News Lasseter taking leave of absence

peter11435

I look at everything individually, because I am individual.. I don’t subscribe to group think or trendy pitch fork parties.. I can acknowledge the difference between the scenarios I just mentioned. You honestly can’t?

You can honestly call 2 women “enablers” 1 of which supports a man who has admitted that he was guilty of wrong doing.. and the other who supports a man because she doesn’t have such conviction based on the claims? This is equal to you?
There is absolutely a difference between being accused and actually being guilty. Nobody should automatically be presumed guilty based on accusation alone. However, you can't dismiss acussations against some and not others. There are others mentioned in that article that have little more than accusations against them and you don't seem to be jumping to defend them or to criticize the article for mentioning their names. In the case of trump there is more than just an accusation. Not saying that makes him guilty. But the line between him and the others is much finer than you want to imply.

bclane

For me, having lived in Palm Beach County until 2013.. I know how gossipy Palm Beach is.. our news and newspapers are such a joke compared to most other cities. So many articles of powerful man who cheated on their wives or sexually harassed someone or accused of doing is such were in the papers constantly, I never remember reading something like this about Donald Trump.
I’m skeptical about that.. why/how would it never come to light.. or at least be gossiped about. And I lived and frequented places where I would have heard it.

As for his tape.. I won’t even begin to defend that.. but it is a far cry from the admissions/accusations on Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose. They were words between two men.. the other men took actions that we know hold some truth to them.

If “we” or the “media” are going to claim that women are enabling sexual assault/harassment, then we should be a little more sure that the claims are true.
I agree with you in that I think that all claims should be investigated and I don't subscribe to the idea that automatic guilt be assigned to everyone that is accused. However, in Trump's case, there certainly is enough women claiming that they were assaulted, and enough corroborating witnesses involved for me to believe that there should at least be a formal investigation into these matters. It's not like we are talking about the kind of accidental contact that happens from time to time. That sort of thing has probably happened to most of us. In fact, just yesterday, as I was walking across the gym through a crowd of middle schoolers during recess, one of my seventh grade girls ran up to me from behind and ran right into my hand as it was swinging backwards as my arm does when I walk. I don't know exactly where my and hit her, but I can tell you that I about experienced a heart attack at the time when I looked back to see who my hand bumped into and realized it was a female. All I need is for a child to claim I touched her inappropriately and get investigated for it. I thank God there was a camera pointed directly at us which would prove that I was walking away from her and obviously didn't try to make contact with her. Anyway, she asked me her question and then happily skipped away so she may not have even felt the contact for all I know and even if she did, it apparently didn't phase her. Anyway, I would hate to think what could have happened to me personally if she had thought I was being inappropriate, even with the camera evidence that I did nothing intentionally. I would have still been investigated if she would have made a claim and my life would have been turned upside down. Stuff like that happens. But the claims against these men, Trump included are definitely more than accidental contact in my mind. We have more than just the words of one or two women. There are reasons to believe that an investigation is in order (imo) and I think the day will come when President Trump will be formally investigated. I think it's only a matter of time.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There is absolutely a difference between being accused and actually being guilty. Nobody should automatically be presumed guilty based on accusation alone. However, you can't dismiss acussations against some and not others. There are others mentioned in that article that have little more than accusations against them and you don't seem to be jumping to defend them or to criticize the article for mentioning their names. In the case of trump there is more than just an accusation. Not saying that makes him guilty. But the line between him and the others is much finer than you want to imply.

Bingo

LAKid53

Premium Member
I agree with you in that I think that all claims should be investigated and I don't subscribe to the idea that automatic guilt be assigned to everyone that is accused. However, in Trump's case, there certainly is enough women claiming that they were assaulted, and enough corroborating witnesses involved for me to believe that there should at least be a formal investigation into these matters. It's not like we are talking about the kind of accidental contact that happens from time to time. That sort of thing has probably happened to most of us. In fact, just yesterday, as I was walking across the gym through a crowd of middle schoolers during recess, one of my seventh grade girls ran up to me from behind and ran right into my hand as it was swinging backwards as my arm does when I walk. I don't know exactly where my and hit her, but I can tell you that I about experienced a heart attack at the time when I looked back to see who my hand bumped into and realized it was a female. All I need is for a child to claim I touched her inappropriately and get investigated for it. I thank God there was a camera pointed directly at us which would prove that I was walking away from her and obviously didn't try to make contact with her. Anyway, she asked me her question and then happily skipped away so she may not have even felt the contact for all I know and even if she did, it apparently didn't phase her. Anyway, I would hate to think what could have happened to me personally if she had thought I was being inappropriate, even with the camera evidence that I did nothing intentionally. I would have still been investigated if she would have made a claim and my life would have been turned upside down. Stuff like that happens. But the claims against these men, Trump included are definitely more than accidental contact in my mind. We have more than just the words of one or two women. There are reasons to believe that an investigation is in order (imo) and I think the day will come when President Trump will be formally investigated. I think it's only a matter of time.

And the women who've accused him tell similar stories about what they experienced. And it aligns with the behaviors of others accused of harassment.

LAKid53

Premium Member
For me, having lived in Palm Beach County until 2013.. I know how gossipy Palm Beach is.. our news and newspapers are such a joke compared to most other cities. So many articles of powerful man who cheated on their wives or sexually harassed someone or accused of doing is such were in the papers constantly, I never remember reading something like this about Donald Trump.
I’m skeptical about that.. why/how would it never come to light.. or at least be gossiped about. And I lived and frequented places where I would have heard it.

As for his tape.. I won’t even begin to defend that.. but it is a far cry from the admissions/accusations on Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose. They were words between two men.. the other men took actions that we know hold some truth to them.

If “we” or the “media” are going to claim that women are enabling sexual assault/harassment, then we should be a little more sure that the claims are true.

Just because you've not heard any "gossip", doesn't mean it didn't happen.

bclane

And the women who've accused him tell similar stories about what they experienced. And it aligns with the behaviors of others accused of harassment.
Exactly. I will admit that I am biased, and I do give the benefit of the doubt to any person (male or female) making an accusation against someone else of this nature, but this doesn't mean I don't also believe in due process. When I say that I give the benefit of the doubt to these folks, what I mean is I am not going to ever just brush off their claims. There always needs to be follow through. The claims need to be investigated. Support needs to be given. Appropriate authorities/agencies/parents/etc need to be informed.

I still remember when it came out that a couple of my friends were repeatedly sexually assaulted by a teacher at our school when I was a kid. These young men did report this to administration and in response, the school covered it up and simply reassigned the teacher to another location. I don't even think it was reported to the police. Thank God things at least seem to be moving in the right direction now, with these kinds of cases.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Exactly. I will admit that I am biased, and I do give the benefit of the doubt to any person (male or female) making an accusation against someone else of this nature, but this doesn't mean I don't also believe in due process. When I say that I give the benefit of the doubt to these folks, what I mean is I am not going to ever just brush off their claims. There always needs to be follow through. The claims need to be investigated. Support needs to be given. Appropriate authorities/agencies/parents/etc need to be informed.

I still remember when it came out that a couple of my friends were repeatedly sexually assaulted by a teacher at our school when I was a kid. These young men did report this to administration and in response, the school covered it up and simply reassigned the teacher to another location. I don't even think it was reported to the police. Thank God things at least seem to be moving in the right direction now, with these kinds of cases.

Thank god for that.

One of my daughter's boyfriends was abused by his step brother As a young child. Thankfully, his parents believed him and threw the older kid out of the house. But the younger son never received any counseling, nor were his step brother's crimes reported. Really messed him up.

bclane

One take on how to stop such behavior....

The price of sexual harassment should be ruin
http://wapo.st/2Ak7cRz
Interesting article. The only counterpoint I'd make in is that a lot of innocent employees would be out of a job if the companies themselves were ruined, and so I wouldn't want to go that far..but otherwise, an interesting take on the matter.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Interesting article. The only counterpoint I'd make in is that a lot of innocent employees would be out of a job if the companies themselves were ruined, and so I wouldn't want to go that far..but otherwise, an interesting take on the matter.

I'm in agreement with you. But, sadly, for many companies, the only way to change their corporate culture is to hit them hard in the pocket book.

bclane

Thank god for that.

One of my daughter's boyfriends was abused by his step brother As a young child. Thankfully, his parents believed him and threw the older kid out of the house. But the younger son never received any counseling, nor were his step brother's crimes reported. Really messed him up.
That is a shame. I know that with regards to my own daughter, we initially had her meet with a psychiatrist a couple times and then two different psychologists but she rejected counseling altogether. She just refused and we were basically told that the best thing for her, regarding professional counseling, would be to to just make sure she knew that it was available to her if she ever decided that she wanted it. We did report everything to the police, but that turned out to be a nightmare, and I think it may actually have something to do with why she has always refused counseling. Long story, but the normal people that dealt with sex crimes against children were not in the building at the time we were at the police station and the person that did interview my daughter made us wait in a different room while they did it, even though she was screaming bloody murder for us the whole time. That whole experience definitely made her fear the police station for a really long time. Fortunately we were able to easily get a restraining order to keep her attacker away, but then his family retaliated by trying to bring charges and a restraining order against me for supposedly making death threats against their son (which I did not do) and they managed to turn a bunch of my friends from church against us for a time until the guy publicly admitted everything. What a nightmare. Anyway, that is part of the reason I will ALWAYS give the victim the benefit of the doubt.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That is a shame. I know that with regards to my own daughter, we initially had her meet with a psychiatrist a couple times and then two different psychologists but she rejected counseling altogether. She just refused and we were basically told that the best thing for her, regarding professional counseling, would be to to just make sure she knew that it was available to her if she ever decided that she wanted it. We did report everything to the police, but that turned out to be a nightmare, and I think it may actually have something to do with why she has always refused counseling. Long story, but the normal people that dealt with sex crimes against children were not in the building at the time we were at the police station and the person that did interview my daughter made us wait in a different room while they did it, even though she was screaming bloody murder for us the whole time. That whole experience definitely made her fear the police station for a really long time. Fortunately we were able to easily get a restraining order to keep her attacker away, but then his family retaliated by trying to bring charges and a restraining order against me for supposedly making death threats against their son (which I did not do) and they managed to turn a bunch of my friends from church against us for a time until the guy publicly admitted everything. What a nightmare. Anyway, that is part of the reason I will ALWAYS give the victim the benefit of the doubt.

And your heartbreaking story is why many don't report. I'm so sorry for what your family, especially your daughter, has gone through.

Nj4mwc

I'm from Jersey and ever since I was a kid in the 80s I have known who Trump is and the papers generally reported that he was a rich piece of crap who was horrible towards women, he was always in the gossip columns of every paper about his marriages who he was dating, his latest Howard stern appearances. His statements on Stern alone would be enough for any other politician to have to resign. And even though he was reported as a womanizing piece of garbage he was still a big time celebrity but times change and he is the most powerful man in the free world, does a lot to help him not have to face his accusers

bclane

And your heartbreaking story is why many don't report. I'm so sorry for what your family, especially your daughter, has gone through.
Thanks for your kind words. And it's true. A lot of families just give up and don't follow through as it's just too difficult and heart wrenching to fight back. Good people everywhere need to stand up and advocate for and support victims whenever they can. What happened to my baby girl was horrifying, but a lot of people suffer much worse than what she had to endure.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks for your kind words. And it's true. A lot of families just give up and don't follow through as it's just too difficult and heart wrenching to fight back. Good people everywhere need to stand up and advocate for and support victims whenever they can. What happened to my baby girl was horrifying, but a lot of people suffer much worse than what she had to endure.

I know how you feel. In discussing Lauer's firing with my daughter on Wednesday, she finally told me she was raped at gunpoint...at the age of 13. The guy told her he knew where she lived and he's kill us all if she told. This was around the time my mother died and I attributed her problems with that - she and my mom were very close. We even went to counseling because she was having problems and clearly depressed. Which I thought was grief over my mom's death. She never confided to the therapist what happened. But she finally, on her own, years later, saw a therapist. Thank God.

The guilt I fell that 1) I couldn't protect my daughter from this monster and 2) I didn't recognize what was really going on with her has resulted in several sleepless nights. It took all my self control to not crash the car when she told me - I was that shocked, upset and angry, at him and me.

So not only was I assaulted as a 19 year old college freshman, I find out my daughter was raped..at gunpoint. Yes, people, it's that pervasive.....

Pixieish

I know how you feel. In discussing Lauer's firing with my daughter on Wednesday, she finally told me she was raped at gunpoint...at the age of 13. The guy told her he knew where she lived and he's kill us all if she told. This was around the time my mother died and I attributed her problems with that - she and my mom were very close. We even went to counseling because she was having problems and clearly depressed. Which I thought was grief over my mom's death. She never confided to the therapist what happened. But she finally, on her own, years later, saw a therapist. Thank God.

The guilt I fell that 1) I couldn't protect my daughter from this monster and 2) I didn't recognize what was really going on with her has resulted in several sleepless nights. It took all my self control to not crash the car when she told me - I was that shocked, upset and angry, at him and me.

So not only was I assaulted as a 19 year old college freshman, I find out my daughter was raped..at gunpoint. Yes, people, it's that pervasive.....
That's so horrible!!! I'm so sorry for your daughter, but glad she got help and finally felt able to tell you about it.

I was a VERY stupid and rebellious teenager due to my dad having a terminal disease and my mother going completely off the deep end and basically abandoning us for booze and drugs...I consider myself lucky to be alive after some of the situations I ended up in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom