News Lasseter taking leave of absence

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If an online course, HR does monitor and will insure ALL employees take the course. Our director repeatedly complained that "HR was on my rear" for him to complete the course. He only did when his boss, who HR reported to, got on his case. And this guy needed the training, trust me.... Harassing female staff wasn't the only offense he was guilty of.
That was my point -- power will take advantage of power. Unless the head of HR has the guts to hold executive feet to the fire, then there's always someone who won't complete the training.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That was my point -- power will take advantage of power. Unless the head of HR has the guts to hold executive feet to the fire, then there's always someone who won't complete the training.

Fortunately, our VP of Administration held everyone's feet to the fire. Even our jerk of a director.

Alice a

Haha, there are not enough hours in the day to cover those industries. The phrase Quid pro quo with its current nuanced usage has been around since the 16th century. Which group of camp followers would it apply to? Groupies who just want to be near or "with" (I'll leave it that ambiguous) or those seeking an advantage, financing, introductions, or employment not based on merit alone.

I may be taking this the wrong way, but your 'camp followers' comment bothers me a little and highlights exactly what is wrong with the system.

As someone who started out working for a merch company on summer breaks for the good money and worked my way up to backline and eventually Suntrust Music Industry in Nashville (until the 2008 mortgage collapse), I realize I'm not the norm, but that's pretty sad.

Just because I was female, small (shorter than 5 feet, less than 100lbs) and not glaringly unattractive, the first thought shouldn't be easy prey, especially when you consider my laminate, ear bud/walkie talkie, and standard uniform of dark jeans and tshirts/hoodie.

Caveat- I wrote my undergrad thesis on the role of women in the music industry, partially based on first-hand experience. What particularly bothered me was that there are plenty of heterosexual male fans that follow bands, but any female who does it is instantly labeled a groupie and fair game.

Angel Ariel

So was it because he was really really touchy feely? Or....is there a lot more coming out we haven't heard. If it's because he was "Touchy Feely" , we have all had friends like this. Yeah....they can make you feel uncomfortable but couldn't someone have said something? Taken it up the company ladder so the CEO could have told him to stop with the long hugs, stair downs, rubbing of legs. They could have been...., "John? What the F man! Knock off the touchy feely stuff, women are complaining. You are becoming known for it." But...no one told him? Ever?
Kind of seems unfair if this was the first time he was confronted. He might have honestly thought he wasn't doing anything wrong.

Again....only implies if he was just "touchy feely", if he was a sexual predator then I take back what I'm saying. I have a feeling it was more and I'm sure information will start pouring out.

No saying being "Touch Feely" is right, I can't stand it. But it is also something that can be easily addressed. Why did everyone just let it happen? Sounds like it was a running joke at Disney for 2 decades. Again....TWO DECADES!

"Easily addressed" as you put it can also be easily dismissed as not a big deal.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I may be taking this the wrong way, but your 'camp followers' comment bothers me a little and highlights exactly what is wrong with the system.

As someone who started out working for a merch company on summer breaks for the good money and worked my way up to backline and eventually Suntrust Music Industry in Nashville (until the 2008 mortgage collapse), I realize I'm not the norm, but that's pretty sad.

Just because I was female, small (shorter than 5 feet, less than 100lbs) and not glaringly unattractive, the first thought shouldn't be easy prey, especially when you consider my laminate, ear bud/walkie talkie, and standard uniform of dark jeans and tshirts/hoodie.

Caveat- I wrote my undergrad thesis on the role of women in the music industry, partially based on first-hand experience. What particularly bothered me was that there are plenty of heterosexual male fans that follow bands, but any female who does it is instantly labeled a groupie and fair game.

Thank you for posting this. That was my thought when I read his post.

Piebald

Many anonymous people online claiming this isn't shocking to them. Claiming Lasseter gets bombed at industry events and likes to grab butts and just be creepy. A long hugger and probably a bit touchy when drunk.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry you take offense. I didnt specifically list every grouping (if that were even possible) of people whom follow people or groups around, I was specifically targeting two whom do not have any direct or indirect business association with them. There's quite a difference between a fan and a groupie specifically Buckle Bunnies, Jersey Pullers, Road Wives and their male counterparts (ie if I can make it any clearer , those seeking to add notches to their trophy items via voluntary prurient actions).

the.dreamfinder

As you may know, John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, will be taking a six month “sabbatical” from the company in light of sexual misconduct. This story is rapidly developing and there is a space to discuss the story (here). However, this is a repository of all of the developments in this important story.

Amid Amidi hints a high profile individual in the American animation has committed acts of sexual misconduct/harassment.
Hope folks are paying attention to Weinstein episode—a preview of what'll happen at some point to BIG execs who control animation industry.
https://twitter.com/amid/status/918118357324435459
Who knew what when? Questions will be asked of those in power in the animation industry. Hush-money deals may work for now, but not forever.
https://mobile.twitter.com/amid/status/918650454116093952

Kim Masters writes John has preemptively left the company to address “missteps”.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-lasseter-taking-leave-absence-pixar-missteps-1057113
John’s Statement
I have always wanted our animation studios to be places where creators can explore their vision with the support and collaboration of other gifted animators and storytellers. This kind of creative culture takes constant vigilance to maintain. It’s built on trust and respect, and it becomes fragile if any members of the team don’t feel valued. As a leader, it’s my responsibility to ensure that doesn’t happen; and I now believe I have been falling short in this regard.

I’ve recently had a number of difficult conversations that have been very painful for me. It’s never easy to face your missteps, but it’s the only way to learn from them. As a result, I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the leader I am today compared to the mentor, advocate and champion I want to be. It’s been brought to my attention that I have made some of you feel disrespected or uncomfortable. That was never my intent. Collectively, you mean the world to me, and I deeply apologize if I have let you down. I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form. No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected.

In my conversations with Disney, we are united in our commitment to always treat any concerns you have with the seriousness they deserve, and to address them in an appropriate manner. We also share a desire to reinforce the vibrant, respectful culture that has been the foundation of our studios’ success since the beginning. And we agree the first step in that direction is for me to take some time away to reflect on how to move forward from here. As hard as it is for me to step away from a job I am so passionate about and a team I hold in the highest regard, not just as artists but as people, I know it’s the best thing for all of us right now. My hope is that a six-month sabbatical will give me the opportunity to start taking better care of myself, to recharge and be inspired, and ultimately return with the insight and perspective I need to be the leader you deserve.

I’m immensely proud of this team, and I know you will continue to wow the world in my absence. I wish you all a wonderful holiday season and look forward to working together again in the new year.

John

Kim Masters then reports on John’s alleged sexual misconduct at the company including kissing, grabbing and making inappropriate comments about female employees. The report states “Toy Story 4” screenwriter Rashida Jones left the film because Lasseter had made unwanted sexual advances. Rashida and her screenwriting partner Will McCormick would later release a statement to the New York Times that this was not the case.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...uct-detailed-by-disney-pixar-insiders-1059594

Cartoon Brew reports on Masters’ piece and adds that sources told them at least one settlement had been made.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/artist-r...-absence-pixar-following-missteps-154881.html
Sources additionally tell Cartoon Brew that there has allegedly been at least one financial settlement from the Walt Disney Company over Lasseter’s actions. This implies that the behavior went on with the knowledge of Disney and Pixar Animation Studios president Ed Catmull and Disney CEO Bob Iger.

Variety releases a report on Lasseter’s misconduct, which they report goes back at least two decades. His behavior was well known within the company and women had created moves to avoid unwanted touching/kissing from him; “the Lasseter”.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john-lasseter-pixar-disney-whisper-network-1202620960/

Vanity Fair then reports on a meeting between TWDC Communications Chief Zenia Mucha, Walt Disney/Pixar President Ed Catmull and WDAS/Pixar GM Andrew Millstein after the 2010 Academy Awards to address an incident where John fondled a female Disney employee at an Oscars after party. Scuttlebutt in Emeryville suggests “Monsters Inc.”, and “Inside Out” director Pete Docter will be stepping into John’s vacated role as Chief Creative Officer.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/disney-pixar-john-lasseter-leave-allegations

Brooks Barnes reports on the story for the New York Times with a statement from Rashida Jones and Will McCormick on why they left “Toy Story 4”. They say Pixar is an unfriendly creative environment for women and minorities.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/business/media/john-lasseter-pixar-disney-leave.html
Rashida and Will’s statement
“The breakneck speed at which journalists have been naming the next perpetrator renders some reporting irresponsible,” they said. “We did not leave Pixar because of unwanted advances. That is untrue. We parted ways because of creative and, more importantly, philosophical differences.

“There is so much talent at Pixar, and we remain enormous fans of their films,” they continued. “However, it is also a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice.”

Ms. Jones and Mr. McCormack concluded the statement by saying: “We encourage Pixar to be leaders in bolstering, hiring and promoting more diverse and female storytellers and leaders. We hope we can encourage all those who have felt like their voices could not be heard in the past to feel empowered.”

Will update with future developments

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

And here we are as the court of public opinion already convicted someone and jumping to conclusions with no evidence.
Did you miss the part of this where Lasseter confessed?

I'm a VERY staunch believer in innocent until proven guilty. I don't support witch hunts and don't believe the ridiculous notion that false allegations never occur. Innocent until proven guilty is a cornerstone of any rational and civilized legal system, and the thought of reversing that sends chills down my spine. If I believed in hell, false accusers would have a special place there right alongside actual rapists. Both for ruining the lives of those they falsely accused as well as making life even more miserable and difficult for actual victims.

But in this case we have a confession. It's one of those rare cases where it's possible to make a reasoned conclusion that the person is guilty prior to a trial. The only general reasons someone would lie about a confession is either due to being insane or being cornered/coerced by authority figures, neither of which applies to Lasseter.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom