News Lasseter taking leave of absence

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Well, if you're gonna blame alcohol...then there is no sense looking at anthropology or biology...because it becomes the faceless specter that everyone loves to hate.

Alcohol is dangerous...that's a fact...but can be controlled by the majority that have encountered it over time.

And I'd suggest watching the Ken burns prohibition series...

Blaming alcohol for problems of humans own choosing can lead off a cliff...as it did there. Spawned a lot of dark things in our country and world.

Yeah, I don't buy the "I'm not responsible, the alcohol is" excuse. Not every man who gets drunk behaves like this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True. However, until it is shown otherwise, we need to believe these women or we victimize them again.

When the pedophile priest scandal broke, women in Catholic universities asked the Vatican to be part of the discussion...and part of the solution. They were ignored. Women must and will be part of this solution. And that must include more women in real positions of power and policy making.

As a feminist in her mid 60s, it saddens me and makes me sick that, in spite of our hard fought advances and changes in societal tolerance, this type of behaviour still occurs. Every new revelation, no matter the profession or political persuasion, makes me want to vomit.

Is that what you think I'm saying?

I 1000% believe all the victims...didn't question them for a second...

I just think that this problem is so widespread/common that the public sentiment will be to "turn it off" before it all comes out. Because we like to feel good about ourselves and have shown remarkable little stomach to accept inconvenient truths.

All the offenders should suffer. I just have little faith tbat the right things will be done when it comes to some of the big situations at play here

LAKid53

Premium Member
I wasn't indicating it was...but it has been at the forefront.

Gonna have to rate what I'm saying (mostly opinion) and not waste time trying to figure out what you think I've forgotten to say...that doesn't happen a lot.

Yes, it has. Most likely because common perception is that Hollywood is an immoral cesspool. After all, no one refers to a casting couch in non-entertainment corporate America. And Hollywood is just juicer in our celebrity crazed culture.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, it has. Most likely because common perception is that Hollywood is an immoral cesspool. After all, no one refers to a casting couch in non-entertainment corporate America. And Hollywood is just juicer in our celebrity crazed culture.

I personally have always just assumed that there is widespread exploitation in the entertainment world...to my recollection, no one has ever tried to deny it.

But that doesn't make it right at all and if it begins to change now...that's a good thing.

Ashley Judd started this and I have tremendous respect for her...I think she could do a lot of public good.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You've seem to have taken a different stance between posts. What piece of evidence in this thread convinced you to?

I think he needs to go anyway...and this just reaffirms it.

Disney needs totally new leadership - especially the CEO - and needs it now to lead through a turbulent time.

But what's lasseter been doing? Churning out sequels and the parks - while finally very active - have still been "timid" to say the least. Lots of clones and simulators...low risk stuff when bold is the smarter business strategic play.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Is that what you think I'm saying?

I 1000% believe all the victims...didn't question them for a second...

I just think that this problem is so widespread/common that the public sentiment will be to "turn it off" before it all comes out. Because we like to feel good about ourselves and have shown remarkable little stomach to accept inconvenient truths.

All the offenders should suffer. I just have little faith tbat the right things will be done when it comes to some of the big situations at play here

No, not at all. Agreeing with your statement that humans have been doing awful things to each other since we started walking upright. And giving examples thereof.

But also expressing my concern that some are quick to think some women are trying to get their 15 minutes.... Or failing to understand or dismiss why touching any part of a woman's body without her consent is wrong and makes many women ill. Which you clearly recognized with your fear that little may happen to those individuals engaging in this behaviour. That Weinstein has fled to Europe must be corrected - California needs to extradite him and return him to face charges. And drag Polanski back with him. And that particular situation is so telling of the tolerance of this reprehensible behavior in Hollywood.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I personally have always just assumed that there is widespread exploitation in the entertainment world...to my recollection, no one has ever tried to deny it.

But that doesn't make it right at all and if it begins to change now...that's a good thing.

Ashley Judd started this and I have tremendous respect for her...I think she could do a lot of public good.

Agree. And people were so dismissive of her.

Pixieish

Well, if you're gonna blame alcohol...then there is no sense looking at anthropology or biology...because it becomes the faceless specter that everyone loves to hate.

Alcohol is dangerous...that's a fact...but can be controlled by the majority that have encountered it over time.

And I'd suggest watching the Ken burns prohibition series...

Blaming alcohol for problems of humans own choosing can lead off a cliff...as it did there. Spawned a lot of dark things in our country and world.

I'm not solely blaming alcohol...I'm merely saying that it is often a factor in many cases like this. And I have nothing against having a drink or two...but there's a healthy limit and a lack of setting a limit. Prolonged use - and especially abuse - changes how the brain functions - once alcohol no longer provides a high or is able to help a person even attain a feeling of "normal", the brain will seek other sources of stimulus in an effort to achieve that. From the sound of Lasseter in the videos I've seen around these forums since this news broke, alcohol most definitely was a factor and I'd be willing to bet money that this isn't the only area of his life that has been out of control.

It DOES boil down to choice. The choice of whether to overindulge, or to behave inappropriately - both are choices. And yes, men (and women) who abuse their position of authority in any fashion should be punished for their actions. However, I'm also wondering if this is just another case where the mental health aspect of a situation is overlooked in favor of only penal punishment. While penal punishment definitely needs to be on the roster, problems associated with and caused by alcohol abuse go far deeper than a stint in jail or lawsuit will fix. We have a horrible habit of attaching a stigma to mental health issues and trying to sweep them under the rug rather than treating it like any other part of our well-being that should be monitored and treated as necessary. And if you think about it, isn't this kind of behavior a sort of mental illness in and of itself? If you asked most of these men, they would surely condemn this type of behavior, but behind closed doors they are guilty of it themselves. How many horrible situations that we see in the news could have been avoided if the person responsible had sought a mental health service provider? Are these people predators - of course! By why - when the rest of society has evolved past the point of needing such basal predatory instincts, do these people still have them?

If we use the membership of this forum as a sampling of humanity, we could logically assume that the majority of society abhors this kind of behavior - what is it in these men's' (and women's') minds that makes them think it's okay? Or that its worth risking their career and financial well-being over? Could there be a wire crossed in the brain that causes this? Could it be related to mental health? Naturally, this isn't going to be so with every case, but maybe it is with some. Just food for thought, that's all.

And just for the record, I was a victim when I was 17, and the man almost ruined my life. I was fortunate and was able to build a life for myself. That man has mental health issues like you wouldn't believe - alcoholism and addiction among them.

Pixieish

Yeah, I don't buy the "I'm not responsible, the alcohol is" excuse. Not every man who gets drunk behaves like this.

Please see my response to @Sirwalterraleigh ... I don't buy anything as an excuse. What I'm trying to do is see the bigger picture of WHY these people behave like this. Until we take a look at that, and address all the underlying issues, it won't stop.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Please see my response to @Sirwalterraleigh ... I don't buy anything as an excuse. What I'm trying to do is see the bigger picture of WHY these people behave like this. Until we take a look at that, and address all the underlying issues, it won't stop.

I was assaulted by a very sober esteemed Oscar winning actor in college. All because I would leave a piece of gum in his dressing room before each rehearsal - actors are such superstitious individuals. Fortunately, the producer walked in as I was trying to extricate myself from his tentacles so I was able to escape. That man had the power to not only ruin a career that hadn't started yet, but probably get me kicked out of both the program and college I was a 19 year old freshman. I was told to not enter his dressing room anymore, which was hard to not do, given my position on the crew. No apologies from him. I was made to feel I was at fault.

Pixieish

I was assaulted by a very sober esteemed Oscar winning actor in college. All because I would leave a piece of gum in his dressing room before each rehearsal - actors are such superstitious individuals. Fortunately, the producer walked in as I was trying to extricate myself from his tentacles so I was able to escape. That man had the power to not only ruin a career that hadn't started yet, but probably get me kicked out of both the program and college I was a 19 year old freshman. I was told to not enter his dressing room anymore, which was hard to not do, given my position on the crew. No apologies from him. I was made to feel I was at fault.

It's really despicable the rotten things humans can do to each other. I was plied with alcohol and some kind of drug - I never did find out what it was, but I blacked out and when I started to come around the brainwashing began immediately. He had me convinced that no one in the world gave a damn about me but him, and at the same time that I was worthless. It lasted almost 2 years and was the most perfect example of a predator I've ever seen face to face.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It's really despicable the rotten things humans can do to each other. I was plied with alcohol and some kind of drug - I never did find out what it was, but I blacked out and when I started to come around the brainwashing began immediately. He had me convinced that no one in the world gave a damn about me but him, and at the same time that I was worthless. It lasted almost 2 years and was the most perfect example of a predator I've ever seen face to face.

My abuser was someone whose work I admired and I was thrilled to be chosen as one of only a few undergrads to work on this play. He was in the upper echelon of both Broadway and film. If I had complained and reported what he did, no one would have believed me. And I would have created enormous problems for our program and university. A sobering lesson for a 19 year-old to learn.

Pixieish

My abuser was someone whose work I admired and I was thrilled to be chosen as one of only a few undergrads to work on this play. He was in the upper echelon of both Broadway and film. If I had complained and reported what he did, no one would have believed me. And I would have created enormous problems for our program and university. A sobering lesson for a 19 year-old to learn.

Absolutely horrible and unforgivable - on the parts of the abuser and those who covered for that person.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Absolutely horrible and unforgivable - on the parts of the abuser and those who covered for that person.

Lots of $$$, reputations and prestige at stake. This was a new Broadway bound play.... But yes, that's no excuse. And why I'm not surprised or shocked about Weinstein or the other directors, actors or producers. Just sad....for their victims.

Alice a

What's sad is more isn't coming out about the music industry. I learned pretty quickly to never get on a bus without a friend and someone else knowing where I was.

Yeah, everybody takes it for granted that bands are grabby, but 80% of the time, its the crew or local staff you have to be leery of- you know its bad when the headliner has to 'protect' you from their own crew or support act.

Everyone who works in the industry knows it operates in the stone age, and there no impetus to change it.

That said, now that I'm in the concierge medical field, we encounter daily issues with male patients and our female staff. And these are supposed to be a higher quality of patient. Yeah, right.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Lol everyone is a sexual predator. "He put his hand on my knee" arrest him and throw away the key

Read. The. Article.

Putting his hand on the knee was the first step to sliding it up her skirt. The woman had a "Lassater Maneuver" which was folding their arms over their laps to stop the hand from sliding up their skirt. This isn't a small pat on the knee where you say "good job!" It's laying it there. Rubbing the knee. Leaning in. Making it clear it's going to start wandering up the thigh.

And that's why a hand on the knee is indeed harassment, it is indeed unwanted sexual touch, it is battery. It is the first step toward moving forward.

LAKid53

Premium Member
What's sad is more isn't coming out about the music industry. I learned pretty quickly to never get on a bus without a friend and someone else knowing where I was.

Yeah, everybody takes it for granted that bands are grabby, but 80% of the time, its the crew or local staff you have to be leery of- you know its bad when the headliner has to 'protect' you from their own crew or support act.

Everyone who works in the industry knows it operates in the stone age, and there no impetus to change it.

That said, now that I'm in the concierge medical field, we encounter daily issues with male patients and our female staff. And these are supposed to be a higher quality of patient. Yeah, right.

The same applies to some theatrical crew I've worked with. I honestly think women need to go back to slapping men who behave inappropriately. That will get their...and everyone else's...attention.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom