Lasseter Taking Leave of Absence

flynnibus

Premium Member
Now it makes sense, this is not Disney erasing its "history" as was being alluded to. This is the modification of a picture to make it tie into the story of the land. As I said before you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

Dude.... you still trying to deny these photos? Please stop... it's making you look aweful. They played revisionist.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Dude.... you still trying to deny these photos? Please stop... it's making you look aweful. They played revisionist.
I'm not denying the photos, there was proof provided of them which was not presented originally. I'm just saying there is an explanation more than just Disney is erasing their history. Especially given that Jon Landau is still part of the Avatar world and is not a Disney employee. I will say yes it does look bad on the surface if you are looking for ways to make Disney look bad. But the truth is usually simpler, so this idea that they would intentionally erase former employees and create some convoluted backstory to hide it is just some conspiracy theory. But hey if there is some evidence that states the conspiracy theory as true I'm willing to look at it. But I would need something more than just some random tweets from the internet.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not denying the photos, there was proof provided of them which was not presented originally. I'm just saying there is an explanation more than just Disney is erasing their history. Especially given that Jon Landau is still part of the Avatar world and is not a Disney employee. I will say yes it does look bad on the surface if you are looking for ways to make Disney look bad. But the truth is usually simpler, so this idea that they would intentionally erase former employees and create some convoluted backstory to hide it is just some conspiracy theory. But hey if there is some evidence that states the conspiracy theory as true I'm willing to look at it. But I would need something more than just some random tweets from the internet.

Why do they need to write a different story for a photo representing the same thing? It's not like "hey, here are people building zandar". Regardless it's incredibly disrespectful to people who used to be at the highest level of the company. It showed bad taste all around.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Why do they need to write a different story for a photo representing the same thing? It's not like "hey, here are people building zandar". Regardless it's incredibly disrespectful to people who used to be at the highest level of the company. It showed bad taste all around.

The original picture is the Walt Disney Company breaking ground on a new land. The story shown in the "updated" picture is to enhance the rest of the story of the land that ACE took over this facility. Its to enhance the immersion in which you are suppose to be on Pandora. But this is not some nefarious plan to erase some former employees from history in my opinion. For all we know it was part of the plan to update the picture to include Jon as a part of the story. He was after all, in the character of Marshall Lamm, was one of the people to introduce Pandora at D23 in 2016. So then the fact that 3 of the 6 were no longer part of the project and they took the opportunity to make caricatures out of them. Again for all we know this was part of the plan to update them to make them part of the ACE Board backstory.

Point is again this is not some nefarious plan to erase some former employees from history.

As to whether that's bad taste, that is a matter of opinion. And I can understand why some would come to that opinion. But for me as I state this is nothing more than them enhancing the experience.

Old Mouseketeer

That’s too bad

It was inevitable. The LOA was a face-saving device. Disney gets to distance itself from the controversy and let things cool down. As a practical matter, if they are really going to use him as a consultant for the rest of the year, they get to disengage operationally and creatively in an orderly way. I suspect they have consulted with him regularly during his "leave". Nobody is irreplaceable. But a key executive like Lasseter would have been involved in so many projects. Keeping him at arm's length made sense. Letting him go is probably unavoidable.

John brought so much vision and creativity, first to Pixar and then to Disney Animation and Imagineering. He could be a bit of a zealot and sometimes tried to out-Walt Walt (Condor Flats, parade route through Carsland). But his contribution was enormous. Unfortunately his handling of alcohol and women was not tenable for a top executive. But he has a soft landing. The millions in compensation help. He has his winery. And depending on his exit contract, he might well find other creative endeavors. I wish him well--and personal health and wellness.

21stamps

It was inevitable. The LOA was a face-saving device. Disney gets to distance itself from the controversy and let things cool down. As a practical matter, if they are really going to use him as a consultant for the rest of the year, they get to disengage operationally and creatively in an orderly way. I suspect they have consulted with him regularly during his "leave". Nobody is irreplaceable. But a key executive like Lasseter would have been involved in so many projects. Keeping him at arm's length made sense. Letting him go is probably unavoidable.

John brought so much vision and creativity, first to Pixar and then to Disney Animation and Imagineering. He could be a bit of a zealot and sometimes tried to out-Walt Walt (Condor Flats, parade route through Carsland). But his contribution was enormous. Unfortunately his handling of alcohol and women was not tenable for a top executive. But he has a soft landing. The millions in compensation help. He has his winery. And depending on his exit contract, he might well find other creative endeavors. I wish him well--and personal health and wellness.

I’m dumbfounded. Bad personal behavior doesn’t erase talent and contributions, but no, someone who has basically self admitted to harassment, or at the very least- abuse of power by touching women inappropriately.. this person should never be allowed in a studio again.

21stamps

I liked Bill Cosby’s work, I appreciate, and respect, and admire Roger Ailes’s work. However, both of those men deserved to be ousted, because professional achievements do not override harassment.. and I do not feel sorry for them for one second.

We cheer for Roseanne’s deserved cancellation, but yet some feel it’s “too bad” or “well wishes” to someone who has admitted to the mistreatment of women?

W. T. H. is wrong with people.

Curious Constance

"While I remain dedicated to the art of animation and inspired by the creative talent at Pixar and Disney, I have decided the end of this year is the right time to begin focusing on new creative challenges. "

Before he worries about new creative challenges, I think he should focus on the really tough things in life like learning how NOT to "touch women inappropriately in the office, including rubbing their legs and kissing them on the lips. "

mickEblu

I liked Bill Cosby’s work, I appreciate, and respect, and admire Roger Ailes’s work. However, both of those men deserved to be ousted, because professional achievements do not override harassment.. and I do not feel sorry for them for one second.

We cheer for Roseanne’s deserved cancellation, but yet some feel it’s “too bad” or “well wishes” to someone who has admitted to the mistreatment of women?

W. T. H. is wrong with people.

Drugging women and raping them (if true, didn’t really closely follow the story) is a lot different than being the weird uncle and aggressively hugging them.

The whole situation is too bad. It’s too bad he had to be creepy. It’s too bad that the company lost a huge talent. I don’t necessarily feel bad for him.

And to answer your last question, nothing is wrong with me.

Californian Elitist

Glad he's going simply because his presence was damaging WDA and Pixar. The other stuff he did was bad too.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Killing two birds with one stone, there’s no longer a pervert running amongst the group and one less influencer for projects like Pixar Pier. It’s a win-win.

We finally agree on something!

We’ve agreed on things before!

21stamps

Drugging women and raping them (if true, didn’t really closely follow the story) is a lot different than being the weird uncle and aggressively hugging them.

The whole situation is too bad. It’s too bad he had to be creepy. It’s too bad that the company lost a huge talent. I don’t necessarily feel bad for him.

And to answer your last question, nothing is wrong with me.

There is no excuse to touch a woman inappropriately. Period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom