Last Year For Fantasmic?

TinkerBell9988

I disagree. First, I wouldn't call Pocahontas a classic. Once The Little Mermaid, The Lion King and Beauty & The Beast opened up the floodgates of Disney animation in the 90s, we had a decade of so-so films more or less in a row: Pocohontas, Hunchback, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Lilo & Stitch, Brother Bear.

I think this is a matter of personal opinion... :shrug:

Personally, I believe that Pocahontas, Hunchback and Mulan are some of the most beautiful films I have ever seen, and all three seem to remain recognizable to the average Disney park-goer.

But to each his own. Or, in my case, her own! :D

DisneyNut2007

I disagree. First, I wouldn't call Pocahontas a classic. Once The Little Mermaid, The Lion King and Beauty & The Beast opened up the floodgates of Disney animation in the 90s, we had a decade of so-so films more or less in a row: Pocohontas, Hunchback, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Lilo & Stitch, Brother Bear.

Of all these films, Stitch is (for better or worse) the best known character. Second are the "pseudo-princesses" of Pocohontas and Mulan. Tarzan, Hunchback, Lilo would be recognized by most Disney fans. The rest of these characters are known only to the most serious Disney trivia buffs.

In particular, the villains of these movies are fairly obscure - to the point that I, as a somewhat knowledgeable fan of Disney animation, cannot name most of them without looking them up.

That doesn't mean the characters can't appear in attractions (after all, Splash Mountain is based on a very obscure film and works brilliantly) but Fantasmic has a "Best of Disney" feel to it, Disney's classic heroes and villains fighting it out... and I just don't feel that any characters of Pocohontas (aside perhaps from Pocohontas herself) are up to that level.

And aside from Mickey himself, the Pocohontas characters get more stage time than perhaps anyone else in Fantasmic, which just doesn't seem right.

Sorry, Pax, but I very strongly disagree with all of your points.

Pocahontas IS a classic. And while Mulan is definetely not a princess, Pocahontas IS one.

TP2000

The show costs a lot and is over a decade old.

Disney shows can't last forever. :shrug:

That seems so defeatist. The Disneyland version just turned 18 years old last month. They spent a fortune updating and plussing it over the last three years. And now there's this amazing new water show, World of Color, that is three times as large and chock full of the latest tech, and World of Color is only a 10 minute stroll away from Fantasmic! and Frontierland.

But Fantasmic! is still there at Disneyland, performing twice per night seven nights per week to packed houses. Why? Because it's a great show that has been polished up in recent years and has never looked better.

WDW management needs to borrow a few pages from the Disneyland management playbook. But having WDW fans willing to offer up excuses like you just did so easily isn't going to help matters. :eek:

munkgirl

That seems so defeatist. The Disneyland version just turned 18 years old last month. They spent a fortune updating and plussing it over the last three years. And now there's this amazing new water show, World of Color, that is three times as large and chock full of the latest tech, and World of Color is only a 10 minute stroll away from Fantasmic! and Frontierland.

But Fantasmic! is still there at Disneyland, performing twice per night seven nights per week to packed houses. Why? Because it's a great show that has been polished up in recent years and has never looked better.

WDW management needs to borrow a few pages from the Disneyland management playbook. But having WDW fans willing to offer up excuses like you just did so easily isn't going to help matters. :eek:

Out of sight, out of mind. All the execs who would actually care about that sort of thing live in CA and see DL every day, while they just get weekly/monthly numbers on a plain sheet of paper as far as WDW is concerned.

drew81

That just makes no sense, unless they would be closing it for a year to give it the major remodel and upgrades it so desperately needs at WDW.

Disneyland just spent 3 years on a multi-phase plan to dramatically improve and upgrade the technology used to present the show, in addition to adding new floats and features and stage elements. The Disneyland version has never sparkled as brightly as it does now, and it performs nightly, usually twice per night, seven days per week. On busy nights they add a third showing.

Tokyo Disneyland is adding a brand new version of the show to DisneySea's lagoon, using World of Color technology and new spins on the 1990's basic plot of Fantasmic!. The new Tokyo version of Fantasmic! opens next spring as part of the 10th Anniversary of Tokyo DisneySea.

And amid all of this, WDW is considering cancelling the show entirely??? :confused:

There are several rumors out there. The reduction of shows and the fact that TDO won't put any real money towards updating it, I do feel the rumor has some validity to it.

_Scar

Some people are kind of tired of seeing Fantasmic. I'll admit I am- Disneyland or not. It has become by far my least favorite nightly show and I know it like the back of my hand which doesn't help either.

You'd think the executives living in the parks would get tired of it too :lol:

And World of Color is great, but that show can update fairly easily and remain fresh. It's such a vague theme that really anything Disney can go into this show that WDI wants. I think they'll be using that to their advantage.

All good things must end- and if you wait too long then you'll eventually see them die on their own. I don't want Fantasmic to- heck, in WDW it has been for years. I want to see it end and becaome a great chapter in WDW history.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Whether we all like the show or not, let's bear in mind the OP:

"Someone that works with DW just came back from the World and said a CM told them that this would be the last season for Fantasmic. Apparently they are bringing in a show from one of the other parks to relpace it."

This is a secondhand rumor of a secondhand rumor......:brick:

BrerFrog

Yeah, and that is the problem with WDW's Fantasmic. Either improve it, or replace it with World of Color. Maybe Disney is waiting to see the public's response to WoC in California before deciding to bring it to Florida. :shrug:

DisneyNut2007

There are several rumors out there. The reduction of shows and the fact that TDO won't put any real money towards updating it, I do feel the rumor has some validity to it.

TDO does not finance everything. A seperate department does that.

Please stop making yourself look foolish, Drew.

If this is true...I hope we DON'T get World of Color...Impressive as it may be, its more along the lines of RoE than Fantasmic. I have only seen the opening night stream of WoC, which I know is nothing close to the real thing, but I think I would prefer for RoE to be upgraded with some of the new tech from WoC than see Fant. replacted with WoC. I agree that our Fant. needs some updating and possibly changes in the show scenes, but I still like it and would be sad to see it go without another show like it taking its place...

vxangelkissxv

It's pretty safe to say that there are SOME shows at DHS that are on their way out. However, Fantasmic! is too big a draw to shut down, without having some sort of immediate replacement in the works.

Not that Disney doesn't have something secret (for now) planned, but it's pretty much fact that without Fantasmic!, the Studios' nighttime numbers would plummet. And that's not something DHS exec's want very much.

Also, I'd like to disagree with whoever said that having it show twice a week is it being "pretty much shut down." I think most DHS cast members would disagree with that statement. In the slower times a year, it's usually down to two or three nights a week. During the busy holiday season, there was a solid month of Fantasmic! every night, sometimes three shows a night. And during this busy Summer Nighttastic season, expect Fant! three to four times a week.

Now, I've heard rumors about OTHER shows at DHS (and no, Epic wasn't one of them) heading for the chopping block in the near future… But nixing Fantasmic!? Not going to happen any time soon-- at least, not within the next year.

I wish people would learn not to put stock in cast member rumors. Most cast members are misinformed about their goings-on in their own park, anyway. I had to put up with a solid month of "Miley Coaster" rumors while that RnRC guitar was under refurb. The sad truth is that most cast members don't know anything about the Company, let alone their park.

DisneyParksFan

the Studios' nighttime numbers would plummet. And that's not something DHS exec's want very much.

Which can be seen on nights when there is no Fantasmic! The park begins to empty after 3pm.

Also, I'd like to disagree with whoever said that having it show twice a week is it being "pretty much shut down." I think most DHS cast members would disagree with that statement.

I think it depends on the perspective of the person. Those who say it is "pretty much shut down" probably only look at the aspect that the show runs about 3 nights a week.
Then, there is the other viewpoint of where the 9pm show is almost always packed with standing room only (or not even that).

Now, I've heard rumors about OTHER shows at DHS (and no, Epic wasn't one of them) heading for the chopping block in the near future… But nixing Fantasmic!? Not going to happen any time soon-- at least, not within the next year.

What shows? I hope its Little Mermaid. But, it cant be Beauty and the Beast, can it? That show is still popular.

BrerFrog

Some people are kind of tired of seeing Fantasmic. I'll admit I am- Disneyland or not. It has become by far my least favorite nightly show and I know it like the back of my hand which doesn't help either.

You'd think the executives living in the parks would get tired of it too :lol:

And World of Color is great, but that show can update fairly easily and remain fresh. It's such a vague theme that really anything Disney can go into this show that WDI wants. I think they'll be using that to their advantage.

All good things must end- and if you wait too long then you'll eventually see them die on their own. I don't want Fantasmic to- heck, in WDW it has been for years. I want to see it end and becaome a great chapter in WDW history.

Another problem Fantasmic has is its very low replay value compared to the other night-time shows. I know that, just like Fantasmic, Wishes and Illuminations are the same every single night, but Fantasmic is basically a stage show with higher production values while the other two are fireworks displays. And I find the latter to be much more effective in retaining their "Wow" factor even after a couple of viewings.

prbiker15

Was at DHS a few days ago. Lots of people, most I've seen at the park in the past 4 times I went to the park. Fantasmic ended up getting rained out, it started pouring at around 8:00, so bad luck. I honestly think if they take out Fantasmic, the park might *uncertain* suffer like it did when it was looking for a way to boost attendance. Give it an upgrade at least..first thing I would do is take out the Pocahontas scene.

_Scar

Why does everyone hate Pocahontas so much? :(

I don't quite like it because it doesn't quite represent the parts of the movie I think of when I think "Pocahontas". There should be Colors of the Wind.

In World of Color, however, Pocahontas has one of if not THE best segment. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom