News Lasseter taking leave of absence

bclane

I'm right there with you on all points. I sure as heck wouldn't want him back, and I'm not easily offended, I forgive easily, and I am not even put off by most stuff, but he crossed the line in some pretty major ways and continued to do so even though I'd almost bet money that AT LEAST one woman reacted in a way that said "what the hell?!?"
Same here.

SorcererMC

I dunno. In six months, all of this will have blown over and we'll be on to the next scandal du jour. That's the world we live in. ...and JL is probably the "most valuable" employee of The Mouse now, and ever since the Pixar/Disney marriage. The guy has not raped anyone, gotten naked or been accused of anything approaching it. He'll be back.

I have to ask - do you work for TWDC?
You have a right to your opinion, but I think you are misreading the situation, from a risk management perspective.

A senior executive who reports directly to the CEO (of a Dow 30 company) has allegedly engaged in a pattern of behavioral misconduct, known to his supervisor (CEO), and is taking voluntarily leave, (ie not facing disciplinary action), and potentially may resume his leadership position, aka be in a position to retaliate.

This is also a leadership and corporate governance issue ("A fish rots from its head").
Provided the allegations are accurate, TWDC is in hot water here and they know it.
As to Disney's 'no comment' position - their silence speaks volumes.

ETA: All TWDC would have to do is release a statement saying that they take allegations of sexual harassment policy violations seriously, or that their policies are under review, which neither confirms nor denies that Lasseter is under investigation. They haven't. Interesting choice.

Last edited:
You have a right to your opinion, but I think you are misreading the situation, from a risk management perspective.

A senior executive who reports directly to the CEO (of a Dow 30 company) has allegedly engaged in a pattern of behavioral misconduct, known to his supervisor (CEO), and is taking voluntarily leave, (ie not facing disciplinary action), and potentially may resume his leadership position, aka be in a position to retaliate.

This is also a leadership and corporate governance issue ("A fish rots from its head").
Provided the allegations are accurate, TWDC is in hot water here and they know it.

ETA: All TWDC would have to do is release a statement saying that they take allegations of sexual harassment policy violations seriously, or that their policies are under review, which neither confirms nor denies that Lasseter is under investigation. They haven't. Interesting choice.

HA. No. No connection to The Mouse - other than sending him lots of money. :)

I think a lot of these guys that have done worse things (Lauer, Weinstein, Franken, Moore, Clinton) will be right back in a saddle (if not THE) in six to twelve months. That will certainly ease the return for a minor offender like Lasseter - who has made TWDC billions of dollars in the past 20 years.

And really, shouldn't he get another chance? He has offended a handful of people. He hasn't hurt anyone. I think his value vs. his crimes is an easy case for second chance.

bclane

And really, shouldn't he get another chance? He has offended a handful of people. He hasn't hurt anyone. I think his value vs. his crimes is an easy case for second chance.
That is the part you get completely wrong. He has hurt people. You clearly have NO idea what sexual assault and workplace intimidation do to a person.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Probably because JL 'has the goods' on other offenders higher up on the corporate food chain.

Otherwise he'd be out the door with a terse statement from Disney Legal.

No matter what he's finished as a Disney employee.

bclane

<sigh> He hasn't been accused of sexual assault or workplace intimidation.
According to the United States Department of Justice, sexual assault is “any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient.” Now I admit that term is debatable in it's use and varies by state, but I would define grabbing woman, touching their inner thighs and kissing them on the mouth without their consent as sexual assault. Maybe that's just my opinion, and I'm completely wrong about that, but I doubt it. Further, he has been accused of repeatedly making comments to women about their "physical attributes". I'd need more information to properly classify that in my mind, but whatever it is, it is behavior that is unbecoming of anyone, much less a supervisor. Anyway, the fact that he was doing this to other employees as their superior would not only be humiliating for them but imo is workplace intimidation.

bclane

Read an interesting article on CNN, re: how some women enable this behaviour. Really thought provoking, especially in light of comments from Matt Lauer's co-workers.
Ok just read it. Yes, it was very thought provoking, thanks for reminding me about the article. I think it must be something within our natures to want to defend the accused. I see myself doing this all the time with my students when I hear another teacher accuse one of my kiddos of cheating or misbehaving. I know that isn’t a perfect analogy, but I know that it is a powerful instinct to want to support those that we care about even in the face of very convincing accusations. I’m not sure what the solution to that is, but I think that now that the flood gates have been opened, that at the very least people will begin to question their loyalty in these situations. I’m hopeful that things will be better going forward, but I also know that this is just the beginning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom