Kingdom Keepers

PagingTomMorrow

robynchic said:
The Harry Potter series starts off as a 12+ age group, so there is some gap. And I will admit, I don't know the age group for Eragon, but I'm reading that now for my English class, but that is also 12+, according to Barnes and Noble online.

And how many kids do you see that are younger than 12 reading Harry Potter?

Seriously, Connor, let's talk on a messaging client. Take your pick which one, and I'll PM you my screen name.

the first book was very lighthearted and i can see it being aimed at people of harrys age but the grammar is a little complexed for kids that age

the rest of the books are much heavier and more graphic. its great though the books seem to mature along with harry ron and hermione

the 4th 5th and 6th are all very heavy material and not even slightly light hearted. i think the transpiring events in the final 3 books might be a bit much for a 10- 13 year old to handel (handle? handel? one of them is a verb the others a german composer of whose work i am very fond of playing:lol: ) im not going to give major things away but people do die. people that the readers get attached to and rowling is not very shy about describing graphic scenes

PagingTomMorrow

DDuckFan130 said:
Let's face it, even though I haven't read HP, I will have to eventually because it'll play such an integral role in the classrooms, if not already :lol:.

lol ill say
ever since i read HP ive got a new found sense of if a teacher is being unfair, biased, or just plain P'ing me off, im gonna tell them about it in detail. i respect my teachers but i always demand their respect

DDuckFan130

PagingTomMorrow said:
lol ill say
ever since i read HP ive got a new found sense of if a teacher is being unfair, biased, or just plain P'ing me off, im gonna tell them about it in detail. i respect my teachers but i always demand their respect
One thing I've learned is what teachers LOVE is for students to "argue," for lack of a better word. The problem with students arguing, though, is students are very opinionated, and cannot back up their opinions. For teachers, as long as you have facts and support, you can argue all you want. All that shows is you're involved, interested, and you're not just sitting there with saucer eyes :lol:...and of course, be respectful in your arguments :lol: Treat the teachers with respect, they will treat you with respect (I hope). Not many students do that, and unfortunately teachers sometimes don't either.

Enderikari

wdwishes2005 said:
once again, show me a kid in the target range that believes in ''magic''

You don't spend enough time at Walt Disney World, or you fail to see what's around you. Daily I see families enjoying time spent together that they may not have otherwise, united in enjoyment of a single place. I see 13 year old annual passholders talk about how they want to come to Disney every day. And the smiles of the parents that bring them. I see little girls whose only time they get to spend with daddy is when they sit together to ride Dumbo, something they used to do all the time.
Its not only magic for me to see all this, but its magic that it all exists in the first place. And a part of that magic is that, against all knowledge, against all rational thought, there is only one Mickey Mouse, and he is there. You can touch him. You can hug him. A number of kids may not feel that way, but those are also the type of children that wouldn't be interested in reading a book about WDW. The target audience for the book seems to be children that already love Walt Disney World, and want to read a story that is based on it. How dare the author take that love of such a special place... a love of a place that is unique around the world, and pervert it so? A large percentage of the kids who will be encouraged to read this book by the subject matter alone are the same percentage of kids that WDW needs to keep believing.

That's my three cents, I guess there are some folks who want to take that away.

bluefaery

My fiance picked up this book and finsihed it on the plane ride back to tx from fl. I finished it in 12 hrs. I loved it. I want to get me a copy.

robynchic

Relax before your 3 whole years senior of mine causes you to have a heart attack.

You aren't looking at things from a juvenile perspective. You're looking at things from an adult perspective, trying to see what could be objectionable in any novel for a juvenile.

And yes, I am a cast member, and proud to be one. However, if I told you what I do, I might *gasp* destroy the magic!

So excuse me, sir (at least I'm giving you more respect than you're giving me), but do not speak of which you are not knowledgable. Miss Bell agrees with me that any book that could get a child to read is a good book. And she is a middle school teacher. What are you? A PR person?

Believe the current and future teachers of America, that this is a book that is okay for pre-teens to read, and go back to your little magical hole that you dug with your magical shovel.

Oh, and while you're assaulting novels, you remind me of the people that have put together this website. Take a look at it and tell me what you think.

Wilt Dasney

robynchic said:
... go back to your little magical hole that you dug with your magical shovel.

Yikes. If this is your reaction to sarcastic adults, how are you going to react to smart-@ssed kids?

I understand getting caught up in debate, but aren't teachers supposed to hold a bit of a higher standard?

robynchic

Enderikari said:
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Keys to the Kingdom Guide
Preserve the Magical Guest Experience.The reason people keep coming back is for that one thing you can't get anywhere else in the world. The Magic
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And if it's to preserve the Magical Guest Experience, why do CMs nickname it "Murder the Magic"? And why do some CMs take particular, sadistic joy in ruining magic?

robynchic

Wilt Dasney said:
Yikes. If this is your reaction to sarcastic adults, how are you going to react to smart-@ssed kids?

I understand getting caught up in debate, but aren't teachers supposed to hold a bit of a higher standard?

Smart-@ssed little kids, I can handle. I used to be one of them.

Sarcastic adults like him...well, the problem is I think he's actually being serious, which would be really depressing.

DDuckFan130

Wilt Dasney said:

Yup :lol:

Doesn't matter whether it's a 4 year old or a 40 year old. Tempers need to be checked and teachers should have a large amount of patience to deal with the young adults and little children.

And again, I can think of a handful of books I'd rather have kids read than this one. Leisure time reading? Sure. But there are more important books out there with more relevance I'd rather see the students reading. If it's about getting the kids to read for fun, that should be something the teacher should be able to do regardless of the book. But with that I also say that some books are a pain and will never be loved. But you gotta roll with the punches and deal with it.

*shrugs*

Enderikari

robynchic said:
You aren't looking at things from a juvenile perspective. You're looking at things from an adult perspective, trying to see what could be objectionable in any novel for a juvenile.
The content is objectionable, period, I noticed you refused to respond to my point about the author playing around in a world he wasn't creative enough to make on his own, then systematically tearing it down around his novel. You also steadfastly refused to see my point about the target audience being exactly the children that Disney doesn't need to read this book, specifically for its content.
For the past 34 years, Disney has been very careful about the character integrity of its stars. No book you can find, no matter how in depth, that has ever been released by Disney, has ever confronted the character issue in the way this novel has. I am positive this book was rubber-stamped without being read carefully for its content. Because, very simply, this book should not exist!

And yes, I am a cast member, and proud to be one. However, if I told you what I do, I might *gasp* destroy the magic!
I am not surprised, there are two types of Entertainment cast members, those who care about rule #6, and those who delight in their ability to break it. I used to not believe that, but then I saw videos like "Wild Kingdom" and some myspace entries of entertainment cast members. Kudos and praise be to the first type... The second type... well, Disney was desperate for cast members.

So excuse me, sir (at least I'm giving you more respect than you're giving me), but do not speak of which you are not knowledgable. Miss Bell agrees with me that any book that could get a child to read is a good book. And she is a middle school teacher. What are you? A PR person?
Wow, you are going to be a fantastic teacher... This is a deep logical fallacy. "You have to believe me, because I am something you are not. I have no logic behind what I say, it is simply that way." I NEVER accepted the "Because I say it is" comment, and I pity the children (and adults) that do.

Believe the current and future teachers of America, that this is a book that is okay for pre-teens to read, and go back to your little magical hole that you dug with your magical shovel.
This part both saddens and sickens me. You obviously are getting defensive over an issue that has nothing to do with you personally. I dislike a book, and disagree with you wanting to give it to children. But, with this post, you obviously feel the need to attack me on a personal level. That last bit there is classic... How can you work at Walt Disney World without having that magic? Let's face it, the pay is not great, the benefits are mediocre. The sole redeeming feature is that you are working at WDW, and have the oppurtunity to create magic everyday. I am very sorry if you don't feel that way. But don't attack me for feeling that way. Attack any holes in the logic that you see, show me the fallacy in my statements; but don't say, "I am trying to be a teacher, you have a degree in PR; I am right, you are wrong."

Oh, and while you're assaulting novels, you remind me of the people that have put together this website. Take a look at it and tell me what you think.
I am sure you have heard of a slippery slope argument? You see, I can personally assure you that I have read quite a few novels, perhaps even more than you have. And nobody believes in having children enjoy reading from an early age more than me. But this book is not the way to go. Find a book that will let children keep on dreaming.

Enderikari

robynchic said:
And if it's to preserve the Magical Guest Experience, why do CMs nickname it "Murder the Magic"? And why do some CMs take particular, sadistic joy in ruining magic?

Yes, it is true, there are some ignorant CM's that call it, among other things, Murder the Magic, Ruin the Magic. Ask these CM's if they have ever been on the tour. I am 100% certain they are talking out of their whoozits. Every Keys guide I have seen hold every bit of the magic in utmost respect, and when dealing with such a topic as is dealt with poorly in this book, treat the CM's involved with nothing but glowing praise. Which is pretty decent of them considering how they are treated right back by those same cast members.

The only cast members I have seen taking sadistic joy in ruining the magic are the ones I mentioned earlier, those second type of entertaining cast members that produced "Wild Kingdom" and various myspace pages showing pics of them with their friends

DDuckFan130

Enderikari said:
Yes, it is true, there are some ignorant CM's that call it, among other things, Murder the Magic, Ruin the Magic. Ask these CM's if they have ever been on the tour. I am 100% certain they are talking out of their whoozits. Every Keys guide I have seen hold every bit of the magic in utmost respect, and when dealing with such a topic as is dealt with poorly in this book, treat the CM's involved with nothing but glowing praise. Which is pretty decent of them considering how they are treated right back by those same cast members.

The only cast members I have seen taking sadistic joy in ruining the magic are the ones I mentioned earlier, those second type of entertaining cast members that produced "Wild Kingdom" and various myspace pages showing pics of them with their friends
I hope you don't think all teachers/future teachers are like that ;)

Enderikari

Au Contraire Mon Ami, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the teachers in my life who got me where I am today. There are teachers in the world who make a difference in the lives of the children they touch, and I remember those special ones. The ones who foster learning by encouraging children to think for themselves, and to love reading.

But, I don't remember a good number of them, the ones that taught at you, saying, "Write this down because I tell you, its right because I say its right."

DDuckFan130

Enderikari said:
Au Contraire Mon Ami, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the teachers in my life who got me where I am today. There are teachers in the world who make a difference in the lives of the children they touch, and I remember those special ones. The ones who foster learning by encouraging children to think for themselves, and to love reading.

But, I don't remember a good number of them, the ones that taught at you, saying, "Write this down because I tell you, its right because I say its right."
The good ones inspired me to be like them. The bad ones motivated me to prevent future students from having to deal with what I had to deal with.

The FCAT already does a good job of keeping students from thinking outside the box. My intentions is to get them to think out of the box again.

Enderikari

Well, I have to admit, I thought outside the box quite a bit. But that really wasn't what I was going for. When a teacher asked us to do something, like read a book, I always wanted to know why. To garner a deeper understanding, why basic science principles work... why math problems work out just so... and teachers either loved it, or tried their best to beat it down

DDuckFan130

Enderikari said:
Well, I have to admit, I thought outside the box quite a bit. But that really wasn't what I was going for. When a teacher asked us to do something, like read a book, I always wanted to know why. To garner a deeper understanding, why basic science principles work... why math problems work out just so... and teachers either loved it, or tried their best to beat it down
Science and math is where you lose me :lookaroun

I think math is the only area where something is pretty much definite. The only area for argument is how to solve problems...I think :lol:

In other subjects, especially English, almost everything is up for interpretation. The important thing is to back up what you are saying. Otherwise, your arguments are fruitless. I don't agree with teachers telling you that there is only one interpretation and it's whatever they think it is. That's probably what turned me off of poetry a while ago. But I'm starting to like it again because my professors encourage critical thinking.

Ok, I've done enough rambling for one night :eek:

Enderikari

DDuckFan130 said:
In other subjects, especially English, almost everything is up for interpretation. The important thing is to back up what you are saying. Otherwise, your arguments are fruitless.
Why thank you for helping me to prove my point

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom