KODAK Wanting Out of Imagination?

Thrill Seeker

I heard from another chat site, that someone was just at JII and that almost all of the aftershow was closed down, and that Kodak pulled out on 6/30/2010 (yesterday at the time of this posting)

Can anyone confirm or deny that? :shrug:

I was there on the 30th and it all looked open to me... I'll look around again today after work, since I'm gonna go see EO anyway...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
since they did, I take no shame in them pulling out. That pavilion was 100 percent murdered! At least now that Captain E-O's back it's made an approvement of coming down to 85 percent murdered.. Wonders of Life is closed for good but i'd say it's 95 percent abandoned AND murdered.

F**K science. I thought it was Imagination! :-/ Anyways i think they should still have imageworks downstairs (it needs to be good tho.) and have a new Figment Cafe upstairs! :D

mharrington

If Kodak is leaving Imagination, what does that mean for the rest of WDW, which has Kodak as its official camera/film sponsor? They even have the name on the maps!

parkgoer

If Kodak is leaving Imagination, what does that mean for the rest of WDW, which has Kodak as its official camera/film sponsor? They even have the name on the maps!

I could be totally wrong my if i had to guess, I'd guess if they pulled out of image, everything else would still remain. A new contract would be made that would allow them to keep there kodak camera spots etc. That's good advertising for them. Sponsoring a dilapidated building housing a ride very few like is a different story...

MythBuster

I heard from more than one person in management that Kodak is gone. Their contract ended on July 1 and Captain EO officially opened on July 2. They are out of Imagination also and things have been removed from the post show already. It might not happen overnight but all signs of Kodak will be slowly disappearing backstage and on stage.

I haven't heard of anything happening to Imagination pavilion especially without a sponsor, I doubt anything will happen at all.

Also, I heard that Captain EO had a 3 year agreement and that HISTA is definitely returning after that. Then again, it could be subject to change.

RHeath2

Numbers can tell part of the tale. (courtesy Wikipedia)

Kodak's net income in 2008: -$442 million USD (They finally broke the cycle and had a profitable quarter recently, but cut another 4,000 or so jobs, bringing the total employment to around 20,000 people from a peak close to 140,000 in the mid 1980s).

Fujifilm's net income in 2008: +$1.2 billion USD (adjusted from Japanese Yen to USD at current rate).

If the folks at Fujifilm were still interested in doing something park related, they at least appear to be in better financial shape than Eastman-Kodak. Does it mean they still want to all these years later? I don't know and wouldn't have any type of idea if communication lines were totally shut down or not.

aladdin2007

I heard from more than one person in management that Kodak is gone. Their contract ended on July 1 and Captain EO officially opened on July 2. They are out of Imagination also and things have been removed from the post show already. It might not happen overnight but all signs of Kodak will be slowly disappearing backstage and on stage.

I haven't heard of anything happening to Imagination pavilion especially without a sponsor, I doubt anything will happen at all.

Also, I heard that Captain EO had a 3 year agreement and that HISTA is definitely returning after that. Then again, it could be subject to change.

Great so were stuck with two outdated films taking turns. And a ride that has no one who cares about it in management, yet anyway. grrr that just makes me dislike TDO even more.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Official Fujifilm Documents

Sponsors of:
Tokyo Disneyland: Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters
Tokyo DisneySea: The Magic Lamp Theater

Of course, TDL isn't owned by Disney, so it's probably a moot point.

TheBeatles

Original Poster
i heard that the 30th is when Kodak was going to leave.

i didn't ask if this meant june or july 30th, but CMs will tell you kodak is leaving. i asked a few different ones.

OFTeric

An argument to remove capacity from the park

Ok I am going to play "bean counter" for a moment. I am going to make an argument that it makes sense to shutter JIYI and HISTA/EO

First I am going to take the yearly theme park attendance figures.

MK - 17,063,000
EPCOT - 10,935,000
DHS - 9,608,000
DAK - 9,540,000

So the average daily attendance for each park is as follows:

MK - 46,747
EPCOT - 29,958
DHS - 26,323
DAK - 26,136

Now let's look at the maximum capacity for these parks.

MK - 75,000
EPCOT - 90,000
DHS - 45,000
DAK - 38,000

Now let's see where these parks are comparing to their theoretical attendance capacity.

MK - 62%
EPCOT - 33%
DHS - 58%
DAK - 68%

So one could argue that EPCOT is performing far lower than any other theme park. One could then argue, that it has too much to do in the open space alloted, and that the shuttering of WOL and other pavilions is warranted, in order to streamline labor.

If Epcot was operating at the same level as MK it would have over 22,000,000 visitors a year.

So there is clearly potential for EPCOT to be a crowd swallower, but as of right now it just isn't performing anywhere near the level it should be. So close some spaces, and make the other spaces for efficient.

aladdin2007

Ok I am going to play "bean counter" for a moment. I am going to make an argument that it makes sense to shutter JIYI and HISTA/EO

First I am going to take the yearly theme park attendance figures.

MK - 17,063,000
EPCOT - 10,935,000
DHS - 9,608,000
DAK - 9,540,000

So the average daily attendance for each park is as follows:

MK - 46,747
EPCOT - 29,958
DHS - 26,323
DAK - 26,136

Now let's look at the maximum capacity for these parks.

MK - 75,000
EPCOT - 90,000
DHS - 45,000
DAK - 38,000

Now let's see where these parks are comparing to their theoretical attendance capacity.

MK - 62%
EPCOT - 33%
DHS - 58%
DAK - 68%

So one could argue that EPCOT is performing far lower than any other theme park. One could then argue, that it has too much to do in the open space alloted, and that the shuttering of WOL and other pavilions is warranted, in order to streamline labor.

If Epcot was operating at the same level as MK it would have over 22,000,000 visitors a year.

So there is clearly potential for EPCOT to be a crowd swallower, but as of right now it just isn't performing anywhere near the level it should be. So close some spaces, and make the other spaces for efficient.

You can thank TDO for not allowing Imagineering to do what they would like to. However we dont need any more closed spaces and I surely dont want to see Imagination become another convention special events location, it becomes too permanent. I think one problem is Disney just doesnt know what to do anymore with space like they once use to, the golden days are gone. If its not a franchise it seems like everything is a red light. Although Soarin was original.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom