News Lasseter taking leave of absence

TwilightZone

do people read the entire thread in detail anymore? hate to be rude, but really, it's getting annoying. :mad:
edit: I feel like this thread has become a parrot.
maxresdefault.jpg

Donaldfan1934

Exactly, which is why Lasseter is nearly completely unknown to the general public, unlike Harvey Weinstein who is a world-wide celebrity in his own right.
Ok, there was one thing I felt I needed to clarify, but couldn't find a way to fit it in naturally. Some of us, like yourself, do get it, but often encounter pitfalls even if they don't directly relate to Disney. Prior to the scandal, I've never once heard everyday people drop Weinstien's name in casual conversation like they would Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow, George Clooney, Ben Affleck, or most of the other people who were seen with him on the red carpet. Yes, I knew who he was and even heard rumblings about him being a creep, but I (like most of us on here) am more observant of certain cultural figures even if I don't take particular interest in what they do or in Weinstien's case, most of the movies he backed. To put it simply, we're all at least a little bit nerdy here and even if we're not follower of someone/something, we typically have at least a better passing awareness of them/it than a sizable percentage of general public who doesn't know jack about anything.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

I understand some people are going to see it that way. But saying was likely largely ignorant isn't a defense, in my opinion.

Can you please show me the link to where someone has said he put their hands "up their skirt"? Because I haven't seen it. What I have seen is that he had his hands on women's legs. The most I can find is that someone said they thought he might, which is a terrible feeling I am sure, but I am seeing people say that and I can't find it myself. It's just difficult to tell via what I am reading in actual articles versus the claims in this thread. I'm going by the articles I find.

What I have found (in the article cited above) that they "cropped photos from actual company events" - posed photographs - because they felt his hands were inappropriately positioned. That makes me think he was more ignorant than some closet sexual predator. That doesn't excuse his behavior or mean he shouldn't be held accountable for it, but just really goes to the lengths people would go to hide it - it seems from him, too.

I really have no horse in this race - like I have said, I couldn't have picked the guy out of a line-up before this happened. I'm just trying to parse the facts from the very emotional responses.
I clicked on your link and no article came up, so I don't know what it was. This is what I'm referring to, from the Hollywood reporter article.

A longtime insider says he saw a woman seated next to Lasseter in a meeting that occurred more than 15 years ago. "She was bent over and [had her arm] across her thigh," he says. "The best I can describe it is as a defensive posture ... John had his hand on her knee, though, moving around." After that encounter, this person asked the woman about what he had seen. "She said it was unfortunate for her to wear a skirt that day and if she didn't have her hand on her own right leg, his hand would have traveled."

The article also refers to him kissing employees on the lips if they weren't fast enough to turn their head. Again, kissing on the lips is not something I believe most 60 year olds are walking around believing is acceptable behavior by a boss.

SorcererMC

But saying was likely largely ignorant isn't a defense, in my opinion.
A legal defense rests on ignorance that the conduct was "unwelcome", ie it is difficult for an employee to claim harassment if they did not let the person know it was unwelcome, neither avoided the behavior nor registered a complaint. The caveat on reporting is if someone else witnessed the behavior, eg another supervisor or mgmt.

In Lasseter's case, ignorance is not credible. He was a supervisor, which would increase the employer's vicarious liability (clarified under two 1998 SCOTUS cases, see EEOC), thus he should have been more cognizant of his behavior, not less. See also the 1986 SCOTUS landmark case Meritor Savings Bank v Vinson, which upheld the Court of Appeals finding that an employer is absolutely liable for sexual harassment by supervisory personnel, whether or not the employer knew or should have known about it.

His age has nothing to do with it, other than the fact that sexual harassment has been illegal for the entirety of Lasseter's professional career - sexual harassment falls under sex discrimination, prohibited by Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

And the stuff he is being accused of, really has only been considered "sexual harassment" for an even shorter period of time. "Sexual harassment" wasn't even a term until the 80's, and even into the 90's it was "if you sleep with me, you can keep your job". A hand on the knee wasn't considered a "violation", especially if the recipient doesn't move away or say "please don't do that".
Per Title VII 1964 Civil Rights Act - two types of sexual harassment - (1) harassment that involves the conditioning of employment benefits on sexual favors, [quid pro quo] and (2) harassment that, while not affecting economic benefits, creates a hostile or offensive working environment.
You're right that a 'hand on the knee' one time, would not be considered a violation, because it's an isolated incident; repetitive incidents or a pattern of behavior would be. Therefore, 'the stuff he is being accused of' would be sexual harassment of the hostile workplace variety.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I realize he hasn't provided proof, but in my mind there's no need to what with what they're pulling when there isn't even a scandal going on - demanding the removal of statues, etc. etc.
No need for a compulsive liar to provide proof?

Cool.

Can I interest you in a great marketing opportunity?

SorcererMC

JL's situation isn't a witch-hunt because he's admitted what he did and that what he did was wrong in several articles already linked throughout this discussion.
I know this was talked about earlier in the thread, that he admitted wrongdoing. He did no such thing. He apologized to anyone who may have been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug, or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form.
As I described above, an isolated incident, such as a hug, in and of itself, would not likely be considered sexual harassment.
ETA: And note also that a hug is probably something he gave indiscriminately to men and women. Lasseter's statement serves one purpose - to prevent either himself or TWDC from being held liable.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

Matt Lauer was fired from NBC this morning.

(Tying this back into the OP, there was talk earlier of how Lasseter would be mentioned or part of this entire evolving story in Hollywood. His name doesn't appear in the NY Times article, or any of the articles I've seen on FB..even ones that mention the others who have been accused. It appears he's somewhat separated from the rest of this discussion).

crxbrett

You probably did read that, but that is why she had to issue this clarification:

“The breakneck speed at which journalists have been naming the next perpetrator renders some reporting irresponsible,” they said. “We did not leave Pixar because of unwanted advances. That is untrue. We parted ways because of creative and, more importantly, philosophical differences.

“There is so much talent at Pixar, and we remain enormous fans of their films,” they continued. “However, it is also a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice.”

Ms. Jones and Mr. McCormack concluded the statement by saying: “We encourage Pixar to be leaders in bolstering, hiring and promoting more diverse and female storytellers and leaders. We hope we can encourage all those who have felt like their voices could not be heard in the past to feel empowered.”

Ahh, well thank you for clarifying that. Sounds like they didn't like the environment at Pixar though.

He is still gone though. Too many accounts from women who worked there have said it was a bad atmosphere and he was known for being touchy-feely and a groper/squeezer.

I don't know if I am more disappointed hearing he was a slimeball or the fact that some on here are actually defending his actions and making up excuses for his conduct. I don't care what generation you are from - wrong is wrong. Yeah, you can say despicable behavior was socially acceptable 40 years ago. That does not make it right. Being horribly racist was also socially acceptable 50 years ago. Doesn't make any of it excusable or right just because it was considered normal at the time, though.

yeti

Matt Lauer was fired from NBC this morning.

(Tying this back into the OP, there was talk earlier of how Lasseter would be mentioned or part of this entire evolving story in Hollywood. His name doesn't appear in the NY Times article, or any of the articles I've seen on FB..even ones that mention the others who have been accused. It appears he's somewhat separated from the rest of this discussion).

Firing him preemptively to get ahead of the allegations is honestly a pretty sleazy move by NBC. For now I don't think he should be grouped in with the rest of the lot if we don't know the substance of these claims.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's odd, but I've never had to deal with the SJWs of which so many of you complain. I guess I'm too busy having to deal with the racist, homophobic, old men who dominate the area in which I live. ;)

Well up here in farm country, We have the Fundamentalist Bible thumpers who want to ban Harry Potter because it promotes 'witchcraft and sorcery' the usual suspects on Catcher in the Rye and now we have the SJW's trying to ban works by 'sexual deviants'

It will never make the news because the local library board is laughing their off at the attempt just like they laugh at the annual attempt to remove Harry Potter from the public library and the school libraries. It will come up at town meeting in march and we normals will vote hell no and have a good laugh at their expense.

But don't think the campaigns to remove works for all kinds or reasons don't exist and that was the point lost on the usual suspects.

Do remember that Sesame Street was banned in Missisippi for a while until the media had a good belly laugh at those behind that campaign and the public registered their disgust and reversed the ban.

https://www.cbr.com/tv-legends-revealed-did-mississippi-really-once-ban-sesame-street/

Pixieish

Well up here in farm country, We have the Fundamentalist Bible thumpers who want to ban Harry Potter because it promotes 'witchcraft and sorcery' the usual suspects on Catcher in the Rye and now we have the SJW's trying to ban works by 'sexual deviants'

It will never make the news because the local library board is laughing their *** off at the attempt just like they laugh at the annual attempt to remove Harry Potter from the public library and the school libraries. It will come up at town meeting in march and we normals will vote hell no and have a good laugh at their expense.

But don't think the campaigns to remove works for all kinds or reasons don't exist and that was the point lost on the usual suspects.
Yep, my mother is one of those bible thumpers against Harry Potter. Never mind the values it promotes or the morals the stories encompass.

Angel Ariel

Firing him preemptively to get ahead of the allegations is honestly a pretty sleazy move by NBC. For now I don't think he should be grouped in with the rest of the lot if we don't know the substance of these claims.

I very highly doubt they terminated him without some form of proof. The wrongfu termination suit he would file would cost them millions. That's not a step a company like NBC takes without reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom