News Lasseter taking leave of absence

GlacierGlacier

Can Disney just finally make a disclaimer like how Warner Brothers did? If that day finally comes.
U8UZyVI.jpg
I like this. Simply releasing the original content without the appropriate context makes it seem like a company is behind or supporting of a subject or topic. Providing a statement to an existing piece like this did allows for the re-contextualizing how the company relates to the views and opinions in the work. There is no harm in adding further context, and it allows the viewer to learn from the prejudices of the past instead of wiping it away or ignoring it.

The Empress Lilly

You are talking two different things. In that extreme example, if it happened to your family personally, yes, I can see that would be an issue.

But if you want to start down this route, people would go far beyond molesters, and find a way to throw out 80%+ of all films and literature ever created - including absolutely everything with the Disney name. And you know what? The current SJW culture would *love* for that to happen.

It's very odd this new thing we have about judging art based on who created it. I see it in literary circles where the first question is not about the text anymore, but the author. This goes against pretty much the entire history of art and literary criticism.
I don't know if and I don't care if any SJW or whomever happens to share one point of view with me. ("Hitler, too, was a vegetarian...")

All I know is that I will not watch or admire the work of any rapist. If Lasseter is a drunk and a bully, then fine. If we are talking Weinstein or Polanski territory, then I throw out my blurays and will make a stink about Toy Story at guest services every time I set foot in DHS. Meanwhile, I'm aware that no such stories have emerged yet, and also that people are presumed innocent until etc.

njDizFan

I think there are 2 points that have not really been brought up in this thread that are important.

1) People are demonizing Hollywood as the main culprit of sexual impropriety. I think that is a false narrative. Sure I am positive it happens in Hollywood just as I am sure it happens just about everywhere. How many women have had a lecherous boss at McDonald's or the ABM of you local office is a known scum? This carries a wide swath across all lines of business. The reason we are seeing it mobile in the political and entertainment fields is because there is a larger platform. Hopefully the acknowledgement of these are actions associated with "popular" people will make this a realization to the whole of society.

2) People are lumping all these crimes and indiscretions as a single act. Like any crime there are layers and levels of illegality. It's not an accurate portrayal to lump in Weinstein and Franken. And just like every other case involved you have to take each act at it's own merits. Having 20+ accusations or rape is different then unwanted touching. And the level of acknowledgement and honestly by the predators does go a long way. An honest and clear validation of the accusers feelings as well as an honest apology will not change what happened but may ease the burden of the victims and that is a start.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You are talking two different things. In that extreme example, if it happened to your family personally, yes, I can see that would be an issue.

But if you want to start down this route, people would go far beyond molesters, and find a way to throw out 80%+ of all films and literature ever created - including absolutely everything with the Disney name. And you know what? The current SJW culture would *love* for that to happen.

It's very odd this new thing we have about judging art based on who created it. I see it in literary circles where the first question is not about the text anymore, but the author. This goes against pretty much the entire history of art and literary criticism.

Its not a new thing it used to happen in the old Soviet Union, and Communist China and is now beginning to happen in the US

Works are judged by how politically reliable the author is not by their content.

Pixieish

Its not a new thing it used to happen in the old Soviet Union, and Communist China and is now beginning to happen in the US

Works are judged by how politically reliable the author is not by their content.
And it's really sad to see that happening. Pick any author or artist throughout history, and I guarantee you could likely find some kind of dirt on every single one of them.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Now rumors are running rampant that it will never reopen as the "Hall of Presidents," and word is a Disney IP is to take over the theater. If you think for one second that a majority of WDI isn't politically biased then you are very naive.
Maybe Disney can take this time to convert it to "The Hall Of Disney Chief Executive Officers," replace all the presidents with likenesses of current and prior CEOs, and use that to illustrate the growth of The Walt Disney Company... that'll keep it non-political and informative all at the same time.

AEfx

Did you even read my comment? I said that I did NOT feel that way because of what's going one with Lasseter, but because I've always had the conviction that the movie itself was completely unnecessary from the day it was announced.

Yes, I wasn't arguing with you. Just building off of your comment.

WDWTank

Maybe Disney can take this time to convert it to "The Hall Of Disney Chief Executive Officers," replace all the presidents with likenesses of current and prior CEOs, and use that to illustrate the growth of The Walt Disney Company... that'll keep it non-political and informative all at the same time.
LOL The Simpsons Ride parodied this!! :D

Sped2424

While Lasseter hasn't been useful creatively since Cars Land opened, I really hope this is not a situation where i have to feel dirty for being a fan of Toy Story/Pixar. This has already been a bad enough year as a Disney Fan.
I wouldn't. Not a single animated film can ever be attributed to one person despite their direction or contributions. So nothing he has done will ever taint those films for me!

AEfx

Can Disney just finally make a disclaimer like how Warner Brothers did? If that day finally comes.

The truth about SotS is that it's not really a very good film to begin with.

Even aside from the objectionable content, it just wouldn't play well with most audiences, particularly the children it was created to appeal to. It just wouldn't be worth the hassle and the controversy. While I am a big advocate of historical preservation and availability of materials, the film is easily accessible to researchers (or anyone who is interested) via the Internet already.

It just doesn't make sense from any commercial or public relations standpoint.

the.dreamfinder

The truth about SotS is that it's not really a very good film to begin with.

Even aside from the objectionable content, it just wouldn't play well with most audiences, particularly the children it was created to appeal to. It just wouldn't be worth the hassle and the controversy. While I am a big advocate of historical preservation and availability of materials, the film is easily accessible to researchers (or anyone who is interested) via the Internet already.

It just doesn't make sense from any commercial or public relations standpoint.
Meh, the film attracts so much attention because it’s been “banned”. As you say, the film isn’t super notable beyond it being forbidden fruit.

A Criterion release aimed at adults and cinephiles would be enough to disarm the public’s fascination/feigned outrage over the film.

Arguably, “Dumbo” is a more racist film because “Song of the Roustabouts” compares PoC to apes and white people play the crows, who are coded black characters.

Last edited:

njDizFan

Quite a few of the early Disney features have some cringe worthy moments. Dumbo, Peter Pan and Pinocchio specifically. I allow my kids to watch these films but often just take a quick pause after specific scenes to explain the historical context. Censoring or pretending this type of thinking did not exist is not the right way to go about parenting if you want to raise a free thinking person. But allowing your kids to watch these older films and cartoons(even Loony Toons) without giving them any perspective can be contradictory to a young mind.

Sorry for the continuation of this thread drift.

AEfx

Meh, the film attracts so much attention because it’s been “banned”. As you say, the film isn’t super notable beyond it being forbidden fruit.

A Criterion release aimed at adults and cinephiles would be enough to disarm the public’s fascination/feigned outrage over the film.

That's just it, though - I don't think there is any public demand of note. It's just something discussed among Disney fans online.

That said, I can kind of (sort of) see them offering it on a limited basis on their streaming service, since I am sure they will be mining the vaults of everything they can muster. With a bunch of historical disclaimers and parental verification, of course.

Arguably, “Dumbo” is a more racist film because “Song of the Roustabouts” compares PoC to apes and white people play the crows, who are coded black characters.

Please don't give the SJW's any ideas...although it would be funny to see if they would demand that the crows be redubbed or removed totally. LOL.

Though, that said - the problem with SotS is really the tone of the entire thing. And the Uncle Remus concepts themselves. Even just the way it is shot - example, the live-action was lit for lighter skin which makes those with darker skin almost look like caricatures. (Incidentally, that's why light skinned people looked so terrible on the Oprah show, LOL. Different hues of skin just absorb and refract light differently, it's very difficult to light both in equally pleasing ways at the same time.)

WDWTank

While Lasseter hasn't been useful creatively since Cars Land opened, I really hope this is not a situation where i have to feel dirty for being a fan of Toy Story/Pixar. This has already been a bad enough year as a Disney Fan.
Toy Story was my favorite movie growing up as a kid. But Buzz was my favorite character and ride. I would ride the ride again and again, and again, and again :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom