Last Year For Fantasmic?

_Scar

one of the main features of WoC is the 400-ft long projection surface. If you shorten that you lose the wide/panoramic aspect of the show.. The show is not only big, but it's also very wide. I think it would look a bit odd if you squished the platform to fit into the heart-shape of the DHS stadium. Kinda hard to explain, but basically you won't see any real benefit from stretching the platform vertically - a water show like this works better in a wide horizontal shape.

In addition to the planter fountains, also missing would be the Fun Wheel lighting and globe lamps in the viewing area (both interact with the show). I think the money would be better spent in updating Fantasmic (F! at DL just received brand new full-color lasers), with WoC going to another park.

Are we looking at the same picture? It seems more than plausible that it could fit in the venue- especially with the skills WDI has. Maybe we'll even get the proper version of World of Color: the director's cut! :lol:

I've also seen WoC, on Youtube, and I didn't really think the Fun Wheel added anything to the show. Sure, it lit up here and there but ultimately I found it to be a bit of a distraction.

And dang, Anaheim-ians must really love seeing F! over and over again. I sure couldn't do it :lookaroun:lol:

sponono88

Are we looking at the same picture? It seems more than plausible that it could fit in the venue- especially with the skills WDI has. Maybe we'll even get the proper version of World of Color: the director's cut! :lol:

I've also seen WoC, on Youtube, and I didn't really think the Fun Wheel added anything to the show. Sure, it lit up here and there but ultimately I found it to be a bit of a distraction.

The Fun Wheel isn't a major part of the show, but it does add a bit of lighting to the intro/finale , "stars" for A Whole New World, bursts of color, etc. It acts the same way the castle at DL does for the fireworks, it compliments the show with additional lighting.

I think the reason Fantasmic works in the DHS amphitheater is because it features an actual stage, with the mountain working as a backdrop for the show. If you remove the island you'll have the platform floating in the middle of nowhere with no real backdrop. At DCA, the show takes place in the middle of the park (similar to Illuminations in World Showcase).

And dang, Anaheim-ians must really love seeing F! over and over again. I sure couldn't do it :lookaroun:lol:

yep, 18 years and still going strong. I guess it's a good thing they update the show constantly ;)

_Scar

The Fun Wheel isn't a major part of the show, but it does add a bit of lighting to the intro/finale , "stars" for A Whole New World, bursts of color, etc. It acts the same way the castle at DL does for the fireworks, it compliments the show with additional lighting.

I think the reason Fantasmic works in the DHS amphitheater is because it features an actual stage, with the mountain working as a backdrop for the show. If you remove the island, you'll have the platform floating in the middle of nowhere with no real backdrop. At DCA, the show takes place in the middle of the park (similar to Illuminations in World Showcase).

yep, 18 years and still going strong. I guess it's a good thing they update the show constantly ;)

I think DHS' F! stopped working a few years ago :lookaroun Maybe just tear it down and start over? Add more seating capacity too.

And seriously, Californians must have a thing for dragons or Peter Pan. :lol:

TP2000

I think DHS' F! stopped working a few years ago :lookaroun Maybe just tear it down and start over? Add more seating capacity too.

And seriously, Californians must have a thing for dragons or Peter Pan. :lol:

I think it will help immensely when you actually visit Disneyland for the first time and see what Fantasmic! is actually supposed to be like, and witness the grand spectacle of World of Color in person.

Maybe a good analogy for people who have only visited WDW would be... Putting a scaled down World of Color into a reconfigured DHS Fantasmic! amphitheater would be like putting a scaled down Illuminations into the DHS Fantasmic! amphitheater. It could technically work by shortening and scaling down a lot of the effects and size of the show, and dramtically changing the angle and distance that the audience experiences it from. But then you'd be left with this artistically questionable show that really didn't do Illuminations or Fantasmic! any good. You'd still have one less night spectacular on property, and you wouldn't have the best version of either.

The only people who win in that scenario are the TDO accountants.

Fantasmic! at DHS seems so tired and corny because it's still stuck in the Bill Clinton 1990's era. It desperately needs the new effects, additional floats, and new technology upgrades that Disneyland has received every year since 2008 in a multi-year and well thought out phased rehab. Do that, and you'll need to play it twice per night seven nights a week like Disneyland to cope with all the happy crowds.

Cheryl

In all our trips down to Disney, Fantasmic has been a standing room only crowd, I've never seen it not crowded. Why would they want to get rid of something that is still so popular? I can see changes being made but to totally get rid of it, I don't think so. I wish it played every night!:wave:

JustInTime

Just to help debunk this thread... I have read on many different sites and on many different posts that Disney has been testing out lots of new effects and changes to the show. They have been super subtle and everything is in the early stages. From what I have read and from want cast members and guests have been saying, the effects have been super awesome and will be building up to something bigger. I know that a couple of posters have even spotted some of the newer effects as well. I did read on another site, (wdwmagic rules them all IMO) one of the new effects is the flames during the Maleficent's dragon scene change colors (orange and green). Also some pyro testing has also been going on. So what is the build up? Who knows. I would like a longer show with more scenes and live characters.

Captain Chaos

Just to help debunk this thread... I have read on many different sites and on many different posts that Disney has been testing out lots of new effects and changes to the show. They have been super subtle and everything is in the early stages. From what I have read and from want cast members and guests have been saying, the effects have been super awesome and will be building up to something bigger. I know that a couple of posters have even spotted some of the newer effects as well. I did read on another site, (wdwmagic rules them all IMO) one of the new effects is the flames during the Maleficent's dragon scene change colors (orange and green). Also some pyro testing has also been going on. So what is the build up? Who knows. I would like a longer show with more scenes and live characters.

I like the sounds of this... hopefully this is a buildup of something new.. The show, while still a favorite of mine, is showing its age... There needs to be some sprucing up... Maybe additions of new scenes, replacing Pocahontas with a different Disney classic... The effects need updating.. Lots of things need updating.. Still love the music though...

Magenta Panther

In all our trips down to Disney, Fantasmic has been a standing room only crowd, I've never seen it not crowded. Why would they want to get rid of something that is still so popular? I can see changes being made but to totally get rid of it, I don't think so. I wish it played every night!:wave:

I agree with you. I love Fantasmic! It's one of the best showcases for the old-time Disney magic. Only Mickey's Philharmagic comes close. And for that reason I've always gotten the Brown Derby/Fantasmic deal with my meal plans. The two make for a truly magical evening. :)

jt04

I like the sounds of this... hopefully this is a buildup of something new.. The show, while still a favorite of mine, is showing its age... There needs to be some sprucing up... Maybe additions of new scenes, replacing Pocahontas with a different Disney classic... The effects need updating.. Lots of things need updating.. Still love the music though...

Nah, they need to install WoC. It is the perfect venue for it and the symmetry of the "stage" compared to the oddly shaped DCA show would make the show even more amazing.

It is an obvious choice for DHS.

JustInTime

Nah, they need to install WoC. It is the perfect venue for it and the symmetry of the "stage" compared to the oddly shaped DCA show would make the show even more amazing.

With all the new effect testing, I doubt we will be getting it anytime soon. Plus, Fantasmic is such a classic now, i'd hate to see it go. I am fine with WOC being DCA exclusive and F! just being fixed up and updated.

Buried20KLeague

Totally agree.

Plus, I think they could do quite a bit with the fact that the crowd sits up so much higher at DHS than they do at DCA.

People saying it couldn't work there makes no sense; they tweak both shows and rides all the time to make them fit within different footprints. They did it with ToT (though not related to footprint, it's still a changed experience), Buzz, Space, Splash, BTM, etc, etc... Heck, they even did it with F!.

jt04

Totally agree.

Plus, I think they could do quite a bit with the fact that the crowd sits up so much higher at DHS than they do at DCA.

People saying it couldn't work there makes no sense; they tweak both shows and rides all the time to make them fit within different footprints. They did it with ToT (though not related to footprint, it's still a changed experience), Buzz, Space, Splash, BTM, etc, etc... Heck, they even did it with F!.

Exactly. I don't even think they would need to install them on floating platforms at DHS. They could affix them solidly to the earth and raise and lower the water level for maintenance. It could be an utterly amazing show. Agree also that the crowd views would be much better and enable more subtle effects.

Bork Bork

But would a mini-WoC really be anything to see? The "aircraft carrier" from DCA certainly wouldn't fit.

jt04

But would a mini-WoC really be anything to see? The "aircraft carrier" from DCA certainly wouldn't fit.

Glad you asked. Somebody did a photoshop and put the DCA platfom over the DHS 'stage'. By removing the island the square footage is almost exactly the same.

Plus the DHS area has a symmetry that I think Imagineering would ust to great advantage.

The problem could be that DHS just isn't ready for the crowds it would draw.......yet.

Testtrack321

Glad you asked. Somebody did a photoshop and put the DCA platfom over the DHS 'stage'. By removing the island the square footage is almost exactly the same.

And if you mean exactly the same you mean not at all, I agree.

WoC isn't just the stage. It's way more complex. If you want to see WoC in DHS the whole amphitheater will need to be torn out, backstage areas moved around and additional power and water utilities.

We're spoiled by Illuminations. They can modify the floats and add new effects and make it look easy. Tearing out the mountain/stage and putting in some jets will make for a horrible show, lack any sense of scale with no backdrop, and be a huge mistake.

Mansion Butler

It's highly unlikely that a CM would have this knowledge and it not have leaked out. It would seem more likely that it would receive updates like Disneyland.
Depends on your level, but as a (currently seasonal but usually full time) CM, this is correct. Fact is, even the first couple levels of management don't know of such things until they're pretty close to public. As far as the day-to-day of our specific areas of work, we know more than you (no offense), but as far as big company changes and directions, as well as often history and reasonings, we know as much as y'all if not less. We are not good sources, we're usually just espousing rumors.

Now I'm going to read the rest of this topic and see if this PSA is out of place. :ROFLOL:

jt04

And if you mean exactly the same you mean not at all, I agree.

WoC isn't just the stage. It's way more complex. If you want to see WoC in DHS the whole amphitheater will need to be torn out, backstage areas moved around and additional power and water utilities.

We're spoiled by Illuminations. They can modify the floats and add new effects and make it look easy. Tearing out the mountain/stage and putting in some jets will make for a horrible show, lack any sense of scale with no backdrop, and be a huge mistake.

A backdrop could be added rather easily. If WoC was added to an existing theme park with limited backstage access then it could certainly be added to DHS which has quite a bit of backstage access. I watched the construction of WoC on-line on a near daily basis and understand quite well the infastructure involved. It could be done but the price tag would be about the same and although they would have the additional cost of removing the island the fact that they would not be doing the construction in the middle of an active theme park would certainly be a big advantage.

And I think the show would be much more enjoyable because of the tiered seating.

TP2000

And I think the show would be much more enjoyable because of the tiered seating.

I think it might help if you actually saw this show in person.

It can't just be the fountain platform reconfigured and squashed into an existing space that is nearly the same "square footage".

The show extends beyond the platform itself, and requires great depth of field. It's just massive. And it also requires you to crane your neck skyward for several portions of the show, and if you are looking down on it from the upper half of an aquacade amphitheater it ruins the scale and scope.

World of Color can't be conveyed accurately in pictures or YouTube or maps. It has to be seen to be believed, and understood.

But if you think they can squash it into the Fantasmic! arena and kill off a perfectly good show that only needs the updates the Disneyland version got for the past three years, then be my guest. But if a tiny place like Disneyland can host two Fantasmic! and three World of Color shows per night within a 15 minute walk of each other, then you would think a huge property like WDW wouldn't have to kill off an existing show to get yet another Disneyland clone. :confused:

jt04

I think it might help if you actually saw this show in person.

It can't just be the fountain platform reconfigured and squashed into an existing space that is nearly the same "square footage".

The show extends beyond the platform itself, and requires great depth of field. It's just massive. And it also requires you to crane your neck skyward for several portions of the show, and if you are looking down on it from the upper half of an aquacade amphitheater it ruins the scale and scope.

World of Color can't be conveyed accurately in pictures or YouTube or maps. It has to be seen to be believed, and understood.

But if you think they can squash it into the Fantasmic! arena and kill off a perfectly good show that only needs the updates the Disneyland version got for the past three years, then be my guest. But if a tiny place like Disneyland can host two Fantasmic! and three World of Color shows per night within a 15 minute walk of each other, then you would think a huge property like WDW wouldn't have to kill off an existing show to get yet another Disneyland clone. :confused:

Where the heck is everyone getting the idea the area at DHS is small.:veryconfu Remove the island and add the areas behind that and I'm pretty sure they have quite a bit more space to work with than DCA had. And the audience area at DCA is probably smaller than the capacity for the Fantasmic show at DHS. Anyone know the capacity of each? I don't mean overflow areas where the show can't properly be seen at DCA.

Ummmmm

http://www.bing.com/maps/?wip=2&v=2...yOC43ODI5MTU2MjUzNzg4JTdlLTk0LjUwMzkyMTUwOA==

TP2000

Where the heck is everyone getting the idea the area at DHS is small.:veryconfu Remove the island and add the areas behind that and I'm pretty sure they have quite a bit more space to work with than DCA had. And the audience area at DCA is probably smaller than the capacity for the Fantasmic show at DHS. Anyone know the capacity of each? I don't mean overflow areas where the show can't properly be seen at DCA.

Ummmmm

http://www.bing.com/maps/?wip=2&v=2...yOC43ODI5MTU2MjUzNzg4JTdlLTk0LjUwMzkyMTUwOA==

You would need to remove the island and expand back into the Backstage area behind the island to get the 400+ feet of depth that World of Color has in DCA's lagoon. To get the 475+ feet of width the show has in DCA you would need to bulldoze the amphitheater in its current form and expand several hundred feet to the south, carving out area from the current waterway and lake that connects to the Swan and Dolphin.

You can't push the boundary north much because Buena Vista Drive is there, unless you are suggesting rerouting that six lane roadway and pushing it into the surface parking lot for the Swan's convention center.

I don't think anyone has said it is impossible for World of Color to fit into a piece of land attached to DHS. It can't however, fit into the Fantasmic! arena as its currently scaled. But I think what we've said is that it would require major demolition, reconstruction, possible rerouting of major roads, and a great deal of cost over and above the show equipment and infrastructure itself.

And for what? To kill off an existing night spectacular to gain another? Why not go the Disneyland route and keep Fantasmic! where it is, updated it into the 21st century with new tech (which it needed desperately 5 years ago), and then add World of Color to an existing park that doesn't have a big night water show. :)

Hello, Animal Kingdom calling? Please hold while I connect you to Burbank...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom