Lasseter Taking Leave of Absence

brb1006

Her film work includes Frozen, Frozen Fever, Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, and A Wrinkle in Time. Now I haven't seen A Wrinkle in Time but I know it was panned by critics and completely bombed. As for the rest, I have seen them all and besides Frozen I don't care for them. Obviously I don't know the amount of influence she had on those productions, but if we're getting more movies like Wreck It Ralph, Big Hero 6, or Zootopia, count me out. Those aren't what I want from Walt Disney Animation.
What's wrong with Zootopia?

TROR

What's wrong with Zootopia?
Nothing. It's a competent, entertaining, cute movie. I did, however, find it rather forgettable and much more in line with a great Dreamsworks movie like How to Train Your Dragon rather than as a great Disney movie. The modern settings of Wreck It Ralph, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia don't feel like Disney movies. Same complaint I have about Oliver and Company and Lilo and Stitch.

VJ

Nothing. It's a competent, entertaining, cute movie. I did, however, find it rather forgettable and much more in line with a great Dreamsworks movie like How to Train Your Dragon rather than as a great Disney movie. The modern settings of Wreck It Ralph, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia don't feel like Disney movies. Same complaint I have about Oliver and Company and Lilo and Stitch.
How do you feel about One Hundred and One Dalmatians? Considering that film's setting was "modern" when it was released...

TROR

How do you feel about One Hundred and One Dalmatians? Considering that film's setting was "modern" when it was released...
I like the dogs but I've never been crazy for it. Lady and the Tramp is definitely the better Disney dog movie. I will say, though, that unlike Wreck It Ralph or Oliver and Company, 101 Dalmatians (and Dumbo as well) don't feel like they're tied down to the decade they were made. They could just as easily take place in the 1920's, 30's, 40's, or 50's and it wouldn't make the movies feel any different.

None of us can deny you your feelings, but that seems like an odd complaint.
It's just one of those things. I associate Disney animated movies with classic fairy tales and literature from around the world. Hard to do that when they're set in modern times or based on original ideas.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I care more about the quality of the work and my enjoyment of the product, but that's just me...

That is fair, and to me she has proven herself worthy of the job. But at the same time I find this a historic occasion for Disney animation which shouldn't be overlooked, as well as women.

Not only did Pixar have their first short film ever directed by a woman before Incredibles 2 (let alone the fact that she was a Canadian-Chinese woman), but now Disney animation has one in charge. I'm all for the slow and satisfying death of the old boys club.

TROR

Modern set Disney movies ranked

Dumbo
101 Dalmatians

POWER GAP

Lilo and Stitch
Zootopia
Big Hero 6
Wreck It Ralph
Rescuers Down Under
Rescuers
Oliver and Company
Meet the Robinsons
Bolt

POWER GAP AGAIN

Chicken Little

Honestly, looking at this list I think I found the reason I don't enjoy modern set Disney movies: historically, they're bad. Prior to the release of Wreck It Ralph (which is a movie I don't like no matter the time period, btw), seven of the nine Disney movies set during modern times were released during bad times for Disney. 1980's and 2000's were bad decades for Disney movies. I suppose I associate Disney movies set during modern times with those eras.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Her film work includes Frozen, Frozen Fever, Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, and A Wrinkle in Time. Now I haven't seen A Wrinkle in Time but I know it was panned by critics and completely bombed. As for the rest, I have seen them all and besides Frozen I don't care for them. Obviously I don't know the amount of influence she had on those productions, but if we're getting more movies like Wreck It Ralph, Big Hero 6, or Zootopia, count me out. Those aren't what I want from Walt Disney Animation.
I’m the opposite I love all those animated films and so do my kids. Wrinkle in Time was a mess though. It could have been so good!

brb1006

Or the rescuers, the classic disney afternoon shows, etc.
EDIT: the only bad modern day setting disney movie/product I can think of is chicken little. Everything else is good, great, or just ok.
Chicken Little feels more like a parody of a Disney film by Disney itself.

Last edited:

180º

I’m thrilled with the studio news. I’m not a huge fan of Jennifer Lee’s writing, strictly. Her personal genius lies in her abilities as a director/visionary/leader, so this is a perfect fit. I think she’ll do the job better than Lasseter ever could.

D

Deleted member 107043

I’m thrilled with the studio news. I’m not a huge fan of Jennifer Lee’s writing, strictly. Her personal genius lies in her abilities as a director/visionary/leader, so this is a perfect fit. I think she’ll do the job better than Lasseter ever could.

I just googled Jennifer Lee and her credentials are impressive. I didn't know that she's won an Oscar for Director, Best Animated Feature (Frozen). For no particular reason I like that she's going from Disney to Pixar. *fingers crossed*

180º

I just googled Jennifer Lee and her credentials are impressive. I didn't know that she's won an Oscar for Director, Best Animated Feature (Frozen). For no particular reason I like that she's going from Disney to Pixar. *fingers crossed*
I think she’s actually sticking around at WDAS. The headline was kind of confusing and made it sound like they’re both heading Pixar, but they’re trying to say that Docter is overseeing Pixar and Lee is overseeing Walt Disney Animation Studios.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think she’s actually sticking around at WDAS. The headline was kind of confusing and made it sound like they’re both heading Pixar, but they’re trying to say that Docter is overseeing Pixar and Lee is overseeing Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom