Last Year For Fantasmic?

jt04

You would need to remove the island and expand back into the Backstage area behind the island to get the 400+ feet of depth that World of Color has in DCA's lagoon. To get the 475+ feet of width the show has in DCA you would need to bulldoze the amphitheater in its current form and expand several hundred feet to the south, carving out area from the current waterway and lake that connects to the Swan and Dolphin.

You can't push the boundary north much because Buena Vista Drive is there, unless you are suggesting rerouting that six lane roadway and pushing it into the surface parking lot for the Swan's convention center.

I don't think anyone has said it is impossible for World of Color to fit into a piece of land attached to DHS. It can't however, fit into the Fantasmic! arena as its currently scaled. But I think what we've said is that it would require major demolition, reconstruction, possible rerouting of major roads, and a great deal of cost over and above the show equipment and infrastructure itself.

And for what? To kill off an existing night spectacular to gain another? Why not go the Disneyland route and keep Fantasmic! where it is, updated it into the 21st century with new tech (which it needed desperately 5 years ago), and then add World of Color to an existing park that doesn't have a big night water show. :)

Hello, Animal Kingdom calling? Please hold while I connect you to Burbank...

You are just letting your fanboy dreams cloud your vision. WoC can't go into DAK for several reasons. Some have suggested it go in the lake by Everest but that is not possible because the water has to be filtered and cleaned from my understanding. Now if they wanted to put it on the BK expansion pad as a closing show before dumping everyone into the parking lot, that might work. I would be suprised if they do that though.

I still think you are underestimating the area available at DHS. Pehaps someone can photoshop the entire WoC area onto the DHS stadium/stage. That would tell the tale.

Tigger1988

WoC is not coming to the Fantasmic arena, it wouldn't even make sense for it to. Fantasmic is still a HUGE draw, I've never seen the viewing area not filled to capacity.

jt04

WoC is not coming to the Fantasmic arena, it wouldn't even make sense for it to. Fantasmic is still a HUGE draw, I've never seen the viewing area not filled to capacity.

That is a good point but they have scaled back the number of performances from the early days so that has kept capacity up per showing. I don't bother seeing the show anymore as the wait times eat up so much time. However if WoC was brought in I wouldn't miss it every trip. It is that amazing.

TP2000

You are just letting your fanboy dreams cloud your vision. WoC can't go into DAK for several reasons.

The funny thing is that I have absolutely no dreams, fanboy or otherwise, about Animal Kingdom. In fact, I'm not a real fan of DAK to begin with. It's the one park I can skip when I visit WDW. I last went to DAK a couple years ago to try out Everest and haven't been back. I go to the San Diego Wild Animal Park more than DAK, which isn't that much however, but I do get my animal chills and thrills there.

The 1,800 acre San Diego Wild Animal Park is a tad more hands on than DAK, and kind of sets the bar high for Kilimanjaro Safari and finding out if Little Red is okay or not. :cool:

San Diego Wild Animal Park Safari Tour, Aerial Balloon, & Flightline

San_Diego_Wild_Animal_Park.jpg
WildAnimalParkSafari-11.jpg

dsc00745.jpg

DAK is a half-day park with two (2) good rides where they bubble-wrap and sterilize any interaction with the animals whatsoever. There are better things at Epcot to fill my vacation time with.

That said, Animal Kingdom is the one park without a night spectacular. World of Color is the spectacular to end all spectaculars, but it doesn't use fireworks to scare the animals and it doesn't require a big parade route that AK doesn't have. It would seem a perfect technology to use, if and when they add a night spectacular to DAK.

I'm not sure why you would want to rid WDW of Fantasmic!. All it needs is some TLC and a big shot of the 21st century technology they've added to the Disneyland version in recent years. Fantasmic! at Disneyland sparkles like it never has before, and the DHS version could do the same if they wanted it to. Heck, they could run two shows per night, seven days per week like Disneyland does if they had a sparkling updated show to offer. :eek:

Testtrack321

You are just letting your fanboy dreams cloud your vision.

Oh my god this is hilarious.

We have pictures, first hand reports from people who have seen and followed WoC construction, and proof that WoC, copied and pasted like people are suggeting, into the F! theater WILL NOT WORK. (let alone all the line of sight, scale, and other problems that such a show would cause)

Yet you continue to dance around saying there's room and it should happen. I give up...

_Scar

The funny thing is that I have absolutely no dreams, fanboy or otherwise, about Animal Kingdom. In fact, I'm not a real fan of DAK to begin with. It's the one park I can skip when I visit WDW. I last went to DAK a couple years ago to try out Everest and haven't been back. I go to the San Diego Wild Animal Park more than DAK, which isn't that much however, but I do get my animal chills and thrills there.

The 600 acre San Diego Wild Animal Park is a tad more hands on than DAK, and kind of sets the bar high for Kilimanjaro Safari and finding out if Little Red is okay or not. :cool:

San Diego Wild Animal Park Safari Tour, Aerial Balloon, & Flightline

DAK is a half-day park with two (2) good rides where they bubble-wrap and sterilize any interaction with the animals whatsoever. There are better things at Epcot to fill my vacation time with.

That said, Animal Kingdom is the one park without a night spectacular. World of Color is the spectacular to end all spectaculars, but it doesn't use fireworks to scare the animals and it doesn't require a big parade route that AK doesn't have. It would seem a perfect technology to use, if and when they add a night spectacular to DAK.

I'm not sure why you would want to rid WDW of Fantasmic!. All it needs is some TLC and a big shot of the 21st century technology they've added to the Disneyland version in recent years. Fantasmic! at Disneyland sparkles like it never has before, and the DHS version could do the same if they wanted it to. Heck, they could run two shows per night, seven days per week like Disneyland does if they had a sparkling updated show to offer. :eek:

The zip-line just looks tacky and out of place. The animals are probably thinking 'why are there humans flying above me'?

Rides: KJS, Dino, EE, Kali... aisde from the magnificent shows. Quality, not quantity. :)

Epcot is also slim-pickins in the ride department, but it's got the rest to back it up as an amazing park.

WoC the ultimate spectacular? Maybe Steve Davison's version...

F! @ DL is dragon-less for 6 months+ now :lol:

And, I can only speak for myself here, I'm very tired of F! Time for something new and not stale. We get it. Love, dreams, magic conquers all. Time for something new!

A complete face-lift of the story would be fine. Maybe Tokyo's new barge version for Epcot :lol:

:lookaroun

Kidding, love the RoE :p

I'd love to see a reworked fireworks show in a HATLESS DHS :)

TP2000

Scar, with all due respect buddy, you haven't even been to Disneyland for your first visit yet. Come visit SoCal, then you can judge World of Color and go back and see the Fantasmic! that's playing at DHS and wonder what TDO has been doing with all its time for the past decade.

As for the Flightline at Wild Animal Park, it doesn't travel over animal sections. The African animals are mainly found in the open safari section over the ridge in that picture, and the rest are in the other exhibits in the first couple hundred acres of the park. San Diego Wild Animal Park is 1,800 acres, compared to Animal Kingdom's 500 acres. There's room for some zip lines down off of the hills. Trust me. :lol:

_Scar

Scar, with all due respect buddy, you haven't even been to Disneyland for your first visit yet. Come visit SoCal, then you can judge World of Color and go back and see the Fantasmic! that's playing at DHS and wonder what TDO has been doing with all its time for the past decade.

As for the Flightline at Wild Animal Park, it doesn't travel over animal sections. The African animals are mainly found in the open safari section over the ridge in that picture, and the rest are in the other exhibits in the first couple hundred acres of the park. San Diego Wild Animal Park is 1,800 acres, compared to Animal Kingdom's 500 acres. There's room for some zip lines down off of the hills. Trust me. :lol:

I actually am a fan of World of Color- I happen to think Steve's version would have made it the best show ever, but now it's a greatest hits clip show. I don't have to see it in person to know that- no one has seen Steve's version. :animwink:

Oh, then that zipline is awesome. I've seen some zoos with questionable ways of viewing animals, can you help me for assuming? :lol:

SeaCastle

You are just letting your fanboy dreams cloud your vision. WoC can't go into DAK for several reasons. Some have suggested it go in the lake by Everest but that is not possible because the water has to be filtered and cleaned from my understanding. Now if they wanted to put it on the BK expansion pad as a closing show before dumping everyone into the parking lot, that might work. I would be suprised if they do that though.

I still think you are underestimating the area available at DHS. Pehaps someone can photoshop the entire WoC area onto the DHS stadium/stage. That would tell the tale.

I believe you mis-read his post. If I'm not mistaken, he was inferring that the Animal Kingdom should have some sort of nighttime entertainment or otherwise something new added to it, not necessarily World of Color (which is a topic that's been beaten to death here.)

A couple of points here...

I've gone to Disneyland in '08, '09, and when DCA is finished, '12. They are great parks, everything is nice and maintained and neat. If you have the means, everyone should make at least one visit out there, especially before casting judgement. I'm neither a WDW or DLR fanboy, but since I've visited WDW more, I'm more familiar with their parks. (I love 'em both, but WDW has a special place in my heart as my first theme park.)

In its defense, Animal Kingdom was designed as "nahtazu", and is thus incomparable to a theme park nor a zoo. (That's not to say I don't believe the park is mis-managed, nor am I attempting to justify the lack of anything new and exciting to do since Everest in '06.) There are beautiful animal exhibits there alongside top-notch attractions. People going to the Wild Animal Park aren't expecting a theme park, and likewise people going to Disneyland aren't expecting to see animal exhibits. It's just a matter of keeping things in perspective.

And if you haven't been to the San Diego Zoo, you have not been to a zoo. :cool: (Well, maybe besides the National Zoo in DC, or a select others, but you get my point.)

TP2000

A couple of points here...

And if you haven't been to the San Diego Zoo, you have not been to a zoo. :cool: (Well, maybe besides the National Zoo in DC, or a select others, but you get my point.)

Thanks for your perspective!

As you know, I wasn't suggesting bringing World of Color exactly to Animal Kingdom. But the technology used for that massive show seems to be perfect for the unique operational demands of Animal Kingdom. Most Disney movies involve animals, so right there is a theme that could easily fill 25 minutes of a unique Animal Kingdom spectacular using the WoC technology pioneered at DCA.

And yes, the San Diego Zoo puts other American zoos to shame. But just so folks aren't confused, the San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park are two different things about 30 miles apart. They are both owned and operated by the San Diego Zoological Society, but the Zoo is in the middle of beautiful Balboa Park just above downtown San Diego, and the Wild Animal Park is actually sprawled on 1,800 acres in northern San Diego County near the city of Escondido. The Zoo was built over time after the 1915 World's Fair, and the Wild Animal Park was opened by the Zoological Society in 1972.

Disney Imagineers made many trips to the Wild Animal Park in the 1990's as they developed the plans for Animal Kingdom in WDW. It was a revolutionary idea when it opened in the early 70's, and was thought to be the future of zoos with its African themed villages and animal exhibits in themed environments leading to over a thousand open acres of free roaming African animals. It's not hyper-themed like DAK would be 25 years later, but it was a totally new form of zoo when it opened in '72 and is still very entertaining by todays standards, and the African village theme has held up well throughout the park almost 40 years later.
wap_9_med.jpg
wap-entrance.jpg

1425518911_9c9eca4ff3.jpg

The original monorail trains from '72 that took you on an hour long tour of the property were removed a few years ago....

wild-animal-park-monorail_1_big.jpg

And replaced with safari trucks with a zoologist onboard that follow loosely established paths and just sort of meander through the varying animal terrains...

wild.animal.park.1.jpg

But you can still see the influences of the Wild Animal Park in the Animal Kingdom at WDW. Few East Coasters know the part that this San Diego park played in the creation of DAK and the inspiration that Imagineers got from it however. But, now you know! :animwink:

And for what it's worth, the San Diego Wild Animal Park also does not have a nighttime water spectacular. :lol:

RSoxNo1

San Diego's Wild Animal Park is very similar to Disney's Animal Kingdom. Of course the focus in San Diego is 100% on the animals, but the feel of the two locals is very similar.

World of Color is pretty awesome. I saw it for the first time 2 weeks ago and watching the video on YouTube does not do it justice. You really have to see it in person to appreciate how fantastic it is.

_Scar

World of Color is pretty awesome. I saw it for the first time 2 weeks ago and watching the video on YouTube does not do it justice. You really have to see it in person to appreciate how fantastic it is.

I said I am a fan of it :lol:

I can't just book a plane to DL for a weekend. :shrug:

prbiker15

Just to help debunk this thread... I have read on many different sites and on many different posts that Disney has been testing out lots of new effects and changes to the show. They have been super subtle and everything is in the early stages. From what I have read and from want cast members and guests have been saying, the effects have been super awesome and will be building up to something bigger. I know that a couple of posters have even spotted some of the newer effects as well. I did read on another site, (wdwmagic rules them all IMO) one of the new effects is the flames during the Maleficent's dragon scene change colors (orange and green). Also some pyro testing has also been going on. So what is the build up? Who knows. I would like a longer show with more scenes and live characters.

Hopefully this is a start, 11-12 years later. :ROFLOL:

Anyways, the show has finally been getting some love. Hope F! can go back to 7 nights a week soon..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom