Last Year For Fantasmic?

Aurora's#1Fan

I don't see dhs getting woc. the lagoon is too small I believe. Tdo probably also is nt willing to spend the money. It seems all you wdwers want these days is copies:rolleyes:

Also, you can't have boats and such in the lagoon

rangerbob

I would think that they could fit it in if they get rid of the mountain and stage and make the whole thing into a lake. I would be glad if they were to have a full time show at MGM. The excuse of them saying that the Karoke show was enough isn't good enough for me. I don't go to MGM unless if Fantasmic is playing. The park isn't worth it...

RSoxNo1

Does anyone think it would be a great idea to put World of Color at AK? This would give the park a reason to stay open after dark...

This has actually been talked about quite a few times on here, and the thought is that it would be virtually impossible, for a handful of reasons.

The "lake" at AK in front of Everest doesn't have a concrete bottom.

The "lake" is connected to the river that runs around the tree of life. That would all have to be changed.

The waterways at AK have plenty of fish/turtles/wildlife in them (it's kinda part of the theme of the park, no?). That would be a bad mix with a highly technical fountain show.

There's no infrastructure in place for something like that in that lake.

That's just a few of the reasons. There's also no viewing area for something like that. That's not to say that any of these hurdles couldn't be overcome... But that takes $$... And we all know how TDO is about that. Why would they do all that, and spend all that money, when they've got a perfectly good lagoon with tons of stadium seating already built that would work great? Or if they didn't want to go that direction, I'd still imagine they could build another facility from scratch for the same or less than what it would cost to make it happen in the lake at the AK.

The simplist solution is usually the correct one... A show themed around Disney movies makes sense in a park centered around movies, in a theatre and stadium already there and ready to be converted. Zero chance it would happen anywhere else on property, IMHO.

Welcome to the boards, by the way!

Apparently a WOC type should has actually been discussed for the Animal Kingdom, but it would seem that a significant amount of changes would have to take place (as outlined above).

I haven't seen World of Color yet, but it would seem that a direct clone doesn't fit thematically with the Animal Kingdom, and would make more sense for the Fantasmic theater.

Having said all that, I don't think it's happening. Perhaps the water show from Tokyo Disney Seas could happen? I don't know much about it, but to anyone that knows about it - could that work for AK? What about DHS?

TP2000

Having said all that, I don't think it's happening. Perhaps the water show from Tokyo Disney Seas could happen? I don't know much about it, but to anyone that knows about it - could that work for AK? What about DHS?

Tokyo DisneySeas actually is getting a huge new water show next year. It's called... Fantasmic!. http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/020210_NF_BN_FantasmicTokyo.html :lol:

Disneyland just spent several years and millions of dollars to upgrade and plus the Fantasmic! there, replacing lighting, audio, special effects, floats, crystal clear digital projectors replaced the old film projectors, and of course the new dragon. Tokyo is now getting Fantasmic!. So why would WDW scrap their show? All WDW needs to do is spend the same money and energy to upgrade and polish their show and drag it out of the 1990's kicking and screaming so it looks better.

TP2000

I don't see dhs getting woc. the lagoon is too small I believe.

Yes, World of Color is MASSIVE. Judging from some Google Earth dimensions and publicity information released publicly by Disney;

Paradise Pier Lagoon is
775 Feet Long by 350 Feet Wide (at its broadest point, as its oddly shaped)

DHS Fantasmic! Lagoon is
325 Feet Long by 225 Feet Wide (front of bleachers to backside of Backstage)

World of Color submersible fountain platform is
400 Feet Long by 250 Feet Wide

DHS Fantasmic! Island Stage is
225 Feet Long by 150 Feet Wide (including all Backstage portion of island)

Three Fantasmic! Mist Screens use a 6 inch nozel to create separate screens 30 feet tall by 100 feet wide.

Five World of Color Mist Screens use up to a 16 inch nozel to create a single screen 50 feet tall by 380 feet wide. (Plus additional smaller screens in front to give depth to animation, like a multi-plane camera)

DHS Fantasmic! has three 70MM film projectors
Disneyland Fantasmic! has three HD digital projectors
World of Color has thirty HD digital projectors

DHS Fantasmic! manmade mountain and tallest fountain is 60 feet high
World of Color tallest fountain is 200 feet high.

I could go on, but there is a huge difference in the scale and scope of the massive World of Color show compared to the DHS Fantasmic! show and the DHS Hollywood Hills Amphitheater facility.

About the only place at WDW that World of Color could go without building an entirely new body of water would be World Showcase Lagoon at Epcot, or Bay Lake in front of one of the Deluxe Resort Hotels.

Buried20KLeague

I've seen it. Great show, but the storyline is a tad abstract and not really something that fits with AK any more than WOC does. At least not the way it is now.

But the thing is, it would need a TON of infrastructure too. Barges that move through the lake timed to music, TONS of fire effects (probably really bad for the wildlife in the lake!!), etc...

It's an impressive show, to be sure, but I think once BraviSEAmo closes, it will have seen it's last days in performace anywhere in the world. I think it's too abstract for here. Lots of Americans can't/don't follow the storyline to Illuminations... I can't imagine WHAT they would think about BraviSEAmo! :lol:

"Wait. What? What's up with the dragon? I don't get what the big water person is about. Where did these things even COME from???" :lol:

Tinkrbell

I don't see them replacing Fant with WoC. I worked at Fantasmic in costuming for 8 months. For them to put WoC in, they would have to remove the island. I've seen the moat when it's been drained, so that's not a big deal, but there is so much going on backstage on the island, it could be rather difficult for them to remove. There's a basement to the island, & thats' where the projectors are kept & serviced from (if a bulb blows, it's changed in the basement.)
The mountain blocks a decent sized trailer that is used by entertainment, costuming, & technicians. With WoC, there wont be a need for entertainment or costuming, but the show would still require technicians. There's also a parking lot back there that is used by cast members at Christmas & Easter when the parking lots are too full for us to park in the CM lot in the front of the park.
They would have to build something to block the view of that area from guests if they were to replace Fant with WoC & remove the mountain.

I know they have ways of solving all of those possible problems I just mentioned, but those are all other things that would have to be considered.

Buried20KLeague

Yes, World of Color is MASSIVE. Judging from some Google Earth dimensions and publicity information released publicly by Disney;

Paradise Pier Lagoon is
775 Feet Long by 350 Feet Wide (at its broadest point, as its oddly shaped)

DHS Fantasmic! Lagoon is
325 Feet Long by 225 Feet Wide (front of bleachers to backside of Backstage)

World of Color submersible fountain platform is
400 Feet Long by 250 Feet Wide

DHS Fantasmic! Island Stage is
225 Feet Long by 150 Feet Wide (including all Backstage portion of island)

Three Fantasmic! Mist Screens use a 6 inch nozel to create separate screens 30 feet tall by 100 feet wide.

Five World of Color Mist Screens use up to a 16 inch nozel to create a single screen 50 feet tall by 380 feet wide. (Plus additional smaller screens in front to give depth to animation, like a multi-plane camera)

DHS Fantasmic! has three 70MM film projectors
Disneyland Fantasmic! has three HD digital projectors
World of Color has thirty HD digital projectors

DHS Fantasmic! manmade mountain and tallest fountain is 60 feet high
World of Color tallest fountain is 200 feet high.

I could go on, but there is a huge difference in the scale and scope of the massive World of Color show compared to the DHS Fantasmic! show and the DHS Hollywood Hills Amphitheater facility.

About the only place at WDW that World of Color could go without building an entirely new body of water would be World Showcase Lagoon at Epcot, or Bay Lake in front of one of the Deluxe Resort Hotels.

Would it be impossible for them to just expand the sides of the lagoon? It doesn't seem like that would be that difficult to do...

Kind of silly we're even talking about it though, I think... With virtually no ability to re-use any of the F! equipment based on your specs above, and the size difference of the lagoon, etc... I can't see it happening.

I'd love for it to, though! F! doesn't do much for me. :shrug:

TP2000

Would it be impossible for them to just expand the sides of the lagoon? It doesn't seem like that would be that difficult to do...

I'd love for it to, though! F! doesn't do much for me. :shrug:

Technically, it's possible, but it still doesn't get you a performance area nearly as big as World of Color.

100 feet to the north of the DHS Fantasmic! lagoon is Buena Vista Drive, and 50 feet to the south of the Fantasmic! lagoon is the natural waterway that connects with Swan and Dolphin. To get something as big as the Paradise Bay lagoon and the World of Color fountain platform wedged in to the current DHS Fantasmic! area you would have to reroute Buena Vista Drive on one side and fill in a portion of the natural waterway on the other side.

IMHO, the fact that they haven't updated the technology for the DHS Fantasmic! show since Bill Clinton was in office is part of the problem why people aren't as enamored of the show at WDW. With each passing year it looks more and more hokey and a bit tired. Just replacing the film projectors with HD digital projectors did amazing things for the Disneyland show a few years ago. Start there with that change, especially since the DHS version uses the mist screen animation a lot more than Disneyland does, and then upgrade the lighting, audio and stagecraft to 21st century standards, maybe even a new dragon, and Fantasmic! can sparkle again at WDW.

It's the 21st century. WDW simply needs to do some heavy investment in this show to breathe new life into it.

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
Just replacing the film projectors with HD digital projectors did amazing things for the Disneyland show a few years ago. Start there with that change, especially since the DHS version uses the mist screen animation a lot more than Disneyland does, and then upgrade the lighting, audio and stagecraft to 21st century standards, maybe even a new dragon, and Fantasmic! can sparkle again at WDW.

It's the 21st century. WDW simply needs to do some heavy investment in this show to breathe new life into it.

It's about time Walt Disney World did something about the show for once, as it does look really old, as you say. The modifications that Disneyland put in place made the show new again. But the problem is, Walt Disney World doesn't want to spend the money. They just don't...I hope they do in the end.

Optimus Mouse

Given current economic conditions and the general attitude of Orlando's management toward capital expenditures I seriously doubt this is true.

However, just to be on record, I find Fantasmic to be a perfect match for DHS: a yawn-inducing nightcap for a mostly-mediocre (and I'm being generous) park.

Given current economic conditions and the general attitude of Orlando's management toward capital expenditures I seriously doubt this is true.

However, just to be on record, I find Fantasmic to be a perfect match for DHS: a yawn-inducing nightcap for a mostly-mediocre (and I'm being generous) park.
Watch out for Epcot Servo he is out with a vengance for anyone who disrespects his favorite park. Optimus what is your favorite park at WDW?

yensid67

Is the fantasmic lagoon etc large enough for World of Color though? It doesnt seem like the layout would be. I dont see TDO spending money on all that right now unless maybe World of Color came as part of the 40th? But seems too soon. We will be lucky if MK gets a new daytime parade even.

I think that Fantasmic Lagoon IS big enough if they would remove the moutain and replace it with WOC. I said months ago when DL began building WOC that it would not be too long before WDW would get it as well!
And I agree with Fantasmic being replaced by ANY spectaular dayor night time show! Iit opened in 1999 and its still the same. Same storyline, same characters, same pyro. So a new day/nighttime show to replace it would be OK. Maybe take One Man's Dream and put it into a show!?

Just my opinion!

zweltar

Fantasmic is alright. The first time I saw it, it blew me away. However, after that time, it leaves me feeling... "meh." :shrug:
It's a nice little show that isn't nearly as tremendous as it once was.:(

miles1

I have no opinion on whether there's any truth to the rumor or not... But...

My guess is that over the long term, it would cost a lot less to run WOC than it does to run Fantasmic nightly. MUCH less cast. I'd bet the bean counters could make the math look attractive.

Sure, there would be a huge cost to make the change-over, but basically zero R&D now, and I'm sure they could do some creative things to share other costs involved. WOC could easily be run more times per night than F!, too.

My thoughts exactly. And probably why it will happen.

cslafferty

I've always been more of a Wishes fan, but I know many for whom Fantasmic is their favorite part of WDW. When I think of DHS I think of Fantasmic. I think maybe they may make some upgrades to the theatre - maybe to increase seating capacity - and maybe add some new elements to the show from WOC, but Fantasmic should stay, and should always be called Fantasmic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom