Last Year For Fantasmic?

aladdin2007

I don't quite like it because it doesn't quite represent the parts of the movie I think of when I think "Pocahontas". There should be Colors of the Wind.

In World of Color, however, Pocahontas has one of if not THE best segment. :lol:

Yeah it does look like a fantastic part of the show. I guess in fantasmic its just more or less the dig dig song/scene.

imagineer boy

The Pocahantas scene doesn't make any sense. Its so weird and confusing!

First you have Ratcliff digging, then it suddenly switches to the Indian chants with the canoes, then it switches back to the digging, then the indians again this time around the fire, then fireballs start flying around for some reason, and John Smith shows up and doesn't do anything, then out of nowhere Grandmother willow shows up, then it just kind of ends. It makes no sense! Its so pointless.

Plus I think they really need to shorten the whole "bubbles" segment. We don't need to see tons of stock footage from Disney movies in mist screen mode.

TP2000

In World of Color, however, Pocahontas has one of if not THE best segment. :lol:

Definitely. I've seen World of Color four times now, and the top three best parts IMO are the Little Mermaid segment, the entire Pocohontas segment, and the Grand Finale'.

They really did Pocohontas right in World of Color, for a movie that has been otherwise forgotten in Disney theme parks.

aladdin2007

speaking of world of color, I know they have released some merch but havent seen a cd in my online search, anyone else? sorry off topic a bit.

_Scar

I think the switching to and fro is done well, and imo understandable, it just is ruined by the sudden ending and the mistscreen willow ().

Pocahontas doesn't even say anything!

>:0

MarkTwain

Pocahontas was put in the show to replace the Peter Pan segment featured in the Disneyland show. The Peter Pan part included a swordfight between Pan and Captain Hook on board the S.S. Columbia, a ship in Disneyland which resembles a pirate ship, and would have been too expensive to rebuild at WDW. So Eisner stepped in and requested a segment be added to tie in to the new Pocahontas movie, so that was put in its place.

The problem with that is that in Disneyland's Fantasmic, the Peter Pan scene works well to balance out the dancing Princesses scene, and helps to appeal to the boys in the audience. That was sort of lost in Pocahontas, which is still more girl-centric IMO. That's why I think in its place they ought to include a Pirates of the Caribbean segment, where the pirates try to take over the island, with lots of swordfighting, rope-swinging, and cannonfire. That would be much more exciting for everyone.

But that's all a moot point if Fantasmic is closing anyway. :rolleyes:

jt04

The show runs, what, two days a week? For all intents and purposes, it is pretty much shut down. I'd love for them to do something new, but we know Disney's love for cloning. That said, I'd love World of Color. It ties in more with the Studios (tribute to Walt's TV show, highlights of Disney and Pixar films) better than California Adventure (what does the show have to do with California or a seaside amusement park?)

Exactly. It's like WoC was designed for the Fantasmic venue at the Studios. It'd be a perfect addition. Perfect.

TP2000

Exactly. It's like WoC was designed for the Fantasmic venue at the Studios. It'd be a perfect addition. Perfect.

Perfect, if you want to see World of Color done in miniature. :D

The World of Color fountain table submerged under water is almost twice as long as the entire Fantasmic! island in DHS, and the fountains for World of Color are as high as the DHS Tower of Terror building.

WoC would fit nicely in World Showcase Lagoon, Bay Lake, or a new custom built lagoon at DAK. There is no room in DHS currently, and repurposing the Fantasmic! arena for it would make the show half its current size at California Adventure. World of Color depends on its epic scale for many scenes to succeed.

Here's a World of Color construction pic from last year, as the 380 foot wide (longer than a football field) fountain platform was being constructed in the 600 foot wide Paradise Bay lagoon. For comparison, the DHS Fantasmic island stage is 200 feet wide and the entire body of water used for DHS Fantasmic! is 310 feet wide.
IMG_1302.jpg

jt04

Perfect, if you want to see World of Color done in miniature. :D

The World of Color fountain table submerged under water is almost twice as long as the entire Fantasmic! island in DHS, and the fountains for World of Color are as high as the DHS Tower of Terror building.

WoC would fit nicely in World Showcase Lagoon, Bay Lake, or a new custom built lagoon at DAK. There is no room in DHS currently, and repurposing the Fantasmic! arena for it would make the show half its current size at California Adventure. World of Color depends on its epic scale for many scenes to succeed.

Here's a World of Color construction pic from last year, as the 380 foot wide (longer than a football field) fountain platform was being constructed in the 600 foot wide Paradise Bay lagoon. For comparison, the DHS Fantasmic island stage is 200 feet wide and the entire body of water used for DHS Fantasmic! is 310 feet wide.
IMG_1302.jpg

I always thought they would remove the island at Fantasmic and shape the platform as required. Perhaps one of our resident photoshoppers will overlay the DCA platform over the Fantasmic area for comparrison sake. My bet is it would work swimmingly.

dxwwf3

I'd love to see a World Showcase themed World of Color-style show come to Epcot. Similar in tone to the original Illuminations, but focused on projections and fountains instead of fireworks.

StitchRox

I always thought they would remove the island at Fantasmic and shape the platform as required. Perhaps one of our resident photoshoppers will overlay the DCA platform over the Fantasmic area for comparrison sake. My bet is it would work swimmingly.
screencapture1n.jpg

This is taken from Google Maps at the same height for each image overlayed on each other to give an idea on the relative size of the two lagoons. If they remove the mountain and stage and reconfigure the platform so that it is a more semi circular platform instead of the scaling of the DCA platform it could be done.

jt04

screencapture1n.jpg

This is taken from Google Maps at the same height for each image overlayed on each other to give an idea on the relative size of the two lagoons. If they remove the mountain and stage and reconfigure the platform so that it is a more semi circular platform instead of the scaling of the DCA platform it could be done.

Wow it's nearly perfect in area. Much better than I would have guessed. Another advantage of the DHS venue is that if or when they remove the island they could change the depth of the lagoon and have the platforms raised and lowered on jacks instead of floats (if the floats are a problem) or even raise and lower the water levels for maintenance purposes. I'm thinking also that the show would function better with the more symmetrical stage of the Fantasmic stadium and the advantages of the lessons learned from the current show.

Do this Disney! it's a no brainer crowd pleasing cash cow of an idea.

PS- thanks for the photoshop!

imagineer boy

I'd love to see a World Showcase themed World of Color-style show come to Epcot. Similar in tone to the original Illuminations, but focused on projections and fountains instead of fireworks.

Eh, to be honest I would just only like a few cool WoC-esque fountains that work during the middle segment. For the most part I want ROE to mostly remain the same.

I thought it was a little off, but that does look nearly identical! Awesome!

:)

I can now def see TDO doing this.

I thought it would be a good fit! Besides, even if it really doesn't fit, they can trim a few founains around the edges and make the proper adjustments.

TP2000

screencapture1n.jpg

Interesting image, thanks for putting it together. But the problem here is just as you mentioned, the "scaling". I think people trying to piece this together without having seen the actual World of Color show and walked around the big Paradise Bay lagoon aren't comprehending why this won't work in the DHS Fantasmic! arena.

That World of Color platform is massive, and extends more than 100 feet past the bleachers of DHS Fantasmic!. It dwarves the Fantasmic! island in both width and length. Even sitting in the very back row of the Fantasmic! bleachers you wouldn't be able to see the entire length of the platform, and thus you wouldn't be able to see the entire length of the show.

Also, don't forget that the digital projectors are placed about 125 feet behind the platform itself in a half dozen separate structures that are themed by day as decorative lighthouses, and then open up at night to reveal the projectors. From LaughingPlace..
P01-0007.jpg

The projectors need to be placed that far behind the platform because they have to project on screens 375 feet wide and 50 feet high. The show requires a massive amount of space for all of the infrastructure aside from the fountain platform itself. There are lighting arrays and special effects in the viewing area itself as well, hundreds of feet away from the platform on the other side of the bay. This stuff is hidden underground in daytime throughout Paradise Park, or in the planters themselves in the case of the dozens of surprise fountains in Paradise Park that explode to life during the show. A bleacher setup is going to require the removal of many of these viewing area surprise elements.

dcafw10_02.jpg

The installation of the landscaping fountains, before they were hidden by shrubs and faux rocks.
031510-dca002-lrg.jpg

If you condensed World of Color into something half it's size at DCA in order to fit into the DHS Fantasmic! facility, I can just hear the screams of horror from people online when they see the difference between the two shows. And if you did shrink World of Color into something half its size, I'm not even sure you could still call it World of Color since the current show requires it's truly epic scale and scope as part of its huge success. :confused:

World of Color is a possibility for World Showcase lagoon, but not for the Fantasmic! arena. For gosh sakes, don't shrink it down and remove viewing area special effects to shoehorn in to someplace it doesn't fit. How about this instead; just bring the DHS Fantasmic! up to 21st century standards and then perform it nightly?

If little, old Disneyland can peform two updated Fantasmic! shows per night and three World of Color shows per night literally within a 10 minute walk of each other, then surely massive Walt Disney World can update Fantasmic! and continue to perform it while still offering other nighttime spectaculars? Why would WDW find that so hard to do, when it's happening tonight and every night at Disneyland? :confused:

Behind the Fantasmic! lagoon sits a backstage area roughly equal in size. WoC does not require the backstage access that Fantasmic! does. I am sure they can easily expand the lagoon to acommodate the show if they wanted to. It is far too early to say they will not put it in the Fantasmic! arena.

sponono88

one of the main features of WoC is the 400-ft long projection surface. If you shorten that you lose the wide/panoramic aspect of the show.. The show is not only big, but it's also very wide. I think it would look a bit odd if you squished the platform to fit into the heart-shape of the DHS stadium. Kinda hard to explain, but basically you won't see any real benefit from stretching the platform vertically - a water show like this works better in a wide horizontal shape.

In addition to the planter fountains, also missing would be the Fun Wheel lighting and globe lamps in the viewing area (both interact with the show). I think the money would be better spent in updating Fantasmic (F! at DL just received brand new full-color lasers), with WoC going to another park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom