News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What's sad is more isn't coming out about the music industry. I learned pretty quickly to never get on a bus without a friend and someone else knowing where I was.

Yeah, everybody takes it for granted that bands are grabby, but 80% of the time, its the crew or local staff you have to be leery of- you know its bad when the headliner has to 'protect' you from their own crew or support act.

Everyone who works in the industry knows it operates in the stone age, and there no impetus to change it.

That said, now that I'm in the concierge medical field, we encounter daily issues with male patients and our female staff. And these are supposed to be a higher quality of patient. Yeah, right.

I would assume that if the current trend continues, that music and athetics are to follow...

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I would assume that if the current trend continues, that music and athetics are to follow...

Haha, there are not enough hours in the day to cover those industries. The phrase Quid pro quo with its current nuanced usage has been around since the 16th century. Which group of camp followers would it apply to? Groupies who just want to be near or "with" (I'll leave it that ambiguous) or those seeking an advantage, financing, introductions, or employment not based on merit alone.

shernernum

So people shouldn’t be happy when sexual predators are outed? Noted.
There is a difference between being relieved for victims that can finally tell their stories and seeing those who victimized no longer being in places of power, and finding some kind of glee in these stories. My satisfaction is always tinged with the sadness that comes with the inhumanity of human beings. Because of that, happy is just not a word I would choose to use in these situations, but message boards are not always the best places for nuanced emotional responses to be expressed.

TeriofTerror

This behavior isn't restricted to just Hollywood, trust me.
Amen. I used to bartend/waitress. If what John did was all I had to endure on a busy weekend night, I was thrilled. But it was just too busy, too loud, and too crowded to make a fuss. And the likely result would be a bar fight, with bystanders getting hurt and police getting called. It was just easier to deal with it, as long as I never felt I was truly in danger.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Haha, there are not enough hours in the day to cover those industries. The phrase Quid pro quo with its current nuanced usage has been around since the 16th century. Which group of camp followers would it apply to? Groupies who just want to be near or "with" (I'll leave it that ambiguous) or those seeking an advantage, financing, introductions, or employment not based on merit alone.

I would say the latter is what we are trying to root out...though the former has always been an issue as well.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Wow crazy stuff. Wonder who else they will find at Disney involved in this sort of behavior. My thought on this is that Disney will bury this story as much as possible. If Disney is going to dump him they will do it Friday while we are all to busy recovering from our Turkey Over Dose or killing each other at Wal-Mart over the last tickel me Elmo. Come Monday morning they will act as if he never existed

One more thing... SPIRIT man! Not going to lie he was starting to rub me the wrong way with some of his opinionfacts, but when he's right he's right. He called that there was Lasseter trouble weeks before any of this other stuff became a thing. Would really like to see him comment!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is a difference between being relieved for victims that can finally tell their stories and seeing those who victimized no longer being in places of power, and finding some kind of glee in these stories. My satisfaction is always tinged with the sadness that comes with the inhumanity of human beings. Because of that, happy is just not a word I would choose to use in these situations, but message boards are not always the best places for nuanced emotional responses to be expressed.

Agreed...I think as a society we all should be encouraged that these things are getting out into the light...

But "revel" or "happiness" don't come to mind. More trying to figure out where we need to go...like other issues we grapple with everyday and have come up short With a solution for at this point.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Oh, athletics has been "outed" for years. Kobe Bryant ring a bell? And Jameis Winston is back in the news again...and not for his skills as a quarterback.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'm not going to slam his wife. I don't think there is anything wrong with being glad a serial abuser or harasser has been exposed. I'm glad they are being exposed as well. I don't know her story or what she might have had to deal with at her own work or in her life.

I personally have been lucky to work in almost all female environments and have never had a male boss. But even in childcare and preschool, we had male parents who crossed the line with staff. I remember an incident where a dad walked up behind a teacher who was reading a story to her class and just started tickling her. He eventually climbed on top of her and held her down while he did it. A teacher in another class heard her yelling "stop it" and she got the dad to stop. We had to ban him from the school. When the director asked him why he would ever think that was appropriate. He said she was always so nice to me, I thought we were friends. Just because you see someone every day doesn't mean they are your friend and we are required as part of our job to be nice to you and your kids.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I'm going to take the position that until accusers are shown to be in either category, I will believe them. To do otherwise risks silencing the countless number of women - and men, let's not forget they too have been preyed upon - who are victims.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm not going to slam his wife. I don't think there is anything wrong with being glad a serial abuser or harasser has been exposed. I'm glad they are being exposed as well. I don't know her story or what she might have had to deal with at her own work or in her life.

I personally have been lucky to work in almost all female environments and have never had a male boss. But even in childcare and preschool, we had male parents who crossed the line with staff. I remember an incident where a dad walked up behind a teacher who was reading a story to her class and just started tickling her. He eventually climbed on top of her and held her down while he did it. A teacher in another class heard her yelling "stop it" and she got the dad to stop. We had to ban him from the school. When the director asked him why he would ever think that was appropriate. He said she was always so nice to me, I thought we were friends. Just because you see someone every day doesn't mean they are your friend and we are required as part of our job to be nice to you and your kids.

Boy, some are really clueless, aren't they?

:facepalm:

jrhwdw

Watched GMA's coverage this morning, Coco did not come up, but Toy Story, and Frozen was mentioned(So, Olaf's short was his work also along with Coco(I should have known that before this week, My own fault, I know)) UGH!!!! Maybe Disney should focus on more theme park entertainment with Mickey and other IPs now for the time being, This news could really hurt Olaf &Coco....I was looking forward to success from both!

Anyone think anything Olaf's short related will change at DHS because of this?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Wow crazy stuff. Wonder who else they will find at Disney involved in this sort of behavior. My thought on this is that Disney will bury this story as much as possible. If Disney is going to dump him they will do it Friday while we are all to busy recovering from our Turkey Over Dose or killing each other at Wal-Mart over the last tickel me Elmo. Come Monday morning they will act as if he never existed

One more thing... SPIRIT man! Not going to lie he was starting to rub me the wrong way with some of his opinionfacts, but when he's right he's right. He called that there was Lasseter trouble weeks before any of this other stuff became a thing. Would really like to see him comment!

I'm sure Spirit is taking no pleasure in his being correct.

The long term problem for Disney will be if it's determined that those above John in the chain of command knew of his behavior and failed to act. The law is pretty clear on what actions those who are told about harassment must take. That phone call and the comments made around it, as reported in one of the published articles, should worry Disney very much. "What do we do about John" may come back to bite them.....if nothing was done.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Watched GMA's coverage this morning, Coco did not come up, but Toy Story, and Frozen was mentioned(So, Olaf's short was his work also along with Coco(I should have known that before this week, My own fault, I know)) UGH!!!! Maybe Disney should focus on more theme park entertainment with Mickey and other IPs now for the time being, This news could really hurt Olaf &Coco....I was looking forward to success from both!

No.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Lasseter wasn't in charge of either of those, well anymore than he did every other film in his capacity as head of animation. They have different people listed as directors and writers. But his name will be in the credits somewhere.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom