Kodak going going gone?!?!?!?

Jerm

Original Poster
So I have been hearing words about Kodak leaving in June. I know they have been phased out with the "Photo Pass" but have not heard anything about them "leaving" the park all together. Might want to check around on the back of the maps and a few of the attractions to see if they still have one of the longest running sponsors that Disney has had still on it in a few weeks.

J

JuanD_20k

All of the new maps out and coming out for all of the parks have the Kodak on the photo pass and on the back of the maps. These maps just came out and more than likely will run thoughout the summer.

speck76

Kodak and The Walt Disney Company extend multi-year corporate alliance agreement

In May, 2002, Kodak signed a multi-year agreement with The Walt Disney Company that renews the company's long-standing relationship as the exclusive imaging supplier of film and related products at world-renowned Disney theme parks and resorts in the U.S and Paris, as well as for the Disney Cruise Line.

The alliance is designed to allow the parties to take advantage of advances in imaging and information technology to set the stage for new business, promotional and co-marketing opportunities throughout the U.S., Europe, Latin America and most of Asia.

"We are proud to continue our long history with Disney and value our unique association," said Kodak Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Daniel A. Carp. "Over the years, our companies have forged a powerful brand partnership, with Disney continually creating new, magical experiences and Kodak inventing innovative ways for Disney guests to capture and share those treasured moments for generations."

"Kodak has been an important part of the Disney theme park experience since Disneyland opened in 1955," said Robert A. Iger, president and COO, The Walt Disney Company. "We are excited to continue this long-standing relationship and look forward to many more years working closely with our friends at Kodak to bring imaginative imaging offerings to our guests."

The alliance provides for:

* sales and promotion at select Disney properties of traditional film and one-time-use cameras;

* on-site photo processing and digital products and services, such as ride photo capture systems and supplies;

* continued Kodak sponsorship of attractions in each of the theme parks, including the Imagination! Pavilion at Epcot, which features the Honey I Shrunk the Audience 3D film, the Journey into Your Imagination ride and Imageworks, an interactive experience which highlights the latest in Kodak's infoimaging technology; and

* a new sponsorship of Mickey's Philharmagic, a new 3D film scheduled to open Summer 2003 in the Magic Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando.

In addition, Kodak provides its "Kodak Incredible Picture Lab" freestanding imaging kiosks for visitors at Imagingation! Pavilion at EPCOT Center at Walt Disney World. The walk-up machines enable guests to take, manipulate, and print amusing digital pictures of themselves. Disney guests may purchase prints on site, and e-mail the pictures to friends and family from the networked Incredible Picture Lab kiosks.

Jerm

Original Poster
I will never say that this info is fact, it is just a rumor that I wanted to pass along. I do know that the Kodak photographers are gone from the parks, it is all Disney CM taking the pics. It used to be all Kodak people taking the pics, then Disney started with PhotoPass and started to move out the Kodak people. Up until this week Kodak has had some people still on Main St. but now it is all Disney.

J

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It`s no secret sponsor contracts have been altered in the past - GM changed theirs to a single year in `92 with their financial issues, then renewed a full one again in `93 and began Test track design.

It`s also known Kodak were on the verge of pulling out due to Eisner. They stayed, of course, but I do wonder if the idea never completely went away?

I wonder if Fuji Film`s offer is still open? We may see a mountain in World Showcase after all :lol:

LeaveALegacyGuy

Jerm said:
I will never say that this info is fact, it is just a rumor that I wanted to pass along. I do know that the Kodak photographers are gone from the parks, it is all Disney CM taking the pics. It used to be all Kodak people taking the pics, then Disney started with PhotoPass and started to move out the Kodak people. Up until this week Kodak has had some people still on Main St. but now it is all Disney.

J

I do work for Kodak, and this is true. As of today, DPI (Disney Photo Imaging) has taken over all positions that Kodak held (i.e. Photo pick-up in Expo Hall and Main St. photographers) All of the Kodak cast members at MK have all been relocated to resorts or to waterparks(I was relocated to the Ft. Wilderness Resort). My supervisor had also told me that in a few months, Kodak will be out of AK and MGM.

scottnj1966

marni1971 said:
It`s no secret sponsor contracts have been altered in the past - GM changed theirs to a single year in `92 with their financial issues, then renewed a full one again in `93 and began Test track design.

It`s also known Kodak were on the verge of pulling out due to Eisner. They stayed, of course, but I do wonder if the idea never completely went away?

I wonder if Fuji Film`s offer is still open? We may see a mountain in World Showcase after all :lol:

FuJi would jump at the chance if Kodak leaves, but I know Kodak would never leave unless the company itself closes.
I sure would a new ride in the countries. So much wasted ideas in that area.

typhoonguy

Nope

Jerm said:

J

Actually some Kodak photographers are still in the parks. The entrance to MGM is still Kodak. Approach one of those Cast Members and ask them if they work for disney, and you'll get a big 'NOPE'. THey also wear a different costume than the photopass photographers.

speck76

Jerm said:

J

that being said....

photoPassLogoMid.jpg

photoPassLogoBot_PwrdBy.jpg
poweredByKodak.gif

jeffb

I have no knowledge on the Disney Kodak relationship. However, Kodak has is clearly having difficulties as the world transitions from traditional film based photography to digital, the last 2 - 3 + years of Kodak's financial performance and all the restructurings they have had clearly shows this.

The quantity of Kodak film sold in the parks back in the day must of been enormous. With the massive decrease in film sales Kodak may not have much to gain by being a Disney sponsor.

Jerm

Original Poster
Like I said just a rumor....but as the Kodak person said they are changing around a lot of things. But I could have just started up the old "MGM leaving" type rumor. But we will see...maybe in June or so?

J

Bluewaves

It might just be for a consistent guest experience int he park to have Disney CM taking the photos instead of Kodak. The still say sponsered by kodak, using kodak paper , using kodak cameras, etc.... but the people are paid by Disney and thats all. I wouldn't read all that much into this at all.

Think of the problem managment had if someone was rude to a customer at the photo pickup and they were a kodak employee, not a Disney employee and said Kodak employee ruined someones vacation, well that would be a big deal and not something Disney could easily deal with. Now with that person being a Disney employee they could control the whole experience.

Just my 2 cents don't read too much into it, lol

Kadee

Last time I was at WDW (a very LONG 5 years ago), the Kodak people I had experiences with were all very nice .... just like the Disney CM's. You would never know the difference. I can really understand some restructuring due to the new digital age. I'm sure Kodak, Fugi, Polaroid and any other film makers have lost a great deal of money from so many people going digital. But, they just have to look for new ways to make money.... like those Kodak easy share digital cameras that everyone loves so much. (I have a Sony, so I didn't help Kodak any). I hope Kodak can do something else for Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom