going to stay exclusive to DCA for quite a while.

Next Big Thing

I don't think we'll ever see WoC at any place in WDW that you don't have to pay to get in, meaning no Bay Lake, 7 Seas Lagoon or Downtown Disney. The show cost north of $100,000,000 to install at DCA, and Disney's not gonna get that money back if guests can see it for free.

If WoC were to ever to come to WDW, the only place I could see it actually happening would be Animal Kingdom, seeing the park's already existing water features and desperate need for some nighttime entertainment. But I wouldn't even bet on that... I'm thinking this show's going to stay exclusive to DCA for quite a while.
Well, technically Bay lake and 7 seas lagoon are beyond the MK gates so if they were going to put it in any of the locations, they would make the most sense. Even with those two locations being beyond the MK gates though, they're still many ways to get back there w/o paying if you tried so that really wouldn't work. So I honestly doubt that a WoC type show would go anywhere except in a park. I'm hoping that they will eventually use the WoC tech to bring a new show to AK, but who knows what will happen.

pax_65

I think Pocahontas is just as well known as any of the other older classics.

I disagree. First, I wouldn't call Pocahontas a classic. Once The Little Mermaid, The Lion King and Beauty & The Beast opened up the floodgates of Disney animation in the 90s, we had a decade of so-so films more or less in a row: Pocohontas, Hunchback, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Lilo & Stitch, Brother Bear.

Of all these films, Stitch is (for better or worse) the best known character. Second are the "pseudo-princesses" of Pocohontas and Mulan. Tarzan, Hunchback, Lilo would be recognized by most Disney fans. The rest of these characters are known only to the most serious Disney trivia buffs.

In particular, the villains of these movies are fairly obscure - to the point that I, as a somewhat knowledgeable fan of Disney animation, cannot name most of them without looking them up.

That doesn't mean the characters can't appear in attractions (after all, Splash Mountain is based on a very obscure film and works brilliantly) but Fantasmic has a "Best of Disney" feel to it, Disney's classic heroes and villains fighting it out... and I just don't feel that any characters of Pocohontas (aside perhaps from Pocohontas herself) are up to that level.

And aside from Mickey himself, the Pocohontas characters get more stage time than perhaps anyone else in Fantasmic, which just doesn't seem right.

_Scar

Interesting quote from Steve Davision at D23 that applies to this discussion;

While they may both be nighttime extravaganzas on the water, don't compare World of Color to Fantasmic! "They are just two different worlds," says World of Color creator Steve Davison. "World of Color is triple the size of Fantasmic! It's a massive show compared to Fantasmic! We both project on water, but we wanted to do different things with it — multi-plane effects. To go digital in ways that are ever-flexible. And we didn't want any performers [in World of Color] because the minute you put any performer in that water, you have this massive surface and this tiny, little person. People have asked if Mickey was going to bring in the show and conduct and I have said, 'You will never see Mickey.'"

Bay Lake, anyone?

I think WDI could manage if really needed.

Bing Maps shows that the area that F! at DHS occupies is a bit more than 2 times as small, not sure I would say 3 times at small. Didn't they completely move the threater of stars? And divert a canal and kill the backlot tour with LMA? DHS is drastic :lol:

DAK seems like a more possibility though, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. :shrug:

Evil Genius

I think WDI could manage if really needed.

Bing Maps shows that the area that F! at DHS occupies is a bit more than 2 times as small, not sure I would say 3 times at small. Didn't they completely move the threater of stars? And divert a canal and kill the backlot tour with LMA? DHS is drastic :lol:

DAK seems like a more possibility though, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. :shrug:

As I've read elsewhere, the waterways of DAK won't work due to the fact that they are stocked with aquatic wildlife that swim throughout the park's river system. Yes they could change this, but the nature of the park being what it is I highly doubt it would happen.

dxwwf3

Again I hope they bring this type of show to AK, NOT the exact same show. WoC would not fit in the theme of AK. I wouldn't be surprised if they did clone the exact same show because it would be cheaper, but a new animal themed or Disney animated animal themed show would be great.

imagineer boy

Again I hope they bring this type of show to AK, NOT the exact same show. WoC would not fit in the theme of AK. I wouldn't be surprised if they did clone the exact same show because it would be cheaper, but a new animal themed or Disney animated animal themed show would be great.

Agreed. They could bring all the same show elements to AK, but give it an entirely different theme. I mentioned before in this thread, perhaps they could theme it to the "Firebird" segment from Fantasia 2000 which would work perfectly. And they already use some footage of it in the show at DCA.

stevemorriswdw

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=28.418896,-81.581256&amp;spn=0.002854,0.003503&amp;z=18&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=28.418896,-81.581256&amp;spn=0.002854,0.003503&amp;z=18&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small> <------- copy paste into address bar and look at the water

Like I said again how about put some sort of sprinklers in the water thats in front of the castle and the water that surrounds the castle. They can incorporate these sprinklers with the firework show they have at night.

drew81

There is some validity to the rumor of Fantasmic closing. Again, nothing is set in stone yet but I have heard rumors of Fant's demise.

TP2000

There is some validity to the rumor of Fantasmic closing. Again, nothing is set in stone yet but I have heard rumors of Fant's demise.

That just makes no sense, unless they would be closing it for a year to give it the major remodel and upgrades it so desperately needs at WDW.

Disneyland just spent 3 years on a multi-phase plan to dramatically improve and upgrade the technology used to present the show, in addition to adding new floats and features and stage elements. The Disneyland version has never sparkled as brightly as it does now, and it performs nightly, usually twice per night, seven days per week. On busy nights they add a third showing.

Tokyo Disneyland is adding a brand new version of the show to DisneySea's lagoon, using World of Color technology and new spins on the 1990's basic plot of Fantasmic!. The new Tokyo version of Fantasmic! opens next spring as part of the 10th Anniversary of Tokyo DisneySea.

And amid all of this, WDW is considering cancelling the show entirely??? :confused:

_Scar

That just makes no sense, unless they would be closing it for a year to give it the major remodel and upgrades it so desperately needs at WDW.

Disneyland just spent 3 years on a multi-phase plan to dramatically improve and upgrade the technology used to present the show, in addition to adding new floats and features and stage elements. The Disneyland version has never sparkled as brightly as it does now, and it performs nightly, usually twice per night, seven days per week. On busy nights they add a third showing.

Tokyo Disneyland is adding a brand new version of the show to DisneySea's lagoon, using World of Color technology and new spins on the 1990's basic plot of Fantasmic!. The new Tokyo version of Fantasmic! opens next spring as part of the 10th Anniversary of Tokyo DisneySea.

And amid all of this, WDW is considering cancelling the show entirely??? :confused:

The show costs a lot and is over a decade old.

Disney shows can't last forever. :shrug:

I'd love to finally see Sorcery in the Sky. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom