News Lasseter taking leave of absence

mikejs78

Premium Member
He did more than put his hand in someone’s knee according to make and female sources. Sexual harassment is not okay.

*If* the allegations are true. All.we have is unnamed sources, some of which have already proven to be wrong. I would like a little more to go on before passing judgement. But the things you describe are indeed awful and if he did do those things, he should leave Disney and get help.

CinematicFusion

You think a regular employee has any chance of talking to Iger? Also the reason people get away with this is power. People are scared for their jobs. In one article an employee is quoted as basically saying It was common knowledge but what can you do he controls the two biggest animation studios. You tell and you don’t work again.

No... of course not. But a regular employee should be able to talk with their manager and file a complaint. That manager should be able to work that message up the company ladder. This was said to be going on for two decades. You would think enough complaints would lead to an intervention. The only one big enough to talk with John would have been Iger. This should have happened. Right?

JustInTime

You think a regular employee has any chance of talking to Iger? Also the reason people get away with this is power. People are scared for their jobs. In one article an employee is quoted as basically saying It was common knowledge but what can you do he controls the two biggest animation studios. You tell and you don’t work again.
Apparently it was a known issue. John Lasseter single handedly saved WDA. You’d think with that much riding on his back, SOMEBODY would have stepped up within the company. Think of it this way, he is responsible for every WDA feature starting with Meet the Robinsons to Zootopia. And every Pixar movie. He is irreplaceable. Disney is in trouble. I hope they realize that and learned from this. John can’t come back from this. It’s over.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That's why I said have the CEO confront him. If the CEO doesn't have the guts to confront the top talent, the studio is in trouble. There should have been a system in place for employees to talk to their managers and they could relay the message up to someone who had the power to confront him.
So if I was CEO...you bet you butt I would have confronted him.

Most companies have such in place. And individuals who are notified of allegations of sexual harassment must notify the appropriate area - usually HR - or risk fines if discovered they did nothing.

But many fail to realize HR's role is to protect the company. I know of an individual who was well known to be guilty of sexual harassment and worse. But the top management's solution was to move him to another area. Even though he was caught by a student accountant having a Bill and Monica in his office - he wasn't fired for that. It took one brave young woman to report his behavior to the university's inspector General. And she named names. And those women confirmed his behavior. He was fired shortly after that - to this day he has no idea that he did anything wrong.

Jimmy Thick

A very unfortunate but justified announcement if this is true.

But it raises several questions.

This subject now the sour de jour within the press. If men or women are abusing their power or acting in sexually aggressive manners they deserve to be outed and held accountable no question. But lets not fall into the trap of people who are out for publicity and mention names just for their fifteen minutes. The court of public opinion is never wrong right? Lets get all the facts before we jump on any bandwagon.

Jimmy Thick- First Battlefront 2 loot boxes now this, Disney is taking the punches right now.

LAKid53

Premium Member
No... of course not. But a regular employee should be able to talk with their manager and file a complaint. That manager should be able to work that message up the company ladder. This was said to be going on for two decades. You would think enough complaints would lead to an intervention. The only one big enough to talk with John would have been Iger. This should have happened. Right?

Under law, that manager MUST act if it's reported to him/her.

Club34

What’s crazy is I actually believe that some of these idiots had no idea that what they were doing was unwelcome and inappropriate. I mean, I’m pretty sure Weinstein knew he was a sick pervert, but I bet some of these guys actually believed that the women they were assaulting were willing participants. How a person gets to that point of delusion is a mystery but I really think this is the case for someone like Lassiter (and no that does not excuse him at all). I truly believe that things will be better going forward though (yes it will be a long road and this is just the beginning).

How is it a mystery when it clearly happens everywhere and all the time. I don't mean this meanly but I think many of us [especially men] have a certain level of tone-deafness. I have found myself questioning some of my own office conversations which may have veered into inappropriate waters and wondered was someone offended and kept it to themselves. I am not in a position of "power" but still. This is should, if nothing else, give everyone pause to think about how we come at people and how we conduct ourselves in work/social settings.

LAKid53

Premium Member
How is it a mystery when it clearly happens everywhere and all the time. I don't mean this meanly but I think many of us [especially men] have a certain level of tone-deafness. I have found myself questioning some of my own office conversations which may have veered into inappropriate waters and wondered was someone offended and kept it to themselves. I am not in a position of "power" but still. This is should, if nothing else, give everyone pause to think about how we come at people and how we conduct ourselves in work/social settings.

Bingo

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Of course in an ideal world, this should have happened but it didn't.

Pixieish

I'm of the opinion that HR departments have their priorities backwards by putting the company first. Their job should be to support the employees as people first...sort of like an internal checks and balances. All too often I hear stories like these or even cases of employer abuse where impossible-to-reach deadlines are given and when not met hours are cut, overtime denied, etc. etc. A person should NEVER have to fear for their livelihood in reporting inappropriate behavior in the workplace. Period. Corporate America needs a serious shake-up, as do Hollywood and Washington.

Andrew_Ryan

That's how hard core I can get. I have little girls.....I can't tolerate sexual predators and I can't tolerate those who let them continue.. Hollywood looks like a terrible terrible place right now. Men and Women have allowed this to happen for way to long. I'm glad it's starting to come to an end.
Sorry for the rant...this stuff makes me beyond angry. I think of these men attacking my girls. I'm a Dad...sorry for the emotional rant.

It makes all of us angry, my dude. You shouldn't need to have little girls to feel that.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Trust me, I don't live it that world. I was distraught that everyone in the world seemed to give Bill Clinton a pass all these years. It makes me beyond angry. The man is accused of rape...not getting politcal....throw the book at Trump if you want and it makes you feel better. I'm talking sexual predators here and Bill Clinton is one of them.....man it makes me angry!
So yeah...that's the world we live in right now.

I haven't studied everything john lasseter has done, this news just broke....if he is a sexual predator....destroy him. I mean it, destroy him. I don't care what he has done in the film world.
I didn't know john lasseter tried to kiss women on the lips without their consent like Al Frankin (we all know how disgusting that guy is now)

All I said was if....and I meant if John Lasseter was just "touchy feely" it should and could have been corrected early. I stand by that.

However...if he was making sexual advances toward these women as you suggest.....he should never work at Disney again. Kick the F-ing bum out! That is not the world I live in, it would never survive in my company.

That's how hard core I can get. I have little girls.....I can't tolerate sexual predators and I can't tolerate those who let them continue.. Hollywood looks like a terrible terrible place right now. Men and Women have allowed this to happen for way to long. I'm glad it's starting to come to an end.
Sorry for the rant...this stuff makes me beyond angry. I think of these men attacking my girls. I'm a Dad...sorry for the emotional rant.
Sorry I hate I just really hated the phrase "touchy-feely" it gives it a cutesy vibe. And truthfully I am really upset about these allegations. I remember being at the opening party for the Finding Nemo Subs 10 years ago and seeing Lasseter with my sister and just being in awe of this man who had created these amazing films, who was reinvigorating Disney Animation who brought amazing things to the parks. I was a big fan of him and he has basically been the face of Disney and Pixar Animation and the Parks for years. To hear he has been doing these things behind the scenes and apparently everyone knew it's so disheartening.

JustInTime

Sorry I hate I just really hated the phrase "touchy-feely" it gives it a cutesy vibe. And truthfully I am really upset about these allegations. I remember being at the opening party for the Finding Nemo Subs 10 years ago and seeing Lasseter with my sister and just being in awe of this man who had created these amazing films, who was reinvigorating Disney Animation who brought amazing things to the parks. I was a big fan of him and he has basically been the face of Disney and Pixar Animation and the Parks for years. To hear he has been doing these things behind the scenes and apparently everyone knew it's so disheartening.
Same. I’m distraught. His time with the company is over. I hope they can pick up the pieces.

Pixieish

Trust me, I don't live it that world. I was distraught that everyone in the world seemed to give Bill Clinton a pass all these years. It makes me beyond angry. The man is accused of rape...not getting politcal....throw the book at Trump if you want and it makes you feel better. I'm talking sexual predators here and Bill Clinton is one of them.....man it makes me angry!
So yeah...that's the world we live in right now.

I haven't studied everything john lasseter has done, this news just broke....if he is a sexual predator....destroy him. I mean it, destroy him. I don't care what he has done in the film world.
I didn't know john lasseter tried to kiss women on the lips without their consent like Al Frankin (we all know how disgusting that guy is now)

All I said was if....and I meant if John Lasseter was just "touchy feely" it should and could have been corrected early. I stand by that.

However...if he was making sexual advances toward these women as you suggest.....he should never work at Disney again. Kick the F-ing bum out! That is not the world I live in, it would never survive in my company.

Don't apologize for the rant - as the father of girls, this is something you need to worry about. I'm a mom of two boys, and you can bet your butt that they are being taught to be gentlemen. I will not have my boys thinking locker room talk is funny or acceptable, never mind unwanted touching.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It makes all of us angry, my dude. You shouldn't need to have little girls to feel that.

I am the dad of two boys and it makes me angry. I want them to grow up knowing that real men don't do this stuff, that it's not acceptable in any form. Until now, the culture turned a blind eye to much of this. I'm glad it's all coming out now, hopefully some good will come out of all this - that this will be the catalyst to change the culture for the better.

CinematicFusion

Hey...you sold me. I don't want him to ever walk on Disney's campus again. John Lasseter's career ended tonight. You have studied more on this story then I did. I thought he just was giving long uncomfortable hugs and rubbing legs....disgusting and uncomfortable? Absolutely... but easily fixed. But as you said, he was making sexual advances to women, kissing them as you suggested against their will (for 20 years).....I don't want him around after what you said.
He is not even worth talking about ever again. I agree with you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom