News Lasseter taking leave of absence

seabreezept813

This whole situation with Lasseter is sad and unfortunate. Though I wouldn't put JL on the same level of Weinstein and Spacey. These guys appeared to engage in rape and pedophilia, which is a whole different type of evil.

What I'm confused about is why hasn't there been any accusations of famous, female sexual predators? As someone who works for the government, I have seen with my own eyes multiple instances of women sexually harassing men. It happens for sure, even in education. For example, the teacher who hooks up with her student. Or how about women harassing other women?

As a woman, I feel odd that I’ve been wondering the same thing. Why are we so quick to ignore how often women use sex and sexuality to get ahead? It feels like a major part of the equation is missing...

sedati

As a woman, I feel odd that I’ve been wondering the same thing. Why are we so quick to ignore how often women use sex and sexuality to get ahead? It feels like a major part of the equation is missing...

I think this is just where it's at right now. This is a widespread problem being looked at with a very specific focus- men in Government, Men in Hollywood. As stated, those are hardly the boundaries of this issue, but it does grab attention and headlines more than others. The downside seems to be some thinking those specific realms are especially unique. Like you said, a major part of the equation is missing, but I don't think there's an article long enough to really sum up the extent to what is really such a simple problem. A significant portion of humans with any degree of power become either intentionally abusive or abusively obtuse. Not just sexually, but violently, or verbally as well. If we're entering a world where everyone gets called out on their BS, then I'm all for it, but it's going to take a long, long time to get all those calls in.

sedati

It's odd, but I've never had to deal with the SJWs of which so many of you complain. I guess I'm too busy having to deal with the racist, homophobic, old men who dominate the area in which I live. ;)
I have a boss who complains about being the only conservative in a sea of liberals. We had the opportunity to get pizza on the companies dime and he made a big deal of ordering from two towns away just so he could give Papa John's our money and support.

AEfx

I guess I'm too busy having to deal with the racist, homophobic, old men who dominate the area in which I live. ;)

Sorry to ask a personal question, but it is relevant to the topic - from your picture you appear white - can I ask if you are gay or not? I am. Just curious.

AEfx

Nope, just a straight ally. :)

Well, that largely explains why you don't see SJW culture the same, then. Particularly using the above verbiage.

It's mostly suburban, straight, white ladies who are telling everyone how oppressed they are, fighting on behalf of people who largely didn't ask to be defended in the first place, and are capable of fighting our own battles when indeed there are battles to be fought. There are degrees, and most mean well, but in reality they are just listing to the fringe of our "groups" on the internet who want attention, and they have been convinced that out of some combination of guilt and duty that we need help being "rescued".

Edit: Aside from its birthplace on college campuses, of course.

Last edited:

TeriofTerror

Well, that largely explains why you don't see SJW culture the same, then. Particularly using the above verbiage.

It's mostly suburban, straight, white ladies who are telling everyone how oppressed they are, and fighting on behalf of people who largely didn't ask to be defended in the first place, and are capable of fighting our own battles when indeed there are battles to be fought. There are degrees, and most mean well, but in reality they are just listing to the fringe of our "groups" on the internet who want attention, and have convinced them out of some combination of guilt and duty that we need help being "rescued".
I feel as though you are attempting to make a point ;), but my statement still stands. The soccer moms I know are definitely more the type to whine about SJWs than to be them.

Pixieish

It's mostly suburban, straight, white ladies who are telling everyone how oppressed they are, fighting on behalf of people who largely didn't ask to be defended in the first place, and are capable of fighting our own battles when indeed there are battles to be fought. There are degrees, and most mean well, but in reality they are just listing to the fringe of our "groups" on the internet who want attention, and they have been convinced that out of some combination of guilt and duty that we need help being "rescued".
Don't forget about the college students that won't listen to anyone and have no clue what consequences are.

AEfx

Don't forget about the college students that won't listen to anyone and have no clue what consequences are.

LOL, I added an edit to the bottom of my post a moment later to specify that - because of course, that is what birthed the movement - in my head it went without saying, but I forget where I am and that some people here really may not know these things.

But aside from them, every time I go on FB all I see are straight white "cis" ( :rolleyes: ) women telling me how oppressed I am, trying to tell me I should be living in fear as my life is in danger, people are out after me, beating up gay people in the streets, laws being passed that are going to put me in jail, etc. - and how they are going to "deal" with them and "fight" them on my behalf.

And I don't know what in hell they are talking about. ;)

Angel Ariel

I am not trying to justify it, either. I realize it may seem such, but I'm giving it context. There is a difference there. You aren't causing any argument, and I didn't post it to refute your feelings whatsoever - but you seem especially hurt by this, and I just wanted to present a different perspective for you to think about. It was reading your post that made me think about this differently, as I honestly had no idea how much some people admired him. So I thank you for that.

I know our culture today likes to be like a Disney film and paint everyone as a hero or a villain, but life isn't that simple. He's still the guy who made these movies that inspired you - he just had an aspect to his life that makes him a flawed man, like everyone else.

You say you aren’t trying to defend him, and yet that’s exactly what you’re doing. We aren’t talking just over zealous hugging here. I’m sure you’ll dismiss me too, since I’m not in that generation, but I *guarantee* you that if I went and asked my father if that behavior was ever acceptable in any workplace at any point in his years as an executive, he would absolutely say no. And he’s older than Lasseter, so by your “explanation,” he was in that era where that behavior was supposedly acceptable.

No, his actions don’t dampen his creative genius. No, I’m not a “SJW” out to scrub his existence from Disney or history. No matter what comes from this, his storytelling has been quite impactful..both to me personally, and to society as a whole. But to answer it with he just didn’t know any better because of his age? Bull. Are there men in that generation who acted that way? Obviously. Are there workplaces from that time where it was common? Again, I’m sure. Not debating that at all. Do I believe the majority of 60 year olds are walking around now thinking putting their hands up a woman’s skirt is OK because of their era? No. To write this off as he just didn’t know any better because of his age is just..wow.

AEfx

You say you aren’t trying to defend him, and yet that’s exactly what you’re doing.

I understand some people are going to see it that way. But saying was likely largely ignorant isn't a defense, in my opinion.

Do I believe the majority of 60 year olds are walking around now thinking putting their hands up a woman’s skirt is OK because of their era?

Can you please show me the link to where someone has said he put their hands "up their skirt"? Because I haven't seen it. What I have seen is that he had his hands on women's legs. The most I can find is that someone said they thought he might, which is a terrible feeling I am sure, but I am seeing people say that and I can't find it myself. It's just difficult to tell via what I am reading in actual articles versus the claims in this thread. I'm going by the articles I find.

What I have found (in the article cited above) that they "cropped photos from actual company events" - posed photographs - because they felt his hands were inappropriately positioned. That makes me think he was more ignorant than some closet sexual predator. That doesn't excuse his behavior or mean he shouldn't be held accountable for it, but just really goes to the lengths people would go to hide it - it seems from him, too.

I really have no horse in this race - like I have said, I couldn't have picked the guy out of a line-up before this happened. I'm just trying to parse the facts from the very emotional responses.

Hattieboxghost110

Here is another issue that is never discussed. Women falsely claiming sexual harassment in order to take down powerful people and advance their careers or exact revenge. I've not only seen it happen, but sadly it happened to someone very close to me. Honestly, I just hope this situation with JL isn't a witch hunt.

Here is only 1 of many stories...

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...an-contemplated-suicide-after-he-was-falsely/

the.dreamfinder

From Variety
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/disney-john-lasseter-harvey-weinstein-scandals-1202624219/
Disney declined to answer inquiries by Variety as to whether the company was paying for Lasseter’s leave of absence and whether the entertainment giant intended to launch a formal investigation into the accusations.

Sources told Variety that the executive’s behavior around young women has been known within the company since the 1990s. Whatever steps were taken to address it — which sources suggested included Disney having confronted Lasseter about the allegations — did not stop the complaints, which have continued until quite recently.

A former Pixar employee agreed, saying that CEO Bob Iger knew about a 2010 Oscar party where Lasseter was seen making out with a junior staffer.

“They’ve known for a long time,” the source said. “It has gone all the way to the top. I know personally that Bob was aware. … Everybody was aware. They just didn’t do anything about it.”

GlacierGlacier

Here is another issue that is never discussed. Women falsely claiming sexual harassment in order to take down powerful people and advance their careers or exact revenge. I've not only seen it happen, but sadly it happened to someone very close to me. Honestly, I just hope this situation with JL isn't a witch hunt.

Here is only 1 of many stories...

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...an-contemplated-suicide-after-he-was-falsely/
JL's situation isn't a witch-hunt because he's admitted what he did and that what he did was wrong in several articles already linked throughout this discussion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom