News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Magenta Panther

Very sad news.

Compare it to a conversation Walt Disney once had with one of his animators. They were at the Disney studios one weekend and the subject of the proclivities of some of the other animators came up. Walt was distressed to discover that they spent much of their off-studio time chasing women. "You know, I just don't get that," Walt told his friend. "It's like women are their hobby."

AEfx

Innocent until proven guilty applies only to criminal defense.

And I'd advise against using "false allegations" as a defense on these topics...that has been a standard defense of abusers - one notably in the press right now - for centuries and it puts too much burden on those that are usually legitimate victims.

And "innocent until proven guilty" came because for centuries "mob rule" was the norm and it's simply not a way for a civilized society to be run.

This "watershed" moment is already starting to backfire. People who are otherwise sympathetic are just starting to roll their eyes now with each new allegation. No one will argue that this behavior is "right" or "good" or that it should not stop, but the general public is just getting desensitized to the outrage machine. Particularly now that it's hitting on both sides of the political aisles, and in many cases we have moved from rape and actual sexual assaults to words and what previously would have just been called "slimy" behavior. While again, no one thinks anything being reported is "right" - there is also a stark difference between "I was sexually assaulted" and "this person made me uncomfortable".

In this case, most people in the general public don't even know who the hell John Lassater is. I see people kvetching about Coco, but who knows how it will really end up doing - it's a really strange concept for a movie and we will have to see if the public embraces it or not. In any case, I don't think its performance will have anything to do with this - the general public who sees these films likely aren't going to be affected by his status as an executive producer.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have no doubt that most, if not all, of those accusing JL of inappropriate behavior are telling the truth. I do like to subscribe to the "Trust, but verify" approach on most things, though, and this situation is no different. It's sad but there will be a few who are looking for a payout from this, so trust but verify any claims. That being said... Lasseter is done. I don't see any way back from this for him.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And "innocent until proven guilty" came because for centuries "mob rule" was the norm and it's simply not a way for a civilized society to be run.

This "watershed" moment is already starting to backfire. People who are otherwise sympathetic are just starting to roll their eyes now with each new allegation. No one will argue that this behavior is "right" or "good" or that it should not stop, but the general public is just getting desensitized to the outrage machine. Particularly now that it's hitting on both sides of the political aisles, and in many cases we have moved from rape and actual sexual assaults to words and what previously would have just been called "slimy" behavior. While again, no one thinks anything being reported is "right" - there is also a stark difference between "I was sexually assaulted" and "this person made me uncomfortable".

In this case, most people in the general public don't even know who the hell John Lassater is. I see people kvetching about Coco, but who knows how it will really end up doing - it's a really strange concept for a movie and we will have to see if the public embraces it or not. In any case, I don't think its performance will have anything to do with this - the general public who sees these films likely aren't going to be affected by his status as an executive producer.

I can't say I disagree with any of this...

...and why earlier I said I can see this movement dying out quickly...

The reality is we are a frivolous people...and spoiled to only think about what we want.

I've watched for years: a discussion about which rooms to ask for at port Orleans will ramble on indefinitely...
...but discussing the longterm pricing dynamic/trends from the strategic perspective - which affects us all - is too "heavy" and "brings people down"...

Frivolity in the drivers seat.

rob0519

How many of you members hope Iger has done skeletons in his closet too LOL!!!!!! :)

As much as I disagree with many of his business decisions, I hope Iger is as pure as the driven snow when it comes to harassment accusations. It would mean countless any number of additional women were not harassed or demeaned in the industry. So hoping Iger has harassed women as a way to get rid of him is completely tasteless and insensitive. And, no the smiley face at the end of the comment doesn't make it funny.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't want iger to be brought down by scandal...

I just want him to be ejected from the dwarf building for the sake of change or finally pull the ripcord on the parachute he's obsessed with...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I can't say I disagree with any of this...

...and why earlier I said I can see this movement dying out quickly...

The reality is we are a frivolous people...and spoiled to only think about what we want.

I've watched for years: a discussion about which rooms to ask for at port Orleans will ramble on indefinitely...
...but discussing the longterm pricing dynamic/trends from the strategic perspective - which affects us all - is too "heavy" and "brings people down"...

Frivolity in the drivers seat.

Amen, brother, amen.

Nemo14

As much as I disagree with many of his business decisions, I hope Iger is as pure as the driven snow when it comes to harassment accusations. It would mean countless any number of additional women were not harassed or demeaned in the industry. So hoping Iger has harassed women as a way to get rid of him is completely tasteless and insensitive. And, no the smiley face at the end of the comment doesn't make it funny.
I'm not sure that Iger can truthfullyclaim that he didn't know anything about this, but he'll probably get a pass for that.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

If certain reports are true, Iger and others in executive positions at TWDC knew about what had gone on with Lasseter. If proven to be true, that will be damning information.

MerlinTheGoat

Innocent until proven guilty applies only to criminal defense.

It does not cover the right if employers to dismiss based on misconduct or in many case - the perception of misconduct.

I'm sure there are clauses in lasseter's contract...so if he's terminated, rest assured that clause kicks in.

And I'd advise using "false allegations" as a defense on these topics...that has been a standard defense of abusers - one notably in the press right now - for centuries and it puts too much burden on those that are usually legitimate victims.
I won't censor myself about "false allegations" and I don't care who else uses it. It's not made-up and there are a few rather widely known cases of people who have gotten caught for falsely accusing people. In not so open and shut cases as we've witnessed lately (where guilt is either proven or at least pointing towards that direction), it's a horrible idea to automatically assume guilt. This doesn't mean we should all automatically assume the accused is outright innocent either, and the accuser should also have support and not be under attack either without cause (something that also unfortunately happens when people act like a mob). It's simply important not to jump to conclusions and stir up witch hunts, it leads to very bad things. I'm sorry if anyone finds my comments upsetting.

That said, it's pointless to argue about it in this instance as none of that applies here. I've made it abundantly clear that relying on criminal proceeding to determine Lasseter's guilt is unnecessary. Lasseter admitted his guilt outright. I can't see how this could possibly be spun as a false allegation when the man confessed... My biggest concern is that Disney may try to sweep this story under the rug until the media moves on to something else, put him on his "sabbatical" for a few months and quietly reinstate him in his same position with no consequences. They've been doing some very unethical things to try to control the media recently. If Disney had any actual backbone, they'd fire him for this. But he's a massive financial asset to them, and corporate greed far outweighs justice.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

If certain reports are true, Iger and others in executive positions at TWDC knew about what had gone on with Lasseter. If proven to be true, that will be damning information.
They knew...and did nothing...wonder if it was the position of power that JL was in that had anything to do with that IF it's true (that's a big IF)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And expose both the corporation, and them personally, to liability for any allegation of harassment.

Yep. Things could and probably will get worse before they get better. And I'll publicly ask a serious question - In light of current circumstances, will Iger even make it to the end of his contract now? I guess it may depend on how far up the corporate food chain things go. If they hit the BoD... all bets are off on who survives.

KBLovedDisney

Yep. Things could and probably will get worse before they get better. And I'll publicly ask a serious question - In light of current circumstances, will Iger even make it to the end of his contract now?
Wait, I must have missed this. Did Iger know? Or is it a current rumor that he might have known?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not sure that Iger can truthfullyclaim that he didn't know anything about this, but he'll probably get a pass for that.

Iger won't get an ounce of grief for this...he's shielded enough to avoid it...one would think. And this isn't a criminal proceeding...disney really isn't under obligation to self implicate their management here.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I won't censor myself about "false allegations" and I don't care who else uses it. It's not made-up and there are a few rather widely known cases of people who have gotten caught for falsely accusing people. In not so open and shut cases as we've witnessed lately (where guilt is either proven or at least pointing towards that direction), it's a horrible idea to automatically assume guilt. This doesn't mean we should all automatically assume the accused is outright innocent either, and the accuser should also have support and not be under attack either without cause (something that also unfortunately happens when people act like a mob). It's simply important not to jump to conclusions and stir up witch hunts, it leads to very bad things.

That said, it's pointless to argue about it in this instance. I've made it abundantly clear that relying on criminal proceeding to determine Lasseter's guilt is unnecessary. Lasseter admitted his guilt outright. This is NOT a false allegation. My biggest concern is that Disney may try to sweep this story under the rug until the media moves on to something else, put him on his "sabbatical" for a few years and quietly reinstate him in his same position with no consequences. They've been doing some very unethical things to try to control the media recently. If Disney had any actual backbone, they'd fire him for this. But he's a massive financial asset to them, and corporate greed far outweighs justice.

I would hope both Legal and PR would convince Disney of their error in doing so. Look what happened to Weinstein's company. It's dead. Now, I realize Disney is huge compared to Weinstein. But for a company that has a history - and prides itself on that history - of family friendly entertainment to rehire Lasseter could be corporate suicide.

Nemo14

Yep. Things could and probably will get worse before they get better. And I'll publicly ask a serious question - In light of current circumstances, will Iger even make it to the end of his contract now? I guess it may depend on how far up the corporate food chain things go. If they hit the BoD... all bets are off on who survives.

Iger won't get an ounce of grief for this...he's shielded enough to avoid it...one would think. And this isn't a criminal proceeding...disney really isn't under obligation to self implicate their management here.

But if there is more to the story or if others have behaved in a similar manner with Iger's knowledge, maybe we should be preparing for his Going-Away (Finally) Party!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom