Kevin Yee- Airing of Grievances

IWant2GoNow

I try to steer clear from generalizing "everyone does this" or "everyone thinks this way". So the following is just my opinion. Agree or disagree I'm not aiming it at "pixie-dusters" or "doom & gloomers".

Management structures & personnel aside over the past 4 decades or so, WDW should never have gotten to the state that it is in now. Of course it's an enjoyable place, it's an amusement park that is supposed to be enjoyed by millions of people based on a recognizeable, & well-loved brand. Most people enjoy it as a group where personal conversations in line, keeping track of young ones, & discussing where to eat after the ride allow most to overlook the declines that have been going on around them. Some will still notice & the ones that do have a right to gripe because in their opinion they are paying top dollar (with yearly increases) for a trip that some aren't able to make even once a year. First-comers will be too overwhelmed & oblivious for the most part to notice which is not a knock on them, but it's true. If you find nothing wrong with WDW today, then by all means enjoy it. However, for others, they see the neglect in the resort & wish to spend their money elsewhere. It shouldn't bother either side what the other does with their time & money. We're just all here to voice our thoughts on a place we love to visit.

Personally, I can't get enough of WDW. However, my last few trips (June '10, & June '12) have been increased prices & not much else. I'm really intrigued by UNI's efforts lately & am excited to see all of the new additions coming in the next few years. I'm also well-overdo for my first DLR trip & can't WAIT to see it & experience the park that started it all. I find it hard to believe that I would ever NOT enjoy myself at WDW, however when I see better offers elsewhere at places that are making a concentrated effort with maintenance & quality experiences for a cheaper price, my wallet will wander. At the end of my trip this year, my mother & friend's family members discussed coming back in '13 because we had a good relaxing trip. With a half open expansion & numerous rides in disrepair, I don't feel like spending the money. I instead of purchased a Cedar Fair season pass & may be traveling around to visit a few amusement parks that I've never been to. Do they have any of the same level of theming as WDW? Absolutely not, but for the money, I feel I'm getting a much better deal. Would I rather visit WDW again? Absolutely, but not at its current state & price.

A lot of posters are arguing over what has & has not been added in the past. It's true WDW hasn't added much of substance or creativity lately. FLE appears beautiful in pictures but outside of a new view there's not much advancement in terms of tech. From what I hear, the mirror effect in ETwB is very good as well as the Lumiere AA. Everything else though, in terms of the attractions not theming, looks & sounds lack-luster. My annoyance lies not only the reduced attention to detail & maintenance, but in the amount of things that Disney has taken away or altered for the worse.

A big problem I keep reading about is capacity issues. I was too young to witness the Swan Boats but those are gone, as well as 20k being taken out. Epcot has lost an entire pavilion in Wonders of Life, a chopped down version of JIYI that doesn't utilize the full track layout, closed ImageWorks & Odyssey, almost all futuristic tech in Innovations have changed to educational sideshows, & had to promote character tie-ins to save other attractions (Living Seas, Rio del Tiempo). DHS has lost most of its Backlot & AnimationTour, Sounds Dangerous!, & soon AIE. Also Fantasmic! has been cutback dramatically & they've lost a unique merch shop as well (which name escapes me at the moment). DAK I don't believe has lost much but only for the shear fact that if they DO lose something it will be a capacity nightmare which is why its attractions remain un-refurbed.

Has WDW offered new things to replace these losses? In some areas yes, & some no, but I feel the "no"s greatly outweight the "yes"s, IMO. I feel WDW has tried to redo low-ride count rides to draw more capacity to them to make up for what they are taking away. ST2, Captain EO, SM "refurb", HoP, expensive queue additons to TMAoWtP, & HM... They are slowly running out of rides to "redo" before they have to invest in expansion, new attractions, & new tech.

This management change can not come soon enough. I can only hope that they first & foremost get the parks in better condition before adding new rides/lands/restaurants/DVC. I personally wouldn't mind if they took 5 years to focus on that alone. According to some on here, people will still go anyway so they shouldn't have to worry about luring people to an amusement park with silly things like great rides, intriguing shows, & amazing technology.

baymenxpac

I try to steer clear from generalizing "everyone does this" or "everyone thinks this way". So the following is just my opinion. Agree or disagree I'm not aiming it at "pixie-dusters" or "doom & gloomers".

Management structures & personnel aside over the past 4 decades or so, WDW should never have gotten to the state that it is in now. Of course it's an enjoyable place, it's an amusement park that is supposed to be enjoyed by millions of people based on a recognizeable, & well-loved brand. Most people enjoy it as a group where personal conversations in line, keeping track of young ones, & discussing where to eat after the ride allow most to overlook the declines that have been going on around them. Some will still notice & the ones that do have a right to gripe because in their opinion they are paying top dollar (with yearly increases) for a trip that some aren't able to make even once a year. First-comers will be too overwhelmed & oblivious for the most part to notice which is not a knock on them, but it's true. If you find nothing wrong with WDW today, then by all means enjoy it. However, for others, they see the neglect in the resort & wish to spend their money elsewhere. It shouldn't bother either side what the other does with their time & money. We're just all here to voice our thoughts on a place we love to visit.

Personally, I can't get enough of WDW. However, my last few trips (June '10, & June '12) have been increased prices & not much else. I'm really intrigued by UNI's efforts lately & am excited to see all of the new additions coming in the next few years. I'm also well-overdo for my first DLR trip & can't WAIT to see it & experience the park that started it all. I find it hard to believe that I would ever NOT enjoy myself at WDW, however when I see better offers elsewhere at places that are making a concentrated effort with maintenance & quality experiences for a cheaper price, my wallet will wander. At the end of my trip this year, my mother & friend's family members discussed coming back in '13 because we had a good relaxing trip. With a half open expansion & numerous rides in disrepair, I don't feel like spending the money. I instead of purchased a Cedar Fair season pass & may be traveling around to visit a few amusement parks that I've never been to. Do they have any of the same level of theming as WDW? Absolutely not, but for the money, I feel I'm getting a much better deal. Would I rather visit WDW again? Absolutely, but not at its current state & price.

A lot of posters are arguing over what has & has not been added in the past. It's true WDW hasn't added much of substance or creativity lately. FLE appears beautiful in pictures but outside of a new view there's not much advancement in terms of tech. From what I hear, the mirror effect in ETwB is very good as well as the Lumiere AA. Everything else though, in terms of the attractions not theming, looks & sounds lack-luster. My annoyance lies not only the reduced attention to detail & maintenance, but in the amount of things that Disney has taken away or altered for the worse.

A big problem I keep reading about is capacity issues. I was too young to witness the Swan Boats but those are gone, as well as 20k being taken out. Epcot has lost an entire pavilion in Wonders of Life, a chopped down version of JIYI that doesn't utilize the full track layout, closed ImageWorks & Odyssey, almost all futuristic tech in Innovations have changed to educational sideshows, & had to promote character tie-ins to save other attractions (Living Seas, Rio del Tiempo). DHS has lost most of its Backlot & AnimationTour, Sounds Dangerous!, & soon AIE. Also Fantasmic! has been cutback dramatically & they've lost a unique merch shop as well (which name escapes me at the moment). DAK I don't believe has lost much but only for the shear fact that if they DO lose something it will be a capacity nightmare which is why its attractions remain un-refurbed.

Has WDW offered new things to replace these losses? In some areas yes, & some no, but I feel the "no"s greatly outweight the "yes"s, IMO. I feel WDW has tried to redo low-ride count rides to draw more capacity to them to make up for what they are taking away. ST2, Captain EO, SM "refurb", HoP, expensive queue additons to TMAoWtP, & HM... They are slowly running out of rides to "redo" before they have to invest in expansion, new attractions, & new tech.

This management change can not come soon enough. I can only hope that they first & foremost get the parks in better condition before adding new rides/lands/restaurants/DVC. I personally wouldn't mind if they took 5 years to focus on that alone. According to some on here, people will still go anyway so they shouldn't have to worry about luring people to an amusement park with silly things like great rides, intriguing shows, & amazing technology.

great post.

janoimagine

Yes, I agree. From my Epcot trip in the mid 80's I have a memory of this thing called Imageworks in the Imagination pavillion, but now that I have gone back when I am older I have relized that it never really existed an Epcot is just like it was in the 80's.
I also must have memory loss over this thing called Skyleidoscope, I thought it was this really cool daytime show that took place over the worldshowcase lagoon ... funny me.

michmousefan

Yes but KI is also only open on a daily basis, what, 3-4 months out of the year? When you break it down by month, you're paying considerably more per month for a pass that you will get less use out of. Disney sells a "seasonal" pass that is blocked out during major holidays and the summer, and even that gets you more use than an equivalent pass at Cedar Point or Kings Island.

Where's the benefit in buying a pass if there's no real time to take advantage of it when no one else is visiting? That's the advantage of an annual pass at a year round park. You are able to go on a moment's notice during a time of year when not necessarily a lot of people will be vacationing.

At Cedar Point or Kings Island, for example, no matter when you go it's going to be at least moderately busy, if not more so, because you're being forced to go at the same time as pretty much every day guest.
As a Cedar Point/Cedar Fair AP holder, I can go to CP six months out of the year... including many days in May and weekends in the fall (particularly Sundays) where most of the rides are walk-ons. Plus the pass is good at Kings Island and all the other CF parks (Canada's Wonderland and Valleyfair being closest to me in MI). For $169/year... and that includes free parking, it's a pretty strong deal.

Soarin' Over Pgh

As a Cedar Point/Cedar Fair AP holder, I can go to CP six months out of the year... including many days in May and weekends in the fall (particularly Sundays) where most of the rides are walk-ons. Plus the pass is good at Kings Island and all the other CF parks (Canada's Wonderland and Valleyfair being closest to me in MI). For $169/year... and that includes free parking, it's a pretty strong deal.
Off topic- but have you ever been to Kennywood (pittsburgh) Idlewild (ligonier) or Knoebels parks? :)

yeti

What he said

Probably the post in this thread I "like" the most (and there have been quite a few gems)

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, it's not at all a good thing to base your outlook on tell-tales or even vindications based in truth from the internet. I'm not saying pictures lie, or that these occurrences of miserable quality aren't observable; they are, and that's the whole point. I forget who said it, but someone in this thread apparently isn't ever going to WDW because of shabby maintenance pictures. I understand...one reads reviews ahead of time to decide if a resort is worth spending money on. But if you call yourself a "Disney fan" and have been keen to go for years, by all means, go! You'll either walk away surprisingly pleased or disgusted and thus have a better foothold to criticize it. It's a mantra every poster here seems to follow like gospel anyway: see first, then judge. Unless you have budgetary concerns in which case you'd be better off visiting somewhere both cheaper and where quality trumps histogram figures.

Additionally, I think the growing trend of resentment is promising and well-deserved, but I hope for everyone's own good, for both the fans and their friends, that that itself isn't inflicting upon their schemas. Currently I have a friend who has visited for the first time recently and loved it. Meanwhile I'm refraining from spilling the beans of truth regarding the actual sad state of affairs and how much better things used to be. That might be an extreme example, and I should trust that she'd be able to take the message in stride while still formulating her own opinions, but I just don't want to risk it dampening her experience. My point is, if everyone had an unbiased opinion when visiting, by default the important problems would be the ones noticed by everyone. I have another "muggle" friend who, after visiting once every four or five consecutive years, both noticed the broken Yeti and a general sense of monotony in the parks. In his own words, it was "less magical". True story. And he consulted no discussion forums or podcasts.

I wish the WDW gatekeeper trolls (yes, trolls) should stop accusing Universal of being uncreative for making-ugh- "simulation" rides and playing dumb whenever they're faced with incriminating evidence. I do not wish for them to have a bad vacation. I do wish for them to be honest if they do. Either that or stick to trip reports.

Disneyhead'71

People mover moving walkway hand rail is cracked and moldy. (sorry for the focus)

jpc48j.jpg

Space Mtn. Dog's neck is broken and he is missing a foot:

33x92fn.jpg

And my favorite shot of Toddlertown:

2ljj7th.jpg

Rasvar

Heh, I saw my first sextuplet stroller the other day at MK. Almost as big as the carts the food vendors roll around the park. The smallest one in that photo is bigger than the largest one I saw twenty years ago.

disney fan 13

Original Poster
The rock-work around the dog is dusty beyond belief! Will I get in trouble if I hop over the barrier and dust it for them?! I will seriously do it because that is a lot of dust.

I was going to comment on that too, though I couldn't tell if they were going for a martian sand type look or just bad cleaning...

Animaniac93-98

Everytime I saw another Disney fault or flaw, I'm reminded of the lyrics to this "Disney" tune:

"If you cut every corner
It is really not so bad
Everybody does it,
Even mom and dad
If nobody sees it,
Then nobody gets mad"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom