Kodak going going gone?!?!?!?

mitchk

Chape19714 said:
I thought so too, but I was just at It's touch to be a bug and there was zero mention of Kodak, not even a sign.

That's what I was trying to remember. I don't think there is any mention of Kodak in the que, or show, but is there a Kodak symbol on the "It's tough to be a bug" entrance sign? :veryconfu

GymLeaderPhil

I believe the Kodak sponsorship for Philharmagic is listed on the projected logo before guests walk down the ramp after picking up their "opera glasses".

tirian

All Kodak photographers will be out of the parks within the next few weeks, when Disney officially takes over all positions. Reasons include the fact that Disney uses all Kodak supplies (and Kodak therefore gets free labor), and that Kodak refused to invest in the technology upgrades necessary for upcoming Photopass features.

Since the split is amicable, Kodak will continue to sponsor the 3D attractions and the Imagination pavilion, as well as be the only film sold in the parks.

ctwhalerman

tirian said:
Since the split is amicable, Kodak will continue to sponsor the 3D attractions and the Imagination pavilion, as well as be the only film sold in the parks.

This makes sense, as Kodak knows being the sole film provider at WDW is probably the best possible scenario for any camera/film company. I'm sure they would do everything possible to stay in the parks, and its probably better for the company if their employees aren't the ones taking the pictures, as it's less labor for them to pay for. And even if things up in Rochester aren't so rosy right now, I'm pretty sure they'll sponsor whatever they can at WDW for a long, long time.

bgraham34

You gorget Kodak has taken a hit in recent years with the use of Digital Cameras. So they are hurting in all areas Kodak that is.

ToTBellHop

ctwhalerman said:
This makes sense, as Kodak knows being the sole film provider at WDW is probably the best possible scenario for any camera/film company. I'm sure they would do everything possible to stay in the parks, and its probably better for the company if their employees aren't the ones taking the pictures, as it's less labor for them to pay for. And even if things up in Rochester aren't so rosy right now, I'm pretty sure they'll sponsor whatever they can at WDW for a long, long time.
You mean Kodak is actually still in Rochester? Wow...I didn't think any Rochesterians still worked there (it's been about 10 years now since the lay-offs began, of which my dad was a part of one of the early rounds). Luckily, we've brought in some new businesses to slowly replace the Kodak jobs we are losing, but hey, what's another round of lay-offs if we can enjoy ourselves some 3-D Donald Duck?!

Captain Chaos

ISTC I think your post really alludes to the problem of Disney losing some sponsorships.. How can a company explain layng off hundreds if not thousands of workers, say how bad profits are, but still shell out millions sponsoring an attraction for Disney... That wouldn't sit well with people... And the company would have a hard time explaining that one..

The company i used to work for had a similar situation.. We were losing money, and layoffs were coming.. but, instead of sponsoring ski trips to Vale, some squash tournament, and loads of advertising, all that stopped... Of course, it continued to stop even after lay offs...

spoodles

ISTCNavigator57 said:
You mean Kodak is actually still in Rochester? Wow...I didn't think any Rochesterians still worked there (it's been about 10 years now since the lay-offs began, of which my dad was a part of one of the early rounds). Luckily, we've brought in some new businesses to slowly replace the Kodak jobs we are losing, but hey, what's another round of lay-offs if we can enjoy ourselves some 3-D Donald Duck?!
Yes, plenty of Rochesterians still work for Kodak, though they are no longer the largest employer here. The transition into the digital arena has been a painful one for Kodak, but now they are actually doing quite well by all accounts that I have seen. Not the giant they once were, but no one is in film since the whole industry has shrunk so drastically.

ctwhalerman

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Luckily, we've brought in some new businesses to slowly replace the Kodak jobs we are losing, but hey, what's another round of lay-offs if we can enjoy ourselves some 3-D Donald Duck?!

lol

At least you can enjoy that 3-D Donald while thanking God Rochester hasn't become Buffalo...

ToTBellHop

Well, THAT is certainly true...they can KEEP their BuffaLOVE to themselves...and their dirty city. At least we still have High Falls...and we DON'T have the Buffalo Bills.......

Bluewaves said:
... using kodak cameras, etc.... but the people are paid by Disney and thats all. I wouldn't read all that much into this at all.

Actually, the WDW photographers do not use Kodak cameras but Nikon digital SLRs. D70's, I believe.

Bill Smugs

An interesting side note to this when I returned from WDW from my trip in Feb I was able to get a free photo pass photo as part of my package. Anyway the picture can in an envelope via air mail to Toronto On. Canada from Rochester NY.

spoodles

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Well, THAT is certainly true...they can KEEP their BuffaLOVE to themselves...and their dirty city. At least we still have High Falls...and we DON'T have the Buffalo Bills.......
Wow. Local smack on WDWMAGIC -- I can't help but thread drift. Plenty of us Rochesterians are still Bills fans (they'll be good again... some day... God, please...) Hey Buffalonians, can I interest you in a fast Ferry, hardly used.

GymLeaderPhil

ThreeCircles said:
Actually, the WDW photographers do not use Kodak cameras but Nikon digital SLRs. D70's, I believe.
And they used my Canon Powershot G6s before that. I used to tell them nice camera when I saw one. :lol:

ToTBellHop

You can't even interest Rochesterians in a fast ferry...and we paid for it. Apparently everyone in Toronto surprisingly doesn't see any value in coming to Rochester...shocking, really. I was certain they'd want to come ride the carousel, eat at abbotts, and...return home to go see the Blue Jays or go to Canada's Wonderland or the Science Center or see a musical...yeah. I love Rochester.

ctwhalerman

serious, serious thread drift, but in this trashing of all things upstate New York, but at least Rochester still has their minor league hockey team. I'm from New Haven, and we couldn't even keep that! I guess our solace is that at least we know Yale will never go out of business.

God we miss those Amerks-Nighthawks battles from the good old days of the AHL...

now back to the thread about Kodak and Disney, i guess...

Kadee

ThreeCircles said:

That is one of the best (if not THE best) digital SLR on the market. I'm saving for one right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom