just back, etiquette questions

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yes I have kids, and when they were young they had enough manners not to expect an adult to stand so they could sit. If there wasn't room on the bus I held them or we waited for another bus.

See the difference there? We took responsibility and acted accordingly, we didn't wait for someone else to sort us out.

The "it's for the children" and "it takes a village" nonsense is just more PC garbage that is killing our country.

No room for your kids on the bus? Take another bus, take a taxi, take your own car.

Don't expect others to accommodate your lack of planning.

Tell me Kresken, how are people supposed to plan for the number if people on a bus before they get on it?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Buses have doors and windows.

Look inside.

Is it full?

Wait for the next one.

MAGIC!

Right. How utterly underwhelming. And of course, if a bus is there it kind of kills the ability to "plan" for it. But, don't let facts get in the way....

LucyintheSky

I am a woman in her early 30's, and if it was just me standing, I would in no way expect anyone to give up his seat for me, even a younger man. I'm perfectly able to stand just as much as he would be. I wouldn't be insulted if someone offered, but I'd just feel extremely guilty.

However, when my son was younger, and I'd be struggling with his stroller and trying to hold him, I would have greatly appreciated someone giving up a seat. But I'd think that was more that they're helping out a parent with a small child, rather than a man "having" to give his seat to a woman.

I would (and have) stood up so people with small children, and elderly people of either gender could sit. To me it's just common courtesy.

ETA- when I say small children, I mean babies, toddlers, and kids under say, 6. My son is 6, and even though he can't reach the upper handle bars, he can hold onto the bars that are on top of the seats, and he's managed just fine.

zurgandfriend

My parents raised me to always offer my seat on a bus or the subway to someone; Ladies, seniors etc. who looked like they need it.
Last time I was at WDW people offered their seats to me!
I was riding the monorail with DS and a woman told me my grandson looks just like me. When I said that he was my son she said “oh second marriage huh.” I laughed and told her no DW and I just got a late start but DS, a teen, turned red with embarrassment.
When me went back to our resort DS insisted we ride in different cars.

SleepingMonk

Right. How utterly underwhelming. And of course, if a bus is there it kind of kills the ability to "plan" for it. But, don't let facts get in the way....

That makes zero sense.

It ultimately comes down to the fact someone doesn't want to be inconvenienced by waiting for another bus they want you to be inconvenienced by giving up your seat.

Again, take responsibility and sort yourself out.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
That makes zero sense.

It ultimately comes down to the fact someone doesn't want to be inconvenienced by waiting for another bus they want you to be inconvenienced by giving up your seat.

And just how many times did you have an elderly person or parents of small children demand you give up your seat due to their lack of alleged "planning?" Spare us the drivel....

Tears0Fire3000

I have seen a bus driver refuse to leave until someone got up to let a pregnant woman sit, and I do think it's kinda sad that that had to be done, but on the flip side I've left the park many times at midnight closings with long line for buses and seen families with little kids try to jam onto an already full standing bus, instead of waiting for the next bus. I've also had times were I've gotten up to give my seat to someone whom needed it more, but I agree with the statement that you never now why someone else is sitting, maybe they need to sit more then you think. There are also many times where I see children whom can easily be held on a parents lap, freeing up more seats, but the parents do the same "eye contact avoidence" as the many teens and young adults people complain about.
Oh and I'm a girl in my 20's and I would find nothing wrong with a guy getting up and offering me his seat(I might take it I might not), but i have NEVER seen any guy in disney offer a seat to a woman, unless she had a baby or was elderly and again I don't think a guy should have to give up his seat, but I'm just saying I wouldn't take offense.
So the way I see it, yes people should get up for others, but this is the real world and the buses are first come first serve, if you need a seat that bad wait for the next bus. (I do find the only time the buses are that crowded is when the parks first open and when they close)

captainkidd

That makes zero sense.

Or you could stop being selfish and lazy.:shrug:

magiconmainstrt

As a Mom, I have run across this situation once in a while on the monorail when leaving after an event at the MK.

Here's how I handle it...

My kids sit before me, and yes I will even tell my husband to sit down, but he wont unless I do. I offer my seat to anyone older than me or any child, but most of the time the an adult will put them on their lap.

My kids have gotten up (without prompting) to give their seat to any adult who may board the monorail if it is crowed, usually they tell them no thank you unless it is necessary.

But of course, my 12 year old also holds the door oepn for people walking out or in behind us in a restrnt. :ROFLOL:

All in all, when arriving at MK or leaving we have never had a bad experience (or at least one that stands out in memory).....maybe its the pixie dust?:ROFLOL:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
:lol:

So I am selfish and lazy because I refuse to stand for a kid.

Of course those parents are not selfish and lazy for refusing to wait for the next bus.

Makes perfect sense.

And what's the magic number here? 3? 4? How many should they wait for to meet your criteria of proper "planning?"

And conversely, just how many would you be willing to wait for? I'm willing to venture it's not that many either.....

captainkidd

:lol:

So I am selfish and lazy because I refuse to stand for a kid.

Of course those parents are not selfish and lazy for refusing to wait for the next bus.

Makes perfect sense.

To answer the 1st question, yes. You are.

Leaving a park at the end of the night, every bus is going to be crowded. No way to "plan" around that. Maybe the parents should tell the kids "Sorry - We're skipping the fireworks tonight because we don't want to risk you having to stand on a bus." How long should they wait? My guess is, they get in line with everyone else, and just get on the bus when they can.

I honestly can't believe this conversation is taking place. I guess we now know that some of those people that get talked about in Disney are members of this board.

happymom52003

1) On the parade seating front...it's amazing what level of entitlement a lot of WDW guests have.

It drives me crazy. It happens on the cruise line as well...we just got off the Wonder last week and had two instances of people trying to take our spots, and being very rude about it.

For the Sail Away party, we went up to deck 10 right after the lifeboat drill so that we could watch the party below (the stage was on deck 9). We were not trying to get there before anyone else, but it just so happened that we were one of the first families to get up there. As time went on, more and more people arrived until there were no more spots at the railing. Just as the party starts, a family comes up behind us and starts complaining that their kids can't see. The lady goes on and on about it, and then physically tries to push her kid around my husband so that the kid would be between my husband and the railing....even though our own kids were standing between us and the railing as well (we put our kids in front of us to make more room, rather than having all four of us lined up at the railing...so we were only taking up the width of two adults). We held our ground and would not let the kids get in front of us, and the entire sail away party she was complaining about it under her breath...but loud enough for us to hear!

The second time was at the Pirate Party. This time we intentionally got there pretty early, because we knew it would be crowded. Again, we went to deck 10 and found a spot on the railing. Sure enough, right before the party started we had a little bit of space next to us, and a family came up and tried to squeeze three people into a space that was barely enough for one person. Their kid (who was probably about 13....so not a little one) somehow ended up between the railing and my 8 year old son and my husband, so that I was now arm to arm with this kid, and my son and husband were behind us. After getting there 30 minutes early to ensure we had a spot on the railing, I was not too happy. So I very politely told the kid that he needed to move because my child and husband had been in that spot for 30 minutes. Well, he told his parents what I said and all h e double hockey sticks broke loose. The mom acted horrible! I just pretended I could not hear her. She actually called me a b----, in front of her kid and my kids! She got so mad, that she made her family leave the party!:brick:

SleepingMonk

And what's the magic number here? 3? 4? How many should they wait for to meet your criteria of proper "planning?"

And conversely, just how many would you be willing to wait for? I'm willing to venture it's not that many either.....

As many as it took.

If I knew the bus would be an issue I would take my own car.

Personal accountability.

It's an amazing concept.

SleepingMonk

It drives me crazy. It happens on the cruise line as well...we just got off the Wonder last week and had two instances of people trying to take our spots, and being very rude about it.

For the Sail Away party, we went up to deck 10 right after the lifeboat drill so that we could watch the party below (the stage was on deck 9). We were not trying to get there before anyone else, but it just so happened that we were one of the first families to get up there. As time went on, more and more people arrived until there were no more spots at the railing. Just as the party starts, a family comes up behind us and starts complaining that their kids can't see. The lady goes on and on about it, and then physically tries to push her kid around my husband so that the kid would be between my husband and the railing....even though our own kids were standing between us and the railing as well (we put our kids in front of us to make more room, rather than having all four of us lined up at the railing...so we were only taking up the width of two adults). We held our ground and would not let the kids get in front of us, and the entire sail away party she was complaining about it under her breath...but loud enough for us to hear!

The second time was at the Pirate Party. This time we intentionally got there pretty early, because we knew it would be crowded. Again, we went to deck 10 and found a spot on the railing. Sure enough, right before the party started we had a little bit of space next to us, and a family came up and tried to squeeze three people into a space that was barely enough for one person. Their kid (who was probably about 13....so not a little one) somehow ended up between the railing and my 8 year old son and my husband, so that I was now arm to arm with this kid, and my son and husband were behind us. After getting there 30 minutes early to ensure we had a spot on the railing, I was not too happy. So I very politely told the kid that he needed to move because my child and husband had been in that spot for 30 minutes. Well, he told his parents what I said and all h e double hockey sticks broke loose. The mom acted horrible! I just pretended I could not hear her. She actually called me a b----, in front of her kid and my kids! She got so mad, that she made her family leave the party!:brick:

According to some here you were the one in the wrong.

Yes you planned ahead and acted responsibly but you still should have stepped aside and let those kids with failures for parents jump ahead and take your spot.

After all...."it's for the children!"

:ROFLOL:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
As many as it took.

If I knew the bus would be an issue I would take my own car.

Personal accountability.

It's an amazing concept.

Right. Even though the buses only run for so long after the parks close. But, I'm sure you'd simply wait until the very end, just to have the bus all to yourself...:brick:

What about those people without a car?

Quite frankly, this is more about personal sanctimony than it is personal responsibility...

And again, how many people have actually asked you to give up your seat?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom