just back, etiquette questions

drossjr

Here's an idea rent a car or a mini-van if you have that many kids and the buses present such a problem or wait for a bus that has some empty seats. Unfortunately you cannot rely on the kindness of others these days, is it sad? Yes but is it true? Yes.

I myself always rent a car for our trips, I really dont care for being herded like cattle into a bus with the unwashed masses :wave:

captainkidd

Is the small child riding all alone?

No?

The parents can secure the little bundle of joy, if not they should have made other plans.

I never expected anyone to stand so my child could sit. In fact I would never allow such a thing.

Please tell me you don't have children.

To answer the question, I'd give up my seat for the elderly and any child who looks lke they might have a hard time holding on.

The only problem I've ever had with Disney buses is having to occassionally wait a while for one, and those damn cheerleaders who can't shut the hell up on the bus and insist on practicing their cheers for all to hear.

Missymoe4

2.) bus etiquette, crowded bus going back to bus on hot afternoon. as we go toward back of bus, bus spiel over speakers is saying "please make room for elderly, small children, etc" we have 3 kids, DD 6, twin DS 4. seats are already taken. no one offers a seat. our kids are trying to hold on to rail and legs.
mikewdw

I see this happening all of the time. As a woman, I gladly give up my seat for a child or another woman if she looks like she needs it--heck, even a struggling father (if he has a bunch of kids and is alone) or an elderly person.

I figure that I'm capable of standing and can do so--but the person I'll give my seat up for needs the assistance. This goes for any seat--not just while at WDW.

My mother will motion to my brother and I to stand if she sees someone needing our seats (if we don't see it first).

Some people only care that they are sitting comfy. When really, those children needed that seat more than an adult--if only for safety reasons.

It's a shame that you had to go through this, but unfortunately, I see it happening all of the time.

Come on people! Help your fellow human--have a heart and show compassion.

CamiLyn227

In my opinion Disney should not let anyone stand on any type of transportation (boats, buses, monorails) because it is safer and more comfortable and fair to everyone! 2 years ago we were on a bus back to our resort after the fireworks at MK. At first we got a seat...then some children and their parents came on so we got up. I am only 5 feet tall so I can't hold on to the bar above so I was holding onto a vertical pole....more and more people kept piling onto the bus and forcing us to move until I had nothing to hold onto and I was shoved into the people who were sitting. At that point I just wanted to get off the bus and wait for another or find a different way back!! But the bus driver took off. Needless to say that was a very unpleasant and uncomfortable bus ride because the bus driver was taking the turns and stops/takeoffs very quickly and I was doing all I could do to keep myself from falling onto the people who were sitting (I am sure they were a little scared too that at any moment I would be on top of them). We've also had similar issue when riding the monorail. Then, when the people who are sitting need to get off before the people who are standing it makes for a very confusing situation. So, we decided to hang back at park closing time for now on to give the crowd time to die down. Let the tired and cranky kids and their parents go "home" first so that I can enjoy my evening. Also, I do think that any child who can safely sit on a parent's lap should do so.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I dont know if it was the heat or what, but I think Disney is about the kids first, and I think a lot of people forget that.

Completely disagree. It's fine that you think Disney is for kids first, but many people go without kids. And should not be made to feel as though they need to ensure the happiness of other peoples kids.

As far as this standing on the bus is concerned. Use common sense. There is no reason to stand up for a healthy 19 year old girl, but for a mom with a small child, get your but out of the seat. A 7 year old who is hopping around, let them stand. A 7 year old who is barely awake, give up your seat. This is not a difficult thing to manage.

Specifically for the OP, you had 2 strollers and 3 kids on a crowded bus. You stand up, your wife stands up, even your 7 year old can stand up, you said someone stood for your two twins, im sure they were able to fit in the one seat. If the bus is full, and your capable of standing, then why should someone be giving up their seat? Yeah it would be nice if a guy stood up to let your wife have a seat, but I hardly think its necessary.

daliseurat

Today's generation has not been taught any manners what-so-ever. It's every person for themselves. People feel they can do whatever they want regardless of how it effects another person. And generally there are no consequences. For those who do manage to have manners, they are rewarded with sneers and snide remarks. I was taught better. I give my seat up for anyone who seems like they need it more than I do. And any child under ten as far as I'm concerned can have my seat. I have seen folks give up their seats at Disney. Usually folks thirty and over giving up a seat for an elderly person, or small child. I've even seen elderly men give up a seat to a child. But no young people. It's a different world.

kashmir

It's not like you're giving away your kidney. It's a seat. It's a child. It's not that much of a sacrifice to ensure the safety of a child....especially if, God forbid, there's an accident. Remember, the hand you offer to help someone might well be the hand you need to help you or your loved ones someday. :wave:[/QUOTE]

Love the way you said it!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Please tell me you don't have children.

To answer the question, I'd give up my seat for the elderly and any child who looks lke they might have a hard time holding on.

Apparently he's also forgotten what a pain in the Karma can be.....

kashmir

Couple of things which are important here:

Secondly, because someone doesn't offer their seat, it doesn't mean that they are rude. They could well remain seating because they can't stand (e.g. anything from a disability through to a particularly badly sprained ankle). Sometimes you just can't tell.

QUOTE]

This was me on our last trip, unfortunately. I had shooting pains down my leg an entire day, but did not want to ruin the trip for our group. We stood over a half-hour for a ride "home" and once I was seated I could not get up for anyone, although it may have seemed as if I could and should have moved. (We went back to the resort during this time so I could ice my leg and rest.):(

kirinan

Amen. We either drive down to WDW and use our car, or if we fly we rent a car. My brother and his family happily use the bus system every time they go, but he told me his first thought the very first time they used the bus was that I would hate it. So I will always make sure we have a car available, and life is wonderful for us.

Completely disagree. It's fine that you think Disney is for kids first, but many people go without kids. And should not be made to feel as though they need to ensure the happiness of other peoples kids.

My husband and I don't have kids, but we like them just fine, and we love to see them having a blast at WDW. But at the risk of inciting a riot, a second big, fat AMEN from me on this, xdan0920.

Evil Genius

1) On the parade seating front...it's amazing what level of entitlement a lot of WDW guests have. At this point after so many trips nothing surprises me though. We've pretty much seen it all and have learned how to deal with it. Irritating guests in situations like these can still be a damper on your trip though...but as I always say...if a guest(s) really start to be a nuisance just find the nearest CM to help you handle it. Barring that...you know your "Disney rights"...just plant yourself down where you know you're allowed to sit and forget about the irritations behind you.

2) Sticky topic here. I know I'll give up my seat for someone who needs it despite age/gender etc...but come on...to those saying a five or six-year-old can stand...if you see a little kid barely able to hang on to a bar or reach it for that matter...or a parent trying to stabilize and keep more than one small kid safe...give them your seat! If you're not infirmed there's no reason an able bodied adult shouldn't be willing to allow a small child to have their seat...as someone said...karma can be a b!t@#.

njDizFan

I completely agree that elderly, handicapped, pregnant women should get a seat from anyone who is capable of standing.

As far as kids, no way. I was taught and I teach my children that adults are their elders and should get the seat. If the kid is too young to stand they can sit on their parent's lap.

And as far as women, I know for a fact if a man gave up his seat for my wife, she would be incredibly insulted. Good manners like holding doors is polite and should be offered to everyone regardless of $ex. But insinuating that women are the gentler $ex is old fashioned.

mbisenius

ettiquite at wdw? i don't think there is any.

There is when I'm in the parks because I try to treat everyone else better than myself, whether that's letting someone sit on the bus, letting someone else use the restroom before me, or a little kid stand in front of me at a parade.

I completely agree that most people are rude and feel that since they paid for their vacation they are allowed to treat people however they want. I just wanted to say that there are some people who aren't like that.....but I'm also the person in the Main Street stores who sees a little kid crying with no adults around and tries to help them find their parents.

WDW England

Its just common sense really, if someone obviously needs a seat let them have yours! no rules ages/genders etc!!!!! :brick:

if you have ever caught a bus at Disneyland Paris you will think yourself very lucky in WDW!! Manners don't exist at all in france! its terrible, least in WDW its just the odd few who are rude!

fractal

Regarding the bus -

If you get onto a bus with no seat available with the expectation that you will get special treament for whatever reason - you will feel that you are entitled to a seat. In your mind, that seat that I am now sitting on is really yours and you now feel that I am "rude" for sitting in your seat. If I do offer you my seat you're really not that appreciative since you felt it was really your seat to begin with. BAD KARMA. :(

Now - if a person comes onto a loaded bus with no expectation of being treated special and somebody does offer their seat out of chivalry or "kindness", in your mind you have been given a "gift" by a total stranger and both of you benefit from that act. GOOD KARMA. :)

btw - As a 42 year old male - If I have a seat on a crowded bus I will seek out the elderly women or the desperate mother with 2 kids clinging on her to offer my seat to. I've also trained my 13 year old son to do the same. It's mostly for selfish reasons, because the feeling you get by helping somebody outweighs the tired feet. I generally can tell however those that feel "entitled" to a seat vs. the more humble and appreciative riders.

Edisto Pluto

Today's generation has not been taught any manners what-so-ever. It's every person for themselves. People feel they can do whatever they want regardless of how it effects another person. And generally there are no consequences. For those who do manage to have manners, they are rewarded with sneers and snide remarks. I was taught better. I give my seat up for anyone who seems like they need it more than I do. And any child under ten as far as I'm concerned can have my seat. I have seen folks give up their seats at Disney. Usually folks thirty and over giving up a seat for an elderly person, or small child. I've even seen elderly men give up a seat to a child. But no young people. It's a different world.
I hope that isn't the case. We try to teach good manners and thoughtfulness. Generally we have found people to be sensitive to others regardless of age,ethnicity, or country. We travel to WDW with my 80 year old mom and I can't remember a time when there was SRO that she wasn't offered a seat from someone on a bus.

SleepingMonk

Yes I have kids, and when they were young they had enough manners not to expect an adult to stand so they could sit. If there wasn't room on the bus I held them or we waited for another bus.

See the difference there? We took responsibility and acted accordingly, we didn't wait for someone else to sort us out.

The "it's for the children" and "it takes a village" nonsense is just more PC garbage that is killing our country.

No room for your kids on the bus? Take another bus, take a taxi, take your own car.

Don't expect others to accommodate your lack of planning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom