Last Year For Fantasmic?

Tigger#1

Original Poster
Someone that works with DW just came back from the World and said a CM told them that this would be the last season for Fantasmic. Apparently they are bringing in a show from one of the other parks to relpace it.

Andrew54

homer-doh-square.jpg

Not Cool...I love Fantasmic

Ausdaddy

It's highly unlikely that a CM would have this knowledge and it not have leaked out. It would seem more likely that it would receive updates like Disneyland.

Evil Genius

Agreed...I can see updates and additions to Fantasmic before I can believe there's a full replacement of the show coming.

Besides, unless it was an entirely new show not seen in any other parks, I can't think of what show DHS could be importing.

I mean, they certainly aren't going to be cloning DCA's World of Color show this soon. So what else is there I'm missing?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
A few years ago there were plans to "re-purpose" the Fantasmic theater. It's certainly been on the cards, so I would not be surprised to see a significant change. Having said that, I'm not aware of anything happening currently.

Master Gracey 5

Not a rumor I would place much stock into. I could see them shutting it down temporarily for some upgrades or rehab, but its a very popular show and a big draw for the crowds so I doubt they'd just replace it without something else planned and being marketed only a year in advance.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm not sure shutting down or "re-puposing" the theatre right now would be in the best interests of WDW....

Swfewrmco

I'not sure shutting down or "re-puposing" the theatre right now would be in the best interests of WDW....

The show runs, what, two days a week? For all intents and purposes, it is pretty much shut down. I'd love for them to do something new, but we know Disney's love for cloning. That said, I'd love World of Color. It ties in more with the Studios (tribute to Walt's TV show, highlights of Disney and Pixar films) better than California Adventure (what does the show have to do with California or a seaside amusement park?)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The show runs, what, two days a week? For all intents and purposes, it is pretty much shut down. I'd love for them to do something new, but we know Disney's love for cloning. That said, I'd love World of Color. It ties in more with the Studios (tribute to Walt's TV show, highlights of Disney and Pixar films) better than California Adventure (what does the show have to do with California or a seaside amusement park?)

Duiring the height of the busy season (i.e., now) it can run three times a week, with multiple shows each night. It is a fan favorite and a very popular draw. Taking it out now when WWoHP is set to debut isn't the best of ideas...

Swfewrmco

Duiring the height of the busy season (i.e., now) it can run three times a week, with multiple shows each night. It is a fan favorite and a very popular draw. Taking it out now when WWoHP is set to debut isn't the best of ideas...

If not now, when?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
If not now, when?

Who says it has to be taken out at all? I'm sorry, but a secondhand rumor from a CM isn't going to convince me. Fantasmic is one of the more popular shows at WDW, the fact they cut back the performances upset many, and, there's never been any indication that WOC is going to be installed at WDW.

Aurora's#1Fan

What does Fantasmic have to do with a Frontier Island. What do pixies have to do with a mysterious mountain in Tokyo? What does Spectro Magic have to do with Main Street and Frontierland? :hammer:

I highly doubt this is true. That would make DHS lose one of its main attractions for quite some time. Also dont be looking in your future for WOC.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Well they use the same water spray screens in WoC that they do in Fantasmic. I could see it happening. The only problem is space. The theater backs up on a couple roads. Really no room for expansion to give the size needed for a WoC display. If they do it, it will be a cheap ripoff of the one at DCA.

DocMcHulk

A few years ago there were plans to "re-purpose" the Fantasmic theater. It's certainly been on the cards, so I would not be surprised to see a significant change. Having said that, I'm not aware of anything happening currently.

How would they "re-purpose" it? a stage show that runs several times a day?

cmwade77

Well they use the same water spray screens in WoC that they do in Fantasmic. I could see it happening. The only problem is space. The theater backs up on a couple roads. Really no room for expansion to give the size needed for a WoC display. If they do it, it will be a cheap ripoff of the one at DCA.
They definitely do not use the same water spray screens as Fantasmic!, these are the largest screens ever made. In addition the Fantasmic! theater at DHS is not large enough to house everything that WOC uses. (Really the area of the pier that WOC uses is HUGE! I have been watching during construction and I will be going Saturday to see the show)

As for the theater, I could see them doing a different show on the nights that Fantasmic! doesn't run. I think that would be a great idea, different shows for different nights, you would encourage people to stay longer when they go to Disney World.

Buried20KLeague

I have no opinion on whether there's any truth to the rumor or not... But...

My guess is that over the long term, it would cost a lot less to run WOC than it does to run Fantasmic nightly. MUCH less cast. I'd bet the bean counters could make the math look attractive.

Sure, there would be a huge cost to make the change-over, but basically zero R&D now, and I'm sure they could do some creative things to share other costs involved. WOC could easily be run more times per night than F!, too.

wdwfan22

Who says it has to be taken out at all? I'm sorry, but a secondhand rumor from a CM isn't going to convince me. Fantasmic is one of the more popular shows at WDW, the fact they cut back the performances upset many, and, there's never been any indication that WOC is going to be installed at WDW.

I could eventually see them doing something else with the theater. The complaints from the cutback of shows couldn't have been that severe since they have not brought it back to nightly performances. And notice how it was left out of the Summer Nightastic promotion. It could have easily been advertised and brought back the nightly performances.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom