Lasers back on in Dinosaur

AndyS2992

See and if that's 100% accurate that the yeti works and its just off for fear that something MIGHT go wrong, that really makes me angry!

The yeti is in the same rank as the Big Thunder Mountain boulders and will never be turned back on. After the accident at Disneyland Paris, all overhead animatronics have been switched off permanently.

Figments Friend

The Yeti actually works fine, but management decides to keep it off. First, it's all about the money. If they say it isn't about the money, it is definitely all about the money. Then it comes down to safety and the legal dept ( how much money can we be sued for if somethingh breaks). They are so afraid of being sued that instead fixing things to make it right, they would rather just turn it off and save money on maintenance and lawsuits. So no more show quality it is all about money savings. DAK is by far the worse of all the parks for maintenance wise.

Since this was about the lasers at Dinosaur, there are 2 lasers, one is Argon and the other is Krypton. Originally, the Argon(green) laser was used for the time portals and the end and beginning of the time tunnels. The Krypton laser was used the finale horizon meteor blast, then when they re-did the finale they moved the laser to the Iguanadon as a capture portal. Then like anything, things wear out after a lot of use. So they had to buy a new argon laser tube and they are expensive and they didn't like that at all. So after years of use, they had problems again, they replaced some parts here and there and tweaking on the PowerTrac. They decided instead of replacing the laser tube again, we will just use the Krypton(red) for all 3 laser portals. Then coming up with many excuses why not to use it like safety, what happens if it shoots someone in the eye? What happens when that fails? We don't have enough time to turn them on? They just decided to turn them off even though they still work fine. Just half of the other stuff in Dinosaur, it is just really depressing when you think of the stuff they got turned off and not using anymore and just collecting dust.

Wow....a earful here. Thank you for the insight.
So all this time, these effects and the Yeti are working and able to work....but they are just turned off to save a few bucks?

Wow..just wow.
This is a shame.
Dinosaur with all the effects was great back in the day, as was EE with a lively Yeti.

AndyS2992

Wow....a earful here. Thank you for the insight.
So all this time, these effects and the Yeti are working and able to work....but they are just turned off to save a few bucks?

Wow..just wow.
This is a shame.
Dinosaur with all the effects was great back in the day, as was EE with a lively Yeti.
There are other factors other than money. Such as his constant movement and weight puts strain on what he is attached to and therefore is at risk of collapsing onto the track and resulting in injury or death to guests. After the falling boulders as mentioned he'll never be turned back on.

Magenta Panther

The yeti is in the same rank as the Big Thunder Mountain boulders and will never be turned back on. After the accident at Disneyland Paris, all overhead animatronics have been switched off permanently.

My god...the Yeti ISN'T broken, but not allowed to function as designed? That's still a massive failure and embarrassment...I weep for what used to be the Disney legacy in innovation and quality. The Monorail wasn't supposed to be able to work but it did...what has happened to Walt's company?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What am I looking at here with regards to the lasers. Is it the rectangular laser that we crash through? or something else?
Rectangular lasers. They were the portel/vortex lasers. I should have just uploaded the screen cap I forgot I took

image.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My god...the Yeti ISN'T broken, but not allowed to function as designed? That's still a massive failure and embarrassment...I weep for what used to be the Disney legacy in innovation and quality. The Monorail wasn't supposed to be able to work but it did...what has happened to Walt's company?
I believe its a mix of both. The Yeti has structural issues but there is an added reason not to get back to A mode due to lawyers in the US parks. Surely if items were properly designed, built and maintained things wouldn't fall down? There again, WDW doesn't have a great track record with this. Splash and the Net of Life hammered this home for Orlando. Seeing the swinging pirate overhead in DLP last year reminded me how good things are when they do work and are trusted and maintained to work.

articos

Good additions! So this then is the 100% official, articos list of acknowledged insiders:

Marni (good friends with Martin)​
Whylightbulb​
Drew81​
The Empress Lilly (bestest insider)​
Articos​
Spirit​
WDW74 (spirit wannabe)​
Lee​
Alektronic​
PeterAlt (knows all about the upcoming 5th gate)​
Tim_4​
t3techcom18​
wdwmagic​
Eddie Sotto (aspiring imagineer, would be cool if they hired him, some of his stuff is promising, if unpolished)​
Don't trust anything said about George, including this.​

CAN WE GET A STICKY FOR THIS
I officially acknowledge this post. Unofficially, of course.

articos

So alektronic should know exactly why the yeti doesn't work?
Um...I'm going to go with yes. ;)

I believe its a mix of both. The Yeti has structural issues but there is an added reason not to get back to A mode due to lawyers in the US parks. Surely if items were properly designed, built and maintained things wouldn't fall down? There again, WDW doesn't have a great track record with this. Splash and the Net of Life hammered this home for Orlando. Seeing the swinging pirate overhead in DLP last year reminded me how good things are when they do work and are trusted and maintained to work.
Right. As Alek says, he does work and could be on, but there is also more to it. He'd need work to work reliably medium to long-term, and with the current environment (not spending money on maintenance or re-engineering, plus the current ruling of no animatronics or show effects above the guests that could potentially fail), management's choice is to simply turn him off.

Scuttle

Good additions! So this then is the 100% official, articos list of acknowledged insiders:

Whylightbulb​
Drew81​
Articos​
Spirit​
WDW74 (spirit wannabe)​
Lee​
Alektronic​
Tim_4​
t3techcom18​
wdwmagic​
Eddie Sotto (aspiring imagineer, would be cool if they hired him, some of his stuff is promising, if unpolished)​

I know Raven doesn't post much anymore, but hes also a very trusted insider as well.

The Duck

Pathetic. Common sense should dictate that you should factor in all safety, maintenance and legal issues BEFORE you invest in a multi-million dollar project. We've heard about cracked foundations, lubricant and other problems with the Yeti but apparently liability paranoia and general cheapness are what makes the World go around.

bonofuzz

It's true.

Well I recognize that I'm no insider and I've rarely posted here so my experience probably wont meet the community's criteria for "reliable source" but, for what it's worth, I was in AK yesterday and remarked to my wife that I had my first enjoyable ride on dinosaur in years. In particular, we both were shocked to see a spinning laser effect at the beginning and end of the time tunnels. I never saw the original version of the ride so I don't know if this is a new version of the effect or a reverse back to the original effect, but there were green spinning lasers that are pointed directly at the time rover at the beginning and end.

Also, yeti was still in its full disco glory...

ctxak98

It's true.

Well I recognize that I'm no insider and I've rarely posted here so my experience probably wont meet the community's criteria for "reliable source" but, for what it's worth, I was in AK yesterday and remarked to my wife that I had my first enjoyable ride on dinosaur in years. In particular, we both were shocked to see a spinning laser effect at the beginning and end of the time tunnels. I never saw the original version of the ride so I don't know if this is a new version of the effect or a reverse back to the original effect, but there were green spinning lasers that are pointed directly at the time rover at the beginning and end.

Also, yeti was still in its full disco glory...
I'm glad you had a good ride! unfortunately the spinning scanners are not the lasers. The lasers were in the time portal themselves and did not spin! It was almost a green box that you shattered through. It was cool because it was a good cover before you entered the jungle. Now you can start to see the primeval jungle before actually exiting the time tunnel! but that's for the update!

Tim_4

Whylightbulb​
Drew81​
Articos​
Spirit​
WDW74 (spirit wannabe)​
Lee​
Alektronic​
Tim_4​
t3techcom18​
wdwmagic​

To be clear, I'm only to be regarded trustworthy on statements of facts. My statements of opinion have been proven to be almost 100% incorrect. An illustration for clarity:

Tim_4 says: Avatar is coming and it will be awesome.
WDWMagic reader should infer: Avatar IS coming, but it'll probably suck.

Furrealz though, it's gonna be poppin'.

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom