News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Watched ABC tonight, John was a passing note, not a story at the end of Rose's story with no Coco footage, just pics of him. Hopefully no Media outlet is planning on using Coco footage! Any chance it'll stay just a passing note/story esp with the Holiday Weekend coming up: families not watching much news, hard news anchors off for the holiday. So maybe it won't affect Coco too much? I've been hearing some good things on Twitter about Coco before tonight. Might see next week, Hopefully it'll still be in UltraScreens next week after this news.

On to the bigger Problem: GOOD GRIEF!!!!!! What is going on here?!?!? I'm shocked about John and Charlie from last night . Charlie was well respected I know.

Along with the people in DC, Spacey and Weinstein,
why is this exploding now???

I'm hoping Hollywood changes the way they do movies. Less sex and a LOT less cheating( it just looks bad after Weinstein)
Coco hopefully still has the chance to be a great movie and stand apart from what Hollywood has to offer.

PS Saw " The Star" today. Finally a good Movie! Even if it was geared to people below me age!

I'm not trying to justify this - at all - so let me be clear...

But I don't think revelations are gonna stop anytime soon because of how commonplace this is...

People are attracted to each other...chemically and instinctually on a subconscious level. We have science now that proves these things.

And because the human brain is the one machine we will never figure out...they're gonna keep screwing up with this.

Morality was created by man...biology was not. Nature beats nature every single time.

The real question is will society figure out a way to reset the narrative and move on? Either intentionally or organically? Because i don't think there's a bottom to this well. Most would be exposed...figuratively, of course.

mikejs78

Premium Member

But I don't think revelations are gonna stop anytime soon because of how commonplace this is...

People are attracted to each other...chemically and instinctually on a subconscious level. We have science now that proves these things.

And because the human brain is the one machine we will never figure out...they're gonna keep screwing up with this.

Morality was created by man...biology was not. Nature beats nature every single time.

The real question is will society figure out a way to reset the narrative and move on? Either intentionally or organically? Because i don't think there's a bottom to this well. Most would be exposed...figuratively, of course.

I don't really agree with this. Societies have been formed to curb our natural instincts, and in many ways we have. We still have a long way to go, but it's possible to live life and respect people. Biology has nothing to do with that, basic human decency does. I refuse to accept the idea that men are hard wired to be predators. It takes a moral compass and empathy towards others, but it's not that hard. It's just that many men in power seem to think the rules don't apply to them.

CinematicFusion

Don't apologize for the rant - as the father of girls, this is something you need to worry about. I'm a mom of two boys, and you can bet your butt that they are being taught to be gentlemen. I will not have my boys thinking locker room talk is funny or acceptable, never mind unwanted touching.

Your boys will grow up to be fine men, they have a great mother!

HauntedMansionFLA

So was it because he was really really touchy feely? Or....is there a lot more coming out we haven't heard. If it's because he was "Touchy Feely" , we have all had friends like this. Yeah....they can make you feel uncomfortable but couldn't someone have said something? Taken it up the company ladder so the CEO could have told him to stop with the long hugs, stair downs, rubbing of legs. They could have been...., "John? What the F man! Knock off the touchy feely stuff, women are complaining. You are becoming known for it." But...no one told him? Ever?
Kind of seems unfair if this was the first time he was confronted. He might have honestly thought he wasn't doing anything wrong.

Again....only implies if he was just "touchy feely", if he was a sexual predator then I take back what I'm saying. I have a feeling it was more and I'm sure information will start pouring out.

No saying being "Touch Feely" is right, I can't stand it. But it is also something that can be easily addressed. Why did everyone just let it happen? Sounds like it was a running joke at Disney for 2 decades. Again....TWO DECADES!
It will be interesting to see if there are E-mails documenting Lassaters behavior and Disney knew about his pattern of behavior and did nothing. That would be the smoking gun.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Nice try. Morality, as you call it, was created to check our biological impulses. And these aren't cases of two individuals attracted to each other, either physically, emotionally, spiritually or intellectually. It's individuals in positions of power intimidating those who have no power via sexualized behavior, whether it be gropping or escalating to rape.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't really agree with this. Societies have been formed to curb our natural instincts, and in many ways we have. We still have a long way to go, but it's possible to live life and respect people. Biology has nothing to do with that, basic human decency does. I refuse to accept the idea that men are hard wired to be predators. It takes a moral compass and empathy towards others, but it's not that hard. It's just that many men in power seem to think the rules don't apply to them.

Some are. We need to understand that, which is why we have laws to punish their behavior.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nice try. Morality, as you call it, was created to check our biological impulses. And these aren't cases of two individuals attracted to each other, either physically, emotionally, spiritually or intellectually. It's individuals in positions of power intimidating those who have no power via sexualized behavior, whether it be gropping or escalating to rape.

I'm not "trying" anything...I just think if you're objective this is huge uphill climb.

Specifically...the Hollywood system seems to breed it and that is gonna take a complete culture shift. I'm all for it. Looks like no "meetings" with directors and producers anymore outside of a well lit room.

But we do agree that society creates rules, and organisms are ultimately controlled by genes, stimuli and processing responses, correct?

We don't have to go back to 9th grade bio, so we? That's a difficult task...not impossible...but it will always be difficult.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Some are. We need to understand that, which is why we have laws to punish their behavior.

I don't think most of the people who engage in this behavior are hard wired to do what they do. While some are, most make choices to be predators, And yes, we should punish that behavior.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm not "trying" anything...I just think if you're objective this is huge uphill climb.

Specifically...the Hollywood system seems to breed it and that is gonna take a complete culture shift. I'm all for it. Looks like no "meetings" with directors and producers anymore outside of a well lit room.

But we do agree that society creates rules, and organisms are ultimately controlled by genes, stimuli and processing responses, correct?

We don't have to go back to 9th grade bio, so we? That's a difficult task...not impossible...but it will always be difficult.

This behavior isn't restricted to just Hollywood, trust me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I don't disagree with that statement at all...by the way...

But it's an apple fighting with an orange, is it not? Biology and society principles don't come from the same place...I'm not saying that they shouldn't coexist...it's just "tough" to say the least.

Humans do awful things to each other and have since the dawn of time. I wish the sun was setting on that...but it hasn't come close.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This behavior isn't restricted to just Hollywood, trust me.

I wasn't indicating it was...but it has been at the forefront.

Gonna have to rate what I'm saying (mostly opinion) and not waste time trying to figure out what you think I've forgotten to say...that doesn't happen a lot.

Pixieish

But it's an apple fighting with an orange, is it not? Biology and society principles don't come from the same place...I'm not saying that they shouldn't coexist...it's just "tough" to say the least.

Humans do awful things to each other and have since the dawn of time. I wish the sun was setting on that...but it hasn't come close.

Lets not forget that alcohol very often plays a role in these situations. Dinner meetings, drinks over lunch, and especially in Lasseter's case where he's a problem drinker. Alcohol weakens our natural inhibitions and thus allows us to behave in a manner in which we normally wouldn't, minus any feelings of shame or guilt. People are all up in arms about medical marijuana...personally, I see alcohol as a much greater peril to society...and this is one of the reasons why.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lets not forget that alcohol very often plays a role in these situations. Dinner meetings, drinks over lunch, and especially in Lasseter's case where he's a problem drinker. Alcohol weakens our natural inhibitions and thus allows us to behave in a manner in which we normally wouldn't, minus any feelings of shame or guilt. People are all up in arms about medical marijuana...personally, I see alcohol as a much greater peril to society...and this is one of the reasons why.

Well, if you're gonna blame alcohol...then there is no sense looking at anthropology or biology...because it becomes the faceless specter that everyone loves to hate.

Alcohol is dangerous...that's a fact...but can be controlled by the majority that have encountered it over time.

And I'd suggest watching the Ken burns prohibition series...

Blaming alcohol for problems of humans own choosing can lead off a cliff...as it did there. Spawned a lot of dark things in our country and world.

LAKid53

Premium Member

True. However, until it is shown otherwise, we need to believe these women or we victimize them again.

When the pedophile priest scandal broke, women in Catholic universities asked the Vatican to be part of the discussion...and part of the solution. They were ignored. Women must and will be part of this solution. And that must include more women in real positions of power and policy making.

As a feminist in her mid 60s, it saddens me and makes me sick that, in spite of our hard fought advances and changes in societal tolerance, this type of behaviour still occurs. Every new revelation, no matter the profession or political persuasion, makes me want to vomit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom