Jungle Cruise to get holiday overlay

Goofyernmost

Yeah, but everyone knows the decorations, colors, and Santa Claus are specifically "Christmas."

Not saying "Christmas"does offend me, but it has nothing to do with not acknowledging Christ. It's the name of the holiday. Everyone knows it. Don't patronize Guests by pretending it's called "holiday"—that's a vacation. People visit Disney at this time of year knowing that it's (1) America and (2) the Christmas season. TDL, Hong Kong DL, and DLP all call the season "Christmas"; only the American parks are stuck in 1995-era politically correct stupidity.

Anyway, I'm impressed we're getting any overlay at all.
No, it's the name of A holiday in the holiday season. There are many others starting with, for some people Halloween, but mostly from Thanksgiving thru New Years Day. This isn't political correctness, god knows that no one hates PC more than I do. It's because even though the Parks are generally decorated with the Christmas theme, it isn't just Christmas. As a courtesy to those that believe different things we, in a setting like WDW should respect all people from all over the world and in that case Happy Holidays works. If you are in a town with almost 100% Christian population then not saying Merry Christmas is PC, and stupid.

Tigger1988

No, it's the name of A holiday in the holiday season. There are many others starting with, for some people Halloween, but mostly from Thanksgiving thru New Years Day. This isn't political correctness, god knows that no one hates PC more than I do. It's because even though the Parks are generally decorated with the Christmas theme, it isn't just Christmas. As a courtesy to those that believe different things we, in a setting like WDW should respect all people from all over the world and in that case Happy Holidays works. If you are in a town with almost 100% Christian population then not saying Merry Christmas is PC, and stupid.
Yup, when your holiday season starts on Nov 8 (as Disney's does) you're going to have to acknowledge that there's several important holidays between that day and Jan 1.

It's the holiday season, several holidays are involved. It's amusing though, the most offended and annoying people are those who get bent out of shape over someone saying "happy holidays" not the other way around.

Animaniac93-98

Yup, when your holiday season starts on Nov 8 (as Disney's does) you're going to have to acknowledge that there's several important holidays between that day and Jan 1.

Except Disney has no intention of formally recognzing any of those holidays, with the exception of New Years. Using "Holiday" when you really mean Christmas, is a case of incensiere political correctness.

Yensid1974

Well, to add a little first hand perspective as I started training the WDW skippers on the new stuff. It is a good start at adding a little more holiday flavor to the parks. I hope it is supported by the majority of WDW fans and hopefully that will translate into more offerings in the future. I know some don't believe that really works, but honestly sometimes it does.

lazyboy97o

Except Disney has no intention of formally recognzing any of those holidays, with the exception of New Years. Using "Holiday" when you really mean Christmas, is a case of incensiere political correctness.
I always love when people toss in Ramadan to be "inclusive" oblivious to when it occurs.

Goofyernmost

It never stops amazing me just how self involved we Christians are. Other religions have holidays during the same approximate time period as Christmas. Yet, we can not be magnanimous enough to allow those days to be important to others. No, it's Christmas dammit! And we are going to say it until your ears bleed. The problem is that even though December 25th is Christmas others celebrate all around it. There is nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas amongst ourselves. In fact it is the proper thing to do, but, in a public setting a simple Happy Holidays includes so many others, does not diminish Christmas for us in any way and doesn't exclude a majority of the worlds population by insisting that Christians are the only ones that do anything of importance during that time period. Remember Christmas is just one of the holidays in the framework of the Holidays.

If we Christians cannot be open minded enough to realize that we do not make up the entire world we would be able to accept that as a Christian we should be able to understand that during that time period, if someone says happy holidays to us, Merry Christmas is what it means to us. We have got to come to grips with the fact that we are not the only people on this planet and be Christian enough to share.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Pretty great that this turned into a war on christmas thread. WDW is potentially adding something most of us have been clambering for, and people can't help themselves but go far off topic.

If you all MUST talk about Christmas vs Holidays, either A. start a thread in chit chat. or B. Take it to PMs.

Animaniac93-98

It never stops amazing me just how self involved we Christians are.

Actually, I'm athiest/agnostic. But thanks for implying that I'm a self-involved religious fanatic becuase I know a Christmas tree when I see one. :rolleyes:

I'm not arguing about whether "holiday" or "Chirstmas" is a more appropriate term to use in modern western society. I'm just saying in Disney's case I'm calling a spade, a spade and they should too like they already do in their other parks and resorts.

Animaniac93-98

The Haunted Mansion is a bigger attraction than the Jungle Cruise and yet people don't complain about its holiday overlay in California

Some do (like those who do not like Nightmare Before Chistmas or any overlay on the Mansion), but generally speaking people like both it and Small World Holiday because they are quality makeovers. If Jungle Cruise is too, then people will like it.

I don't think the locals vs. tourists factor has much to do with it, though regular visitors would of course appreciate the change in scenery.

vonpluto

Festivus.jpg
Well.....

Goofyernmost

The Haunted Mansion is a bigger attraction than the Jungle Cruise and yet people don't complain about its holiday overlay in California
Yes, I do! I hated it. It was not enjoyable and completely changed the atmosphere of the Haunted Mansion for me. I realize that many do like it, I don't. So count me one vote against.

cspencer96

I think this will be pretty cool, if executed well. I've never experienced Haunted Mansion Holiday at DLR, but I can understand at least some of why it isn't at WDW - different demographics. At DLR, the crowd is mainly locals, APs, day guests, etc. At WDW, there are people who save their whole lives for ONE trip, and they have heard about all of these amazing things (yeah, I know I am repeating keys to the Kingdom script stuff, but you can't argue that it isn't truth) that are classics. If they are going to play with the classics, they must be played with respectfully. From videos I have seen, HMH at Disneyland completely alters the Mansion experience, in a way that would be cool to people like myself, who go at least 5-6 times a year. It'd be different, fresh. But to a once in a lifetime guest, who may never be back, that *may* be dissapointing to see the classic Haunted Mansion, one of the greatest Disney attractions of all time, overrun by modern film characters (albeit ones from one of the greatest hybrid holiday films of all time).

Jungle Cruise as Jingle Cruise however, wouldn't be that way. The Jungle Cruise is special because it is different each time in some way, and because of its storyline, setting, and atmosphere, I feel that doing a holiday overlay would actually add to the experience at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom