Kingdom Keepers

Timekeeper

I always found that the best place to stow away overnight was the old 20,000 Leagues queue area before it was demolished. This area was secluded, offered plenty of coverage, and went completely ignored by the graveyard-shift street pressure washers, security, and the like. It also had small room, in which to seek refuge from the mosquitoes. Having to sit in one area all night, too excited to sleep, is not much more fun than spending the night in jail.

After the demolition, my Plan B location became the old skyway station in Tomorrowland, between Space Mountain and Carousel of Progress. This area also went completely ignored. Having had to sit through redundant rehearsals of the High School Musical show, I pinched myself hoping to wake up from the nightmare, only to realize that I was not asleep. I have desired earplugs so badly. Note: wadding up a brown Disney napkin into a makeshift earplug set does absolutely nothing to decease sound.

I have not tried the old skyway station in Fantasy Land. Its proximity to Small World scares me (and there seems to be more people/foot traffic in that area).

Because I am no longer interested in those solo slumber parties, I don't mind sharing these tips with others. For those who feel better if they have a "if I'm discovered" plan, it may help to have a red/white walking cane (for the vision impaired) and dark glasses, or bottles of medication in-hand. And as a rule of thumb, always be "sleeping" when approached by others. When woken up, the first three words out of your mouth ought to be, "Where am I?" It's difficult to be aggressive with someone who is asleep, and then wakes up confused/shocked.

My experience has shown that the more extinct attractions that there are in the park - that still retain some physical footprint - the greater the likelihood of getting two days for the price of one. :sohappy: This is why Animal Kingdom is my holy grail, that I do not foresee acquiring at any point in the near future.

Spike-in-Berlin

I don't know really if I want to know too much about this. I am very interested in floor plans, sections, concept art, layouts because I am interested in attraction and theme park design from the architects POV but since I know for example what Magic Kingdom looks from above thanks to google earth the magic has suffered a little. I wish I would still believe, like I did as a kid, that there is only beautiful lush green on the areas filled not by attractions as shown in the idealized park-guide maps.:D

Spike-in-Berlin

I always found that the best place to stow away overnight was the old 20,000 Leagues queue area before it was demolished. This area was secluded, offered plenty of coverage, and went completely ignored by the graveyard-shift street pressure washers, security, and the like. It also had small room, in which to seek refuge from the mosquitoes. Having to sit in one area all night, too excited to sleep, is not much more fun than spending the night in jail.

After the demolition, my Plan B location became the old skyway station in Tomorrowland, between Space Mountain and Carousel of Progress. This area also went completely ignored. Having had to sit through redundant rehearsals of the High School Musical show, I pinched myself hoping to wake up from the nightmare, only to realize that I was not asleep. I have desired earplugs so badly. Note: wadding up a brown Disney napkin into a makeshift earplug set does absolutely nothing to decease sound.

I have not tried the old skyway station in Fantasy Land. Its proximity to Small World scares me (and there seems to be more people/foot traffic in that area).

Because I am no longer interested in those solo slumber parties, I don't mind sharing these tips with others. For those who feel better if they have a "if I'm discovered" plan, it may help to have a red/white walking cane (for the vision impaired) and dark glasses, or bottles of medication in-hand. And as a rule of thumb, always be "sleeping" when approached by others. When woken up, the first three words out of your mouth ought to be, "Where am I?" It's difficult to be aggressive with someone who is asleep, and then wakes up confused/shocked.

My experience has shown that the more extinct attractions that there are in the park - that still retain some physical footprint - the greater the likelihood of getting two days for the price of one. :sohappy: This is why Animal Kingdom is my holy grail, that I do not foresee acquiring at any point in the near future.

You mean you REALLY did it? You're not just speaking in theory? Just like you prefer to stay and sleep in your car overnight in the resort parking lots instead of in the resorts?

SewIn2Disney

Kingdom Keepers 2 Disney at Dawn comes out August 26th. I think it deals with the Animal Kingdom this time.
Ooh! I didn't know that!
I got Kingdom Keepers in the AK Lodge gift shop last summer, but I haven't finished it. (I'm too into David Koenig's "Realityland"---behind the scenes info on WDW)
I guess I may have to bring it to the beach with me and finish it so I'm ready for the second. What I've read so far has been really good though.....I can't believe it's from the Juniors section!

stevediesel

For those who feel better if they have a "if I'm discovered" plan, it may help to have a red/white walking cane (for the vision impaired) and dark glasses, or bottles of medication in-hand. And as a rule of thumb, always be "sleeping" when approached by others. When woken up, the first three words out of your mouth ought to be, "Where am I?" It's difficult to be aggressive with someone who is asleep, and then wakes up confused/shocked.

Thanks for the laugh Timekeeper! :ROFLOL:

kcw

There are still plenty of things happening, aren't there? And doesn't security patrol? Are there motion sensors, etc? I would think that it wouldn't be much fun, as you'd have to hide the whole time!

Unless maybe you did it in the off season and didn't move until the middle of the night. Still not much fun to my way of thinking.

Yup, there's plenty happening in the parks at night. It's actually pretty cool to see, it's not dead at all. You've got security for one, plus custodial-- hosing down MS,and other general cleaning, maintenance doing repair work, etc. Plus, they often have entertainment rehearsals overnight in the parks. There are lights on throughout the park too, so it's not like you could roam in the dark. If you tried to stay, you'd have to find a dark corner and stay they the entire time

But the characters come to life and the Pirates of the Caribean take the cars from Buzz Space Ranger Spin and drive them around the parks and Winnie the Pooh and Piglet wander down the street!! Nightime is when the parks really come alive!!!

According to the book, anyway...:lookaroun

actually, you're not too far from the truth... when do you think parades and shows rehearse when they're training new casts??? There are quite a few characters wandering in the middle of the night!

LeeLee D

I read the book while I was at Disney this summer. I finished it by the pool and later enjoyed EMH at EPCOT. Future World was deserted when I went into Nemo. I have always found that Q to be a little eerie anyway, but having just finished Kingdom Keepers, it really creeped me out! I just knew there were pirates around each corner.

Can't wait for the next book.:sohappy:

H20Babie

Just pre-ordered the new book, The Kingdom Keepers the Rise of Chernabog. Here's the publisher's description for those who want a preview:
It's supposed to be a happy day at the Magic Kingdom-the return of the teenaged holographic hosts. But things go very wrong when a sudden lightning storm disrupts the celebration, and Amanda's mysterious sister, Jez, disappears. The only clue is the sighting of a wild monkey in the Magic Kingdom during the storm. The mystery deepens as Finn is contacted by Wayne, an old man he hasn't heard from in months. Wayne tells Finn that there's trouble at the Animal Kingdom: the evil Overtakers have gained control of one of the computer servers that will be used to operate Daylight Holographic Imaging there. That means that if any of the holographic hosts fall asleep, they will go into comas-permanently. Filled with action and brimming with the same meticulous detail as "The Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark," this second book in the series"-Disney at Dawn-"is the result of hands-on research behind the scenes at Disney's Animal Kingdom Park. Young and older readers alike will get a glimpse into a second Disney kingdom. The wild rides have only just begun; and the clock is ticking. How long can the teens keep themselves awake in their quest to find their friend-and what happens if they fail?​

Ilovewishes

Wow!! that sounds fab!! I'm so excited now!! How long can you stay awake for!!

I can't wait for that book now!! I'm not at all impatient....:lookaroun

Hurricane

Also may want to check out Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom [Download for free here --http://craphound.com/down/download.php]

Phonedave

Barnes & Noble had it on clearance. I got a hardcover for about $10 two or three weeks ago.

My 9 y/o is reading it now. I may have to poach it from her.

-dave

Poached it, read it, I hate to say this, but I thought it was horrible.

Plot holes, suspended belief, odd character development to say the least, and a big ol' deux ex machina at the end.

Again, just my opinion. To all those who liked it, thats great. I just thought it was the worst thing since Wild Animus (my personal touchstone for horrible books that are an actual effort to read)

-dave

SeaBreeze

Yup, there's plenty happening in the parks at night. It's actually pretty cool to see, it's not dead at all.

I had to work third shift often and my job took me to all the parks overnight. I have to be honest; AK and Studios were a bit creepy :lookaroun Studios probably because all my work as at or around ToT, which is creepy enough anyway :lol: AK was just so...still. A bit weird at first but after awhile, I had fun prancing around while I got my work done ;)

Oriolesmagic

The third installment, Disney in Shadows will be released October 2009. It will take place primarily in EPCOT. I wonder if it has something to do with finding Wayne. Either way I can't wait!

By the way, Ridley has announced that books 4 and 5 are in the works. And I believe that Disney has said okay to the movie.

djpoore94

The third installment, Disney in Shadows will be released October 2009. It will take place primarily in EPCOT. I wonder if it has something to do with finding Wayne. Either way I can't wait!

By the way, Ridley has announced that books 4 and 5 are in the works. And I believe that Disney has said okay to the movie.

I love the books; I hope the movie is as good as the books, but I am usually disappointed with the movie version of most books.

Edeyore

I actually was in Epcot afterhours once. My wife and I were to meet up for Illuminations and we got separated, each with one of my sons. I watched the fireworks with my youngest. Once the show ended everybody was leaving. I was looking back and forth for my wife and other son. All of the pavillions were closed. We headed toward Mexico and the draw bridge was up. We went all the way around and down to the front of the park, where my wife was waiting. The whole adventure was a little dark and frustrating, not something I would really look to do intentionally.

Dwarful

My daughter will be thrilled to hear of this. She was guessing the next book to be on the cruise line, I think because of something she read in book 2. Either way, she will be happy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom